ADVERTISEMENT

Trayce Jackson Davis

PURDUE BOARD. Why is that so difficult for you to grasp. It really isn't that hard of a concept.

We're going to say what we want on here and if you don't like it, stop obsessing over us and stick to your word about leaving. It's that simple.
I'm going to say what I want here too, so stop obsessing over what I say. It's that simple.

I'm going to say what I want here too, so stop obsessing over what I say. It's that simple.
Quite a bit of a difference when you're the one coming to a PURDUE forum to tell us all about IU and wait for every post to pounce like a troll.

Again, not a hard concept, even for you. Or you can just stick to your word and leave like you said you would.

Quite a bit of a difference when you're the one coming to a PURDUE forum to tell us all about IU and wait for every post to pounce like a troll.

Again, not a hard concept, even for you.
I've been very civil and engage in the topic at hand for the most part. I will call out lies about our players and coach when I see them, though. Again, I'll post what I want as long as it's within the site guidelines. If you dont like it, then ignore me. My posting style wont change when it comes to defending unfounded, erroneous claims against our staff or players.

I've been very civil and engage in the topic at hand for the most part. I will call out lies about our players and coach when I see them, though. Again, I'll post what I want as long as it's within the site guidelines. If you dont like it, then ignore me. My posting style wont change when it comes to defending unfounded, erroneous claims against our staff or players.
And I am going to keep calling you out for not being a person of your word and because it's pretty clear I am under your skin and you are easy to trigger.

If you don't like it, be a man of your word and leave like you said you were.

And I am going to keep calling you out for not being a person of your word and because it's pretty clear I am under your skin and you are easy to trigger.

If you don't like it, be a man of your word and leave like you said you were.
Lol no thanks. I'm staying. I couldn't care less your opinion of me. I look forward to our nonsense arguments in the future.

Between arguing with me, and arguing with all the people who are talking crap about Painter, it's a busy morning for you. Glad to see you have something keeping you busy.

It does happen elsewhere. Josh Jackson’s mom ran his team, and Adidas funneled her son to Kansas.

I did not know this. However, if it is true then that is another reason supporting my suggestion that parents and AAU cash flow should be separated. The NCAA needs to clean up and if that means having to slay some sacred cow programs so be it. There is obvious and rampant impropriety going on. I am astounded that AZ has not been brought to justice to date.

Are you saying your 3 man class would be better than an IU class of TJD, Brooks, and Franklin? I would think that most would not agree with that.

He will definitely still have to prove he can win with that talent, though.

As for "locking up the state", with Brooks joining the class, that would be three 5* and three 4* from Indiana in the last two classes.
I am just laughing because we’ve heard it all before.

:cool:

Reactions: BBG
I am just laughing because we’ve heard it all before.

:cool:
Yep, you have. Unfortunately for us, Crean couldn't coach. The verdict is still out for Archie. Even though crean couldn't coach he had us as the favorite to win the championship going into the 2013 tournament. That's why getting elite talent is so important.

We will see though!

Reactions: mathboy
9 games done, 25.7% from 3. Gonna take a lot to get to the high 30s target.
Not sure what this has to do with TJD, but if Romeo shoots 5/5 he will be at 35% for the year. High 30s is still very much in reach.

With that being said, he is shooting worse this year than I would have expected. On the bright side, he is finishing at the rim better than I expected too, so it all evens out.

I predicted 17ish and 6ish rebounds. What are his season averages again....?

No, but it's also inaccurate. Either way we will have to agree to disagree. Very happy we landed Romeo, and even more happy to land TJD (topic of this thread).

This article goes into a lot of detail about Langford’s AAU team and how it came to be. Definitely worth a read. A one year team that was created specifically for Romeo, with his father as coach, and funded by Adidas through a non-profit foundation with his family on the board is sketchy, IMO. But apparently legal. Unless of course the money wasn’t handled in accordance with nonprofit tax rules—which hasn’t been revealed as of yet according to the article. In any case, I don’t believed IU “paid” Romeo—but they had to be aware of the backstory. Again, not an IU compliance issue—but could be for Romeo and his family.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...b648abe29ef_story.html?utm_term=.f1d60a132775

This article goes into a lot of detail about Langford’s AAU team and how it came to be. Definitely worth a read. A one year team that was created specifically for Romeo, with his father as coach, and funded by Adidas through a non-profit foundation with his family on the board is sketchy, IMO. But apparently legal. Unless of course the money wasn’t handled in accordance with nonprofit tax rules—which hasn’t been revealed as of yet according to the article. In any case, I don’t believed IU “paid” Romeo—but they had to be aware of the backstory. Again, not an IU compliance issue—but could be for Romeo and his family.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...b648abe29ef_story.html?utm_term=.f1d60a132775
I'm not going to get into this again.

Curious if you read the article completely? It’s well researched.
The article provided no new information on the matter. The ONLY chance there would be legal repercussions from Langford Sr being the coach would be if he didnt pay taxes on the money he received. There is nothing to suggest he didnt. In any case, Romeo would not be in any legal trouble for that as he was not the one paid. IU as you have said is not in any danger of repercussions either.

Do you think the NCAA doesnt know Langford Sr was paid to coach the AAU team? Do you think they haven't looked into the matter? They have. They found nothing illegal. No consequences are going to come from the Langford recruitment, so I'm not sure why you guys continue to harp on it here.

The article provided no new information on the matter. The ONLY chance there would be legal repercussions from Langford Sr being the coach would be if he didnt pay taxes on the money he received. There is nothing to suggest he didnt. In any case, Romeo would not be in any legal trouble for that as he was not the one paid. IU as you have said is not in any danger of repercussions either.

Do you think the NCAA doesnt know Langford Sr was paid to coach the AAU team? Do you think they haven't looked into the matter? They have. They found nothing illegal. No consequences are going to come from the Langford recruitment, so I'm not sure why you guys continue to harp on it here.

You are right about the not paying personal taxes part, but I also think as a non-profit they must adhere to certain guidelines as well—would need a tax attorney to weigh in here. As the article stated, at the time it was written, a filing hadn’t occurred, so we don’t really know if it was aboveboard or not. IF the family benefited improperly then I do think the violation could affect Romeo. But the way the NCAA works, he’ll be long gone before that’s a possibility. Why do you think the NCAA has looked into the matter—I must have missed that. Still murky waters to be swimming in if you ask me.

You are right about the not paying personal taxes part, but I also think as a non-profit they must adhere to certain guidelines as well—would need a tax attorney to weigh in here. As the article stated, at the time it was written, a filing hadn’t occurred, so we don’t really know if it was aboveboard or not. IF the family benefited improperly then I do think the violation could affect Romeo. But the way the NCAA works, he’ll be long gone before that’s a possibility. Why do you think the NCAA has looked into the matter—I must have missed that. Still murky waters to be swimming in if you ask me.
Again, I dont care in the least what Langford Sr does. If he goes to prison for tax evasion, I literally couldn't care less.

It has absolutely no bearing on Romeo and IU. The NCAA already determined the money paid to Langford Sr was clean. If he chooses not to pay taxes on his personal income, why would the NCAA care? They wouldn't.

When did the NCAA become the police for tax evasion? The entire last part of this tread is such a stretch it is laughable. You speak of the NCAA like they are some entity that will waive a big gavel, they haven't even done anything to UofL who hired hookers for players, propositioned players with large sums of money and actually had an assistant pay a player. PU fans should put more emphasis on recruiting since with all that UofL has going on they still have a better 2019 class than you guys.

Not sure what this has to do with TJD, but if Romeo shoots 5/5 he will be at 35% for the year. High 30s is still very much in reach.

With that being said, he is shooting worse this year than I would have expected. On the bright side, he is finishing at the rim better than I expected too, so it all evens out.

I predicted 17ish and 6ish rebounds. What are his season averages again....?

And if he doesn't miss a 3 pt shot for the rest of the year he'll be in the high 80s. Which is almost as ridiculous as the 5 for 5 comment given a 25% average.

Just so you know, the odds of a 25% shooter going 5 for 5 is 0.009.8%, less than 1 chance in 100.

Given the time of year, I will quote the old adage: "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, Oh what a Christmas we'd have."

And if he doesn't miss a 3 pt shot for the rest of the year he'll be in the high 80s. Which is almost as ridiculous as the 5 for 5 comment given a 25% average.

Just so you know, the odds of a 25% shooter going 5 for 5 is 0.009.8%, less than 1 chance in 100.

Given the time of year, I will quote the old adage: "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, Oh what a Christmas we'd have."
I clearly stated he hasnt shot the ball as well as I expected. It could easily change. He has certainly been hitting at a higher rate recently than the beginning of the year.

I said he would average around 17 and 6 and got called out for it. He is averaging 18 and 6 through 9 games. I don't even think YOU would argue that he hasnt been really good so far this year.

Again, I dont care in the least what Langford Sr does. If he goes to prison for tax evasion, I literally couldn't care less.

It has absolutely no bearing on Romeo and IU. The NCAA already determined the money paid to Langford Sr was clean. If he chooses not to pay taxes on his personal income, why would the NCAA care? They wouldn't.

Again, you are making an assumption that need not be true. The NCAA made their judgment based upon info available at the time. However, the FBI has discovery powers greater than the NCAA. The FBI is investigating and none of us know what may have been uncovered at this point. It is certainly possible that nothing additional has been/will be uncovered but it is also certainly possible that additional info on the matter has been/will be found. The Feds do have the ability to squeeze people, especially those seeking to avoid or minimize punishment.

The NCAA has already declared that they will use info discovered by the Feds in making their determination in this shoe money matter.

You are likely correct about the timing and the speed of the investigation. If RL is a OAD, which I still am not convinced about and the Top5 thing is at this point fantasy imo as I believe the 2 pt percentage goes down with better competition and the 3 pt percentage is pretty well established. Given the NBA's further line and more athletic guards defending him the pro stats are more likely to trend down than up and the shooting percentages will not be that high to begin.

However, if there is dirt re the pere then it is likely that there will be consequences to IU for using an improper player. Mandated absence from the Tourney and/or scholarship penalties would affect successor players. There would also go the "We are pure..." commentary that we get from IU fans' postings as this would be the second time in a decade that there were issues.

Just so you know it is not just me/us here, HoosierfanJM posts here and he has pointed out that the whole parent/coach payment loophole is dirty as hell as well and fraught with peril. He believes that it needs to be eliminated. So don't pretend that it is just us here who are making the point.

Reactions: Inspector100
I clearly stated he hasnt shot the ball as well as I expected. It could easily change. He has certainly been hitting at a higher rate recently than the beginning of the year.

I said he would average around 17 and 6 and got called out for it. He is averaging 18 and 6 through 9 games. I don't even think YOU would argue that he hasnt been really good so far this year.

Again, you need context. So far he has played weak competition for the most part and a lot of it at home. Also note the the two B1G teams played have yet to win a game. That is not a trend likely to continue because better teams will appear and tapes will allow for better defense. Probabilities suggest a downtrend more easily than a uptrend. Could there be an uptrend? Of course, but the odds are against it.

Again, you are making an assumption that need not be true. The NCAA made their judgment based upon info available at the time. However, the FBI has discovery powers greater than the NCAA. The FBI is investigating and none of us know what may have been uncovered at this point. It is certainly possible that nothing additional has been/will be uncovered but it is also certainly possible that additional info on the matter has been/will be found. The Feds do have the ability to squeeze people, especially those seeking to avoid or minimize punishment.

The NCAA has already declared that they will use info discovered by the Feds in making their determination in this shoe money matter.

You are likely correct about the timing and the speed of the investigation. If RL is a OAD, which I still am not convinced about and the Top5 thing is at this point fantasy imo as I believe the 2 pt percentage goes down with better competition and the 3 pt percentage is pretty well established. Given the NBA's further line and more athletic guards defending him the pro stats are more likely to trend down than up and the shooting percentages will not be that high to begin.

However, if there is dirt re the pere then it is likely that there will be consequences to IU for using an improper player. Mandated absence from the Tourney and/or scholarship penalties would affect successor players. There would also go the "We are pure..." commentary that we get from IU fans' postings as this would be the second time in a decade that there were issues.

Just so you know it is not just me/us here, HoosierfanJM posts here and he has pointed out that the whole parent/coach payment loophole is dirty as hell as well and fraught with peril. He believes that it needs to be eliminated. So don't pretend that it is just us here who are making the point.

Imagine wasting all the time to write this.

If it comes out that the FBI found hard evidence that Romeo received improper benefits, then I will change my stance on him. There is nothing currently linking him to any improper benefit.

You are the one assuming. I dont think shoe companies should be allowed to funnel hundreds of thousands of dollars for an individual to coach an AAU team. However, it is not dirty currently. You might as well take advantage of the situation if it's there and legal.

It is my belief that an AAU coach/director be given a set salary with a cap on earnings. However, that is currently not the rule, so again I dont know why you are so impassioned about it.

As far as any of us know, there was no improper benefit or dirtiness in the Romeo recruitment. Could that change? Certainly.

Mods can we lock this thread please? I mean how many times can we discuss the same thing over and over and over and over and over again?

Again, you need context. So far he has played weak competition for the most part and a lot of it at home. Also note the the two B1G teams played have yet to win a game. That is not a trend likely to continue because better teams will appear and tapes will allow for better defense. Probabilities suggest a downtrend more easily than a uptrend. Could there be an uptrend? Of course, but the odds are against it.
His best games came against Marquette and Arkansas on the road.

Kenpom defensive ratings for our last 3 opponents (Duke, Northwestern, PSU) are 7th, 27th, and 10th respectively. Those are 3 pretty good defensive teams.

You are just guessing by saying his numbers will go down. Should I be saying the same about Carsen, Cline, and EB? Where would that leave you guys if all of their numbers went down? Romeo us off to a fantastic start, and I dont see it slowing down any time soon.

Now, I really dont think we will ever agree on anything, so there is really no point in continuing to converse.

There's already a case precedent (Bagley) where the NCAA has ruled it isn't against NCAA rules for an apparel company to pay the parent of a recruit to run a sponsored AAU program. It's an occupation, there's no NCAA violation against it. It has been ruled as such.

The only thing the Langford's can be guilty of is not claiming their payment from Adidas as taxable income. That's it. Committing tax evasion isn't against NCAA rules. Is it against the law? Sure. But the NCAA doesn't regulate tax evasion. So stupid to continue to argue this point. The FBI indicted those who committed federal crimes, not those who committed NCAA infractions. You can beat your ass that if the Langford's dad didn't claim the money from Adidas as a source of income, he would have been indicted by now. He hasn't.

Nothing is going to happen to Indiana, or Langford, because Adidas paying Langford's dad to run a sponsored program doesn't break NCAA violations. So stupid to think otherwise.

His best games came against Marquette and Arkansas on the road.

Kenpom defensive ratings for our last 3 opponents (Duke, Northwestern, PSU) are 7th, 27th, and 10th respectively. Those are 3 pretty good defensive teams.

You are just guessing by saying his numbers will go down. Should I be saying the same about Carsen, Cline, and EB? Where would that leave you guys if all of their numbers went down? Romeo us off to a fantastic start, and I dont see it slowing down any time soon.

Now, I really dont think we will ever agree on anything, so there is really no point in continuing to converse.

You can choose to converse or not as you decide.

About "guessing" future performance: of course I am. That's the point; it hasn't happened yet, duh! The question is whether the guess is a reasonable one. My point is that playing better competition and with tape prep the job gets harder rather than easier.

NW and PSU are 0-4 in conference play. Neither will finish in the top two-thirds of the conference. Marquette has a decent win in KState in Milwaukee. The other wins are almost all cupcakes. The only decent team Arkansas has beaten is IU. Arkansas has lost to Texas and Texas is not very good.While Pomeroy has interesting statistics, the real measure is how well a team does against good competition on a consistent basis. Do you really expect NW and PSU to be considered significant wins in March?

About "guessing" future performance: of course I am. That's the point; it hasn't happened yet, duh! The question is whether the guess is a reasonable one. My point is that playing better competition and with tape prep the job gets harder rather than easier.

NW and PSU are 0-4 in conference play. Neither will finish in the top two-thirds of the conference. Marquette has a decent win in KState in Milwaukee. The other wins are almost all cupcakes. The only decent team Arkansas has beaten is IU. Arkansas has lost to Texas and Texas is not very good.While Pomeroy has interesting statistics, the real measure is how well a team does against good competition on a consistent basis. Do you really expect NW and PSU to be considered significant wins in March?
I'm guessing Texas will be "good" if you beat them Sunday haha.

Yes, PSU will be considered a very good win by the committee considering it will be a Q1 win. Northwestern is a Q2 win.

If Purdue loses tonight and is 0-2 like Northwestern and PSU, should we consider them a bad team as well?

How far do you expect Romeo's numbers to fall?

I could be completely wrong, but I do think that NW will be a top 30 KenPom/NET team by year's end. I thought that after the IU game, and then even more so after they took Michigan to the wire. That's difficult to do no matter where you play them. Penn St., probably not, their offense is not very good. They do have a good defense though and will be a tough out for most teams at home.

If they do lose to MD tonight they will be 0-2 but to superior teams. The four losses would be to ranked teams, kind of different - but you know that. At this point I consider Texas fair/good and Purdue good but not very good.

I wouldn’t count on Romeo’s numbers falling much. As a previous poster pointed out, IU has played teams with decent defenses according to the stats at this point in the season, and Romeo hasnt really put together two good halves. He’s done the majority of his scoring in one half pretty much every game, and he’s done it with a pretty sturdy wrap on his shooting hand. As the season goes on and he gets more assertive, I wouldn’t be surprised if his numbers actually go up.

I wouldn’t count on Romeo’s numbers falling much. As a previous poster pointed out, IU has played teams with decent defenses according to the stats at this point in the season, and Romeo hasnt really put together two good halves. He’s done the majority of his scoring in one half pretty much every game, and he’s done it with a pretty sturdy wrap on his shooting hand. As the season goes on and he gets more assertive, I wouldn’t be surprised if his numbers actually go up.

Well, Red, we will see who is right. As Twain pointed out: "Prediction is difficult, especially about the future."

Just remember, those defenses were based upon games that included a good number of cupcakes. The cupcakes go away as conference play goes on and I suggest that the odds favor a decline rather than status quo or improvement.

Also, don't forget he averaged 33% (or close to it) from 3 during his HS career. He is shooting from further out and against better competition. That does not favor substantial increase.

Well, Red, we will see who is right. As Twain pointed out: "Prediction is difficult, especially about the future."

Just remember, those defenses were based upon games that included a good number of cupcakes. The cupcakes go away as conference play goes on and I suggest that the odds favor a decline rather than status quo or improvement.

Also, don't forget he averaged 33% (or close to it) from 3 during his HS career. He is shooting from further out and against better competition. That does not favor substantial increase.

That last stat kind of helps my argument though. He’s averaging 18 a game on 25% 3 pt shooting right now. If he can manage to get back to his HS percentage, it’ll be an increase in PPG.

His numbers will or should go up. He is that good! NE will hopefully have a good defensive night when we face them. I know it's in the " Hall of Calls".

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
That last stat kind of helps my argument though. He’s averaging 18 a game on 25% 3 pt shooting right now. If he can manage to get back to his HS percentage, it’ll be an increase in PPG.

I do not see why you said that. You are attempting to extrapolate a regression to the mean, or so it seems. The problem with that is that the mean was based upon a different set of conditions (lesser 3 pt distance and quality of defensive opponents) than he faces now. As such, the ability to project back to the mean is invalid because the mean was established in a different set of data.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT