ADVERTISEMENT

Walker

Odd. I wonder if Purdue helped him with that decision. His offer list was not fantastic. Grades? Playing time?

Originally posted by Mcluck:
Odd. I wonder if Purdue helped him with that decision. His offer list was not fantastic. Grades? Playing time?
I doubt it. Outside of Jon Octeus appearing out of thin air, Purdue has really lacked in getting quality point guards in recent times. So, it would be foolish for the coaching staff to persuade him to look elsewhere. Walker's a small, waterbug type point guard, but he's good (better prospect than P.J. Thompson).

I'm guessing that people around him have been influencing him, or maybe he just decided on his own. If he doesn't re-commit to Purdue, this will be another black mark on Coach Painter's recruiting ability and reputation.

The quotes in the front page make me still respect the kid. This is what Ronnie Johnson should have done. Cj thinks that we play too slow and needs to look at other places to see how their pace of play would compare. Fine with me. Better to be an immediate fit (aka Mathias or PJ Thompson) than a player that never pans out due to style conflict (RJ) or a player that is still trying to fit into a role (Scott). I hope he re-commits b/c he looks like a really good player but if he doesn't want to conform to what Painter and Purdue want to run on offense then he definitely needs to look else where. We need kids dedicated and onboard as soon as they step foot on campus. It takes along enough for freshmen to adjust to the college game without them fighting the philosophies of the coach. Hope he comes back but if not it will be for the best.

Im all in with Weatherford everyone is worried about our offense but we don't need Grant to score just to play lock down D and feed the post which he is capable of.

Originally posted by BoilerFan#35:
Im all in with Weatherford everyone is worried about our offense but we don't need Grant to score just to play lock down D and feed the post which he is capable of.
Good point. If Cline were to decommit I'd be more concerned, but cj wanting to play elsewhere just doesn't come across of that big of a deal to me.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

How is this a black-mark on Painter's recruiting reputation? Kid changed his mind...he's 16/17 years old. Cmon...maybe he has a cousin who reads these boards and let him know there's a bunch of whiners complaining about their coach, who despite just having a really good season, can't seem to enjoy the success and then move on...

Originally posted by Boiledin90:
How is this a black-mark on Painter's recruiting reputation? Kid changed his mind...he's 16/17 years old. Cmon...maybe he has a cousin who reads these boards and let him know there's a bunch of whiners complaining about their coach, who despite just having a really good season, can't seem to enjoy the success and then move on...
You know, it could happen.

If u look at Purdue's recent decommits not many have done great elsewhere anyways. Molock and Willis aren't very good in college

Unless people on message boards are repeatedly bad-mouthing a kid (think Vander Blue when he de-committed from Wisconsin and chose to go to Marquette instead), which is not the case here, I highly doubt any other type of message board discussion negatively influences a recruit's decision of where to attend college.

Painter and his staff's overall recruiting is not very good for a B1G program that has done a good amount of winning in its history. Over the years, they have given scholarships to players that would have had to walk-on at many other high-major programs (i.e. Thompson, Weatherford, Tacos), outside of getting Swanigan, the 2015 class is shaping up to be decent at best, and they don't have any players committed for the 2016 class. You can bad-mouth me if you want, but the truth is they're not doing that good of a job recruiting, considering where they are coaching.

This post was edited on 3/29 3:50 PM by nagemj02

Agreed! Pretty sure I remember people on this board upset we signed "another small 3 star point guard." So now he leaves and its a black mark?kids change their minds, it happens. Posters will stick to their agenda of bashing painter at every opportunity, and this decommitment, which probably had 0 to do with painter, will be used to continue their bashing. Pretty obvious, by which posters have shown today.

Originally posted by nagemj02:
Unless people on message boards are repeatedly bad-mouthing a kid (think Vander Blue when he de-committed from Wisconsin and chose to go to Marquette instead), which is not the case here, I highly doubt any other type of message board discussion negatively influences a recruit's decision of where to attend college.

Painter and his staff's overall recruiting is not very good for a B1G program that has done a good amount of winning in its history. Over the years, they have given scholarships to players that would have had to walk-on at many other high-major programs (i.e. Thompson, Weatherford, Tacos), outside of getting Swanigan, the 2015 class is shaping up to be decent at best, and they don't have any players committed for the 2016 class. You can bad-mouth me if you want, but the truth is they're not doing that good of a job recruiting, considering where they are coaching.

This post was edited on 3/29 3:50 PM by nagemj02
Shouldn't you wait until Weatherford puts on a Purdue uniform and plays his first game before bad-mouthing the kid?

He can pick out 1 legit guy who should be a walkon (Tacos) PJ is a solid player. Can't judge Grant yet. Why didn't u out Chris Kramer and Ryne Smith on your list? Oh wait they were good in college and you only pointed out 1 real flawed recruit.

Bad business

A respected home state schoolr offers you a scollie, you accept knowing their style and then you claim you don't like their style. Sorry I don't like your style either bud.

Purdue has 6 four star players on its roster (and that doesn't include Vince Edwards/Dakota Mathias).

I do not know why this is SO HARD to understand, but EVERY program does not recruit players to start. You have 13 scholarships - there are 5 starters. Many teams only go 7 deep. Do you think all of these teams have 4 star recruits as their 12th man?

Travis Trice on Michigan State was a 3 star recruit and had killer offers from Dayton, Northwestern and Butler. PJ Thompson is a 3 star recruit who had offers from DePaul, Ball State, etc. Not really much of a difference there. And you're happy to crap on our 3 star players as soon as you get a chance.

This post was edited on 3/29 3:19 PM by lbodel

Originally posted by paintball1979:
A respected home state schoolr offers you a scollie, you accept knowing their style and then you claim you don't like their style. Sorry I don't like your style either bud.

Don't forget Patrick Bade... But regardless, I think overall painter has done a good job, just needs to stay true to what he's looking for, and be consistent.

concur

Nage- I'm really surprised that you are ripping the PJ offer. He was a spring offer in a five man class who received his offer late thanks to a solid senior year and combined with what I think was Painter knowing that his point guard was leaving. Not only that, but he had a solid freshman season and he wasn't going to be walking on anywhere.

That said, I think that this speaks to style of play. I think you'll see Painter follow the Bo Ryan path and recruit more combo guards that can shoot, pass, and have some size than pure point guards who are best at dominating the ball and initiate most of the offense with dribble penetration.

Ronnie Johnson is a perfect example of a talented point guard who wanted if different role than Painter wanted him to play.

It's weird that Walker specifically mentions wanting to play at a "faster pace." Despite what everyone in the world (and on here) seems to think, Purdue doesn't play that slowly. The length of our offensive possessions is roughly average for D1, and average for the B10. We don't play 100 mph like BYU, but neither do we avoid transition almost entirely like Wisconsin does.

And even if it were true, I just don't get the obsession with pace. You know what's really fun? Winning. You think Frank Kaminsky cares that his team only gets 60 offensive possessions a game instead of 70?

Originally posted by lbodel:

I do not know why this is SO HARD to understand, but EVERY program does not recruit players to start. You have 13 scholarships - there are 5 starters. Many teams only go 7 deep. Do you think all of these teams have 4 star recruits as their 12th man?

Travis Trice on Michigan State was a 3 star recruit and had killer offers from Dayton, Northwestern and Butler. PJ Thompson is a 3 star recruit who had offers from DePaul, Ball State, etc. Not really much of a difference there. And you're happy to crap on our 3 star players as soon as you get a chance.

not true

Every player in Kentucky's rotation this season is capable of starting for another major program. Kansas, Baylor, and Duke (with the exception of Marshall Plumlee) were/are a few others that have the same type of quality depth in their rotations as well.

I'm not happy to "crap" on anyone, but Thompson is a player that has limitations. I'm sure that Trice was a quicker player than Thompson in high school as he is in college. Just because they had similar ratings doesn't mean that their strengths and weaknesses are comparable. The bottom line is CMP seems to settle and offer some of the more intermediate prospects because he and the staff can't consistently get the 4 star types and have never gotten the 5 star prospects.

This post was edited on 3/30 12:48 AM by nagemj02

Originally posted by PU pit bull:

Now we're worried about how many stars are behind the kid's name again?
That seems to be the fallback argument, even though it can be one of the weakest things to use to support your agenda.

So there are 351 division 1 teams and you can give 1 example from 1 year. Because why the hell can't we be Kentucky? Geesh!

One thing Kentucky, Duke, etc. are typically not known for - having a deep rotation. Sure, there are years here and there it happens to workout. Kentucky had 7 players that played over 200 minutes last season. Four of their players played over 1200 minutes. That's certainly not deep. And let's not even talk about the year before that they weren't even in the tournament.

Did you know that Kansas has 3 star players in its rotation?

You realize we have four star players that come off the bench? We have a 4 star player in Scott who doesn't even play every game!

There's certainly things we can improve on and no, we're not flipping Kentucky. But guess what, nobody else in the Big Ten is either. This would be like holding our football program to duplicating Ohio State's recruiting results. It's not realistics, but it doesn't mean there aren't ways to be competitive and win. To start dumping on our players who don't even play consistently and say "no other programs would take someone like that!" is a load of garbage though.

I'm okay with this. I don't like short guards on the floor. They are a liability defensively, and can wind up with nasty mismatches if we are not careful. I would rather have 6' 2" type PG's. Not that there is anything wrong with this kid, I just like them taller for BIG play.

cool.r191677.gif

I don't like to see decommits, but at least he did so now so CMP has time to offer Wilkins or Simpson.

Originally posted by nagemj02:
Originally posted by lbodel:

not true

Every player in Kentucky's rotation this season is capable of starting for another major program. Kansas, Baylor, and Duke (with the exception of Marshall Plumlee) were/are a few others that have the same type of quality depth in their rotations as well.

I'm not happy to "crap" on anyone, but Thompson is a player that has limitations. I'm sure that Trice was a quicker player than Thompson in high school as he is in college. Just because they had similar ratings doesn't mean that their strengths and weaknesses are comparable. The bottom line is CMP seems to settle and offer some of the more intermediate prospects because he and the staff can't consistently get the 4 star types and have never gotten the 5 star prospects.

This post was edited on 3/30 12:48 AM by nagemj02
Earlier this year, Tom Izzo, who is in the Final Four again, said that he can't compete with Kentucky recruiting. No one can. It will be much easier for those who want Purdue to be Kentucky to simply switch to become Kentucky fans than it will be for Purdue to become Kentucky.

Nage you say 3 stars aren't acceptable so youre saying Purdue would of been better without Kramer, LewJack, Byrd, Smith, Edwards, and Mathias in the Painter era? I don't see your point all those guys could of been on high majors. Saying Thompson is a bust who really had a solid finish to his season is crazy. Do you think Bo Ryan cares about stars? He doesn't and we didn't in the Hummel era just need to get back to finding guys with the Purdue mold. FYI guys can develop Octeus wasn't rated.

Tacos is actually a terrible comparison...really, think about it...

Travis was offered at a time when, with his skill set, was believed that he should have been closer to 7 foot instead of 6'10. A kid with that skill set of being able to pass the ball and step out to 15-16 feet and hit a jump shot would have made him a poor man's Frank Kaminksy. Had he been able to play in the motion offense with players around him who shared the ball and used the pick and roll effectively, Travis could have been a matchup nightmare for most teams around the country.

His issues were these:

1. He didn't continue growing as was expected.
2. He played two years of his four years behind JJ and his other two years were with a PG (Ronnie Johnson) and a wing (TJ) who were, simply put, ball hogs.
3. He was over-recruited by Hammons, who has turned out to be a pretty good big man.

He literally played with an All American in JJ and then a top flight big man (even as a freshman and sophmore) in AJ. He wasn't a bad player at Purdue. He simply found his circumstances didn't shake out fully to his advantage...yet he never bitched or complained and we never heard a single thing about him being upset or wanting to transfer. As good of a jump as AJ made this year playing against Haas, Tacos provided a solid player for AJ to play against every day and that improvement in his first three years should be credited to Tacos as well.

Re: Tacos is actually a terrible comparison...really, think about it...

I also just thought of this Walker won't play with Hammons just Haas.. Haas will probably only play 25 mins a game and the rest Taylor will be the 5. Purdue won't be a slow team with Taylor at the 5 we probably will rely on the fast break with him on the floor so saying Purdue plays to slow for him is kind of odd.

Wasn't Carroll a top 60 recruit at the time that he committed? I thought that if there was a mistake made, it was offering too early, but waiting too long has its risks as well.

Originally posted by BoilerDaddy:
Wasn't Carroll a top 60 recruit at the time that he committed? I thought that if there was a mistake made, it was offering too early, but waiting too long has its risks as well.
This is true. Everyone was excited about the commitment, including those who later complained the loudest.

Rumor has it that RJ has been in this kid's ear for a while telling him he was making a mistake. Supposedly RJ is upset about how he and his brother have been discussed on this and other Purdue sites and is making a push to bad mouth Purdue at every opportunity (Or I could just be making this up.... you decide)

Originally posted by PurdueDave:
Rumor has it that RJ has been in this kid's ear for a while telling him he was making a mistake. Supposedly RJ is upset about how he and his brother have been discussed on this and other Purdue sites and is making a push to bad mouth Purdue at every opportunity (Or I could just be making this up.... you decide)
It wouldn't shock me if it was true.

Painter needs to get his recruiting chit together if he wants to improve the program going forward. I don't have an issue with Bryson transferring. But having recruits who the front page of this website bragged all year about: "Look at what future Walker recruit is doing for Tech." It's embarrassing especially when this is not a Kentucky that just restocks talent.

To blow this off as "well he doesn't want to be here" is baloney. Purdue wasted time and money to recruit this Walker. He just ups and decommits?

Sadly even with the positive turnaround this season. Painter is not out of the woods yet. It takes talent to win big. Remember Purdue barely got into the tournament.

Quick question about the Johnson's why does everyone bash on Terone what did he do wrong he? I always liked Terone he was a role player that just couldn't step up and be a leader still was a hard worker though.

Originally posted by BoilerFan#35:
Quick question about the Johnson's why does everyone bash on Terone what did he do wrong he? I always liked Terone he was a role player that just couldn't step up and be a leader still was a hard worker though.
TJ was and is a Boiler, through and through. People who bash him are no better than the trailer trash peegies who want to be associated with a winner to make them feel like a winner.

First off, this website is not Purdue's Basketball program.

Did he just up and recommit? Probably not. Purdue's not pursuing him any longer. Think that maybe there's something we don't all know about?

Not saying anything bad about the kid, but if he doesn't want to come here and Purdue's not terribly married to recruiting him anymore - isn't it a GOOD thing for it to be happening now? I'd rather it be happening now than this time next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT