ADVERTISEMENT

Trayce Jackson Davis

I do not see why you said that. You are attempting to extrapolate a regression to the mean, or so it seems. The problem with that is that the mean was based upon a different set of conditions (lesser 3 pt distance and quality of defensive opponents) than he faces now. As such, the ability to project back to the mean is invalid because the mean was established in a different set of data.

I’m not saying it’s a mathematical certainty by any means. The difference between the high school and college 3 pt line is one foot. Langford routinely shot from well beyond the line in high school, so that one foot is irrelevant IMO. MaxPreps shows Langford’s career 3 point percentage in HS as 35% and he’s currently shooting 25%. He also basically has a boxer’s wrap on his shooting hand. Do I think he’ll end up at 35%? Probably not. Do I think he’ll drop below 25%? Also, no.

That said, I think the 3 pt aspect of the conversation is inconsequential because he doesn’t attempt very many threes. My main argument for him maintaining his output is the fact that he’s averaged those numbers in single halves and he has just recently started to assert himself. He has been very passive at times this season and I think he’s starting to realize he can take over college games.

As far as the quality of defensive opponents, well, I don’t think that really matters either. He might encounter the occasional defender that will give him problems, but I think that’ll be rare. At this point (and I know it’s early), I haven’t seen a single defender that has prevented him from getting his shot at will. He just hasn’t shot a particularly high percentage.

Basically, he has struggled and still averages 18 a game.

Last edited:
10 games in, the significant data set you stated, RL is 23.7% from the 3 pt line and the FT shooting is not so hot either. As an NBA GM, that's what I want out of my 2-guard.

10 games in, the significant data set you stated, RL is 23.7% from the 3 pt line and the FT shooting is not so hot either. As an NBA GM, that's what I want out of my 2-guard.
18 and 6 while shooting around 50% from the field. Extremely good start to the year.

The question is woukd Purdue take Romeo? Amd would he be good enough to be un there starting lineup? Anyone serious would say yes and yes

The question is woukd Purdue take Romeo? Amd would he be good enough to be un there starting lineup? Anyone serious would say yes and yes
Romeo starts for any team of course. He would start on some nba teams. Is he really nba ready? No. But he’s going to be a very good nba player in a few years. Maybe he’ll be great one day....who knows

You have no idea what you’re talking about. His number are great except for the two you pointed out and those will improve. His 3 percentage isn’t bad if you don’t count the first few games too.

Pike just stomped Center Grove, 84-44. There were several plays showed on twitter and TJD looked bad on defense. He was out of position and looked disinterested. It could have just been a bad game, but he didn’t even look like a top 100 recruit in that game.

Meanwhile, Newman tore it up. He very well could win Mr. Basketball. He looks like an absolute star.

Pike just stomped Center Grove, 84-44. There were several plays showed on twitter and TJD looked bad on defense. He was out of position and looked disinterested. It could have just been a bad game, but he didn’t even look like a top 100 recruit in that game.

Meanwhile, Newman tore it up. He very well could win Mr. Basketball. He looks like an absolute star.

He very well could be rankings are not always right. Good thing you guys never wanted TJD

He very well could be rankings are not always right. Good thing you guys never wanted TJD

Purdue definitely wanted TJD. But, he is a project and will need to be developed. He will have to find some sort of a consistent jumper and pick it up on defense. Standing around lost at the 3 point line on defense will get a ride on the pine at the next level. It very well could have been coaching as well, all I saw was high lights for Pike and in every one, TJD looked lost on defense and was the cause of the high light. I don’t think he is a five star that will just walk in and dominate. He could end up being an all-American. He has the size and athleticism for it.

He's holding his own against Brooks and Stewart right now in their game against La Lu.

Franklin tears it up too. Brooks tears it up too. TJD usually tears it up and what do they have in common? They’re going to Hoosier land! TJD will be Mr basketball if for no other reason than he’s going to IU. That should make you all sick...lil brother

Franklin tears it up too. Brooks tears it up too. TJD usually tears it up and what do they have in common? They’re going to Hoosier land! TJD will be Mr basketball if for no other reason than he’s going to IU. That should make you all sick...lil brother

Franklin is alright. I would rather have Newman all day every day. I would rather have Isaiah Thompson over Franklin for that matter.

TJD should be ok, but I imagine the adjustment will be difficult for him. He could be a bust or a late bloomer.

As for KBJ, he hasn’t signed yet. He is a good player. He would be, by far, the best recruit in that IU class. Missing on him would be a big setback.

The player on IUs team that I would want the most is Hunter. Injuries have set him back, but he is the real deal. It has nothing to do with big brother or little brother. Objectively, TJD is playing below his ranking. He is holding his own against lalu, but he has 8 points in the half. Not exactly jaw dropping numbers. He has at least held his own defensively against Stewart, a huge improvement over his awful performance against Pike. Meanwhile, Newman has been lighting it up. He looks like the best player in the state. So again, I repeat, he could win Mr. Basketball this year and deservedly so.

Franklin is alright. I would rather have Newman all day every day. I would rather have Isaiah Thompson over Franklin for that matter.

TJD should be ok, but I imagine the adjustment will be difficult for him. He could be a bust or a late bloomer.

As for KBJ, he hasn’t signed yet. He is a good player. He would be, by far, the best recruit in that IU class. Missing on him would be a big setback.

The player on IUs team that I would want the most is Hunter. Injuries have set him back, but he is the real deal. It has nothing to do with big brother or little brother. Objectively, TJD is playing below his ranking. He is holding his own against lalu, but he has 8 points in the half. Not exactly jaw dropping numbers. He has at least held his own defensively against Stewart, a huge improvement over his awful performance against Pike. Meanwhile, Newman has been lighting it up. He looks like the best player in the state. So again, I repeat, he could win Mr. Basketball this year and deservedly so.
Newman hasnt played against anyone good to this point.

Trayce is playing below his ranking? He came in averaging 29 pts and 11 rebs. He currently has 15 pts at the end of the 3rd against a frontcourt that has 2 5* players in it.

I do agree that Hunter will be very good. With him likely redshirting, IU's "freshmen" class next year of TJD, Keion, Hunter, and Armaan will be very very good.

Trayce is playing below his ranking? He came in averaging 29 pts and 11 rebs. He currently has 15 pts at the end of the 3rd against a frontcourt that has 2 5* players in it.

I do agree that Hunter will be very good. With him likely redshirting, IU's "freshmen" class next year of TJD, Keion, Hunter, and Armaan will be very very good.
TJD definitely won’t be a bust but he’s not a OAD and I’m thrilled about that. I don’t even know if he’ll really ever be more than a guy at the end of the bench in the nba but he will be a great collegiate player and that’s really all I care about.

He has no chance at winning Mr Basketball even if he deserves it. It just doesn’t work that way.

Check out the Pike highlights. Again, it could have been a bad game, but it’s worth a watch. He was constantly out of position and getting beat. The adjustment his first year could be difficult. I hope he does pan out. I don’t hope anything negative in his direction. But in that Pike game, he was awful.

Purdue definitely wanted TJD. But, he is a project and will need to be developed. He will have to find some sort of a consistent jumper and pick it up on defense. Standing around lost at the 3 point line on defense will get a ride on the pine at the next level. It very well could have been coaching as well, all I saw was high lights for Pike and in every one, TJD looked lost on defense and was the cause of the high light. I don’t think he is a five star that will just walk in and dominate. He could end up being an all-American. He has the size and athleticism for it.
Are you insane? He’s a project? He’s going to be a freshman so of course like all freshman he’s going to have to develop but he’s no project you nut. If he’s a project then Purdue recruits are s rubs that should be in D3. Talk like you have some sense you moron! In a way you’re actually trashing your own players by talking other players down that are much better than them.

Check out the Pike highlights. Again, it could have been a bad game, but it’s worth a watch. He was constantly out of position and getting beat. The adjustment his first year could be difficult. I hope he does pan out. I don’t hope anything negative in his direction. But in that Pike game, he was awful.
I don't have to watch the highlights as I was at the game. I'm very good friends with the CG head coach. I've been at, or watched every CG game this year. Trayce is easily a 5* and the best player in the IHSAA.

Last night Pike came out on fire from 3 and sucked the energy out of the game. That's one area that will have to change in Trayce's game. His effort level when a game is out of hand, or against a very inferior opponent isnt the best.

Trayce will be a force in the Big Ten.

Are you insane? He’s a project? He’s going to be a freshman so of course like all freshman he’s going to have to develop but he’s no project you nut. If he’s a project then Purdue recruits are s rubs that should be in D3. Talk like you have some sense you moron! In a way you’re actually trashing your own players by talking other players down that are much better than them.
Uh oh. You didn't say an IU recruit is an NBA All-Star before he finishes high school. Triggered!

Thank you for invalidating your opinion by showing your true nature. Saves the me the trouble of continuing to try and explain it to you.

I don't have to watch the highlights as I was at the game. I'm very good friends with the CG head coach. I've been at, or watched every CG game this year. Trayce is easily a 5* and the best player in the IHSAA.

Last night Pike came out on fire from 3 and sucked the energy out of the game. That's one area that will have to change in Trayce's game. His effort level when a game is out of hand, or against a very inferior opponent isnt the best.

Trayce will be a force in the Big Ten.

Yes, quitting and giving up when times are tough or playing down to your competition is a pretty bad trait. One that would need fixing for sure. At least you don’t deny the Pike game. Hopefully for him it was just an off game. He was able to score 18 against Lalu, but they got abused in the paint. Stewart is a 5 star talent, so it is forgiveable. 22 points for Stewart, who was expected to win that battle. Losing 62-48 against a national powerhouse to Lalu certainly is understandable as well.

Yes, quitting and giving up when times are tough or playing down to your competition is a pretty bad trait. One that would need fixing for sure. At least you don’t deny the Pike game. Hopefully for him it was just an off game. He was able to score 18 against Lalu, but they got abused in the paint. Stewart is a 5 star talent, so it is forgiveable. 22 points for Stewart, who was expected to win that battle. Losing 62-48 against a national powerhouse to Lalu certainly is understandable as well.
I would suggest ignoring cropper. He has created 4 or 5 accounts this week, because he has been getting banned (deservedly so).

I definitely agree that Trayce needs to work on his motor. When he is playing hard however, he is a 5* talent, so I dont think he is playing below his ranking as you suggested. I realize you said you've only watched him in the highlights from last nights game, so it's very understandable for you to have formed the opinion you did. I think if you watch further you will see why he is ranked what he is.

I would suggest going to the Hall of Fame classic in New Castle later this month. Valpo will be there, so you could see Newman along with David Bell who I think will be a future Boiler too. Center Grove will be playing too. New Castle Fieldhouse also might be the best place in the world to watch a high school basketball game (I'm biased).

I would suggest ignoring cropper. He has created 4 or 5 accounts this week, because he has been getting banned (deservedly so).

I definitely agree that Trayce needs to work on his motor. When he is playing hard however, he is a 5* talent, so I dont think he is playing below his ranking as you suggested. I realize you said you've only watched him in the highlights from last nights game, so it's very understandable for you to have formed the opinion you did. I think if you watch further you will see why he is ranked what he is.

I would suggest going to the Hall of Fame classic in New Castle later this month. Valpo will be there, so you could see Newman along with David Bell who I think will be a future Boiler too. Center Grove will be playing too. New Castle Fieldhouse also might be the best place in the world to watch a high school basketball game (I'm biased).

I thought Bell was out until at least January. He sustained a football injury. Warren was a complete team last year and what they did was impressive. If Bell wasn’t a top 100 football talent, I am certain he would be getting a more serious look for playing basketball. Great size and athleticism, plus he is a natural born leader. I sure hope Purdue finds a way to land him.

I really can’t wait to see what Hunter can do for IU. When he gets healthy, he can help right away. On top of being a great basketball player he seems like a great guy as well. He really bought into IU. And even as a rival I have a healthy respect for talent wanting to play basketball in Indiana, which is the best state for basketball. I also thought IU was very classy (minus a few idiots on twitter) with the whole Tyler Trent thing. It was nice to see that we can out the rivalry aside for important stuff.

Last edited:
I thought Bell was out until at least January. He sustained a football injury. Warren was a complete team last year and what they did was impressive. If Bell wasn’t a top 100 football talent, I am certain he would be getting a more serious look for playing basketball. Great size and athleticism, plus he is a natural born leader. I sure hope Purdue finds a way to land him.

I really can’t wait to see what Hunter can do for IU. When he gets healthy, he can help right away. On top of being a great basketball he seems like a great guy as well. He really bought into IU. And even as a rival I have a healthy respect for talent wanting to play basketball in Indiana, which is the best state for basketball. I also thought IU was very classy (minutes a few idiots on twitter) with the whole Tyler Trent thing. It was nice to see that we can out the rivalry aside for important stuff.
You are probably right about Bell. I was looking forward to watching him play that day.

Agreed on the Tyler Trent thing. His story has been truly inspirational. At the end of the day, there are more important things than basketball/football.

Rivalries are fun though! :)

I think Romeo Langford is for real. He is going to be/is a good player for IU. I don't think that is debatable anymore. He is not a game changer the way Carsen Edwards is, but he is more than ready to play BIG basketball.

I also think Newman is going to be an absolute stud at Purdue. Next to Biggie, he is the most anticipated player for me that we have brought in. I can't wait for him to get on campus and start practicing with the team.

Since we are talking recruits, I will offer one more impression. TJD... the more I look at him the less I am impressed. He is too small to be a center, and too slow to be a good power forward. I am not sure how he got the ranking he has. I guess we will need to wait and see if he has an impact on IU basketball. I know this looks like sour grapes but I do mean this sincerely and without malice.

I think Romeo Langford is for real. He is going to be/is a good player for IU. I don't think that is debatable anymore. He is not a game changer the way Carsen Edwards is, but he is more than ready to play BIG basketball.

I also think Newman is going to be an absolute stud at Purdue. Next to Biggie, he is the most anticipated player for me that we have brought in. I can't wait for him to get on campus and start practicing with the team.

Since we are talking recruits, I will offer one more impression. TJD... the more I look at him the less I am impressed. He is too small to be a center, and too slow to be a good power forward. I am not sure how he got the ranking he has. I guess we will need to wait and see if he has an impact on IU basketball. I know this looks like sour grapes but I do mean this sincerely and without malice.
I respect your opinion while disagreeing myself on the TJD front.

I do think Newman will be very good in college. I stand by that I would have rather had him than Franklin. With that being said, I'm very happy with Franklin as well.

???? Trayce and Keion both played on the Indy Heat AAU team, in the Nike EYBL. Last I checked, Purdue was a Nike school and IU an Adidas school. I guess you’re still gonna say that Archie and Adidas payed Trayce to come? Even though he doesn’t have any affiliation with Adidas? Whatever man, you’re stuck on that narrative, even when it doesn’t fit.

I am a BOILER, born and bred. But Archie did not buy TJD. He did not. Neither his Father or Stepfather would stand for it.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
I respect your opinion while disagreeing myself on the TJD front.

I do think Newman will be very good in college. I stand by that I would have rather had him than Franklin. With that being said, I'm very happy with Franklin as well.
Well I hope TJD has a good college experience and finds a place on he IU team.. I don't have any malice toward the kid. I just don't see him being a successful D1 center at his height and weight. Maybe he can transition his back-to-the-basket style to become a good power forward. Kids his age are very adaptable.

Heck I would love for him to bring his skills to Purdue, but he would have had to play the PF spot. I don't know if he could make that transition in one year between high school and college. . Red shirt candidate maybe.

Well I hope TJD has a good college experience and finds a place on he IU team.. I don't have any malice toward the kid. I just don't see him being a successful D1 center at his height and weight. Maybe he can transition his back-to-the-basket style to become a good power forward. Kids his age are very adaptable.

Heck I would love for him to bring his skills to Purdue, but he would have had to play the PF spot. I don't know if he could make that transition in one year between high school and college. . Red shirt candidate maybe.
Can you imagine the outrage on this board from Purdue fans if Painter tried to redshirt a 5*? Haha

I wish that were the case because that would mean Romeo might be at IU two years. I don’t think that’ll be the case though. Hell, didn’t Lonzo Ball get drafted 2nd overall? I know he’s a point guard but that guy can’t shoot to save his life. I don’t recall Michael Carter Williams being a particularly high percentage shooter either. That said, I don’t really watch NBA so who knows.

I agree. He is not big/strong enough to play center, right now anyway. If he doesn't grow anymore he will have to really bulk up.

He might be lisred at 230, but he is not close to that. Maybe 215. Maybe.
Kinda hard to predict that based on just looking at him. He will get weight put on him during the summer. Our trainer is very good at that. He will be fine starting at center.

I think he will average close to what Thomas Bryant did as a freshman (12 pts , 6 rebs).

I agree. He is not big/strong enough to play center, right now anyway. If he doesn't grow anymore he will have to really bulk up.
Well he’s a senior in high school and the game has changed to where centers are smaller anyways. He’s going to college not the nba

I don’t get banned. I make one post and then it tells me to get a subscription so I make another.

FYI, that was not the question. Trojan has made a point of RL being a Top5 pick in the draft according to some unknown NBA GMs. I do not believe this to be correct. A 23% 3 pt shooting rate is unlikely to improve as one moves further out. RL is a slasher; that is where the points come. While that works in college, not so much in the pros. As a GM with a Top5 pick, you already have a poor team. Screwing up that pick can be fatal to your job. RL becomes a very risky choice.

As for Tojan: his personal satisfaction with RL is irrelevant to the point of this discussion.

It is good to see that you recognize the pro-IU media bias. Usually that is denied by IU posters here. Good to see that you are honest.

Reactions: cropper01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT