ADVERTISEMENT

They Say "Money Talks" So Let's Talk

Earnings week ahead - Earnings season winding down. Majority of S&P 500 will have reported by week end. Market looks to open flat this morning.

Some notable earnings:

Tue
SCCO - Southern Copper. Copper is an economic indicator. A favorable long term outlook good for the housing market.

Wed
CSCO - Cisco (DOW stock) and CVS.

Thur
Nvidia NVDA, Waste Management WM, Duke Energy DUK and Pepsi PEP. I own DUK and PEP.

Thanks Twin. I'd welcome a DM to speak a bit more in depth if possible.

Have you taken any steps since a few weeks ago? The sooner you get started, the sooner you start benefiting.
Again, I'd suggest meeting with a fee only advisor. That will take some of the unknown out of the equation and help you find some starting points.

Sorry, I have been a bit dilatory in posting this.
Kudos to all posting for making the efforts you have to really try to keep this thread as non-poltical and non-adversarial as you have.
I certainly had hoped for such and felt I should, at the very least, thank everyone.

Got out of BLDP and LUNA too soon apparently.
Also missed on CUE (was watching it at $13 back in Dec, over 18 now).
Holding strong on AGRX, VERU (supposed to received big news from FDA on 2/16), MESO, OCGN.
You got your eye on anything?

I agree with you. Have several stocks in my portfolio that are 25% to 75% or even more above the historical split price. Did some research but don’t recall the exact reasoning behind the split drought.

Being a dividend investor, prices in the mid 100’s and higher make it difficult to accumulate enough shares to get a nice quarterly dividend.

Some utilities are also getting above an entry start position.

If you like dividend funds, check out:
VDIGX

Holding strong on AGRX, VERU (supposed to received big news from FDA on 2/16), MESO, OCGN.

All green today.
I have held on defiantly with FCEL and still looking long. Still hold BLDP, BYND, AGRX and OCGN. I also took a flyer on a handful of NVIV which will reverse split 1:30 tomorrow.
Since I am in the Midwest in winter, these are the only roller coaster rides that I knew of.
At least it certainly hasn't been boring.
EDIT I saw a 13g filing today about FCEL that a guy in Florida picked up 11m shares for a 5%+ stake.

Reactions: hunkgolden
I’m curious as to what strategies some of you sage folks utilize in retirement? How much of your portfolio do you stay aggressive with or moderate with in retirement? Is there a time horizon that you utilize in protecting a portion of your investments from volatility...assuming those funds would be used in the near future for living expenses?

I’m curious as to what strategies some of you sage folks utilize in retirement? How much of your portfolio do you stay aggressive with or moderate with in retirement? Is there a time horizon that you utilize in protecting a portion of your investments from volatility...assuming those funds would be used in the near future for living expenses?
The simple answer to question 2 depends on a person’s risk tolerance. Higher risk tolerance, higher percentage in equities. Lower risk tolerance, higher percentage in fixed assets.

The old rule of thumb or more conventional asset allocation is to have your age invested in fixed assets. Age 30 - 30% fixed and 70% equities. Since we are living longer, a newer approach is to subtract your age from 110 to determine a ballpark equity allocation. Using same 30 year old age, 110 - 30 = 80% in equities and 20% fixed. Age 50 would be 60% equities, 40% fixed. Use 120 for a more aggressive allocation. Other strategies can be found on the web.

Going back to one of my first posts in this thread, the earlier someone gets fixed asset allocation in place, becomes much easier to manage a proper asset balance. And fixed assets can be a counter balance to market down periods. Maintaining a proper balance will help to mitigate the volatility issue.

My overall asset allocation is about 68% equities and 32% fixed. Retirement accounts, IRA and ROTH is about 57% equities and 43% fixed. Equity percentage has increased the last 6-8 years, but I don’t do any rebalancing. Invested “new money” in the lower percentage asset class.

Retirement income stream - Social Security, monthly bond dividends, stock dividends, IRA distributions. Taking a small percentage in IRA distributions to have lower RMD later. Any “new money” or reinvestment goes toward individual stocks, equity funds and bond funds that I have in my non-retirement account.

EVSI may be interesting approaching 52 wk high though

EVSI may be interesting approaching 52 wk high though
EVSI is almost exactly where they were a year ago in the mid 10's. I'm not a fan of solar (but don't really have a good reason why I'm not).

I'm kicking myself over CUE.

Reactions: 70boiler
Bonefish - how/where do you find the stocks to invest in? Just looking at AGRX and see its skyrocketing today. How did you hear about this? Thanks in advance!

Bonefish - how/where do you find the stocks to invest in? Just looking at AGRX and see its skyrocketing today. How did you hear about this? Thanks in advance!

Hunkgolden,

Over the last few years, I've literally gone through every biotech stock in the NASDAQ, almost 650 stocks. Here's a good resource:
https://topforeignstocks.com/stock-lists/the-complete-list-of-biotech-stocks-trading-on-nasdaq/

I'm in no way, shape or form an expert. Plus, we're in a long term strong bull market so that helps.
I'm not an analyst, so I'm not reading annual reports or trying to decipher complex financial data, nor am I trying to assess the viability of a particular new drug, diagnostic or whatever.
In addition, most of these stocks are not long term investments (for that, I put my long term money in Fidelity and Vanguard funds). I'm essentially looking for homeruns or short term pops, riding the momentum that stock has shown over the last 12-24 months with the expectation that it will continue assuming no negative news (typically something from the FDA) is going to derail it. I do like micro-cap developmental stage oncology stocks because they have such big potential for a huge return.
But here's what I'm looking at:
1) Stock price (I like stocks <$20 and really looking for <$10)
2) I look at 12, 18, 24 months charts. I'm looking for consistent stock price growth (not really looking at stocks that have dropped and trying to catch the bottom).
3) From that initial 650, I write down about 100 that catch my initial interest. From that, take another look at the charts, and cut that down to about 20. Of those 20, I might do a little deeper dive and finally, I might put money into 5-7 of them.
I've won some and lost some (current losers include BDSI and GERN).
I've also found the conversations on this thread to be helpful and have actually bought BLDP on a tip from 70Boiler. Made a quick profit and got out (a little early apparently).
I've shared what else I'm buying or looking at closely. AGRX being one of those. VERU also potential for a big payday.

Reactions: SKYDOG and 70boiler
Hunkgolden,

Over the last few years, I've literally gone through every biotech stock in the NASDAQ, almost 650 stocks. Here's a good resource:
https://topforeignstocks.com/stock-lists/the-complete-list-of-biotech-stocks-trading-on-nasdaq/

I'm in no way, shape or form an expert. Plus, we're in a long term strong bull market so that helps.
I'm not an analyst, so I'm not reading annual reports or trying to decipher complex financial data, nor am I trying to assess the viability of a particular new drug, diagnostic or whatever.
In addition, most of these stocks are not long term investments (for that, I put my long term money in Fidelity and Vanguard funds). I'm essentially looking for homeruns or short term pops, riding the momentum that stock has shown over the last 12-24 months with the expectation that it will continue assuming no negative news (typically something from the FDA) is going to derail it. I do like micro-cap developmental stage oncology stocks because they have such big potential for a huge return.
But here's what I'm looking at:
1) Stock price (I like stocks <$20 and really looking for <$10)
2) I look at 12, 18, 24 months charts. I'm looking for consistent stock price growth (not really looking at stocks that have dropped and trying to catch the bottom).
3) From that initial 650, I write down about 100 that catch my initial interest. From that, take another look at the charts, and cut that down to about 20. Of those 20, I might do a little deeper dive and finally, I might put money into 5-7 of them.
I've won some and lost some (current losers include BDSI and GERN).
I've also found the conversations on this thread to be helpful and have actually bought BLDP on a tip from 70Boiler. Made a quick profit and got out (a little early apparently).
I've shared what else I'm buying or looking at closely. AGRX being one of those. VERU also potential for a big payday.
Good stuff! Thanks for sharing your insight and a peak into your methodology.

M51 said:

BoilermakerG said:

I’m curious as to what strategies some of you sage folks utilize in retirement? How much of your portfolio do you stay aggressive with or moderate with in retirement? Is there a time horizon that you utilize in protecting a portion of your investments from volatility...assuming those funds would be used in the near future for living expenses?[/quote]

The simple answer to question 2 depends on a person’s risk tolerance. Higher risk tolerance, higher percentage in equities. Lower risk tolerance, higher percentage in fixed assets.

The old rule of thumb or more conventional asset allocation is to have your age invested in fixed assets. Age 30 - 30% fixed and 70% equities. Since we are living longer, a newer approach is to subtract your age from 110 to determine a ballpark equity allocation. Using same 30 year old age, 110 - 30 = 80% in equities and 20% fixed. Age 50 would be 60% equities, 40% fixed. Use 120 for a more aggressive allocation. Other strategies can be found on the web.

Going back to one of my first posts in this thread, the earlier someone gets fixed asset allocation in place, becomes much easier to manage a proper asset balance. And fixed assets can be a counter balance to market down periods. Maintaining a proper balance will help to mitigate the volatility issue.

My overall asset allocation is about 68% equities and 32% fixed. Retirement accounts, IRA and ROTH is about 57% equities and 43% fixed. Equity percentage has increased the last 6-8 years, but I don’t do any rebalancing. Invested “new money” in the lower percentage asset class.

Retirement income stream - Social Security, monthly bond dividends, stock dividends, IRA distributions. Taking a small percentage in IRA distributions to have lower RMD later. Any “new money” or reinvestment goes toward individual stocks, equity funds and bond funds that I have in my non-retirement account.

Thanks for the response. I’ve never considered myself aggressive, but based on the rules of thumb above, I feel like I’m trending toward Aggressive at the wrong stage of life!

I have another one for you- it seems like a no brainer to forgo SS until the normal retirement date kicks in....am I missing anything in thinking it’s an automatic 26% “return” by delaying? I realize using my own funds for nearly a decade (rather than ss) potentially reduces the future value of my estate, but the bump in annual payouts would seem to trump that concern. How do you evaluate that from your perspective?

Any info on ABEO, biopharm chasing gene therapies?

Any info on ABEO, biopharm chasing gene therapies?

I looked at the chart, and for me personally, I just don't like the chart. It's not something I would buy into but that's strictly based on the chart.
On the other hand, if they were expecting an FDA decision on some novel therapy or in talks for licensing agreements with some big pharma, then I'd look a little deeper into it.

if I hadn't already been in and out, I'd be buying LUNA right now. Unfortunately, for me to get back in, I'm buying higher than when I sold (which I hate doing and on principle, usually don't do).
But, I love it's chart.

Reactions: 70boiler
I looked at the chart, and for me personally, I just don't like the chart. It's not something I would buy into but that's strictly based on the chart.
On the other hand, if they were expecting an FDA decision on some novel therapy or in talks for licensing agreements with some big pharma, then I'd look a little deeper into it.
I think ABEO current upswing revolves around some projections of a better earnings picture together with the entry to Phase 3 testing a week ago on a treatment modality. I certainly share the charting concerns which coupled with their December offering of 32m shares (although it has recently seen some rebound) has kept me on the sidelines to date.
I have also looked at both LUNA and CLVS on and off for a while but never quite got there on either.

I think ABEO current upswing revolves around some projections of a better earnings picture together with the entry to Phase 3 testing a week ago on a treatment modality. I certainly share the charting concerns which coupled with their December offering of 32m shares (although it has recently seen some rebound) has kept me on the sidelines to date.
I have also looked at both LUNA and CLVS on and off for a while but never quite got there on either.

I've looked at ABEO before, never bought.
AGRX making us look good.
VERU had positive news come out but it's taking a hit.
For anyone lurking, I love LUNA right now.

Btw, fwiw, related to our friend AGRX, and I suspect you may be aware of this, FDA is supposed to announce the approval/rejection of AGRX's proposed contraceptive Twirla which it previously rejected twice, last in 2017 (I think). The announcement was pushed from last November to Feb 16 with an acceptance being likely to lead to a decent bump.
EDIT - Pure crapshoot nature appealed to me so I upped stake.

Btw, fwiw, related to our friend AGRX, and I suspect you may be aware of this, FDA is supposed to announce the approval/rejection of AGRX's proposed contraceptive Twirla which it previously rejected twice, last in 2017 (I think). The announcement was pushed from last November to Feb 16 with an acceptance being likely to lead to a decent bump.
EDIT - Pure crapshoot nature appealed to me so I upped stake.

Yes, I was aware of the impending FDA decision. I believe that it had something like 14 out of 15 reviewers recommended approval. I believe the decision comes tomorrow. The stock is certainly acting like people know something but as they say "buy the rumor, sell the news"

Yes, I was aware of the impending FDA decision. I believe that it had something like 14 out of 15 reviewers recommended approval. I believe the decision comes tomorrow. The stock is certainly acting like people know something but as they say "buy the rumor, sell the news"
I think FDA set by 2/16 so today or tomorrow would seem likely.

M51 said:

BoilermakerG said:

Thanks for the response. I’ve never considered myself aggressive, but based on the rules of thumb above, I feel like I’m trending toward Aggressive at the wrong stage of life!

I have another one for you- it seems like a no brainer to forgo SS until the normal retirement date kicks in....am I missing anything in thinking it’s an automatic 26% “return” by delaying? I realize using my own funds for nearly a decade (rather than ss) potentially reduces the future value of my estate, but the bump in annual payouts would seem to trump that concern. How do you evaluate that from your perspective?[/QUOTE]

My thoughts on SSI...Since my wife passed at age 63, and neither she nor I drew anything from her fund, I'd advise you take it ASAP. You're getting less, but if you live a long time, you're getting it longer. If you die early as she did, you've gotten nothing for your investment.

As for retirement, I'm hanging it up this year...maybe June. I've talked a lot with my FA and accountant and I plan on keeping it just the way it is....balanced but hedging toward aggressive as I've always done. That has worked for me, but I've been able to go aggressive without worrying about what if's. Hope that helps.

I have another one for you- it seems like a no brainer to forgo SS until the normal retirement date kicks in....am I missing anything in thinking it’s an automatic 26% “return” by delaying? I realize using my own funds for nearly a decade (rather than ss) potentially reduces the future value of my estate, but the bump in annual payouts would seem to trump that concern. How do you evaluate that from your perspective?

My thoughts on SSI...Since my wife passed at age 63, and neither she nor I drew anything from her fund, I'd advise you take it ASAP. You're getting less, but if you live a long time, you're getting it longer. If you die early as she did, you've gotten nothing for your investment.

As for retirement, I'm hanging it up this year...maybe June. I've talked a lot with my FA and accountant and I plan on keeping it just the way it is....balanced but hedging toward aggressive as I've always done. That has worked for me, but I've been able to go aggressive without worrying about what if's. Hope that helps.
Congrats in advance on your retirement this summer!

Last edited:
“I have another one for you- it seems like a no brainer to forgo SS until the normal retirement date kicks in....am I missing anything in thinking it’s an automatic 26% “return” by delaying? I realize using my own funds for nearly a decade (rather than ss) potentially reduces the future value of my estate, but the bump in annual payouts would seem to trump that concern. How do you evaluate that from your perspective?”

If you take early SS benefits at 62, the monthly benefit would be about 75% of the full retirement age benefit. The SS website has all the actual percentage amounts from earliest possible month/year to latest month/year. ssa.gov

Search the web for pro/cons when to take SS benefits. Or get advice from a financial advisor. There are comments from previous posts in this thread about paying an advisor on hourly fee or as needed.

I took SS benefits before the full retirement age so my retirement investments could grow and compound before having to take required RMD’s.

Congrats on retiring!

Early 1900-30’s Indians and Harleys!
So do you have early Indian's and HD's? Right now, I'm actually into the following: .Early Japanese two strokes. Just sold a 1966 X6 Hustler. Looking for a Kawasaki 500...I've done three of the 750's. I've restored several Early Brit's...BSA/Triumph....and looking for 50's/60's Ducati's and MV Agustas. Getting ready to sell my MV that's one of 29 in the world

If I could find an old Indian at the right price, out of a barn or old shed that's sat for a few years, I'd love to have one...preferably the Indian or an Excellsior-Henderson.

So do you have early Indian's and HD's? Right now, I'm actually into the following: .Early Japanese two strokes. Just sold a 1966 X6 Hustler. Looking for a Kawasaki 500...I've done three of the 750's. I've restored several Early Brit's...BSA/Triumph....and looking for 50's/60's Ducati's and MV Agustas. Getting ready to sell my MV that's one of 29 in the world

If I could find an old Indian at the right price, out of a barn or old shed that's sat for a few years, I'd love to have one...preferably the Indian or an Excellsior-Henderson.
Wow! That is awesome!

No, not a motorcycle owner. Did have a Honda 550 in the 70's. Ho-hum.

Only knowledge about the early cycles and cars from watching American Pickers. Do know the Indian, Excellsior-Henderson, Harley's can have a huge price point.

Will have to look at the motorcycle my neighbor has out back. Prob a 70's something or another. Think it may be on my property, so do a repo!

Wow! That is awesome!

No, not a motorcycle owner. Did have a Honda 550 in the 70's. Ho-hum.

Only knowledge about the early cycles and cars from watching American Pickers. Do know the Indian, Excellsior-Henderson, Harley's can have a huge price point.

Will have to look at the motorcycle my neighbor has out back. Prob a 70's something or another. Think it may be on my property, so do a repo!
Check it out. Some of the early Jap stuff is going for big bucks. Here's a modified '75 500...they're asking $8K for it.

Take a pic of your neighbor's bike...I'd love to see what it is.
5e408495c3d75372bd6c5333.jpg

BoilermakerG said:

M51 said:

BoilermakerG said:

I have another one for you- it seems like a no brainer to forgo SS until the normal retirement date kicks in....am I missing anything in thinking it’s an automatic 26% “return” by delaying? I realize using my own funds for nearly a decade (rather than ss) potentially reduces the future value of my estate, but the bump in annual payouts would seem to trump that concern. How do you evaluate that from your perspective?[/QUOTE]

[/quote]
Thanks again for your insight- at my age, I don’t tent to factor in such things. I’ve always believed that learning from others (who have no vested interest) is the best way to make good, informed decisions. Congrats on your retirement! I grew up on a dairy farm...no one ever retired. And while that taught me to be a manager of money, it did not prepare me to take an reasonably early retirement and how best to manage the assets and income streams. I hope you are available for other questions in the future!

[/quote]
Thanks again for your insight- at my age, I don’t tent to factor in such things. I’ve always believed that learning from others (who have no vested interest) is the best way to make good, informed decisions. Congrats on your retirement! I grew up on a dairy farm...no one ever retired. And while that taught me to be a manager of money, it did not prepare me to take an reasonably early retirement and how best to manage the assets and income streams. I hope you are available for other questions in the future![/QUOTE]
I'll try to answer any questions that I can. I grew up on a grain/hog farm in Rush County and loved it. I have the option of buying five acres in the country with a small pond. Looking at doing that and building a small home and the place in SC. Perfect combo.

BoilermakerG said:

Thanks again for your insight- at my age, I don’t tent to factor in such things. I’ve always believed that learning from others (who have no vested interest) is the best way to make good, informed decisions. Congrats on your retirement! I grew up on a dairy farm...no one ever retired. And while that taught me to be a manager of money, it did not prepare me to take an reasonably early retirement and how best to manage the assets and income streams. I hope you are available for other questions in the future![/QUOTE]
I'll try to answer any questions that I can. I grew up on a grain/hog farm in Rush County and loved it. I have the option of buying five acres in the country with a small pond. Looking at doing that and building a small home and the place in SC. Perfect combo.
[/quote]
I’m not far from Rush county, currently. May have to buy your dinner some time. Your SC home comment is another question that I wasn’t really thinking about addressing, however...we are looking at something similar...to me, buying/building a vacation home always seemed to make the most sense, but on-line calculators invariably steer me to just renting. I assume it’s based on investment appreciation vs real estate appreciation. Your thoughts? (Thanks in advance- I know expressing an opinion is a danger zone, but I’m looking to learn, not debate)

First big bike I had was a 650 Norton that was a terrible beast to kick start. Rode the hell out of it. It had a125 mph speedometer that with a little gearing, rejetting and head cleaning would peg out (although I wouldn't swear to its accuracy). I do know it was faster than my, then a policeman, friend's 4 cylinder 750 Honda.
EDIT: Noticed that I had put 650, fwiw it was a 750

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT