ADVERTISEMENT

The time sink of internet discussion forums

gr8indoorsman

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
San Diego, CA
I want to share my thought process behind a switch in my "internet behavior" that I'm working on... it may not work, or it may, or it may result in me forgoing discussions on forums such as this, KHC, etc. in the future. I've spent a lot of time on the GD board over the years discussing and arguing with a lot of you, and I respect the opinions of most posters here. Thus, I feel like I owe it to you to let you in on why you're seeing "edited to avoid a pointless argument" and the like from me.

As most of you know, I usually try to stay level headed, but like many of us I fail too often and let emotions get the best of me. On a forum such as this and KHC, it's wasted energy.

(Before I go on, I'm going to call out individuals, and usually it's in jest and it's not meant to start a fight or an argument about the specific topic or person cited.)

Why?

Because we're just handles... to each other, we're idiots behind keyboards. GMM is a whackjob with three initials, and qazplm is a left-leaning Obama shill with a cutesy keyboard series handle. We're not people to each other. We've never met, thus there is nothing invested in the conversation, often except our own pride. Thus, we take a position and stick to it, hell or high water, because we don't truly respect the intelligence of the person behind the keyboard.

Over the years, I've come around to the point where there are some posters I can have civil arguments with, and even if those arguments aren't civil all the way through, I don't hold it against them, and we seem to move on to whatever the next inflammatory topic may be.

And that's just it: these boards become heated arguments that may last a few days or a week, and once they die down, we're just waiting for the next opportunity to argue about something. Points and concessions made in previous threads do nothing once that thread is over to change the perceptions of anyone involved, and it just becomes the same tired arguments over and over and over again.

Some examples (again, not intended to spark fights or anything, these are just ones off the top of my head):

- qaz and others argued in favor of Obamacare to the dismay of me and many other conservatives. I am still diametrically opposed to the idea of Obamacare and expansion of government, but the program seems to be popular with a small minority of the population (that is, those who it actually benefits - there are many other people who cheer the policy on because their "team" supports it or they think it is the way government should work). We argued for months about this... and guess what? The world hasn't ended. The economy isn't in the tank, and it probably won't be - not because of Obamacare - and like it or not, in some form it's going to be here for a long time.

That doesn't mean qaz et. al. are "right" per se, but even if they ARE, we conservatives are just waiting for the next inkling of a problem and we're going to jump all over it despite the facts that are right in front of our faces.

- buygreekbonds surmised that the german pilot was a Muslim and there was some conspiracy to bring it up. This was after he was proven repeatedly wrong about airline crashes caused by "jihad". Yet he continues to post the same tired crap, and doesn't acknowledge the fact that he's been wrong with almost every post on the subject he's made. He's just waiting for the next time to bring it up, hoping to get it right sometime.

- DanielJClark on KHC "knows for a fact" that AJ Hammons will not be back next year and Biggie isn't coming to Purdue. His sources which he won't ID are "inside" and told him this. He's about to be proven wrong about Hammons, and his prognostication about Biggie may be true, but almost certainly not with the certainty he's cited. Will he acknowledge that he was wrong and never post that stuff again? I seriously doubt it.

- qaz practically indicted the Ferguson cop on his own, but has yet to even acknowledge the fact that every single authority that has come back, including Justice, has exonerated Officer Wilson. Yet we'll undoubtedly have the same conversations over and over again about police violence.

To what end do we do this? For reasons cited above, the fact that we're not human on here and have no reason to respect each other's humanity, we're just going to keep doing this. We'll never really challenge our beliefs; instead we just look for the next opportunity to defend them.

We're wasting our time.

So, in an effort to glean some enjoyment out of KHC (specifically) and to a lesser extent this place, I'm making a concerted effort to emulate guys like CalBoiler, who never get involved in opinion battles. They offer theirs respectfully, people disagree, and if Cal offers a retort, it's with words like "I think" and done so respectfully and often no more than that one post. He never argues post after post after post. I'm sure he reads all the same stuff I do, but he doesn't have to respond to every poke or every dissenting opinion.

In short, he lets it go.

I'm making the effort to let stuff go on these boards. I apologize if I get short or blow off arguments, but I think it's what's best for my time.

I'd look forward to sharing a beer with qaz and some of the others, arguing politics or Purdue sports. I think we'd probably be a lot more civil, even in disagreement, in person than we are on here. Either that or we'd recognize that in the name of civility, we should shut up and watch the ball game and enjoy the evening.

Life is too short to worry about what gr8indoorsman's and TheCainer's opinion on police shootings is...

I miss the human interaction part, there are many on this board I would like to meet someday, if I agree or disagree, but I was young and at Purdue in an era well before message boards when you interacted face to face. I take most of this, aside from the true dipshits and those who seem to follow each post looking for a technical issue because they have some past message board grudge, I do get a little bit of a kick out of them, with less than a grain of salt.

to me guys like yourself, Cainer, qazplm, Beeazlebub... and many others I've missed as well as many from the past, have been fun to read because there is a realism in your posts, none of you are looking to be voted boards favorite poster, you don't regurgitate the cud of ideology.... That's the interesting part of these boards, but it's being overpowered by the uninteresting and boring.

That said the 2016 election season is fast approaching and this place will become a sad addiction, like Twinkies, or mystery novels.

I "fail" to "acknowledge" it because he wasn't "exonerated." The evidence was mixed and the process to indict or not indict was abused. And I said from the start I doubted he could be found guilty BRD. I did say he should have stood trial and I think he should have.

But that's rehashing old ground.

As for your larger point two thoughts:

1. I don't take anything seriously on the internet...at least not too seriously. Occasionally I get annoyed of course, but at the end of the day I'm responsible for my emotions particularly if I get angry because of what you rightly note are anonymous internet screen-names. So I don't see the need to let anything go. In the sense that I respond to what I want without worrying about it. Once I leave the keyboard I ain't thinking about khc or this board.

2. Having said that there are folks I respect and those I don't. I also think you are wrong that nothing changes. People move no matter how little. People who lurk might benefit from a link or evidence presented. And if nothing else, just seeing how an "opposite" thinks/argues can be beneficial. There is value in competing ideas, even if it seems like no one is moving.

So you can bow out, that's your right...and if you personally find this unrewarding then you should...but the biggest issue on khc is that there is no tolerance for disparate opinions. Either you are uber positive or you are considered a hater. No middle. Ironically this board is less toxic right now.
I think the solution is more opinions, not fewer.

I still think that around 25% of the posters here are made up. Illuminati (now greekbonds?) and even GMM I swear are just meant to troll us. If so, well done. I stopped posting awhile ago when I realized the sheer amount of time I was wasting on futile arguments. I do occasionally enjoy some of the discussion though but just don't have the time or energy to get pulled back in.

GI, respect your opinion. Wish you will still hang out and espouse your opinons and reasons behind it, time permitting of course. I participate in discussion boards like this because I genuinely want to understand the thought process underlying the beliefs of those whose view are different from mine. And perhaps they might get my perspective as well. Sadly, my close circle of friends don't include people that tend to be on the right end of the soci-political spectrum. Either way, good luck with everything.

And jeez what an internet attention-wh**re. Who announces they are leaving before taking off lol? j/k.

You hit the nail on the head. There is absolutely no reason to spend any time trying to moderate your opinions to be popular on an Internet message board. I agree with you too about the folks with a grudge who follow posters around with technical issues.

I actually think the 2016 election is going to be fairly predictable and somewhat uneventful.

Originally posted by Smada2001:
I still think that around 25% of the posters here are made up. Illuminati (now greekbonds?) and even GMM I swear are just meant to troll us.
I have to agree. Sometimes, I read GMM and I am like, this guy can't be serious right. He def must be trolling us.

I dunno...maybe but it feels to me like its going to quickly come down to walker and bush to me.

GMM is definitely for real no one could troll as long as he's been here.
.buygreekbonds on the other hand, I dunno.

I agree Bush and Walker. I just want to hear Cruz and Paul go after one another and create some quality SNL skits.

-As far as letting it go, never got to really riled up over anything here. It is let go as soon as I turn off the computer or switch websites so not sure I can relate.

-As for me, in some instances, while I may or may not agree with another's opinion or point of view on a subject, in some instances I have changed my opinion, gained some knowledge, or see how a minority or person that is dedicated to a political party views topics. That to me is a benefit.

-As for taking things personally and name handles, well for me if anyone here ever said they were going to be at a Purdue football game or basketball game and I was in the area, would be more than glad to grab a beer/lunch/tailgate a little and we could shoot the bull for awhile.

This post was edited on 4/10 1:39 AM by Purdue97

I will say, you said what I tried to say in a much more eloquent fashion.

I think there are trollers here meant to generate traffic, but I think they come up and disappear more in political season. Maybe August through November of election years.

I seem to remember some handles appearing and disappearing around that time.

Ok, as soon as I type this I forget where I read or heard it but the Republican that is polling the best versus Hillary right now is Rand. I think he was ahead in Colorado, IA, and one otherr state that I cannot remember.

no way Rand wins the nomination

He's conservative enough in some areas, but not nearly enough in others, particularly on foreign policy.

What you'll see in response to your post is that some people just love to argue, period.

I won't, not this time, because you raise some good points.

When faced with your dilemma in the past, during busy times, I've followed the mantra "read but don't post." It turns out that posting takes a whole lot more time than reading.

It really does help to meet. I frequent another board where similar arguments rage, but I have met several of the participants. It makes the online dialogue better.

You've hit the nail on the head. I would estimate I've met at least 40-50 current and former GBI posters, several of whom have become good friends. In fact, I've been to a wedding, 2-3 house parties and spent several evenings bar-hopping with guys I met through KHC. Heck, even my wife has met a few of the guys. Just to mention a few, I've met GD regulars like db, Noodle, BoilersRock and you. It definitely changes the dynamic. I still communicate regularly with a handful of guys but it's become very difficult to get together since my family and I moved to Switzerland almost two years ago. The demands on our time when we make our trips to the U.S. limits getting together.
I'm usually very respectful of other posters with whom I disagree perhaps because I know from meeting others that they are real people. There are obvious exceptions.

Re: no way Rand wins the nomination

None of them is a sure-fire guy IMO, but there almost never is on either side. I preferred Obama over Hillary, but now I'm not so sure about that. The GOP race... gosh I don't know. Not a fan of Cruz or Christie. I like certain things about Rand Paul and Scott Walker. I don't know enough about Bush. I wish Mitch Daniels would run...

Clinton

is about as sure-fire as you get on the Dem side. The republican's last sure-fire guy?

Hmmmm...Maybe GW? I don't really think anyone else was a credible challenger to him in the Republican primaries.

Before that, i thought Kerry sewed it up pretty quickly...Gore definitely was the sure-fire guy in 2000.

Re: Clinton

It's interesting because the Dems are usually the party of the fresh faces and new ideas/views. This time around it's totally opposite. It's the progressive establishment, of which Obama is a part (even though he was a fresh face), the "Clintonians" vs. an entire gamut of folks from the right from a couple of more moderate "weird guys" to the right-wing whack jobs.

Originally posted by gr8indoorsman:

- buygreekbonds surmised that the german pilot was a Muslim and there was some conspiracy to bring it up. This was after he was proven repeatedly wrong about airline crashes caused by "jihad". Yet he continues to post the same tired crap, and doesn't acknowledge the fact that he's been wrong with almost every post on the subject he's made. He's just waiting for the next time to bring it up, hoping to get it right sometime.
Gr8, perhaps the foremost problem here is your propensity to distort and vilify what others have written when it doesn't comply with your agenda. Your current essay provides a couple of examples. You wrote:"This was after he was proven repeatedly wrong about airline crashes caused by "jihad". "

I have made posts about Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 (the one that disappeared) and Air Asia Flight QZ8501. The cause of neither crash is known but authorities have determined that the flight changes in the 370 route could not have been done without pilot intervention. Quoting verbatim from the link that follows: "U.S. intelligence officials are leaning toward the theory that "those in the cockpit" -- the captain and co-pilot -- were responsible for the mysterious disappearance, a U.S. official with direct knowledge of the latest thinking told CNN."

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/ 03/16/world/asia/malaysia- airlines-plane/index.html?hpt= hp_inthenews
As for 8501, the black boxes were recovered but the Malaysian government flatly refuses to provide a full transcript of the cockpit voice recorder: "Investigators hope to finish a preliminary report on the crash early next week. The full report could take up to a year, but will not include the entire cockpit voice transcript.

"In Indonesia it remains undisclosed," said Tatang Kurniadi, chief of the NTSC. "Just some important highlights will be included in the report."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ news/worldnews/asia/indonesia/ 11354785/AirAsia-QZ8501-black- box-cockpit-recordings-no- evidence-of-terrorism-or- explosion.html

So how am I "proven repeatedly wrong"? What is the proof that either or both of these flights was not caused by pilot jihad?

Also be aware that the crash of EgyptAir Flight 990 was almost certainly pilot jihad. Here's the transcript from the cockpit voice recorder:

HOY-2A in the name of God, the Merciful, the Compassionate. Cabin crew takeoff position. may God make the seven six prosperous, Captain Habashi. Tomorrow, we'll have a hard time up there. let us be, "Uncle Haj".
0138:56 CAM-1a why, "Uncle", by God?
0138:58 HOT-2a very sweet, may our Lord make it prosperous. sweet, sweet.
0139:00 CAM-1a have we ever shorted you? [sound of laughter]
0139:01 HOT-2a that's why I'm saying to you, sir, may our Lord make it prosperous, but we'll have a hard time...
0148:03 CAM-1a excuse me, Jimmy, while I take a quick trip to the toilet...
0148:39.92 CAM-2b I rely on God. [heard faintly]
0148:49.30 CAM [sound of thump]
0148:53.10 CAM [sound of faint, muffled thump]
0148:56.31 CAM [sound of thump]
0148:57.93 CAM [series of thumps and clicks starts and continues for approximately seventeen seconds]
0149:18.30 CAM [sound of light thump]
0149:30.16 CAM [sound of two faint thumps and one louder thump]
0149:47.54 CAM [sound of two clicks and two thumps]
0149:48.42 CAM-2b I rely on God.
0149:53.32 CAM [one loud thump and three faint thumps]
0149:57.33 CAM-2b I rely on God.
0149:58.75 CAM-2b I rely on God.
0149:58.78 CAM [four tones similar to Master Caution aural beeper]
0150:00.15 CAM-2b I rely on God.
0150:01.60 CAM-2b I rely on God.
0150:02.93 CAM-2b I rely on God.
0150:04.42 CAM-2b I rely on God.
0150:04.72 CAM [sound of loud thump]
0150:05.89 CAM-2b I rely on God.
0150:06.37 CAM-1a what's happening? what's happening?
0150:07.07 CAM-2b I rely on God.
0150:07.11 CAM [sound of numerous thumps and clinks continue for approximately fifteen seconds]
0150:08.20 CAM [repeating hi-low tone similar to Master Warning aural starts and continues to the end of recording]
0150:08.48 CAM-2b I rely on God.
0150:08.53 CAM-1a what's happening?
0150:15.15 CAM-1a what's happening, Gamil? what's happening?
0150:24.92 CAM-1a what is this? what is this? did you shut the engine(s)?
0150:25.00 HOT2 [change and increase in sound, heard only through first officer's hot microphone system]
0150:26.55 CAM-1a get away in the engines. [translated as said]
0150:28.85 CAM-1a shut the engines.
0150:29.66 CAM-2b it's shut.
0150:31.25 CAM-1a pull.
0150:32.75 CAM-1a pull with me.
0150:36.84 CAM-1a pull with me.
0150:38.47 END OF RECORDING END OF TRANSCRIPT

I want to share my thought process behind a switch in my "internet behavior" that I'm working on... it may not work, or it may, or it may result in me forgoing discussions on forums such as this, KHC, etc. in the future. I've spent a lot of time on the GD board over the years discussing and arguing with a lot of you, and I respect the opinions of most posters here. Thus, I feel like I owe it to you to let you in on why you're seeing "edited to avoid a pointless argument" and the like from me.

As most of you know, I usually try to stay level headed, but like many of us I fail too often and let emotions get the best of me. On a forum such as this and KHC, it's wasted energy.

(Before I go on, I'm going to call out individuals, and usually it's in jest and it's not meant to start a fight or an argument about the specific topic or person cited.)

Why?

Because we're just handles... to each other, we're idiots behind keyboards. GMM is a whackjob with three initials, and qazplm is a left-leaning Obama shill with a cutesy keyboard series handle. We're not people to each other. We've never met, thus there is nothing invested in the conversation, often except our own pride. Thus, we take a position and stick to it, hell or high water, because we don't truly respect the intelligence of the person behind the keyboard.

Over the years, I've come around to the point where there are some posters I can have civil arguments with, and even if those arguments aren't civil all the way through, I don't hold it against them, and we seem to move on to whatever the next inflammatory topic may be.

And that's just it: these boards become heated arguments that may last a few days or a week, and once they die down, we're just waiting for the next opportunity to argue about something. Points and concessions made in previous threads do nothing once that thread is over to change the perceptions of anyone involved, and it just becomes the same tired arguments over and over and over again.

Some examples (again, not intended to spark fights or anything, these are just ones off the top of my head):

- qaz and others argued in favor of Obamacare to the dismay of me and many other conservatives. I am still diametrically opposed to the idea of Obamacare and expansion of government, but the program seems to be popular with a small minority of the population (that is, those who it actually benefits - there are many other people who cheer the policy on because their "team" supports it or they think it is the way government should work). We argued for months about this... and guess what? The world hasn't ended. The economy isn't in the tank, and it probably won't be - not because of Obamacare - and like it or not, in some form it's going to be here for a long time.

That doesn't mean qaz et. al. are "right" per se, but even if they ARE, we conservatives are just waiting for the next inkling of a problem and we're going to jump all over it despite the facts that are right in front of our faces.

- DanielJClark on KHC "knows for a fact" that AJ Hammons will not be back next year and Biggie isn't coming to Purdue. His sources which he won't ID are "inside" and told him this. He's about to be proven wrong about Hammons, and his prognostication about Biggie may be true, but almost certainly not with the certainty he's cited. Will he acknowledge that he was wrong and never post that stuff again? I seriously doubt it.

- qaz practically indicted the Ferguson cop on his own, but has yet to even acknowledge the fact that every single authority that has come back, including Justice, has exonerated Officer Wilson. Yet we'll undoubtedly have the same conversations over and over again about police violence.

To what end do we do this? For reasons cited above, the fact that we're not human on here and have no reason to respect each other's humanity, we're just going to keep doing this. We'll never really challenge our beliefs; instead we just look for the next opportunity to defend them.

We're wasting our time.

So, in an effort to glean some enjoyment out of KHC (specifically) and to a lesser extent this place, I'm making a concerted effort to emulate guys like CalBoiler, who never get involved in opinion battles. They offer theirs respectfully, people disagree, and if Cal offers a retort, it's with words like "I think" and done so respectfully and often no more than that one post. He never argues post after post after post. I'm sure he reads all the same stuff I do, but he doesn't have to respond to every poke or every dissenting opinion.

In short, he lets it go.

I'm making the effort to let stuff go on these boards. I apologize if I get short or blow off arguments, but I think it's what's best for my time.

I'd look forward to sharing a beer with qaz and some of the others, arguing politics or Purdue sports. I think we'd probably be a lot more civil, even in disagreement, in person than we are on here. Either that or we'd recognize that in the name of civility, we should shut up and watch the ball game and enjoy the evening.

Life is too short to worry about what gr8indoorsman's and TheCainer's opinion on police shootings is...
I've really backed off on my time on here, mostly because some people are just kind of obnoxious (and it's not limited to just one side). After a while (over a decade for me, I guess), having people oppose others just for the sake of it gets tiring. While I fall pretty far to the left, I have found our GD liberal bloc to be just as annoying as the extreme on our conservative bloc. It's gotten to the point where some people just oppose certain posters, regardless of what they post.

Then we have the conspiracy nuts, who are in their own world . . . and I read them just to see what they have to say. Every once in a while, something interesting comes out of them. However, whatever constructive post is usually followed up by something insane (GMM is a perfect example of this). Anyway, I have posters on here that I genuinely like (gr8, Noodle, BoilersRock, pastorjoe, and others), but I've gotten tired of battling with the extremes. I still read, but I've cut back. I'll probably wind up jumping back when something is really interesting.

tl;dr: eh, whatever.

Originally posted by buygreekbonds:

Gr8, perhaps the foremost problem here is your propensity to distort and vilify what others have written when it doesn't comply with your agenda. Your current essay provides a couple of examples. You wrote:"This was after he was proven repeatedly wrong about airline crashes caused by "jihad". "

You totally missed the point of this post. It wasn't about you, and yet in your response you hammer home exactly why I won't be engaging nearly as much: you're wrong, you've been proven repeatedly wrong, yet you'll find one example of where some shred of what you think may possibly harbor an inkling of validity, and that will summarily dismiss any possibility that you ever were wrong or will be wrong in the future. Arguing with people like you is a complete and utter waste of my time, so I won't be doing it anymore. THAT was the point of my post.

Thank you for the reinforcement.
This post was edited on 4/13 3:25 PM by gr8indoorsman

I have not been "proven" wrong except within your Orwellian doublethink mind. You are in denial about any evidence that does not conform to your predetermined opinions. Gr8, you really cannot discern facts from your daydreams.

How'd that german pilot thing work out?
Posted from Rivals Mobile
You refuse to acknowledge reality. 990 and 370 and 8501 were flown by moslem pilots and it is quite possible that all three went down by pilot jihad. They went after their houri of 72 virgins. That is the mind rot of Islam.

Regarding the Germanwings co-pilot, what was his religion? The authorities have made public every detail of his medical history, where he lived, his girlfriend, but not his religion. So you tell us, what faith was he?

You are like that Ancient Aliens guy

it's always aliens, unless there is definitive proof that it isn't aliens...and even then, it's aliens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT