ADVERTISEMENT

Trayce Jackson Davis

I think Romeo Langford is for real. He is going to be/is a good player for IU. I don't think that is debatable anymore. He is not a game changer the way Carsen Edwards is, but he is more than ready to play BIG basketball.

I also think Newman is going to be an absolute stud at Purdue. Next to Biggie, he is the most anticipated player for me that we have brought in. I can't wait for him to get on campus and start practicing with the team.

Since we are talking recruits, I will offer one more impression. TJD... the more I look at him the less I am impressed. He is too small to be a center, and too slow to be a good power forward. I am not sure how he got the ranking he has. I guess we will need to wait and see if he has an impact on IU basketball. I know this looks like sour grapes but I do mean this sincerely and without malice.
I don't think calling TJD "too small to be a center" is a fair statement. He's bigger than Juwan, who's our current center, and bigger than most centers Archie has had historically in his program. At 6'9 230, he can absolutely play center at the college level, and play it well. I don't think anyone questions Isaiah Stewart's ability to play center due to his size, for example, and he's the same height as TJD but admittedly has about 10-15 pounds on TJD right now.

I don't think calling TJD "too small to be a center" is a fair statement. He's bigger than Juwan, who's our current center, and bigger than most centers Archie has had historically in his program. At 6'9 230, he can absolutely play center at the college level, and play it well.
When did he get that big? LOL

I don't think TJD is a one and done by any stretch, I think he's at least a 2 year guy. Brooks on the other hand, I think he's an absolute stud and very well could be one and done material. I think he's very underrated.

I don't think calling TJD "too small to be a center" is a fair statement. He's bigger than Juwan, who's our current center, and bigger than most centers Archie has had historically in his program. At 6'9 230, he can absolutely play center at the college level, and play it well. I don't think anyone questions Isaiah Stewart's ability to play center due to his size, for example, and he's the same height as TJD but admittedly has about 10-15 pounds on TJD right now.

I think the reason TJD is so highly rated, is that he was expaected to hit 7 foot and got a high rating early. He just... stopped growing. At 7’00, with his current athleticism, he would have been a clear 5 star talent. Even with his current size/athleticism, he should be averaging 25 ppg in high school. Game in and game out he should be going against guys much smaller and less athletic. He had a decent game against Lalu, going against Stewart, but got abused in the paint. That is where he will be at IU. He doesn’t shoot near well enough to be a stretch, although he does move well enough. I am not saying he will be bad at the next level, I think he will be quite good actually. But, I would temper expectations, something IU fans often struggle with. TJD will be thrown right into the fire, maybe that will be the best thing for him.

I think the reason TJD is so highly rated, is that he was expaected to hit 7 foot and got a high rating early. He just... stopped growing. At 7’00, with his current athleticism, he would have been a clear 5 star talent. Even with his current size/athleticism, he should be averaging 25 ppg in high school. Game in and game out he should be going against guys much smaller and less athletic. He had a decent game against Lalu, going against Stewart, but got abused in the paint. That is where he will be at IU. He doesn’t shoot near well enough to be a stretch, although he does move well enough. I am not saying he will be bad at the next level, I think he will be quite good actually. But, I would temper expectations, something IU fans often struggle with. TJD will be thrown right into the fire, maybe that will be the best thing for him.
TJD is averaging around 25 PPG right now, he is very talented, and definitely big enough to play center in college. His fit at the NBA level could be an issue, NBA would definitely want him to grow another inch or so (get to around 6'10) so they could comfortably fit him in at center. Not sure if he's done growing or if that's something that could happen, but that's a worry more for the NBA not necessarily college. Juwan Morgan feasts on big guys inside and he's 6'8. Height shouldn't be an issue for TJD.

Reactions: BCBtrio
I wish that were the case because that would mean Romeo might be at IU two years. I don’t think that’ll be the case though. Hell, didn’t Lonzo Ball get drafted 2nd overall? I know he’s a point guard but that guy can’t shoot to save his life. I don’t recall Michael Carter Williams being a particularly high percentage shooter either. That said, I don’t really watch NBA so who knows.

Ball is presently averaging 8 pts per game. He was the #2 pick in the draft. Somehow I would expect a #2 pick guard to be a much better scorer. I doubt many consider him to be a great pick excluding daddy. Add daddy and its worse.

If anything, Ball's results may likely work against RL - bad shooters trying to play guard.

He's averaging over 25 for CG. His dad isnt 7', so not sure why you expected him to be 7'. He shot up the rankings this summer during AAU. He is adequately ranked for his skill.

Reactions: BCBtrio
He’ll be a stud at the next level but he’ll be there for 3 or 4 years, most likely. I don’t see him being a stud in the nba by any means. He’s also going to have a lot of talent around him at IU which will make things easier on him. IU is loaded next year and probably every year after as long as Archie is the coach. After this year the very best Purdue can finish will be 5th behind IU, MSU, OSU, and UM. Sorry but this is just a fact. Purdue isn’t getting enough talent to compete with the elites in the conference other than a fluke year here and there. This year is your last year where you have a chance to do anything. I mean who’s going to score for you next year? Nojel? Good luck with that! He’s going to be your best player next year....just let that sink in. IU will have 8 players on their team that’s better than your best player, maybe more.

Wheeler, Newman, EB, and if Carsen can’t fix his TO woes, he will be back as well. Not to mention Sasha, Williams, Hunter have showed potential. I am not worried about scoring. IT will also be a scorer, but I am not sure if he will be scoring at a high level as a true freshman. I am not worried about scoring next year. IU will be losing RL, Morgan, and Fitzner. That is going to cause a lot more problems then just the guaranteed loss of Cline. If Carsen does leave, the scoring will definitely need to come from somewhere else. Will be fun to see what the young guys can do. IT, Sasha, Wheeler, Williams, Newman all have excellent potential. Newman will likely have a big role right away. I am very excited about Purdue’s future.

Reactions: BBG
Unless all of the websites listing his height and weight are all wrong... In that case, what source am I supposed to use?
When I looked TJD up on the scouting steps, he was listed at 6' 8", and 215 lb. That is good for a power forward, but not a good size for a BIG center. Truth is I agent watched any games so all I know is what I read about him in the scouting reports.

I was under the impression Morgan played a facing-the-basket position, like forward. He might be your most dominant big, but I never thought of him as a center.

Wheeler, Newman, EB, and if Carsen can’t fix his TO woes, he will be back as well. Not to mention Sasha, Williams, Hunter have showed potential. I am not worried about scoring. IT will also be a scorer, but I am not sure if he will be scoring at a high level as a true freshman. I am not worried about scoring next year. IU will be losing RL, Morgan, and Fitzner. That is going to cause a lot more problems then just the guaranteed loss of Cline. If Carsen does leave, the scoring will definitely need to come from somewhere else. Will be fun to see what the young guys can do. IT, Sasha, Wheeler, Williams, Newman all have excellent potential. Newman will likely have a big role right away. I am very excited about Purdue’s future.
Any word on Gillis? Sure would like to include this kid in on the mix too. Rough injury, but I still think he'll get his.

When I looked TJD up on the scouting steps, he was listed at 6' 8", and 215 lb. That is good for a power forward, but not a good size for a BIG center. Truth is I agent watched any games so all I know is what I read about him in the scouting reports.

I was under the impression Morgan played a facing-the-basket position, like forward. He might be your most dominant big, but I never thought of him as a center.
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/230967/trayce-jackson-davis

https://www.usab.com/basketball/players/mens/j/jackson-davis-trayce.aspx

All 3 list him at least 6'9" (measured in at 6'10" at USA camp). I think you are getting hung up on the word center. No, he isnt a traditional center, but neither is Morgan. They are both forwards that play the 5 spot.

Archie's system allows for position less basketball. We switch almost every ball screen, because our positions are interchangeable.

Any word on Gillis? Sure would like to include this kid in on the mix too. Rough injury, but I still think he'll get his.

No word on his knees. I just don’t see how he doesn’t redshirt. No sense in rushing him back and it will all depend on his tests. They will keep it quiet no doubt. I would curious to hear what he was told by the doctors and know how the surgery went.

Reactions: PU pit bull

Most sites have him listed as 6'9 230, which is probably what he is. He's the same height as Stewart, they just played last night, and Stewart is a legit 6'9. Morgan plays center for us, he does it all to be honest. Back to the basket, face up, perimeter, he does it all. And he's mostly tasked with guarding the opponents 5.

Ball is presently averaging 8 pts per game. He was the #2 pick in the draft. Somehow I would expect a #2 pick guard to be a much better scorer. I doubt many consider him to be a great pick excluding daddy. Add daddy and its worse.

If anything, Ball's results may likely work against RL - bad shooters trying to play guard.

It’s not like his horrible shooting was a secret. LA drafted him knowing damn well the kid couldn’t shoot. I just don’t think it’s something scouts care much about because they have people on the payroll that can help improve most players shooting. The difference between Ball and Langford is that Langford’s shot isn’t completely broken.

When I looked TJD up on the scouting steps, he was listed a ht 6' 8", and 215 lb. That is good for a power forward, but not a good size for a BIG center. Truth is I agent watched any games so all I know is what I read about him in the scouting reports.

I'm friends with mom we grew up together. He is six eight and a half. She said right around 230...

Reactions: mathboy
We will see if you are right about the shot doctors. My point has always been that he is a high risk pick. As a GM on a bad team do you need that? In the case of Ball, the docs have not worked.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/230967/trayce-jackson-davis

All 3 list him at least 6'9" (measured in at 6'10" at USA camp). I think you are getting hung up on the word center. No, he isnt a traditional center, but neither is Morgan. They are both forwards that play the 5 spot.

Archie's system allows for position less basketball. We switch almost every ball screen, because our positions are interchangeable.

I’m looking at his profile picture and looking at that neck. He has a Uwe Blab neck. If his neck wasn’t so long he’d only be about 6’4”.

Reactions: mathboy
No word on his knees. I just don’t see how he doesn’t redshirt. No sense in rushing him back and it will all depend on his tests. They will keep it quiet no doubt. I would curious to hear what he was told by the doctors and know how the surgery went.

I feel badly for Gillis. It seems that his body cannot hold up to the stresses that are placed upon it. I hope that I am wrong but do not think that I am. I want him to have a great career.

We know from the Hummel experience that this sort of thing does not end well for the player. I hate to see it happen again.

I feel badly for Gillis. It seems that his body cannot hold up to the stresses that are placed upon it. I hope that I am wrong but do not think that I am. I want him to have a great career.

We know from the Hummel experience that this sort of thing does not end well for the player. I hate to see it happen again.

Luckily Painter can take it slow with him. No reason to rush him, so if he can play in the future there is zero reason to jeopardize his health by rushing him. Even if it takes more than a redshirt year. I am hoping his last surgery fixed all issues and he is ready to roll, but his stock was rising big time and he should be a real good player.

' In two year's with IU's weight program TJD will be a grown man. He's got a solid frame.And he more than held his own against Stewart in the middle Saturday night..
Brooks looked the best of the three.

Luckily Painter can take it slow with him. No reason to rush him, so if he can play in the future there is zero reason to jeopardize his health by rushing him. Even if it takes more than a redshirt year. I am hoping his last surgery fixed all issues and he is ready to roll, but his stock was rising big time and he should be a real good player.

I hope that you are right. I fear that you are wrong.

I’m looking at his profile picture and looking at that neck. He has a Uwe Blab neck. If his neck wasn’t so long he’d only be about 6’4”.

This is why I’ve always thought it would be more meaningful for basketball players to be measured by two standing heights from the ground: shoulder and middle fingertip of a raised hand.

The elevation of the top of their head is largely meaningless.

This is why I’ve always thought it would be more meaningful for basketball players to be measured by two standing heights from the ground: shoulder and middle fingertip of a raised hand.

It's why wing span is so big in basketball. Carsen at the combine last year was the shortest person measured, just shy of 5'11 w/o shoes, but he had a 6'6 wingspan which was comparable to guys like Allonzo Trier and DiVencenzo who are 4-5 inches taller than him.

Damn you.....

mp,550x550,gloss,ffffff,t.3u1.jpg

Reactions: buttnoles
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT