ADVERTISEMENT

This weeks commitments have silenced the critics.

I think 5 wins +/- 1. If he loses to IU again, he needs to hit the road.
This. It is unacceptable to lose to IU, like ever, but losing three straight years basically makes it impossible for me to back the coach. Purdue owns IU historically, and Purdue shouldn't need gimmicks like countdown clocks and slogans to get hyped for IU. Beating IU is expected at Purdue.

Tiller got it right. He beat IU 10 out of 12 times he coached against them as HC. The two losses were in the "miracle" game with Antwaan Randle-El in 2001 and the 2007 "miracle" game after Terry Hoeppner died and IU won on a last-second FG 30-27. Purdue sleptwalked through the first three quarters and still nearly pulled it out.

Coach Hazell should own IU just like Tiller did. His coaching staff is far and away better than IU's on paper, and I think his roster is better talent-wise. Hope lost to IU twice in four tries and that was one of the reasons he was let go.

It just baffles me that you think we can only win 2, when there are 9+ games on our schedule that we have a legitimate chance in.

I think every game on our schedule is legitly winnable save Wisky. I would say MSU, but Haz seems to play them well.

What Nat said. Without a homerun hitter, we are relying on long drives. I dont think the skill positions can execute them, nor do I think the staff can call the plays or create the mismatches. There will be a ton of 1-2 first down drives and interceptions on long balls will be a problem.

WRs are all promise. Anthrop is closest and his injury will hamper him, and even he didnt look good most of the season. Haz and Shoop call pass plays like they think the oline should be able to hold for 5 one thousand consistantly. They are dreaming.

Tough yards will get harder to come by as the season wears on. The RBs will get run down being young and small, and the offense will be more predictable.

Defensively, how are we going to pressure the QB? Ive seen zero creative blitzes from this staff. Its all very straight forward, and we dont have the ends to beat tackles on their own. So they will be in good positions 3rd and 5+ but give up a lot of them.

Without exception, they will be better at every position, turn in some entertaining losses, mail a few games in. It wont look that different than last year. I think we beat ISU and some bottom tier big ten team. Beating Bowling Green wont shock me, but I think its a let down game a la Northern Illinois or CMU. We will play VT and Nebraska tough. We also cycle through WRs as the year goes on, and the general lack of cohesion continues.

You've NEVER given any actual reason why we will be worse.

I dont know why you say this. Im constantly ragging on things like fixing cbs to a side of the field, allowing the opponent to dictate mismatches. Inability to develop QBs, refusal to shirt guys and allow them to get to know each other...

In short, I think the coaching/management stays the same, and we lose whatever % of yards Hunt and Mostert made up. The WRs will make up for it a little, but come with lots of sacks and pics. Hunt and Mostert were worst case senario 2 yard loss.

Reactions: rbaggie
I dont know why you say this. Im constantly ragging on things like fixing cbs to a side of the field, allowing the opponent to dictate mismatches. Inability to develop QBs, refusal to shirt guys and allow them to get to know each other...

In short, I think the coaching/management stays the same, and we lose whatever % of yards Hunt and Mostert made up. The WRs will make up for it a little, but come with lots of sacks and pics. Hunt and Mostert were worst case senario 2 yard loss.
Sticking up for Boiler17...I think he has been quite clear in his concerns. We don't always see it the same, but I sure know where he is coming from.

Sticking up for Boiler17...I think he has been quite clear in his concerns. We don't always see it the same, but I sure know where he is coming from.

Because we hear it over, and over and over.

His shit is not always on point either.

If anyone needs a lesson in the "pot calling the kettle black" this would be exhibit #1.
I just want to know if you're going to come back and eat crow if the team wins less than 5 games this year?

Last edited:

To be clear, I take no offense to you. Anyone willing to remotely talk Purdue Football in July is good by me. But youre saying I say nothing, then I say the same thing repeatedly, then its that Im not always right.

Whats actually the issue? I think you just dont like that I think these coaches are trash.

Last edited:
If anyone needs a lesson in the "pot calling the kennel black" this would be exhibit #1.
I just want to know if you're going to come back and eat crow if the team wins less than 5 games this year?
Do you mean "pot calling the kettle black"?

To be clear, I take no offense to you. Anyone willing to remotely talk Purdue Football in July is good by me. But youre saying I say nothing, then I say the same thing repeatedly, then its that Im not always right.

Whats actually the issue? I think you just dont like that I think these coaches are trash.

You think the coaches are trash....when basically every single one of them has been successful at a previous stop. Hudson-ECU, Shoop-UNC (but not as much as he should have), Hazell- Kent.....so it's clear these guys know what they are doing and have achieved it in situations that its honestly tougher to do than Purdue.

You have no vision. You have no patience. I feel that the staff is in a decent position to turn the program around and SUSTAIN and CONTINUE TO BUILD whereas the previous coach was lucky to win 6 games twice in some of the worst BIGs overall EVER and his poor talent evaluation and development and the timing of his recruiting put us in the poor situation that Hazell inherited.

Not seeing that is part of the/your problem. This was a long haul re-build from the start. This staff was getting 4 years to do so from the start. Not being on board with that means you're not on board with Purdue...plain and simple. I don't think you could name me a coach that would have won more than 3-4 games in 2013 and 5-6 last year. We certainly fell short expectation wise last year...but last year is last year. Getting deeper and stronger and better isn't going to set this team back.

Not seeing that is part of the/your problem. This was a long haul re-build from the start. This staff was getting 4 years to do so from the start. Not being on board with that means you're not on board with Purdue...plain and simple.

That may be one of the more flawed arguments i have seen. It may be the way you feel, but no one coach or his staff is Purdue Football. Hazell isnt the program he is the coach. Being a Purdue fan and a Hazell fan ARE NOT mutually inclusive.

Also, he had one winning season at Kent, that doesnt eliminate all doubt as to his success here. He has 1 winning season in 4 as head coach. Water finds its level.

That may be one of the more flawed arguments i have seen. It may be the way you feel, but no one coach or his staff is Purdue Football. Hazell isnt the program he is the coach. Being a Purdue fan and a Hazell fan ARE NOT mutually inclusive.

Also, he had one winning season at Kent, that doesnt eliminate all doubt as to his success here. He has 1 winning season in 4 as head coach. Water finds its level.

Bad coaches don't win 11 games in the MAC. Find me 1 coach who has done this and then NOT been successful at the next level. Maybe Hazell is the first...but not allowing him to dig out of the hole Danny Hope put us in talent wise would be a huge mistake and its not fair to judge him before that.

Bad coaches don't win 11 games in the MAC. Find me 1 coach who has done this and then NOT been successful at the next level. Maybe Hazell is the first...but not allowing him to dig out of the hole Danny Hope put us in talent wise would be a huge mistake and its not fair to judge him before that.

Agree he should be given a chance, but to say someone isn't a Purdue fan because they don't think he is capable is ridiculous.

Imo he should get 4 years unless he completely wets the bed this year

Agree he should be given a chance, but to say someone isn't a Purdue fan because they don't think he is capable is ridiculous.

Imo he should get 4 years unless he completely wets the bed this year

The point is, he's not just against him....he's clearly actively rooting and rallying against the guy. That is indeed anti-Purdue. Now, if he lays a turd this year and then doesn't shake some stuff up (like getting rid of Shoop) then fine, hate away.

when basically every single one of them has been successful at a previous stop. Hudson-ECU, Shoop-UNC (but not as much as he should have), Hazell- Kent.....so it's clear these guys know what they are doing and have achieved it in situations that its honestly tougher to do than Purdue.

Agree. I have very little doubt about the ability and character of these coaches. They have still performed very poorly. The struggles to use guys effectively, manage matchups, and adjust in game has nothing to do with baseline talent. If its all on Hope why cant a QB, RB, DE, or WR take an incremental step forward after two years? Good Olines and LBs are great, but you cant have half the team not exist. These guys are the same as Hope and Co. They just have strengths at different positions and one wins 4 more games a year with half the supporting cast salary as the other. Neither are good.

Props on making a point.

Being fair, you could be right about the slow build. The same way you could have been right about your prediction last year or how you could have been right about the team turning the page half way through last year.

BTW, were you not a Purdue fan when Hope was coach then?

The point is, he's not just against him....he's clearly actively rooting and rallying against the guy. That is indeed anti-Purdue. Now, if he lays a turd this year and then doesn't shake some stuff up (like getting rid of Shoop) then fine, hate away.

No sir. Hazell gets a body in the stands and a few grand from me a year. Far more than most give him, and far more than hes earned. Pay attention to me this year. You wont see me happy after losses. Frankly, Im genuinely grateful to him when I get to see shout.

And good coaches don't go 4-20 over a two year stretch in the B1G. I'm curious just how long you've been a Purdue fan. I've been through the misery of DeMoss, Agase, Akers, Burtnett, Colletto, Hope, et al and I've not seen anything that approached the miserable product that Hazzell has put on the field the last two years. So if I've endured all of that and can't seem to get on board with your rah rah wagon for Hazzell and crew go ahead and burn my fan card. But understand that just because we don't all agree 100% with what you're pushing doesn't mean we care less for Purdue than you do. Frankly I'm real tired of the world we live in where anyone with a differing opinion is wrong, an idiot or on other topics a bigot.

Here's the thing; hazell hasn't proven he can win at this level. This will be his 5th season as a Div 1 head coach. He's coached 50 games...22 against P5 schools and has won 2. As a head coach,going 2-20 against BIG level competition, isn't going to give the fan base very much confidence in his ability to coach in a major conference.
This year,beating Marshall,Indiana State and Bowling Green should be expected. The remaining nine P5 games are what he should be judged on. A 6-6 season this year (with a crappy bowl win 7-6) should be the absolute minimum he needs to keep his job. Anything less and interest in the program,attendance at games and recruiting will continue to get worse.

Last edited:

Hazell inherited that 11 win team at Kent State, just as he inherited the 1 and 3 win teams at Purdue from Hope. That goes both ways.

And good coaches don't go 4-20 over a two year stretch in the B1G. I'm curious just how long you've been a Purdue fan. I've been through the misery of DeMoss, Agase, Akers, Burtnett, Colletto, Hope, et al and I've not seen anything that approached the miserable product that Hazzell has put on the field the last two years. So if I've endured all of that and can't seem to get on board with your rah rah wagon for Hazzell and crew go ahead and burn my fan card. But understand that just because we don't all agree 100% with what you're pushing doesn't mean we care less for Purdue than you do. Frankly I'm real tired of the world we live in where anyone with a differing opinion is wrong, an idiot or on other topics a bigot.

Again, he's not an idiot because of his opinion. It might even turn out to be right. He's an idiot because he actively roots against the success of the coaches for his team.

He can deny that fact, but it's clear up and down the board what he thinks of them and what he hope's happens.

And I know I should just leave it alone, but if I were rooting against Purdue, wouldnt I love/approve of Hazell?

And I know I should just leave it alone, but if I were rooting against Purdue, wouldnt I love/approve of Hazell?
I am quite surprised you truly have a "Master Plan"
Mike-Myers-Dr-Evil.jpg

Reactions: SDBoiler1
whoa, you are indeed sinister AND diabolical! well maybe NOT diabolical!

Now that's just wrong. I'm beginning to think that you wear red and white candy striped p.j.'s to bed just like any good Loosier would do. (Or maybe green Leprechaun p.j.'s?)

All right guys, Im confused. First I have to like Hazell, then I'm a hoosier if I do. Its like high school in here!

I think not liking the staff, especially when the team only won a few games the last few years , is understandable, maybe the cupboard was bare. Whatever you think about others, I like reading boiler 17"s comments, as I do others, and if someone wants to call me an idiot , that's fine, of course you could just be pulling boiler 17's chain, he takes it pretty well.

I think not liking the staff, especially when the team only won a few games the last few years , is understandable, maybe the cupboard was bare. Whatever you think about others, I like reading boiler 17"s comments, as I do others, and if someone wants to call me an idiot , that's fine, of course you could just be pulling boiler 17's chain, he takes it pretty well.

The problem is, if the staff does well he'll still nitpick and not like them.

You are implying that Hazell is a bad coach.

You are implying that Hazell is a bad coach.

I hear you. Its difficult for me cause I have little doubt he is a good coach. But hes been a terrible one, IMO, at Purdue. No two ways around that for me. Bare cupboard or whatever.

The things he talks about correcting like getting players to like him, making certain adjustments, or the things they talk about will make us successful and dont follow through on are alarming to me. I think what he says is just as scarey to me as how his team performs. It also bugs me that two years in a row fans are on here asking for certain things to happen that actually end up happening mid to late in the year. That sort of obviousness needs to be worked out in April/August if they are to be successful.

So is he a good coach, sure, but not right now in WL he isnt. It just also annoys me when people assume that others in high profile million dollar roles are idiots. Dumb got weeded out a long time before someone makes it to a role like that

I hear you. Its difficult for me cause I have little doubt he is a good coach. But hes been a terrible one, IMO, at Purdue. No two ways around that for me. Bare cupboard or whatever.

The things he talks about correcting like getting players to like him, making certain adjustments, or the things they talk about will make us successful and dont follow through on are alarming to me. I think what he says is just as scarey to me as how his team performs. It also bugs me that two years in a row fans are on here asking for certain things to happen that actually end up happening mid to late in the year. That sort of obviousness needs to be worked out in April/August if they are to be successful.

So is he a good coach, sure, but not right now in WL he isnt. It just also annoys me when people assume that others in high profile million dollar roles are idiots. Dumb got weeded out a long time before someone makes it to a role like that
I understand your point about being slow to make changes, many times on things that seem obvious to casual fans. Personally, I'm still not sold on Shoop, but Coach Hazell is loyal almost to a fault. This year will be very telling. If Purdue craps itself on the field again, there will be many "fans" coming around with pitchforks and torches looking to ride Coach Hazell out-of-town on a rail.

I sincerely hope this doesn't happen. This staff has the potential to be very good for Purdue, but somehow potential has to be turned into production and wins on the field.

The problem is, if the staff does well he'll still nitpick and not like them.
And if they stink it up again this year, you'll be right there blaming him for his perceived (on your part) negativity towards the staff being the reason the failed. I don't see him as a nitpicker. I see him as a realist. The Hazzell staff hasn't done squat in its' first two years. No staff in Purdue history has such a history of mediocrity at Purdue. Just what that he has said is untrue and just what that you have said shows they will be different this year?

So now you're siding with fans of other programs?

You truly are just a jaded hater. The schedule is competitive. It's pretty similar and most likely better than the one Iowa plays too...

I'm a life long Purdue fan, however, when you're bad, every schedule is tough. I'm just waiting for Superman/a legitimate coach. Why should Purdue keep Hazell if, after his 3rd B1G season, he can't even win 3 conference games in a single season, & with the short & long term situation looking as bleak as the past 2 seasons, & as bleak as this season? This season should be a make or break season for Hazell. Win [at least] 3 B1G games this season, or start looking for a new job at season's end. I can't think of any other head football coach in Purdue's history, who has started out this badly. I realize he came here with this Purdue team already having real problems already waiting for him, but what short or long term improvements has he made?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT