ADVERTISEMENT

Tyger Campbell official Purdue visit this weekend

If Purdue gets him will he be the best PG in the CMP Era?

Certainly the highest rated..... Love his handles, vision and willingness to pass with his great court vision.....and of course the hair is just pretty cool too.

Reactions: Frankie611
If Purdue gets him will he be the best PG in the CMP Era?

Certainly the highest rated..... Love his handles, vision and willingness to pass with his great court vision.....and of course the hair is just pretty cool too.
Biggie left a serious void in the awesome hair category. C Edwards and Taylor are going their best but we really need Tyger to help shore things up

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
Once he cuts that hair he will be that much better. thats some serious drag on his speed. like his head looks like it weighs an extra pound of hair.

I know everyone is all about the rankings but Hunter seems to be more of a playmaker. I’ve never seen either in person, only YouTube. This potentially could cause a log jam next year unless Painter intends on going with 3 guard lineups.
Cline, Eastern; Hunter, and Edwards will all get minutes.

I like this. With this visit and Painter also targeting and recruiting Ramey it is rather obvious he wants to add another guard to the 2018 class and isn't planning on banking that scholarship until 2019. .

I know everyone is all about the rankings but Hunter seems to be more of a playmaker. I’ve never seen either in person, only YouTube. This potentially could cause a log jam next year unless Painter intends on going with 3 guard lineups.
They will, but several of them offer different strenghts. I think Matt is seeing that in situation A, we need players X, but in situation B, we need player Y .... We have incredible breadth and flexibility. We could have eight starters. It will be a fun an interesting year or two.

Let's be honest, we are finally entering the space that the bluebloods have been in ... as in "who to play ... they're ALL good.."

He can easily go 3 guards. Hunter is listed at 6'3 but seeing him next to Williams I would say he is more like 6'5. Eastern is a legit 6'6 and Cline is around 6'5. There are plenty of bodies big enough to guard the 3. Adding Tyger wouldn't cause a jam at all. Tyger and Eastern would split at 1. Hunter and Carsen split at the 2 and Cline and Sasha will split at the 3. That's six people to split 120 minutes (depending on what Wheeler does and how ready Sasha is to contribute).

My guess is the starters will be Eastern, Carsen, Cline. Tyger will be the back up pg, Hunter will be the backup 2, and Sasha / Wheeler will battle for the backup 3. Wheeler will also log minutes as the backup 4 behind Williams. Haarms will have Dow and possibly Williams backing him up. Ewing seems to be more serviceable as a backup at the 4. It will be interesting to see how much Ewing is used. I am guessing Taylor is gone especially if he misses this year. The kid is so talented but he just can't shake the injury bug.

The next year we lose Cline. Following that we lose Carsen. If you can lock in players like Isaiah and Tyger, you do that. But Tyger needs to fit with the team. I am not worried that the seniors are gone because he won't be playing with them. He needs to see if he can fit with the players that will be back. Can he work with a player like Carsen. If he can't, then pass. If he fits right into the system and buys in, you absolutely take that shot. in the log jam, the best players will play and the others will sit. A 3 guard system will work just fine for next year and even the following year.

Last edited:
Something to consider. Dow is still learning the game, and Tre is coming off an injury and working hard at improving his game. Both players could make quantum leaps at their position this year. Our frontcourt status could change dramatically by this time next year.

I'm not worried about chemistry. I have to believe Tyger has played against several members of our future team on the AAU circuit and is probably currently communicating with them. Maybe they are the ones who are actively helping recruit him. I know Painter has recruited La Lum with mixed success. and Lutz has also recruited La Lum. I have to believe Painter sees a fit and a role for Tyger.

I compare Tyger's recruitment to Bowen's. With all the time Painter spent at La lum last year recruiting Epperson, he obviously saw both Bowen and Tyger play. yet he made no attempt to sign the very talented Bowen. Painter was recruiting Tyger before he committed to DePaul, and is recruiting him once more. Unlike Bowen, Painter must really like and want Tyger to be part of the team.

Great players and I mean truly great players crave competition like a engineering student craves a Purdue degree . Hunter was recruited as a shooting guard and Carsen may well be gone . I love the fact Biggie is involved here also what a huge asset he will be . I believe we land Tyger because we are the best fit .

Something to consider. Dow is still learning the game, and Tre is coming off an injury and working hard at improving his game. Both players could make quantum leaps at their position this year. Our frontcourt status could change dramatically by this time next year.

I'm not worried about chemistry. I have to believe Tyger has played against several members of our future team on the AAU circuit and is probably currently communicating with them. Maybe they are the ones who are actively helping recruit him. I know Painter has recruited La Lum with mixed success. and Lutz has also recruited La Lum. I have to believe Painter sees a fit and a role for Tyger.

I compare Tyger's recruitment to Bowen's. With all the time Painter spent at La lum last year recruiting Epperson, he obviously saw both Bowen and Tyger play. yet he made no attempt to sign the very talented Bowen. Painter was recruiting Tyger before he committed to DePaul, and is recruiting him once more. Unlike Bowen, Painter must really like and want Tyger to be part of the team.
Could also be that CMP knew Bowen was dirty and stayed as far away from him as possible.

Once he cuts that hair he will be that much better. thats some serious drag on his speed. like his head looks like it weighs an extra pound of hair.

Getting close to full Fletch mode.....

Hope the visit goes well for everyone....he can play, and I think CMP could bring out the best in him with the team he's building.....we shall see.

DMhMKXrWkAID2ta.jpg

512M0oQZ3FL._SY445_.jpg

Could also be that CMP knew Bowen was dirty and stayed as far away from him as possible.

I fully believe CMP knew Bowen was dirty. That's why his recruitment of Tyger intrigues me. he recruited him once and was basically turned down. given a second chance, he's recruiting him just as strong as he did before. To me that speaks volumes. By now, we should know and realize Painter's ethics and values. He only recruits certain players, and as part of that process, he only recruits players he believes will fit in with his system and the chemistry of his team . Since this is his second go around recruiting tiger, I have to believe Painter believes Tyger will be a great fit for this team.

We talk a lot about the blue blood and elite programs. Purdue is on the edge and close to becoming one. Rather than recruiting a player because we have a need or an opening, Painter is recruiting a player because of his talent. not many programs can make that claim.

As of today 247 sports now has Purdue as the favorite in their crystal ball prediction @ 42%. I know there isn't a ton of fact behind those predictions, but still could be significant. Tyger would be a great addition to this class.

Just to be clear about Tyger some post are less than accurate . Painter started recruiting him 2 years ago when he was playing for Indy Spiece Heat . DePaul hired his former HS coach to secure the commitment . This while a bit sketchy isn't illegal . Where we stood with him prior to the DePaul commit is anybody's guess . But to infer that he is somehow dirty because he attended LaLu at the same time as Bowen is at the very least a stretch . Just because your a five star recruit doesn't mean your dirty it simply means your good .

Wonder if CMP will have Williams and/or Hunter in this weekend to add to his recruitment weekend. (no doubt Dow is too far away......but many HS are on fall break they might have the time to come down/up)

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Just to be clear about Tyger some post are less than accurate . Painter started recruiting him 2 years ago when he was playing for Indy Spiece Heat . DePaul hired his former HS coach to secure the commitment . This while a bit sketchy isn't illegal . Where we stood with him prior to the DePaul commit is anybody's guess . But to infer that he is somehow dirty because he attended LaLu at the same time as Bowen is at the very least a stretch . Just because your a five star recruit doesn't mean your dirty it simply means your good .

my comment is based on Painter has spent a lot of time recruiting players at La Lum with mixed success. The fact he did not bother trying to recruit Bowen when we had a need at SF speaks volumes. and the fact that he recruited Tyger, previously, and is doing so again after Tyger decommitted from DePaul also speaks volumes. UNLIKE Bowen, it tells me Painter really likes Tyger, and believes he will be a great fit on this team. And the fact Painter is recruiting Tyger tells me that Tyger is probably a great person on and off the court. I don't believe La Lum is a bad place full of athletes who are all on the take. Maybe one was. Maybe a couple were. but for the most part, their athletes are clean. I believe Tyger would be a great addition to Purdue.

I like his game, very smooth, has all around game that will only improve, great court vision. For those dbz fans, when he cuts his hair, it will be like when goku or piccolo takes off his weighted clothing and his speed increases.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
Just watched a number of highlights for the first time:

1: Is incredibly smooth and balanced with the ball in his hands.
2: That smoothness translates in tonthe way he is very fast. He has a suddenness in his attacking on the offensive end that is incredibly hard to defend. I don’t think Purdue has had a ball handler like that before. Lew Jack was quick and Ronnie Johnson was fast (albeit out of control)...but Tyger is very sudden yet smooth and under control.
3: Watching his AAU highlights, I noticed he still was controlling the offensive flow in a manner that wasn’t that traditional run and gun AAU style.
4: He shows an incredibly elite level of awareness around the rim to find a diving teammate when he isn’t able to get the ball on the rim. This is why he is a high value recruit for Purdue because pairing him with Carsen, Nojel, and Wheeler would be absolutely devestating in terms of the motion offense with drivers, cutters, and dives.
5: Showed very good ability to get his feet set and shoulders squared to the basket on his pull-up jumper. This translates well because in a highlight, everything goes in.
6: You can tell playing hard means a lot to him. He isn’t frequently at the rim scoring and be then sprinting back to get in defense. That isn’t something to overlook and why CMP has made Tyger a high priority again.
7: His ability would bring a unique aspect to Purdue’s roster that still leaves room for Isaiah Thompson. The two are different types of guards and I believe Isaiah is much more of a scoring combo guard like Carsen whereas Nojel and Tyger look to attack the lane and find teammates off of a screen or isolation.

2: That smoothness translates in tonthe way he is very fast. He has a suddenness in his attacking on the offensive end that is incredibly hard to defend. I don’t think Purdue has had a ball handler like that before. Lew Jack was quick and Ronnie Johnson was fast (albeit out of control)...but Tyger is very sudden yet smooth and under control.
3: Watching his AAU highlights, I noticed he still was controlling the offensive flow in a manner that wasn’t that traditional run and gun AAU style.
4: He shows an incredibly elite level of awareness around the rim to find a diving teammate when he isn’t able to get the ball on the rim. This is why he is a high value recruit for Purdue because pairing him with Carsen, Nojel, and Wheeler would be absolutely devestating in terms of the motion offense with drivers, cutters, and dives.
5: Showed very good ability to get his feet set and shoulders squared to the basket on his pull-up jumper. This translates well because in a highlight, everything goes in.
6: You can tell playing hard means a lot to him. He isn’t frequently at the rim scoring and be then sprinting back to get in defense. That isn’t something to overlook and why CMP has made Tyger a high priority again.
7: His ability would bring a unique aspect to Purdue’s roster that still leaves room for Isaiah Thompson. The two are different types of guards and I believe Isaiah is much more of a scoring combo guard like Carsen whereas Nojel and Tyger look to attack the lane and find teammates off of a screen or isolation.
you should apply for a job at GBI. Nice analysis....

Thanks for that.

To your point about being incredibly balanced, I didn’t get the sense in watching his highlights that he could be overplayed to the right or to the left. LewJack preferred to go right and RJ always wanted to go left, but Tyger looks very adept with either.

Last edited:
Thanks for that.

To your point about being incredibly balanced, I didn’t get the sense in watching his highlights that he could be overplayed to the right or to the left. LewJack preferred to go right and RJ always wanted to go left, but Tyger looks very adept with either.

He is very athletic and quick. As his shot improves, the sky is the limit. He has incredible basketball IQ and vision with great speed and decent size for a pg. It would be a very solid pickup and really help with future recruitment. Not to mention, the '18 class will be absolutely LOADED with talent.

Reading between the lines, I like our position.

It sounds like he isn't thrilled with his current options, but Purdue is the leader here. Reclassifying removed MSU as an option and they were the favorite before DePaul. I think his visit went well and he got to see the young guys shine. Haarms, Eastern, and obviously Carsen had very good outings.

I would say Purdue is in very good position. I think it would take a team like Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, or UNC to swoop in. Tyger has absolute star potentional and he may end up falling into Purdue's lap. I'll take it. At a minimum he helps recruiting going forward, and if he starts shootig like PJ he will be an All-American. It isn't that he can't shoot, he just prefers to drive. His drive is usually very smooth and he can take it to the rim or dish it with soft hands. This would be great get. He will fit in well and he is used to leading and winning at a high level. Even if we "win by default" I'll take that all the way to the bank and cash it. It will also be very good for the up tempo offense that a lot of recruits like to run. He can make a move quick with a good decision. Speeding up the tempo but not being out of control.

It must be said, because I can't say it enough. Even if we land Tyger, I still want Isaiah Thompson. He needs to be a Boiler!

Why do you say he isn't thrilled? Not because its Purdue, but more that now he is late in the game and rosters are filled up so he has limited choices? Did he watch the scrimmage?

Reactions: Gerard_Francisco
Why do you say he isn't thrilled? Not because its Purdue, but more that now he is late in the game and rosters are filled up so he has limited choices? Did he watch the scrimmage?

He said as much in the article that reclassifying set him back and the summer was ok. I think he liked Purdue and would be fine going here, but he missed out on teams that filled up or already committed to a PG.

My understanding is that he was st the scrimmage and got to meet with and talk with the players. Usually they get to practice as well to some extent. I am not sure 100% on everything he did so it would be guesswork.

He mentioned he liked Painter and thought he was a good fit for the system. It's easy to see why he would like us. As some schools miss on their first choice, he may pick up some late offers, but it sure does seem like Purdue is the front runner. Don't count out Zo if he misses on Ramey. Purdue is set up the best for the future of the teams that are pursuing him.

It sounds like he is in no rush and will wait it out to see if anything else opens up. It sounds like he will mesh just fine and Painter has confidence in him. We will have to play the waiting game though.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Is Tyger better than Robert Phinissee?

I haven't seen either play. Based on rankings, Tyger is higher. And he reclassified his recruitment year because he's ready for the challenge. But my real guess is he's better because he played at La Lum against a lot better competition than Phinisee played against.

It sounds like he isn't thrilled with his current options, but Purdue is the leader here. Reclassifying removed MSU as an option and they were the favorite before DePaul. I think his visit went well and he got to see the young guys shine. Haarms, Eastern, and obviously Carsen had very good outings.

I would say Purdue is in very good position. I think it would take a team like Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, or UNC to swoop in. Tyger has absolute star potentional and he may end up falling into Purdue's lap. I'll take it. At a minimum he helps recruiting going forward, and if he starts shootig like PJ he will be an All-American. It isn't that he can't shoot, he just prefers to drive. His drive is usually very smooth and he can take it to the rim or dish it with soft hands. This would be great get. He will fit in well and he is used to leading and winning at a high level. Even if we "win by default" I'll take that all the way to the bank and cash it. It will also be very good for the up tempo offense that a lot of recruits like to run. He can make a move quick with a good decision. Speeding up the tempo but not being out of control.

It must be said, because I can't say it enough. Even if we land Tyger, I still want Isaiah Thompson. He needs to be a Boiler!

I think Tyger being at Purdue doesn’t change that.

What you have in Carsen and Nojel in the two traditional guard roles could very easily be what Tyger and Isaiah become as well. In fact, you could easily have those two come off the bench and play off one another’s abilities as Carsen and Nojel. Thompson is much more of a scoring combo guard like Carsen whereas Tyger appears to be a get to the rim and create plays with great vision like Eastern. There is definitely room for both players imo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT