ADVERTISEMENT

Villanova's Dylan Ennis to transfer

Jul 24, 2011
6'2" guard who averaged close to 10 points, 4 assists, and 4 rebounds last year will be transferring and eligible immediately as a grad transfer. Has anyone seen him play? Could he play the point, or is he more of an off guard?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I actually just found this quote from Jay Wright, "Dylan is interested in finding a program that will allow him to play the role of a traditional point guard so he can be the primary ball-handler." Sounds like this kid could be exactly what Purdue needs next year.

Sounds like a great opportunity. The Villanova squad this year was good, even if they choked in the tourney. I can't imagine this kid had nothing to do with their success.

In a way, I guess it's comforting to know that even successful programs are having problems with kids transferring.

I guess it's just the nature of the beast these days.

Originally posted by rgarlitz:
In a way, I guess it's comforting to know that even successful programs are having problems with kids transferring.

Yes contrary to a few, it isn't just us and like you said seems to be the nature of college basketball these days.

It's probably illegal for JO to call him and offer the badge to him.

Sounds like a great relationship, Purdue and Dylan. We could call him The Marshal....Marshal Dylan.

I assume it's like Dillon and not Dielan. Who knows with kids names anymore.

That was fun.

Someone like Ennis and Swanigan (I know, very unlikely) and we go from a 1st round exit team this year to a real contender next year. Let's see how much CMP's recruiting skills have evolved and see what he can get done.

Originally posted by cprh9u:
Someone like Ennis and Swanigan (I know, very unlikely) and we go from a 1st round exit team this year to a real contender next year. Let's see how much CMP's recruiting skills have evolved and see what he can get done.
Yeah Ennis looks like the real deal to me. Instant recipe for our needs.

Originally posted by BBG:

Originally posted by rgarlitz:

Yes contrary to a few, it isn't just us and like you said seems to be the nature of college basketball these days.
I believe it has become too easy to jump ship and kid's today are so pampered they don't know how to tough it out or to honor a committment. SIU-Carbondale has lost 5 players since the season ended. All of them came in knowing the program was in the dumpster and when it didn't become a big winner overnight they all started jumping ship looking for some love and a chance to show they are really NBA material. I hate to see it but I believe our country needs a depression or some other tough time to make people realize the value of what you earn and not what you are given. Not sure that will happen though since it is so important for incumbents to keep their jobs they will rob the future to keep everybody on easy street even when times are tough.

Did you read the 'Nova thread I linked? It seems like Ennis is prone to committing turnovers and not the best ball handler. Is that really what we want? We already have plenty of guys that can play the 2, and I think Ennis' skill set fits that position better. I'm not saying I wouldn't be glad to have him, but I'm just not sure he fills the hole we have.

Originally posted by boilerup6:
6'2" guard who averaged close to 10 points, 4 assists, and 4 rebounds last year will be transferring and eligible immediately as a grad transfer. Has anyone seen him play? Could he play the point, or is he more of an off guard?

He is not a PG.

He's a perfect fit for Purdue. He only hit 61 percent of his free throws.

I don't recall too much of his game from the little I watched Villanova, but it is impressive that he started 36 games for a #1 seed,

Purdue has a good system for plugging an experienced combo guard into the point guard position and has a definite need. If Ennis is leaving because of Nova's crowded and talented backcourt (with Brunson now in the mix), the chance to fill Octeus's void ought to look like a great opportunity to him.

And all this for a kid who played/started for a very good Villanova team, a #1 NCAA seed . . . And he was a 2-3 Star out of high school . . . More evidence we get too hung up on the ratings (stars) the "experts" give.

I trust Painter and staff will make the right/best call as to pursue or not.

Go Boilers!

Originally posted by boilerup6:
4 assists/game while not being the primary ball-handler is very good. He must not have too much sauce. He could be a good fit.

Originally posted by depthcharge623:
Did you read the 'Nova thread I linked? It seems like Ennis is prone to committing turnovers and not the best ball handler. Is that really what we want? We already have plenty of guys that can play the 2, and I think Ennis' skill set fits that position better. I'm not saying I wouldn't be glad to have him, but I'm just not sure he fills the hole we have.
At first no but now yes. Seems to be the type of player we like. Very good defense, good attitude, some offense but inconsistent there. That said, he gets good assist numbers at the 2 position and is a worker. Being from a good program I think he will be able to be a capable point guard if given the position. A seasoned vet. from an established program suits me since you want a guy who comes out of nowhere to blend quickly with the team. The pros from your link definitely out weigh the negs imo and most of their fans like him. We were worried about JO at first and overall I was happy with the last minute addition. Free throw % makes me cringe. I think he would be worth the chance especially if we committee it this year. Who knows there may be a better one out there but there are only so many who can play right away, are decent and are worth the gamble.

This guy sounds perfect. He, Trey Lewis, and Anthony Collins would all be good fits. Sounds like we are in a little bit with Lewis. Not sure on the others.

What do you mean we are in a little bit with Lewis? Have Painter and Co. shown interest in him? Out of the two, I'd rather have Ennis from what I'm hearing.

I think we have been spoiled by Jon Octeus - I wouldn't expect EVERY 5th year transfer to have the impact on a team like JO.

This guy sounds similar to JO. Maybe a better defender and more streaky. The link indicated that Dylan was not a great ball handler but or a PG but JO really was not really either. I would rather have t true PG but this guy could probably make Purdue better that it would be without anyone new at the PG position.

I don't know much about this kid but just looking at his stats.. Better assist to turnover ratio than octeus this year. Shot 36.3% from three and if he can improve that even a little bit he'd be one of our better shooters, which would be nice to have from the pg position. Seems like a rebounds decently well.

Ennis is an interesting player. He's a rock solid kid who will always play hard as hell and do whatever is asked of him. In short, he's a winner.

As others have noted, he's an extremely streaky shooter. He shot 36% from three, which isn't bad, but he'll go 4 for 5 one nite and 0 for 7 the next. He's not your classic point guard because he doesn't have a tight handle. but he's unselfish and can make some great passes and had a good assist to TO ratio, mainly because he was not the primary ball handler.

He'll play his balls off on D and has very long arms, which enables him to rebound very well and chip in with a few blocked shots, some of which are spectacular.

I'm not sure what the Boilers are looking for at the guard spot, but I'll speak for 99% of Nova fans when I say that wherever he lands, I hope he kicks ass, and he has a good chance of doing so.

Originally posted by 12jlkhgfdlk:
Ennis is an interesting player. He's a rock solid kid who will always play hard as hell and do whatever is asked of him. In short, he's a winner.

As others have noted, he's an extremely streaky shooter. He shot 36% from three, which isn't bad, but he'll go 4 for 5 one nite and 0 for 7 the next. He's not your classic point guard because he doesn't have a tight handle. but he's unselfish and can make some great passes and had a good assist to TO ratio, mainly because he was not the primary ball handler.

He'll play his balls off on D and has very long arms, which enables him to rebound very well and chip in with a few blocked shots, some of which are spectacular.

I'm not sure what the Boilers are looking for at the guard spot, but I'll speak for 99% of Nova fans when I say that wherever he lands, I hope he kicks ass, and he has a good chance of doing so.
Thanks for the post 'Nova fan. He sounds like a great fit. D first. Take care of the ball and get his teammates involved. Then hit the open jumper when it's there.

Is there any "official" timing for when the transfers should state where they're going? With JO being such a late pickup, my assumption is no, but I assume there is a practical deadline like a few weeks before school starts.

What jumped out to me when watching a profile video of Ellis was his condor-like build, with broad shoulders and long thick arms. He looks like he is built to create havoc.

thanks for the info. good stuff

Is he leaving Villanova because he thinks Jalen Brunson will come in and take up a lot of minutes?

Thanks for the info..

He sounds like he could fit into Purdue's system and with Painter's success with 5th year transfers the past two season he should have a good pitch to make to him backed up with playing time for those two as facts!

I agree that he sounds like a perfect fit for us both on and off the court

It appears that Purdue is among the schools showing the most interest in Ennis. It makes great sense given Purdue's needs and Ennis's reasons for transferring. I've seen this tweet repeated a few times:

Hoops Hype Canada @HoopsHypeCA
Follow
Villanova transfer Dylan Ennis drawing serious interest from Oregon, Purdue, Illinois, Iowa St and Baylor among others #NCAA #CdnBallers
10:59 PM - 5 Apr 2015
54 RETWEETS 44 FAVORITES ReplyRetweetFavorite

Originally posted by BoilerDaddy:
It appears that Purdue is among the schools showing the most interest in Ennis. It makes great sense given Purdue's needs and Ennis's reasons for transferring. I've seen this tweet repeated a few times:

Hoops Hype Canada @HoopsHypeCA
Follow
Villanova transfer Dylan Ennis drawing serious interest from Oregon, Purdue, Illinois, Iowa St and Baylor among others #NCAA #CdnBallers
10:59 PM - 5 Apr 2015
54 RETWEETS 44 FAVORITES ReplyRetweetFavorite

Thanks for the update.

Have you seen any tweets regarding Anthony Collins? I think it's still up in the air on whether or not Collins will be getting a degree at the end of this semester, so perhaps he won't be immediately eligible to play unless he can complete his credits needed through summer school or the like. That could be slowing down the recruitment of him.

This post was edited on 4/7 3:52 AM by nagemj02

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT