ADVERTISEMENT

This weeks commitments have silenced the critics.

The coaches are landing their top targets and in my opinion that is more important than some guys opinion from Rivals. If you want to go by stars, we've got 8 three stars, and 1 two star. As for Hope's class with so many signees, I have always based my optimism on if the coaches are signing their A list targets. So far this class is 100% A list commits. Hope never did anything close to that. he usually signed a bunch of B and C targets from Florida to fill the class at the end. I feel more confident when the class is the guys the coaches like best.

Hope signed a lot of his a players too. Don't rewrite history to fit your narrative

Hope signed a lot of his a players too. Don't rewrite history to fit your narrative
I am only explaining why I'm content with this class. The coaches have got 100% A list guys so far. All coaches get some of the guys they want. This is a fast start with guys the coaches want. This is much more important than what the Rivals rankings are. Hope was never supported when he was coach and he never had 9 commits by June. I like this class for the reasons stated. I'm not trying to offend anybody, but what the coaches want is what is important. Rivals ratings are interesting but I don't want a coach who makes offers based on Rivals ratings.

Considering he is 4-20, im not sure if he deserves that type of deference.

I wasn't silent, just busy. All of these recruits are great, but until they actually produce something on the field with the current staff leading them, I will forgo being too optimistic .... yet.

I wasn't silent, just busy. All of these recruits are great, but until they actually produce something on the field with the current staff leading them, I will forgo being too optimistic .... yet.
It sounds like you may start to come around...maybe just a little?

Surely you can distinguish between bottom half and rock bottom. Admit it or not, Purdue's recruiting does seem to be on a positive upswing. Right now, we need to take the positives when we get them with this program. Hopefully, we can continue to climb out of our hole, become relevant again, and stop losing to IU.
Purdue's recruiting "SEEMS" to be on a positive upswing right now simply because recruit's are currently committing. Look around the country. Same thing happening at all schools. Same kind of optimistic posts every where else. Some warranted. Some not. To me it looks like we've got a good enough class to compete in the upper quarter of the MAC which would still be an improvement over what we've seen in the first two years on the field.

I stand by my cynicism and all from yesterday, but fight the good fight here. You keep on all the people that look up our recruiting rankings and reflexively call the staff bad recruiters, and I will ward off the ones that say we have a tough schedule.

Pretty sure theres gonna be a ton of both.
Ummmm.... We do have a tough schedule.

BBG, you won't have a very long wait.
I applaud your optimism and I used to have the same level for the football program, but it has been too dismal for too long for me to buy in to it. At least not until the team plays it's first game because we have had this type of hype before only to have the season be a total failure.

Its interesting though that a lot of the highly touted teams that were very good last year have graduated some key players. Easy no, but maybe not quite as imposing of a schedule as a first read might indicate.

Why? VT is the only respectable OOC opponent, and they are lesser than ND. I happily give you @ MSU and @ Wisky. Minnesota and Nebraska will be very different, and probably average, teams. Then youre talking about Ill, NW, Iowa, and IU.

So youre saying we have a tough schedule because we have a p5 non top 25 home OOC game, and play two tough conference games or are you saying it cause some moron published a list of tough schedules weighted entirely by last years teams?

Reactions: boiler800
Its interesting though that a lot of the highly touted teams that were very good last year have graduated some key players. Easy no, but maybe not quite as imposing of a schedule as a first read might indicate.

SOS wise from last year we have the 6th toughest schedule based on opponents W-L record. Computers now have us in the mid 20s SOS wise normalized to this year. I think that's more accurate.

That said, Nebraska is down their top WR and all world RB. Minny lost Cobb....and that kid was an absolute load. Wisky loses Gordon...and while Clement is good...he's no Gordon. Tevin Coleman is gone at IU meaning we no longer have to worry about their run game....but they get Sudfeld back but also lost their top 2 wideouts.

The conference is pretty wide open...and if we take some strides forward this year we could easily win 4 games in the BIG. Just need to pick up a few in our tough OOC to make a bowl!

Chill out mrs. Hazell. Happy Fourth of July!
On paper, not so bad so far but only time tells.Coach Hazell wife's name is Annmarie. Could you imagine if her first name was Hazel? "What's your name?" Hazel Hazell. "Did you studder?"

Happy 4th 2U2.

It's only difficult because you're not very good.

The entire West outside of Wisconsin is a mess. Va Tech has been significantly down the last few years from where they usually are. Marshall should be solid but nowhere near where they were last year. IU is thoroughly mediocre. MSU will be very good, and along with Wisco are the only truly excellent teams that you will face (and Wisco is only ranked as high as they are because the rest of the West is awful and they don't have to play any of the good teams from the East).

If you had a decent team you'd be talking about winning a wide-open division, but because you've been so terrible lately, the schedule suddenly becomes "tough." Take a look at the schedules that some of the East teams are playing and then come back and talk about how hard your schedule is.

The entire West outside of Wisconsin is a mess. Va Tech has been significantly down the last few years from where they usually are. Marshall should be solid but nowhere near where they were last year. IU is thoroughly mediocre. MSU will be very good, and along with Wisco are the only truly excellent teams that you will face (and Wisco is only ranked as high as they are because the rest of the West is awful and they don't have to play any of the good teams from the East).

If you had a decent team you'd be talking about winning a wide-open division, but because you've been so terrible lately, the schedule suddenly becomes "tough." Take a look at the schedules that some of the East teams are playing and then come back and talk about how hard your schedule is.

Who is this dbag?

Reactions: Frankie611
Many coaches can recruit, but many fewer yet can turn those recruits into a well oiled finished product, that actually produces positive results/wins out on the playing field. Hazell has yet to put a good product out on the field. Wake me & stop the presses, when he gets 3 B1G wins in 1 season. I hope he does well, but hope & $1.25 will get me a cup of coffee.

Now let's see him actually coach them to [3 B1G] victories. That's the hard/time consuming part of the good coach equation. By the way, where does this season's class rank in the B1G?

Go Boilers/Coach Hazell

He's an Ioweenie so he really doesn't know crap about football but judging by the people raving about our current recruits and predicting great things for the Boilers this year he really doesn't NEED to know much about football to be able to explain it on here.

Hows he wrong though?

I have no idea how @ Marshall, a sub 25 ACC team, and this particular conference schedule equals a top 25 schedule.

I dont know jack about other teams outside of the B1G so I guess its possible.

Hows he wrong though?

I have no idea how @ Marshall, a sub 25 ACC team, and this particular conference schedule equals a top 25 schedule.

I dont know jack about other teams outside of the B1G so I guess its possible.

So now you're siding with fans of other programs?

You truly are just a jaded hater. The schedule is competitive. It's pretty similar and most likely better than the one Iowa plays too...

Reactions: boylerz99
So now you're siding with fans of other programs?

You truly are just a jaded hater. The schedule is competitive. It's pretty similar and most likely better than the one Iowa plays too...

No. Im just saying what I think is accurate. He came on here, questionable post counts and all, and made specific points about the schedule.

To which Purdue fans collectively answered 'Hes a troll Iowa fan'.

If me not thinking we wont be instantly back to the 500 record that got Hope fired makes me a jaded hater; sure, whatever.

BTW, to be considered hating, there has to be some sort of jealousy or unwarranted element to it. Im just describing whats going on.

No. Im just saying what I think is accurate. He came on here, questionable post counts and all, and made specific points about the schedule.

If me not thinking we wont be instantly back to the 500 record that got Hope fired makes me a jaded hater; sure, whatever.

BTW, to be considered hating, there has to be some sort of jealousy or unwarranted element to it. Im just describing whats going on.

He's a troll.....he's an Iowa fan criticizing our schedule....when theirs is far worse than ours. Then you hop in...with no knowledge....as usual and agree with him.

I'm not saying our schedule is the world's toughest, but its tougher than Iowa's and many sites/professionals agree. So yes, him misstating information to attempt to get us riled up makes him a troll. It just makes you the idiot that agrees with him.

Iowas schedule doesnt have anything to do with it, nor are you addressing why the notion of why "Purdue's schedule isnt tough, Purdue is just a bad team." is inaccurate.

It just makes you the idiot

We have had such better disagreements in the past, just calling me an idiot insults your intellect.

Werent you the one telling me we would win at least 5 last year? I made that bet with someone on here...

Iowas schedule doesnt have anything to do with it, nor are you addressing why the notion of why "Purdue's schedule isnt tough, Purdue is just a bad team." is inaccurate.

We have had such better disagreements in the past, just calling me an idiot insults your intellect.

Werent you the one telling me we would win at least 5 last year? I made that bet with someone on here...

I thought we would win 5, but obviously I was wrong. I didn't make that bet though.

I didn't know who you were until AFTER the season when you somehow got MORE annoying or at least annoying enough that you registered with me.

How could anyone say you are jaded? speaking your mind is good!

Right?

Im not on here calling 'optimists' suckers or yes men for believing in the staff.

To each his/her own.

You're also not saying ANYTHING positive about the upcoming team. Did you watch the spring game? IF so, you'd have seen that we most likely have 2 BIG quality RBs (DJ Knox is going to be special), the QBs have taken a step forward (and I think Blough should start) the OL has 9 or 10 guys who can play and the D has some depth outside of the front 4.

Like it or not, the team is going to be better. The question is, will the coaches get it together? My issue with your stance is that you write this staff off wholesale, when these are guys who individually have gotten it done other places.....who says they can't put it together here?

The biggest issue the coaches have fought the past 2 years has been a lack of experience and a lack of depth. That seems to be getting solved.

Some folks are wait and see types...understood, I see movement forward, but Purdue has to prove it on the field, as does everyone in football. The season is getting closer and its hard not to feel a bit of stirring for what might be as a Boiler fan this fall. The proof is found on the field.

You're also not saying ANYTHING positive about the upcoming team. Did you watch the spring game?

I did.

The RBs do look promising.

Applebees throwing mechanic looked worlds better. Much less lame ducks.

The linebackers and oline will be the best we have since 03 and 09 respectively. It will be refreshing to see a team with some meat to it.

Like it or not, the team is going to be better.

Just because I dont think they will be better doesnt mean I dont want them to be.

The biggest issue the coaches have fought the past 2 years has been a lack of experience and a lack of depth.

The biggest issue we have had the last two years is team cohesion and scheme. I agree the last two years didnt experienced two deeps, they also didnt have 22 starters that were fully invested, nor a staff fasciliating effective pre snap reads or in game adjustments. I see no reason to think the disfunction goes away.

I also think people are way too ahead of themselves with the RBs and QBs in particular. The RBs are pretty small, and the read progression from the QBs distrubs me greatly. The staff will continue to overuse things that work until they dont anymore. People also underestimate the loss of Hunt and Mostert. They werent true RBs, but the offense was based on them taking it the distance a couple times a game. I dont see how they lose that and take a step forward.

On the other hand, if you just feel the need to be positive, feel free to ignore my points and keep taking shots.

Some folks are wait and see types...understood, I see movement forward, but Purdue has to prove it on the field, as does everyone in football. The season is getting closer and its hard not to feel a bit of stirring for what might be as a Boiler fan this fall. The proof is found on the field.

For the sake of accuracy, its not wait and see. I really just see more indicators for 2ish wins than anything else. We value elements of the team differently, and thats cool with me.

For the sake of accuracy, its not wait and see. I really just see more indicators for 2ish wins than anything else. We value elements of the team differently, and thats cool with me.
2 wins? What makes you think we will be worse than last year? OL will be deeper and better. QBs will have a year of development under their belts. RBs will be better at getting tough yards.

You've NEVER given any actual reason why we will be worse. You only cite that we are losing the speed of Hunt/Mostert and think we will be worse. Bilal Marshall opens up a whole new world in the WR corps. If Anthrop is back he's a super solid slot. Mahongu and Yancey will be solid options at the outside spot.

It just baffles me that you think we can only win 2, when there are 9+ games on our schedule that we have a legitimate chance in.

The thing that concerns me is there is no home run hitter on the roster. Yeah they can get tough yards, but can they eat up large chunks like Hunt was doing at the end of the year. All thunder no lightning.

Also, the WR corp is a huge question. Anthrop is coming off an ACL injury and i have only seen one player return in a short time frame and be as good as he was pre injury immediately. That was Adrian Peterson. Marshall is unproven and Yancey showed he has a ways to go. We will see with the JUCOs. Never expect much til their 2nd year on campus.

As for QBs, given Shoop is the QB coach, im not hopeful.

I think they can be better, but given the offense will rely on long drives and given this offense and staff have not proven to be adept at completing long drives, i remain skeptical. I do like the defense, although i wish we had a legit pass rusher at the end.

Reactions: rbaggie
The thing that concerns me is there is no home run hitter on the roster. Yeah they can get tough yards, but can they eat up large chunks like Hunt was doing at the end of the year. All thunder no lightning.

Also, the WR corp is a huge question. Anthrop is coming off an ACL injury and i have only seen one player return in a short time frame and be as good as he was pre injury immediately. That was Adrian Peterson. Marshall is unproven and Yancey showed he has a ways to go. We will see with the JUCOs. Never expect much til their 2nd year on campus.

As for QBs, given Shoop is the QB coach, im not hopeful.

I think they can be better, but given the offense will rely on long drives and given this offense and staff have not proven to be adept at completing long drives, i remain skeptical. I do like the defense, although i wish we had a legit pass rusher at the end.
So it sounds like you are cautiously optimistic, maybe in the undecided column?

ADVERTISEMENT