ADVERTISEMENT

Walker

Originally posted by BoilerFan#35:
Nage you say 3 stars aren't acceptable so youre saying Purdue would of been better without Kramer, LewJack, Byrd, Smith, Edwards, and Mathias in the Painter era? I don't see your point all those guys could of been on high majors. Saying Thompson is a bust who really had a solid finish to his season is crazy. Do you think Bo Ryan cares about stars? He doesn't and we didn't in the Hummel era just need to get back to finding guys with the Purdue mold. FYI guys can develop Octeus wasn't rated.
I never said 3 star recruits were unacceptable. I never said Thompson was a bust. You are putting words into my mouth.

They were stating above that every school recruits players with the specific idea of them being role players. I provided examples to the contrary.

Thompson is limited athletically for a guard his size at this level. That's what I stated, not that he is "a bust". Yes, he had some good games at the end of the season, but that doesn't change the fact that he will still have limitations in terms of his quickness and athletic ability next season, the season after that, and the one after that.

I'm stating that the coaching staff can do better than recruit with this presumed idea that they have to recruit role players. 5-star and 4-star recruits generally end up being better college players than 3-star or less recruits. That's all I was stating by mentioning the types of recruits that this coaching staff misses on more than they get.

Bo Ryan gets better overall recruits than many people seem to realize. He just has that stigma attached to him, for some reason, similar to the one about Gene Keady's teams always overachieving when they had inferior talent. Also, in regards to the 3-star types that Bo Ryan does get, he's a better coach than Matt Painter, so he generally ends up with better results in his system.

Originally posted by purdue4sure:

Originally posted by BoilerFan#35:
Quick question about the Johnson's why does everyone bash on Terone what did he do wrong he? I always liked Terone he was a role player that just couldn't step up and be a leader still was a hard worker though.
TJ was and is a Boiler, through and through. People who bash him are no better than the trailer trash peegies who want to be associated with a winner to make them feel like a winner.
Agreed. TJ had a rough career, but that was largely due to the recruiting around him. I wouldn't really even say that he didn't step up. I'd say that a poor supporting cast (or a supporting cast that didn't mesh) made the step impossibly high.

If you want to see what TJ's Purdue career should have been like, just look at the last 1/3 of his sophomore year. He was surrounded with three good long-range shooters (Smith, Byrd, Hummel), which opened up things for him. He scored a lot, shot well, and was instrumental in big wins over Michigan and against St. Mary's in the tournament.

Bo Ryan was 6 years older when he took the Wisconsin job than Matt Painter is now. Painter is still learning and growing as a coach and I believe that his best days are ahead of him.

PJ exceeded my expectations this year. I think that he can be a very good point guard. Think Alex Barlow with more athleticism. I think that he has room to improve his body and get quicker and more explosive and I think that we'll see much of that transformation next season.

What I didn't realize about PJ until later in the year is how quick his hand are. I expect him to get a lot of steals and cause a lot of tie ups over the next three years.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I was surprised with PJs hands but Dakotas shocked me so many great defensive plays towards the end of the season.

Oh no! We have no one committed for the 2016 class. What a disaster! Painter needs to get his chit together on rexcruiting....

Wait.... you mean DUke has no one committed for the 2016 class too? Gosh, maybe this is the way we want things to be since most of the best players are reluctant to commit early, and want to go through the recruiting process. It is a once in a life time experience for good players. Who wouldn't want to go through the full recruiting process?

When I read the Walker reasons for decommitting, it would seem he wants to go through the process too. Good for him and good luck to him. He probably committed too early anyway.

cool.r191677.gif

Originally posted by mathboy:
Oh no! We have no one committed for the 2016 class. What a disaster! Painter needs to get his chit together on rexcruiting....
For those complaining that Purdue has no 2016 commitments... are you the same people who complain about past commitments being too early?

PJ exceeded some of my expectations at the end of the season. Weatherford will be a true freshman trying to play the most difficult position in basketball in the best conference in the country. But the most important thing in my mind is not who the PG is but can Painter take the pieces he has next Oct and make them fit together well enough to win. I think he did that this year. A rough start yes, but the end result far exceeded most people's expectations. Flipping Hass to Purdue was huge. I don't know if getting Octeus was dumb luck, but Painter plugged him in and made it work. If he has his type of players, he can coach. He is an average recruiter. Purdue is not an easy sell to 5 star recruits no matter the coach. Painter needs to get his type of players, develop them and let upperclassmen lead the way. Butler and Wisconsin are similar programs in my mind. Alex Barlow is not your prototypical PG, but he is smart, tough as nails and can shoot. I would take him and his slow feet any day.

Ryne Smith

Ryne Smith was good? Apparently we have different standards for what a good college basketball player is.

Anyway, I'm love Purdue basketball with all my heart, but I don't know why any legit point guard would choose Purdue (except for educational purposes). I've never heard of a point guard who wants to play in a plodding offense.

Good luck, C.J.!

Wait.... you mean DUke has no one committed for the 2016 class too? Gosh, maybe this is the way we want things to be since most of the best players are reluctant to commit early, and want to go through the recruiting process. It is a once in a life time experience for good players. Who wouldn't want to go through the full recruiting process?

When I read the Walker reasons for decommitting, it would seem he wants to go through the process too. Good for him and good luck to him. He probably committed too early anyway.

cool.r191677.gif
With all due respect, this post is not very relevant to Purdue. The highest ranked players tend to take longer to commit usually because the players are trying to see what the rosters will look like in the schools they are considering before committing. It is not unusual that Duke has no cmmits becaue by then end they will end up with 3 top 50 players or so. Purdue recruits 4* and 3*, those tend to be the earliest to commit. Purdue is not in the same league as Duke recruiting-wise. We are not competing for top 20 players.

From a quick look, there are 5 commitments for this class across all 14 Big Ten schools.

We're not behind.

Originally posted by atmafola:

cool.r191677.gif
With all due respect, this post is not very relevant to Purdue. The highest ranked players tend to take longer to commit usually because the players are trying to see what the rosters will look like in the schools they are considering before committing. It is not unusual that Duke has no cmmits becaue by then end they will end up with 3 top 50 players or so. Purdue recruits 4* and 3*, those tend to be the earliest to commit. Purdue is not in the same league as Duke recruiting-wise. We are not competing for top 20 players.
Well, point taken about Duke. However, we are not behind anybody elseregarding our 2016 recruiting. We have about 2 (replacing AJ and Davis?) schollies to give out, and I want us to target and get some significant players. I don't think a short water-bug like guard is what I woould have chosen as a significant player.

I really dislike early verbals since they often lead to both sides regretting the decision. Let's let the recruiting flow along the lines of all the other schools and not rush into accepting players that are less than our usual 4* level.

cool.r191677.gif

Since I brought up the TJ and RJ, I'll respond to this...

I didn't bash TJ at all and tend to agree that he should have been a role player with better players around him, but the fact is that he did dominate the ball at times and the offense frequently plodded down as he didn't move much on offense without the ball in his hands. I'm not bashing TJ as a person, rather I am looking at the evidence of his movement on offense and his frequent inability to share the basketball on the offensive end as he probably felt the need to create on his own rather than trusting his teammates.

Re: Since I brought up the TJ and RJ, I'll respond to this...

TJ was most effective as a sophomore when Purdue had great outside shooters and no post game. Once Painter committed to building the offense around Hammons and Hummel/Smith moved on, it put a premium on a different set of skills.

This somewhat hurts Purdue. Think about it. We go from having Octeus, Scott, and Thompson, to what would have been Scott, Thompson, Grant, Walker, now to having Thompson and Grant. Stay with me here, there's a lot of names in that short span. Hopefully with VEs ball handling skills, along with Mathias, we won't have a problem in the PG area.

Agree 100%. To paraphrase Darrell Royal, "there are 3 things that can happen with early commitments, and 2 of them are bad."

There was some one earlier that mentioned the need for a 'TRUE' PG now a days and when you look at a team like Whisky, they really don't have a true PG. Rather, they use a couple combo guards that are more like a 2 but can handle the ball. Hell, I've even seen Dekker bring the ball up on occasion during a game. If you can put two or three guys out there that are capable of handling the ball, you don't have to worry about having the opposing team's best ball handler guarding a guy like Edwards or Mathias while bringing the ball up. Simply pass it to another option who may not have the better on ball defender. Easy fix..hell, I wouldn't be bothered to much is Davis brought it up at times next season.

Exactly, JohnyDoe.

If the roster doesn't change, I predict a starting line-up of Mathias, Stephens, Davis, Edwards, and Hammons. I think that the traditional point guard duties can be shared by a group of versatile players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT