ADVERTISEMENT

Sing it Drew!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is disgusting and shows that many of you have no understanding of systemic racism or what Kap was even protesting.

Regarding systemic racism, you say to stand up for the troops. That we should honor our vets. Then why not bring light to the issue of redlining. How black WW2 veterans were denied guaranteed mortgage loans from the GI bill, while white WW2 veterans were able to use that bill to widen the wealth gap. How in states like NY/NJ, of the 67,000 mortgages issued by the GI bill, only 100 went to those veterans that were non-white. How the statistics were even worse in the midwest and down south. How black WW2 veterans were denied the educational benefits of the GI bill and instead pushed to apply for vocational trading, widening the education and wealth gap.

Kap was expressing his 1st amendment right in a peaceful way to protest police brutality, which we have seen time and time again in these protests. You all want to focus on looting, but ignore Betsy DeVos looting our public school systems. I get it - she's white and wealthy, so the looting she is doing daily doesn't count. You ignore the looting best known as wage theft... probably because it disproportionately impacts our minority populations. You'd rather focus on the looting of $500 TVs from target.

Honor our vets, my ass. You want to honor our white vets. You could give two shits about our black and brown vets. Stop lying to yourselves. I love Drew Brees and think he's done a lot of great things, but he's wrong here, just as he was wrong when he pushed that pyramid scheme that got fined $150 million last year.

what's disgusting is an intolerance to another's point of view... one that doesn't share a world view.

I think it’s more than just the killings.

It’s the being followed around in stores.

It’s the people walking to the other side of the street when they see you coming.

It’s the “you speak like a white person” comments.

It’s the “you’re smarter than I thought you were” comments.

It’s when your grandpa - a proud Purdue alum - tells you “not to bring home a black woman, because you don’t want any of those mixed kids.”

It’s when your family member refers to a former Kentucky b-ball player as a “good looking black man.”

It’s when your family is parking at the Northwestern vs Purdue basketball game, and two black guys are helping you park, and when they do a less than stellar job, your family member says, “well, look who parked us?”

I can’t stand the far-left mob either, and there are undoubtedly some selfish, bad-actors with an agenda on that side, but let’s do our best to take sides out of it.

Just try really listening and using some empathy for once.

Stop worrying so much about being “right”/correct and your thinly veiled ego/identity.

In a country with 330 million people of which about 290 million are not black, you're going to have a ton of people who's vast majority of experience with black people is not interpersonal, or at least very, very casual and not relationship building. Some of what people know of black people is only what they see on TV, in sports, entertainment, politics, etc, and that's how they form their views and develop opinions. It can be polarizing. Trust me, I have relatives similar to yours who make comments and say things that are very racist. But, they also grew up in a time of segregation and have had their views ingrained for a long time. They don't suddenly become "woke".
As for my having empathy, since you don't know my personal experience and background, it's hard for you to know what I do and don't empathize with.

I know Purdue University alumni skew on the more conservative political spectrum (and Indiana should essentially be considered part of America's southern states). However, some of these comments regarding a lack of statistics about police killings/brutality against African Americans is just uninformed. I guess if you keep repeating these falsehoods, you will convince your like-minded friends that it is true. But any reasonable person who knows the history of this country around the issue of racism and state-sponsored bias isn't buying what some of you are selling on this thread.

So prove it wrong with data, facts and statistics. Your opinion, like mine, is just that. An opinion.
Does racism exist? Of course it does. But is that the biggest problem facing the AA community?

I know Purdue University alumni skew on the more conservative political spectrum (and Indiana should essentially be considered part of America's southern states). However, some of these comments regarding a lack of statistics about police killings/brutality against African Americans is just uninformed. I guess if you keep repeating these falsehoods, you will convince your like-minded friends that it is true. But any reasonable person who knows the history of this country around the issue of racism and state-sponsored bias isn't buying what some of you are selling on this thread.
Backup this statement with facts. Making a simple statement like “you’re wrong” with no data to back it up is meaningless. Use data to prove police are killing black men unjustly and not paying the price for it.

Reactions: indyogb
In a country with 330 million people of which about 290 million are not black, you're going to have a ton of people who's vast majority of experience with black people is not interpersonal, or at least very, very casual and not relationship building. Some of what people know of black people is only what they see on TV, in sports, entertainment, politics, etc, and that's how they form their views and develop opinions. It can be polarizing. Trust me, I have relatives similar to yours who make comments and say things that are very racist. But, they also grew up in a time of segregation and have had their views ingrained for a long time. They don't suddenly become "woke".
As for my having empathy, since you don't know my personal experience and background, it's hard for you to know what I do and don't empathize with.

While there are a few points we could debate, overall I would say, "well stated."

It's not just the whites. I've witnessed blacks demeaning other blacks for trying to be "too white." (Seeking an education, their vocabulary, having white friends, choosing to live in a specific area, etc.)

Racism isn't limited to one race. Or one political party.

This thread is disgusting and shows that many of you have no understanding of systemic racism or what Kap was even protesting.

Regarding systemic racism, you say to stand up for the troops. That we should honor our vets. Then why not bring light to the issue of redlining. How black WW2 veterans were denied guaranteed mortgage loans from the GI bill, while white WW2 veterans were able to use that bill to widen the wealth gap. How in states like NY/NJ, of the 67,000 mortgages issued by the GI bill, only 100 went to those veterans that were non-white. How the statistics were even worse in the midwest and down south. How black WW2 veterans were denied the educational benefits of the GI bill and instead pushed to apply for vocational trading, widening the education and wealth gap.

Kap was expressing his 1st amendment right in a peaceful way to protest police brutality, which we have seen time and time again in these protests. You all want to focus on looting, but ignore Betsy DeVos looting our public school systems. I get it - she's white and wealthy, so the looting she is doing daily doesn't count. You ignore the looting best known as wage theft... probably because it disproportionately impacts our minority populations. You'd rather focus on the looting of $500 TVs from target.

Honor our vets, my ass. You want to honor our white vets. You could give two shits about our black and brown vets. Stop lying to yourselves. I love Drew Brees and think he's done a lot of great things, but he's wrong here, just as he was wrong when he pushed that pyramid scheme that got fined $150 million last year.
You are talking about something that happened 65 years ago. 65 years ago America was more racist and unjust than it is today. There was systematic racism back then. 2020 is not 1950. Racism dies more and more with each generation.

Backup this statement with facts. Making a simple statement like “you’re wrong” with no data to back it up is meaningless. Use data to prove police are killing black men unjustly and not paying the price for it.

yeah... here's where the rubber meets the road.

I think there are people (of varying races) killed unjustly. This has become an emotional (and political) topic for too many to objectively evaluate.

There are "bad cops" (not corrupt, just bad at their profession) just like bad teachers, bad accountants, bad doctors, etc. For the "regular cop", I don't think we have an effective way of weeding out the bad and rewarding the good. (Probably a similar conversation about teachers, but one traumatic topic at a time!)

Until that happens, I doubt we will have substantially improved the situation for all people.

While there are a few points we could debate, overall I would say, "well stated."

It's not just the whites. I've witnessed blacks demeaning other blacks for trying to be "too white." (Seeking an education, their vocabulary, having white friends, choosing to live in a specific area, etc.)

Racism isn't limited to one race. Or one political party.

While we're on our soap boxes, I would also add, the your likelihood of being engaged by LEO, regardless of your color, is largely based on your behavior, actions and decisions.
Do people get pulled over for no reason? Sometimes.
Do people get questioned for no reason? Sometimes.
But more often than not (in fact, a majority of the time) LE gets involved because someone is doing something they shouldn't be doing.
Unless you're claiming that racism makes people break the law?
I'd say it's more due to poor decisionmaking, immoral and unethical behavior and simply deciding to do wrong instead of right. Again, regardless of your skin tint.

If you can't see how the past impacts today, then you are part of the problem.

This is a serious question and not just being inflammatory, but how would you describe the experience of immigrants (Jews, Hispanics, Indian, etc) in terms of the challenges they faced between the 50's and 80's when they came to the US compared to black US citizens?
Were they discriminated against?
Did they experience racism?

Reactions: indyogb and NG.q15
Yes, racism and discrimination continue to be the biggest issues facing the African American community. If you eliminated those challenges and created a true meritocracy with respect to policing, education, economic opportunities, housing, etc. AAs have proven they can compete with any other group. That has not happened yet in most categories -- although one can argue that the playing field is equitable in sports and entertainment. The current issues facing American cities bear out the notion that (as the "esteemed" Fox News host Laura Ingraham) stated: "Shut Up and Dribble" is not going to be enough moving forward.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Yes, racism and discrimination continue to be the biggest issues facing the African American community. If you eliminated those challenges and created a true meritocracy with respect to policing, education, economic opportunities, housing, etc. AAs have proven they can compete with any other group. That has not happened yet in most categories -- although one can argue that the playing field is equitable in sports and entertainment. The current issues facing American cities bear out the notion that (as the "esteemed" Fox News host Laura Ingraham) stated: "Shut Up and Dribble" is not going to be enough moving forward.

What issues with education, economic opportunities and housing are racism related and prevent AAs from succeeding?
Do you think the fact that 70+% of black children are born to single mom's has anything to do with anything?

Reactions: PurduePete98
You are talking about something that happened 65 years ago. 65 years ago America was more racist and unjust than it is today. There was systematic racism back then. 2020 is not 1950. Racism dies more and more with each generation.
Your statement proves that you guys just don’t get it. Your statement is easy to say when you don’t live in the black community.

For the folks in this thread that has been throwing out statistics. Here is an article of a study done by the University of Michigan. It states that police brutality is the 6th leading cause of death among blacks.
https://news.umich.edu/police-sixth-leading-cause-of-death-for-young-black-men/

Reactions: LionBulldog83
Bonefish,
Your "take" on this issue just confirms what I have said to my friends recently. Until folks stop relying on falsehoods (I.e. 70% of AA families are led by mothers), we will never move forward in this country. As someone asked me earlier to provide "facts and statistics" to support my views, where did you come up with this BS? Fox News?

Reactions: Bears1980
Honor our vets, my ass. You want to honor our white vets. You could give two shits about our black and brown vets. Stop lying to yourselves.
Bullshit. You know nothing of how any of us feel and your post here is exactly why we are having the problems we are today and only will serve to fan the flames and is flat our embarrassing.

When I honor the vets I honor all of them no matter their skin color or background. No exceptions.

Your post is nothing but self-serving bullshit and is flat our disgraceful as you try and lump us in to a realm of thought without knowing any of us personally.

Bonefish,
Your "take" on this issue just confirms what I have said to my friends recently. Until folks stop relying on falsehoods (I.e. 70% of AA families are led by mothers), we will never move forward in this country. As someone asked me earlier to provide "facts and statistics" to support my views, where did you come up with this BS? Fox News?
You think the statistics on single parent families among AA families are false? Have you seriously never seen these statistics? Wow if so.

Last edited:
This has gotten completely out of hand. People/left winged media are trying to make it seem like thousands of African Americans are killed by the police each year. It’s simply not the case.

In 2019 10 unarmed African Americans were killed by police.

- 5 of these incidents, the AA attacked the officer prior to being shot. They were not charged.
- in 1 incident, an officer and AA were struggling with each other and the gun was discharged in the struggle killing the AA. The officer was not charged.
- in 2 of the cases, the cops were charged with manslaughter.
- in the final two cases there is more of a gray area due to no witnesses where the cop claims he/she was attacked prior to shooting. Without any evidence one way or the other, the officers were not charged.

Again, that’s a total of 10 Unarmed AA deaths by police in 2019.

Beat me to it. Unarmed blacks being killed by police has been on the decline for a few years now. Rightfully so.

Reactions: PurduePete98

This is just mindless dribble. I've served with all kinds and religions. Also, I learned about the contributions of the Tuskegee Airmen while in Army Aviation. Those are men who truly experienced oppression, but yet still wanted to serve this great country. They took pride in what they did.

As I understand, you are referring to past injustices regarding the GI Bill. Correct me if I'm not understanding what you are referring to. MANY benefits are not available to veterans, regardless of race because of the era when they served. My father, for example, is unable to use many of the benefits I could enjoy today.

Anyway, can anyone explain what institutional racism exists today? The media tells me there is, and I've met some racists too. But I have zero racist friends or family, and not seen any institutions representative of racism.

I do know this: the more you say something is a problem, the more it is a problem. This reaction is similar to recent events. Demand justice without giving justice a chance to happen. I'm glad in this recent event that the cop was charged. I think justice will be served, regardless of protesting.

Reactions: Level 42

Can you share the data that lead you to these conclusions? I’d like to see it.

Bonefish,

Ha ha. You think I just make up data and statistics?
Let's see your sources to refute these statistics and facts.

As a stats professor once said: "The data is what the data is."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/77-black-births-to-single-moms-49-for-hispanic-immigrants

https://www.childtrends.org/publica...panics-and-women-with-higher-education-levels

https://www.politifact.com/factchec...on-lemon-says-more-72-percent-african-americ/

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/39993685/...ggle-percent-unwed-mothers-rate/#.Xtj89ERKipo

Bullshit. You know nothing of how any of us feel and your post here is exactly why we are having the problems we are today and only will serve to fan the flames and is flat our embarrassing.

When I honor the vets I honor all of them no matter their skin color or background. No exceptions.

Your post is nothing but self-serving bullshit and is flat our disgraceful as you try and lump us in to a realm of thought without knowing any of us personally.

Self-serving bullshit how?

This board goes on and on about how kneeling is disrespectful to our veterans. How about addressing the actual issues that impact our veterans instead of worrying about the symbol that is our flag. It's disgusting how many here think they can just say to our vets "thank you for your service" so they can pat themselves on the back for being pro-military. Screw that, you are being pro-military complex and ignoring the systemic issues that truly impact our veterans... and disproportionately impact our veterans of color.

A good portion of this board thinks what they see on Fox News is the world's view. It's pathetic.

You don't refute what I said earlier because history has shown it is true. The GI bill played a huge role in systemic racism that still hurts our black and brown communities today. Using the flag to honor our veterans is cheap and meaningless. If we want to honor them, let's spend less money on the military complex and more money addressing their needs. Let us right the wrongs that still ravage black and brown veteran families today.

If you want to have a educated conversation about this topic...this is not the board. That much is clear.

Fact is many athletes condemned what Drew said....including many Purdue athletes. What he should have done is what we all should do....LISTEN.
I think we've all done plenty of listening. It would appear that some aren't willing to look at factual statistics and would rather everyone ignore the facts and base their conclusions on emotion.

What issues with education, economic opportunities and housing are racism related and prevent AAs from succeeding?
Do you think the fact that 70+% of black children are born to single mom's has anything to do with anything?
Public schools are funded by local taxes. In minority neighborhoods that means less money for school supplies, books, teachers etc. This leads to less educational opportunities which sadly leads to crime. The crime leads to single mothers raising children. They are all interlocked. Studies show that young children who haven’t been read to or taught to read prior to attending school, struggle in keeping up with the average student. Knowing that Jim Crow was just two generations ago, many minorities are raised by grandparents and parents who also struggled in school and/or were systematically isolated from a good education. This is part of a cycle that passes on from generation to generation.
You mention 70% of AA are raised by a single mom which of course brings up the inequality in incarnated minorities versus their percentage of the population. While it is not racist to arrest a criminal, we need to be aware of why many of these men of minority status end up becoming criminals and it does relate to the lack of adequate education as well as the lack of educated adults in the household as they grow up.

Children learn by example and studied do show that having a parent or grandparent in the home who cannot read or has less than an adequate educational background does affect young children throughout their education. Add in the less money, books, teachers, and other resources, we can see that we still have a problem. Many minority schools are in situations where they can’t find solid teachers. They also don’t have simple things you find in other schools such as higher level math books, STEM classes, AP and Honors classes and the list goes on and on.

I don’t know the answer but today’s minorities are still paying the price of past racism. The most worrisome statistics to me is that over 50% of kindergarten students right now I’m America belong to a minority group. That does not bode well for our future as all of our lives are interconnected and having over half of the population facing less than adequate education could be quite a blow to our global status in the future.

Your other “opportunities” listed are all connected to inadequate education. It’s a bit like putting 15 lb weights on a runners legs before a race and then asking them why they can’t keep up with the other runners.

Just my $.02.

Perhaps we could look at the systemic issues that have led to many black children being raised by single moms, starting with our criminal justice system. But of course, that wouldn't fit your narrative, and it might expose while you pearl-clutch those statistics, you're missing the big picture.

Reactions: LionBulldog83

Yes, totally agreed. No human is perfect - we are inherently flawed beings.

Shaming people is not the way to incite meaningful change. That only hardens people in this beliefs.

Cheers!

Perhaps we could look at the systemic issues that have led to many black children being raised by single moms, starting with our criminal justice system. But of course, that wouldn't fit your narrative, and it might expose while you pearl-clutch those statistics, you're missing the big picture.

Sorry buddy, but it starts way before that. The 70+% isn't because the husbands (not fathers, that's different) are being jailed.
It's a cultural phenomenon that needs to be tackled head on from the inside by black leaders and influential AAs who have the guts to call it out. It says "Having children as a teen or unmarried woman is wrong. It will negatively impact you and your children for the rest of your life in everything: financially, educationally, etc, etc. The statistics prove that. Period. End of story."
Unfortunately, this major issue is ignored or only given passing attention. There's a revolving door in this cycle where woman become grandmothers in their 30's because their children made the same poor decisions that they made. Someone has to break that cycle or that statistic (which I believe is the major issue in the AA community) will continue.

Bonefish is doubling down on his point. Can we also say that the reason racism continues to exist is because white grandfathers and white grandmothers told them that they were superior to AA (or any other race for that matter)? Man, until we get rid of this racial superiority complex that so many white families believe, than we will never eliminate racism. See how this works?

I think we've all done plenty of listening. It would appear that some aren't willing to look at factual statistics and would rather everyone ignore the facts and base their conclusions on emotion.

No, you've done enough "hearing". You haven't listened at all. You say look at facts, but you have no idea how to extrapolate those facts and analyze the big picture.

The whole kneeling protest has gone on for this long and you still have no clue what the hell Kap and his colleagues were protesting. It just shows you haven't been listening.

Bonefish is doubling down on his point. Can we also say that the reason racism continues to exist is because white grandfathers and white grandmothers told them that they were superior to AA (or any other race for that matter)? Man, until we get rid of this racial superiority complex that so many white families believe, than we will never eliminate racism. See how this works?

He hasn't tried to listen. Sure, he's heard other voices, but he's never listened or tried to understand their perspective.

No, you've done enough "hearing". You haven't listened at all. You say look at facts, but you have no idea how to extrapolate those facts and analyze the big picture.

The whole kneeling protest has gone on for this long and you still have no clue what the hell Kap and his colleagues were protesting. It just shows you haven't been listening.
You do know that most people came around to the realization that Kap's motives were purely selfish, right? And please tell me how we're not seeing the "big picture" when there's a mountain of evidence that shows blacks are not being systematically rounded up and slaughtered by police.

I'm sure there's some truth to that about the grandparents. Not disputing that at all. Does it still exist? I'm sure to some extent. But it's probably much less than what you'd be led to believe.
But you didn't answer the other question about how other races and nationalities (immigrants) have been able to make the strides they have socioeconomically, while facing an uphill battle of assimilation, while some pockets of the AA community continue to lean on racism as a root to their problems?

Drew Brees is a good man. How do I know this? Because when confronted, instead of advocating his point of view, looking for fodder to back it up, or saying he "apologizes if I offended you" he listened to those that are aggrieved, placed himself in their shoes, and learned.

That's what a leader does. That's what a good man does.

You do know that most people came around to the realization that Kap's motives were purely selfish, right? And please tell me how we're not seeing the "big picture" when there's a mountain of evidence that shows blacks are not being systematically rounded up and slaughtered by police.

Most people? Step outside of your Fox News worldview and you'll see that by "most people", you mean "Fox News viewers". Truth is he has continued his work well beyond being on the field.

Drew Brees is a good man. How do I know this? Because when confronted, instead of advocating his point of view, looking for fodder to back it up, or saying he "apologizes if I offended you" he listened to those that are aggrieved, placed himself in their shoes, and learned.

That's what a leader does. That's what a good man does.

Respect!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT