ADVERTISEMENT

Teams Win, Teams Lose

mathboy

All-American
Feb 4, 2004
Michigan
Teams win or lose as a "Team". Individual plays make up the game, but the reality is that this loss has to hang on the team as a whole, including the coachjing staff. Attempting to single out this player or that coach is a logical error. In a one-point over-time loss, singling out a unique cause is almost a rediculous exercise.

There were a hundred things that could have been done differently that might have won lost night's game for us. You also have to give credit to the excellent play of the Cincy team. I don't think they "wanted it more", since both teams were playing hard and scrambling for the win. No, it is why they play the game. The ball bounced in for Cincy and out for us last night.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read some posts on this list that display either gross ignorance of the game of basketball, or they are true trolls attempting o draw attention to their outlandish posts. I do recommend ignoring any post that says we should blam/firee Painter, AJ, Stephens, Mathias, etc. No sense pushing them back to the top. (I hope I can follow my own advice).

There are certain posters that only post after a loss. They usually have something ugly to say about the program. You know who you are. I recommend you leave the free board before you get embarrassed.

cool.r191677.gif

I agree we shouldn't single out any player/coach as the sole cause of a loss, or call for their firings. But I do think it is legitimate to say something like "that game exposed such and such a weakness with so and so" or "that reflected a negative aspect of so and so's game that needs to be corrected." In other words, there is such thing as legitimate criticism.

Originally posted by depthcharge623:
I agree we shouldn't single out any player/coach as the sole cause of a loss, or call for their firings. But I do think it is legitimate to say something like "that game exposed such and such a weakness with so and so" or "that reflected a negative aspect of so and so's game that needs to be corrected." In other words, there is such thing as legitimate criticism.
And you are not wrong. It's how the criticism is delivered more than anything else. There clearly is a lot that needs to be worked on.

You got that right, expect nothing and you won't be disappointed.

Originally posted by NCBoiler06:
Purdue Sports: Lower your expectations and raise your glasses.

Sorry, but I will choose to raise both my glasses and my expectations... with the full expectation that I risk some disappointments. I would rather be the half-full glass guy than the half-empty guy.

There are so many other more important things to be concerned about, or for that matter, be happy about, than Purdue basketball. It is not worth metering out my expectations so carefully. I can find the emotional resources to enthusiastically support this team without resorting to sinicism.

cool.r191677.gif

This was a HUGE learning experience for our "young" team. As sad and disappointed as I am that this season is over, I cannot wait to see how this all unfolds next year. Yes we lose Octeus, but hopefully Thompson and Scott learned from his toughness and his leadership. With RD gaining a jump shot and Stephens(he has got to figure it out) and Mathias and our bigs, we should be a deadly team next year. Boiler up!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT