ADVERTISEMENT

Two incidents of domestic terrorism in two weeks...

anyone has the right to say what they want.
however there are caveats to that and possible repercussions - the example of yelling fire in a theatre, making personal threatening comments, etc

Hah! Thanks for bringing up a free speech violation! That ruling would NEVER fly today.

He didn't say there's many fine white supremacist. I watched the press conference. How the left interpreted what he said is beyond me. Listening is a skill.

He said there were fine people that were attending the protests.

If you were a "very fine" person and showed up to protest a statue removal on Friday or Saturday - and you found yourself standing next to people with Nazi flags, torches, had white supremacists speakers, heard chants of "Heil Trump", "f*** you fag***s", "blood and soil", "Jews will not replace us".....and you don't immediately turn around and leave?

You're not a very fine person.

You don't understand free speech. I have an absolute right to hear. They are one and the same.

Why do you oppose my right to hear another persons voice? Surely you aren't endorsing a heckler's veto.

Ironically, you have a fascist position. Thanks for telling me what I can hear.

How many times do beelzebub and I need to post this video?

Hate speech is only defeated with more speech, not less.

Tangent, but I very much miss his mind, and I would love to hear how he would tackle the Trump phenomenon.

On your point, though I empathize with Kescwi's position

Hate speech is only defeated with more speech, not less

Exactly

Reactions: ecouch
Hah! Thanks for bringing up a free speech violation! That ruling would NEVER fly today.

yup, listened to many hitchens talks

although some like libertarians will make further distinctions as to location of the speech as well (e.g. another's property, private property), hence various repercussions

Reactions: RowdyB
He said there were fine people that were attending the protests.

If you were a "very fine" person and showed up to protest a statue removal on Friday or Saturday - and you found yourself standing next to people with Nazi flags, torches, had white supremacists speakers, heard chants of "Heil Trump", "f*** you fag***s", "blood and soil", "Jews will not replace us".....and you don't immediately turn around and leave?

You're not a very fine person.

Like Trump said both sides were wrong. I know you don't see it that way, but that's what happened. And I didn't like it one bit.

I'm sure you may believe Trump is a racist. So riddle me this on Obama, when BLM was yelling "pigs in a blanket fry em like bacon". What did Mr. "non racist" Obama do about that issue?

You have a First Amendment right to speech, there is no right to be heard. If you truely hate racism, if you truely hate genocide, you truely view yourself as an American and a Christian, you have an obligation to shout those evils down, attack them, emphatically state they have no place here. But continue on with your fallacies of equivalence and what about them. Make sure everyone notices you at church Sunday.

Your first point is just untrue...I ask you to show one legal decision or scholarly article that supports this viewpoint.

As per your second point, if I understand it correctly, you are right. Sharing my opinion (peacefully) that genocide and racism are abhorrent, wrong, and have no place in this great country of ours is a duty and such views cannot be said enough. I'll even go so far as to say the white supremacists that marched in Charlottesville this weekend (and all white supremacists) are racists, bigots, and have disgusting points of view that have no place in modern society.

To continue on that note, however, I also feel it is a duty to engage in civil conversation with people who, in my opinion, advocate for laws/concepts that strike at the heart of what our democracy stands for.

Your first point is just untrue...I ask you to show one legal decision or scholarly article that supports this viewpoint.

As per your second point, if I understand it correctly, you are right. Sharing my opinion (peacefully) that genocide and racism are abhorrent, wrong, and have no place in this great country of ours is a duty and such views cannot be said enough. I'll even go so far as to say the white supremacists that marched in Charlottesville this weekend (and all white supremacists) are racists, bigots, and have disgusting points of view that have no place in modern society.

To continue on that note, however, I also feel it is a duty to engage in civil conversation with people who, in my opinion, advocate for laws/concepts that strike at the heart of what our democracy stands for.
Show me where the Supreme Court had ever said I must hear what someone utilizing free speech say? There is absolutely nothing untrue about my first point. A Nazi can say whatever he wants, rightfully, under the constitution. Show me where the court has said I must listen. You can't. Show me where they have said I can't over talk them, shout them down.

Show me where the Supreme Court had ever said I must hear what someone utilizing free speech say? There is absolutely nothing untrue about my first point. A Nazi can say whatever he wants, rightfully, under the constitution. Show me where the court has said I must listen. You can't. Show me where they have said I can't over talk them, shout them down.

I misunderstood your point (whoops). You are correct, you do not need to listen, which I suppose goes without saying.

In fact, I think that is what should have happened this weekend. Nobody should have given a crap about the damn rally.....a couple hundred idiots get together....nobody cares.....and everybody goes about their own business come Monday.

Like Trump said both sides were wrong. I know you don't see it that way, but that's what happened. And I didn't like it one bit.

I'm sure you may believe Trump is a racist. So riddle me this on Obama, when BLM was yelling "pigs in a blanket fry em like bacon". What did Mr. "non racist" Obama do about that issue?

So a couple of knuckleheads who were summarily denounced by BLM leaders (something that has happened precisely once) are equivalent to all of the white terrorist attacks we've been seeing in the past few years?

Revealing that so many on this board are rushing to denounce the counter protestors but paying lip service to domestic terrorists. Very revealing. As many Republican leaders have stated in recent days - there is no moral equivalence. Period.

Reactions: gr8indoorsman
I misunderstood your point (whoops). You are correct, you do not need to listen, which I suppose goes without saying.

In fact, I think that is what should have happened this weekend. Nobody should have given a crap about the damn rally.....a couple hundred idiots get together....nobody cares.....and everybody goes about their own business come Monday.

I disagree. Hate speech should be placed in a context of shame and shouted down agressively. Otherwise, it can be perceived as normal and attractive to certain folks.

I keep hearing this idea that we just "ignore" them but there's no such thing as ignoring people when they march en masse in a public setting. Especially in an age where these goons would be able to then post videos on the deplorable net and show that their ideology is now becoming more acceptable (if they had met no resistance).

I can answer you that. He invited them to the White House for dinner and cocktails.

So a couple of knuckleheads who were summarily denounced by BLM leaders (something that has happened precisely once) are equivalent to all of the white terrorist attacks we've been seeing in the past few years?
The BLM marches were frequent for almost two years. Remember the other slogan 'We want dead cops when do we want them NOW'. Now I'm not in favor of these racist, Nazi bigots but groups like BLM helped rally these guys. At least Trump denounced the Neo-Nazi groups and what they stand for. Obama invited BLM to the White House. That accomplished two things. It encouraged BLM and their attack on Police and demoralized the Police force.

Any group that marches and chants, in chorus, death to any group, is a hate group. BLM is a hate group, no matter the spin of a journalist.

This isn't a journalist? SPLC is the best authority we have for civil rights and monitoring of hate groups.

You just desperately want BLM to be a hate group.

This isn't a journalist? SPLC is the best authority we have for civil rights and monitoring of hate groups.

So an organized group of people that march on numerous occasions, and chant in chorus, death to cops isn't a hate group. Got it.

If you can't see BLM is a racist hate group then it's game set match. Have a good day!

I disagree. Hate speech should be placed in a context of shame and shouted down agressively. Otherwise, it can be perceived as normal and attractive to certain folks.

Although I acknowledge your right to "shout down" others, I will tell you it is an idiotic strategy to denounce such a message. I will also tell you that no matter what it is that you're trying to shout down "aggressively", there are still laws and if you break them you should be held accountable for your actions.

I will tell you it is an idiotic strategy to denounce such a message.

The idea of "just ignore them and they'll go away" doesn't seem to be grounded in any real historical evidence.

Expose them and establish that their ideologies are unacceptable and untenable.

Also very bizarre to me that so many are so desperate (and, thankfully, failing) to deflect attention toward the counter protesters. Just really bizarre. Without the nazis, they wouldn't be there. Period.

Reactions: PUBV
The idea of "just ignore them and they'll go away" doesn't seem to be grounded in any real historical evidence.

Expose them and establish that their ideologies are unacceptable and untenable.

Also very bizarre to me that so many are so desperate (and, thankfully, failing) to deflect attention toward the counter protesters. Just really bizarre. Without the nazis, they wouldn't be there. Period.

Ignore them and their message, which they have the right to express anyway, goes unheard. Act like a thug and confront them in ways that violate the law and you give them a real platform to be heard. It's not complicated and the fact that so many refuse to recognize those simple truths reflects just how this is being politicized.

Ignore them and their message, which they have the right to express anyway, goes unheard. Act like a thug and confront them in ways that violate the law and you give them a real platform to be heard. It's not complicated and the fact that so many refuse to recognize those simple truths reflects just how this is being politicized.

Again, I don't think there's any evidence to support that view (and quite a bit to the contrary if you look at the first half of the last century). I also don't think there's a way to have everyone "ignore" them in such a digitally connected world. If folks have an initial interest in these ideas, they're going to seek them out sooner or later. Better to have them see how unacceptable the views are than to see that there doesn't appear to be much resistance.

Again, I don't think there's any evidence to support that view (and quite a bit to the contrary if you look at the first half of the last century). I also don't think there's a way to have everyone "ignore" them in such a digitally connected world. If folks have an initial interest in these ideas, they're going to seek them out sooner or later. Better to have them see how unacceptable the views are than to see that there doesn't appear to be much resistance.

You don't think there's any evidence to support the view that an unheard message can't be heard?

I didn't know we had so many nazi sympathizers here

We don't. And no matter how many times you try to use identity politics to excuse the actions of some it doesn't make it any more valid. Their message is unacceptable but that doesn't given someone free reign to do whatever they want in response. There are lawful and unlawful ways to respond. More importantly, there are intelligent ways to respond or not respond. Not a complicated stance unless you're trying to politicize the situation.

Reactions: SKYDOG
You don't think there's any evidence to support the view that an unheard message can't be heard?

How do you make a message "unheard" in today's hyper connected world and when people are rallying in public spaces? It's a false premise.

We don't. And no matter how many times you try to use identity politics to excuse the actions of some it doesn't make it any more valid. Their message is unacceptable but that doesn't given someone free reign to do whatever they want in response. There are lawful and unlawful ways to respond. More importantly, there are intelligent ways to respond or not respond. Not a complicated stance unless you're trying to politicize the situation.

Any situation involving white supremacists is fairly well politicized on its own. Also, some on this board are making the same arguments as the white supremacists (fault on both sides, Antifa is at fault here, BLM is a hate group, etc.) at the rally in Charlottesville, which is pretty much meets the definition of sympathizer.

Reactions: PUBV and miksta
How do you make a message "unheard" in today's hyper connected world and when people are rallying in public spaces? It's a false premise.

Maybe you can't completely mute it, but a violent response certainly gives it a bigger stage. If there had been absolutely no violent response to the protests I doubt it would've been more than a blip on social media to most of us. Instead, here we are closing in on a week later and it's still huge news.

Maybe you can't completely mute it, but a violent response certainly gives it a bigger stage. If there had been absolutely no violent response to the protests I doubt it would've been more than a blip on social media to most of us. Instead, here we are closing in on a week later and it's still huge news.

I guess it's like a marketing funnel analysis. In one case, you could blast advertisements for your product but end up with a ton of bad press (lots of impressions but an increased public stigma against what you're selling) and in the other you can rely on organic traffic but have a better ability to tailor your audience's perception of what you're selling.

I'm not entirely certain what would result in the most throughput but I err on the side of explicit exchanging of ideas, I suppose.

Also, the supposed "violence" from the counter protesters is being incredibly way overblown. The Nazis murdered someone, injured many others, and beat a black man to a pulp in a parking garage. Not too worried about a few punches thrown at them and some mace sprayed their way.

Some serious perspective among folks on the right seems warranted.

https://news.vice.com/story/vice-news-tonight-full-episode-charlottesville-race-and-terror

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-charlottesville-beating-20170813-story.html

Any situation involving white supremacists is fairly well politicized on its own. Also, some on this board are making the same arguments as the white supremacists (fault on both sides, Antifa is at fault here, BLM is a hate group, etc.) at the rally in Charlottesville, which is pretty much meets the definition of sympathizer.

I haven't heard anyone justifying the message of white supremacists. They are accountable for their message and their own violent actions and I've seen nearly everyone condemn those. Just because that is so, that doesn't make all actions in response to them justified.

My position is that everyone should be held accountable for their actions no matter what they think and if you think someone should be immune from consequences of unlawful activity because you agree with them politically then we clearly see what is driving this whole thing.

Reactions: ecouch
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT