ADVERTISEMENT

This weeks commitments have silenced the critics.

The problem is, if the staff does well he'll still nitpick and not like them.

A return to 6-7 regular season wins silences 80% of my criticism. The remaining 20% puts me in line with most other posters in terms of frequency. However, the general focus of my criticisms would be similar big picture stuff. I dont get into criticizing individual play calls or performances.
For example, I never second guessed a Tiller, Hope, or Hazell play call, but constantly was upset with Tiller for tipping his hand on run/pass plays with the WRs he put out there. I get wanting to have your best blockers in, but mix it up.

A return to 8+ regular season wins silences 90%

Anything less than that gets more of the same dependent on how much stuff the coaches/press says that gets me all worked up.

What is this thread all about…. 3 star and 2 star recuits…. My silence is because I remember the days of Joe Tiller and are about done with the Hazell brand of football. If the first two years in the Big 10 are an indication of its long term viability, it is a very poor product for Purdue University.

The OL and LBs are much better. Its just that most of everything else is terrible.

Splitting hairs though, because basically I agree

Bottom line is wins & loses, & Hazell has too many loses, & not nearly enough wins. I care a whole lot less what the team does pre B1G season. If after 3 seasons of B1G play, he has 3 or 4 wins, then this/his 3rd year would be his last. I would be sure [as the A. D.] to tell him this, loud & clear, after the last game of last season. I want him to know exactly where he stands, exactly what is expected of him, & I'd have told him clearly, after the last game of last season, "Next B1G season, if you don't get at least 3 conference wins, next season, that will be your last season here." I'm not saying he isn't a "good coach", but he clearly has a lot of learning to do at this [B1G] level. This isn't the MAC, & what might have worked there, clearly isn't working [fast enough] here. He has plenty of learning to do, & experience to get at this level, I just don't think Purdue should suffer [this much] while he learns the [B1G] ropes here. Maybe he should have been brought along more slowly, as an assistant/AC/DC, at this level? I would be pleasantly shocked if Purdue won 3 B1G games this season. If that miracle does happen, I'd reevaluate his curent standing, short & long term viability here, with the AD, board, coordinators, & others at season's end. I really hope that happens.

I agree, I am surprised Hazell is getting these commits considering his record. I will say that he had a nice first recruiting class before the season started, then half way through the season the top 5 players jumped ship after seeing what he does on the field. We all agree Hazell does just about everything well every day except for 12 Saturdays in the fall he is at his worse. Where some coaches suck at everything else but some how are the best on those 12 Saturdays. I still hope he can learn to be better at winning games, but he has had 24 opportunities that shows it is unlikely to happen. Once again I think this class so far is looking like a good class, unfortunately it does nothing to help Purdue win games this year.

Hey it's only 12 days a year what could go wrong?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT