ADVERTISEMENT

Villanova's Dylan Ennis to transfer

I saw this quote in a Philadelphia Inquirer article:

"I've played with point guards and guards in the past," he said. "That had nothing to do with my decision. The style of play at Villanova, they'll never have the traditional point guard offense. I loved playing in a four-guard lineup, but I want the chance to be a point guard."
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/college/Dylan-Ennis-to-leave-Villanova-play-final-season-elsewhere-as-post-grad.html#TYgOvc5IVGL6Oc6u.99

If taken literally, it sounds like Ennis wants to run an offense that allows him to dominate the ball. It sounds similar to what Ronnie Johnson wanted. Frankly, it sounds like a bit of a stretch, but if true, Purdue may not be what he is looking for. Matt Painter recently spoke about how sensitive he is to chemistry issues so I am certain that he will make clear to Ennis what he is being recruited for.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

While I don't think Purdue runs a very traditional PG system with a motion offense, I don't think what he's saying and what you're matching that up with is correct.

Villanova literally had a 4 guard system - and he had to share "PG duties" throughout the year (with Arcidiacano primarily). When you have 4 guards playing, you're never going to have close to a traditional PG role. While Purdue's may not be super traditional, it's traditional compared to Villanova.

I appreciate the insight, lbodal. Of the potential transfers that I am aware of, Ennis is the one that I hope Purdue gets.

I think that Octeus might be the best salesman in this respect, since he transitioned to point guard as a graduate transfer last season. I see a lot of similarities between the two.

Just want to echo what 12lakjflajdfl mentioned above. Dylan is a great kid and I wish nothing but the best for him going forward. I was extremely dismayed to see him go. I felt like he wore Villanova on his sleeve and I know he will do the same for whatever program he goes to next. Best of luck to you guys.

Originally posted by nagemj02:
Is he leaving Villanova because he thinks Jalen Brunson will come in and take up a lot of minutes?

Thanks for the info..
Another nova fan here - VU would have had 4 "point guards" next year with Ryan Arch, DEnnis, Phil Booth, and Jalen Brunson. However, all 4 would have gotten meaningful minutes (at least 20 per game). DE would have played a TON for nova next year because Jay Wright values defense and rebounding and DE is the best of that bunch. However, offensively, we will play 3 of those guys at once a bunch and two of them always and by definition it really makes it more like a bunch of combo guards rather than a PG.

most nova fans are sad to see him go, understand his decision, and will be rooting hard for him wherever he lands. He is a class act all the way

Very sad that he's leaving. Probably more so than most Nova fans. Not a true point guard and the streakiest shooter you'll see. When he misses his first 3, it usually continues throughout the night. Case in point the NC State game. When he makes the first one he will hit them all night from anywhere and the net will barely move. That said he can put the ball on the deck and score going to the hole in very big spots (i.e. when the team really, really needs a bucket). Tremendous rebounder in traffic and a great defender. Put him on the other teams best 6'5" and under player and you will be very happy. His free throw shooting will drive you nuts bc its illogical that a kid with his talent isn't 70% or better.

But as USMC said, he's an awesome person that is very easy to root for. You will love him. Hope you get him.

Villanova fan here....I guess my name kind of gives that away. Dylan is SUPER athletic. Jay Wright will tell you he was the most athletic guy on our team last year. Really hustles and is a great defender. He had several blocks this year on players much taller than he is. He is a good 3 point shooter, not great, but good, he can have stretches where he gets hot.

He also was a PG at Rice before transferring to Villanova. At Rice he broke the record for most assists as a freshman so the kid can distribute the ball. That alone should shoot down any talk that the kid can't play PG because he can. Dylan is not a bad ball handler but not NBA good.

Anyway, this kid is a high major player, the reason he is leaving Villanova is he wants a shot at the league and he knows that his only shot is playing PG for 30+ minutes a game somewhere, so yes, him transferring is because he is looking for a bit of an NBA tryout somewhere BUT the kid is a TEAM player and somebody you want on your team. Just a very likeable kid.

Conclusion: If he ends up at Purdue you should all be very excited. Best of luck!

I agree with the other VU posters. Seems like a great kid who will be missed. Understand his position. On VU next year he would be the 4th point guard but possibly the 1st shooting guard. He wants though to be a point. Best of luck to him

Thanks for all of the nice comments Nova fans. Have you guys heard anything about where he may be headed?

Nova fans: Thanks for showing up and giving your insight on Ennis. Sounds like he is really similar to Jon Octeus (fifth year transfer PG we had this year) - very long and athletic combo type that will do the dirty work, can drive the lane, but struggles from outside at times. As long as the guy can bring the ball up the court and help us regroup when the offense stalls, we'll take him. We need anything we can at the point. The fact that this guy is a combo that also likes to rebound and defend makes him a near perfect fit IMO, as it sounds like he could easily play off ball in our half court motion.

One question... any reason you all jumped over here other than the fact that Purdue is recruiting him? The optimist in me wants to believe that you guys hopped over here b/c you heard he's interested in getting on board. We really do have a great situation for a 5th year PG IMO.

This post was edited on 4/9 10:52 AM by Toast.

Thanks Nova fans for providing you insight. He sounds like the missing piece to the puzzle, though I realize that he has many options and we really don't know if he is strongly considering Purdue.

The only noise I have heard is Oregon and now this from your thread. Follow him on twitter @canadiankidDJE. He is generally pretty forthcoming. His latest message is that he has not released his list of schools yet. Not going to lie, this happened to us a year ago to a much lesser role player (Tony Chennault) and he ended up coming back to us. I am hoping for another miracle :)

Just wanna jump in and thank all the 'Nova fans for their input.

Great stuff and much appreciated.

One question... any reason you all jumped over here other than the fact that Purdue is recruiting him? The optimist in me wants to believe that you guys hopped over here b/c you heard he's interested in getting on board. We really do have a great situation for a 5th year PG IMO.

This post was edited on 4/9 10:52 AM by Toast.
Two reasons:1) this thread was linked to an active thread on the Villanova board and 2) Ennis is well regarded on and off the court. All of the above Villanova posters following the program avidly.

PeterN is right on. Dylan is an extremely popular player. The fact that he only played 2 years for us and is nowhere near our best player is a testament to that. If He goes to Purdue (for a season anyway) you'd become all of our second favorite team. I wish him a 10 year nba career.

Whether he comes here or not, I'm pretty impressed with the graciousness of the Nova posters. It's a good reminder that there can be classy fans in other fan bases. I mean, that's an obviously true statement, but it's easy to forget. Forums tend to bring out the worst in people, regardless of where they're from.

Thanks again for your input, folks.

Wow....I think I've found a 2nd favorite team. What a classy bunch!
glasses.r191677.gif

Maybe we can trade Rutgers for them. On second thought, I am not sure I want to play them every year in BB unless it is in the NCAAs

Didn't mean it quite like that sounded, sorry about that. I try not to take pot shots from the cheap seats.

This post was edited on 4/9 5:40 PM by zigybean

Supposedly @ ILL today (4/9) has he made it to Purdue yet or is anything scheduled?

It seems that Ennis is staying pretty tight lipped if that is how word is getting out where he is visiting. I admire that.

I think that Purdue offers a better situation than Illinois next season. Illinois returns point guard Tracy Abrams from an ACL injury, so the point guard position isn't as wide open as Purdue's. Also, with Rice and Egwu leaving, I think that Illinois has more question marks as a team next season (assuming Hammons returns). The one factor that may favor Illinois (depending on what Ennis is looking for) is the system, which features more isolation basketball than Purdue's motion.

I am optimistic that if Ennis is visiting Illinois, he is also visiting Purdue, given that both are large, public, Midwest, Big Ten schools with somewhat similar national reputations.

Kudos to the to our classy 'Nova posters. Just when trolls here (and everywhere) become unbearable. You are my second-favorite team now.

Originally posted by BoilerDaddy:
It seems that Ennis is staying pretty tight lipped if that is how word is getting out where he is visiting. I admire that.

I think that Purdue offers a better situation than Illinois next season. Illinois returns point guard Tracy Abrams from an ACL injury, so the point guard position isn't as wide open as Purdue's. Also, with Rice and Egwu leaving, I think that Illinois has more question marks as a team next season (assuming Hammons returns). The one factor that may favor Illinois (depending on what Ennis is looking for) is the system, which features more isolation basketball than Purdue's motion.

I am optimistic that if Ennis is visiting Illinois, he is also visiting Purdue, given that both are large, public, Midwest, Big Ten schools with somewhat similar national reputations.
They have Tate also. This one doesn't make a lot of sense.

Given the opponent check out Ennis' block versus Michigan. Dylan is 6'2" and the shot he blocked was against a much taller player. The best part is that he treated it as another day at the office rather than pounding his chest and resorting to other nonsense.

Ennis block versus Michigan

I just looked into this and realized that Jeff Neiburg is a freelance writer in Philly so the meeting with Groce apparently was in Philly, rather than Illinois.

Originally posted by Ben Shadeland:
Whether he comes here or not, I'm pretty impressed with the graciousness of the Nova posters. It's a good reminder that there can be classy fans in other fan bases. I mean, that's an obviously true statement, but it's easy to forget. Forums tend to bring out the worst in people, regardless of where they're from.

Thanks again for your input, folks.
This. When the iu fans misbehave, they tell us "everyone does it."

These Nova fans don't.

Originally posted by Chuchumutha:

Originally posted by BoilerDaddy:

They have Tate also. This one doesn't make a lot of sense.
Agreed. Come to Purdue! You can potentially get 30 mpg at PG with a lot of talent around you and the ability to win next year. Hope it works out.

Good news, but that is still quite a (random) list.

I can't speak of some of the schools on there, obviously selfishly we would be a good fit for him.

I'm fairly certain I was a tweet from either Chris Forman or G&B saying that Painter was traveling to Philly to visit with Ennis.

ADVERTISEMENT