ADVERTISEMENT

Sing it Drew!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure I'm going to be blasted for saying this, but what Brees said was inflammatory and not helpful during a time in which millions of people are protesting for the basic right of not having to worry about being killed by the police.
You shouldn't be 'blasted' for this. You offered a an opinion that many people share right now. if someone disagrees, they should say so and offer their opinion as to why and not 'blast' you!

I'm sure I'm going to be blasted for saying this, but what Brees said was inflammatory and not helpful during a time in which millions of people are protesting for the basic right of not having to worry about being killed by the police.
This has gotten completely out of hand. People/left winged media are trying to make it seem like thousands of African Americans are killed by the police each year. It’s simply not the case.

In 2019 10 unarmed African Americans were killed by police.

- 5 of these incidents, the AA attacked the officer prior to being shot. They were not charged.
- in 1 incident, an officer and AA were struggling with each other and the gun was discharged in the struggle killing the AA. The officer was not charged.
- in 2 of the cases, the cops were charged with manslaughter.
- in the final two cases there is more of a gray area due to no witnesses where the cop claims he/she was attacked prior to shooting. Without any evidence one way or the other, the officers were not charged.

Again, that’s a total of 10 Unarmed AA deaths by police in 2019.

If someone finds Drew's description of what the national anthem and flag means to him inflammatory, then they need to reassess themselves. He talks of past sacrifice and the need for unity. Why can't OUR flag be something that unites us?

Also, I'm not buying the "bad timing" suggestion. He was asked a question and answered it. If his answer is viewed as wrong, then it's wrong all the time... Not just during destructive riots.

Edit:

And one more thing. Those that have complained when people offer thoughts and prayers as pointless in the time when action is needed.... Well, taking a knee is pointless inaction to me.

No more inflammatory than a pampered professional football player p*ssing all over the flag that many died defending.

What Drew said is problematic and is going to alienate teammates. Folks that are against players kneeling during the national anthem, in which the 2nd verse is racist, are missing the point. These players are not protesting the flag. They are kneeling to bring awareness to incidents like what happened to Mr. Floyd. The kneeling has nothing to do with the flag. What happened to Mr. Floyd was a modern day lynching in broad daylight. Police brutality has been happening in black community since reconstruction. If you are not part of the black community, you may not be aware of the frequency police brutality exists. The case recently in Louisville where police had a no knock warrant tried to enter an apartment without announcing who they are. The boyfriend of Brionna Taylor fires a shot with his lawfully obtained firearm. The police opens fire and kills Brionna in her bed. 8 gunshot wounds. The sad thing is that not only the police entered the wrong apartment, it was the wrong apartment complex. In addition, the suspect that they were looking for was already in custody at the time this went down.

Therefore, if you are inconvenienced by a minute and forty seconds while NFL players are kneeling then I guess don’t watch. With these recent events, there are going to some type of pregame protests. Get over it.

What Drew said is problematic and is going to alienate teammates. Folks that are against players kneeling during the national anthem, in which the 2nd verse is racist, are missing the point. These players are not protesting the flag. They are kneeling to bring awareness to incidents like what happened to Mr. Floyd. The kneeling has nothing to do with the flag. What happened to Mr. Floyd was a modern day lynching in broad daylight. Police brutality has been happening in black community since reconstruction. If you are not part of the black community, you may not be aware of the frequency police brutality exists. The case recently in Louisville where police had a no knock warrant tried to enter an apartment without announcing who they are. The boyfriend of Brionna Taylor fires a shot with his lawfully obtained firearm. The police opens fire and kills Brionna in her bed. 8 gunshot wounds. The sad thing is that not only the police entered the wrong apartment, it was the wrong apartment complex. In addition, the suspect that they were looking for was already in custody at the time this went down.

Therefore, if you are inconvenienced by a minute and forty seconds while NFL players are kneeling then I guess don’t watch. With these recent events, there are going to some type of pregame protests. Get over it.

Bullsh*t.

What Drew is saying is no more problematic than the players who desecrate the moments when we honor our country.

Kapernick: "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag ..."

He started protesting the flag. You can try to re-write history all you like, but he said what he said and he did what he did. AND... he was hailed as a hero for doing so.

He CHOSE to make his protest at the time of the National Anthem...a time when we honor our country, when we honor our flag. If it wasn't about the flag, he would have CHOSEN another time.

I will defend his right to protest, to exercise his freedom of expression, and I will absolutely exercise MY right to condemn his actions.

He was wrong then, you are wrong now, and none of that bullcrap will make it right.

If by not removing your hat during the national anthem, and not standing after the "please rise for the singing of your national anthem," is viewed as disrespectful.... Then you can't be surprised that taking a knee during the song is often viewed as disrespectful.

There are countless ways to protest and bring about change. Rioting, destruction, and protesting during the best nation's song aren't one of them.

Police brutality must stop. Although there are very few instances of homicide of Africa Americans By police, even one is to much. The Minneapolis police chief had cut instances of police brutality in half over the past two years, however, he didn’t get to these cops soon enough. The bad guys have been arrested and will be Tried.

Sorry, but I think that kneeling during the national anthem disrespects the flag and the country, and has nothing to with the issue of police brutality. It is nonsense. This QB who has little else going for him decided to disrespect the flag and call it a protest against police brutality. I don’t agree that it is a protest about anything, so I do not condone his actions.

It like deciding that showing your butt in downtown Detroit is a form of protest and telling folks that you are protesting something. If everyone doesn’t agree that showing their butts isn’t right, then they are against whatever it is you are protesting. One thing does not relate to the other. Kneeling during the national anthem does not relate to fair treatment by municipal police.

Bullsh*t.

What Drew is saying is no more problematic than the players who desecrate the moments when we honor our country.

Kapernick: "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag ..."

He started protesting the flag. You can try to re-write history all you like, but he said what he said and he did what he did. AND... he was hailed as a hero for doing so.

He CHOSE to make his protest at the time of the National Anthem...a time when we honor our country, when we honor our flag. If it wasn't about the flag, he would have CHOSEN another time.

I will defend his right to protest, to exercise his freedom of expression, and I will absolutely exercise MY right to condemn his actions.

He was wrong then, you are wrong now, and none of that bullcrap will make it right.

Finish Kaepernick's quote, don't edit it.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,” Kaepernick said. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

And he said this quote before he started kneeling. He was sitting down when he was asked why. He started kneeling after talking with former Marine and NFL player Nate Boyer, who asked him to kneel instead of jus

The myth of police indiscriminately killing black people is just that, a myth. But it’s a narrative the left and libs continue to sell and use in pandering.

In 2019, just over 1000 people were killed by LEO in the US.
41 of them were unarmed.
Of those 41, 20 were white, 10 were black.

Since the start of 2015, 4,728 people across the country have died in police shootings and approximately half - 2,385 - were white. Out of the remainder, 1,252 were black, 877 were Hispanic and 214 were from other racial groups

The myth of police indiscriminately killing black people is just that, a myth. But it’s a narrative the left and libs continue to sell and use in pandering.

In 2019, just over 1000 people were killed by LEO in the US.
41 of them were unarmed.
Of those 41, 20 were white, 10 were black.

Since the start of 2015, 4,728 people across the country have died in police shootings and approximately half - 2,385 - were white. Out of the remainder, 1,252 were black, 877 were Hispanic and 214 were from other racial groups

I think it’s more than just the killings.

It’s the being followed around in stores.

It’s the people walking to the other side of the street when they see you coming.

It’s the “you speak like a white person” comments.

It’s the “you’re smarter than I thought you were” comments.

It’s when your grandpa - a proud Purdue alum - tells you “not to bring home a black woman, because you don’t want any of those mixed kids.”

It’s when your family member refers to a former Kentucky b-ball player as a “good looking black man.”

It’s when your family is parking at the Northwestern vs Purdue basketball game, and two black guys are helping you park, and when they do a less than stellar job, your family member says, “well, look who parked us?”

I can’t stand the far-left mob either, and there are undoubtedly some selfish, bad-actors with an agenda on that side, but let’s do our best to take sides out of it.

Just try really listening and using some empathy for once.

Stop worrying so much about being “right”/correct and your thinly veiled ego/identity.

More interesting numbers from a 2014 article.

During an interview on NBC’s “Meet the Press” on November 23, 2014 Rudy Giuliani told blacks who were accusing white police of killing them that “white police officers wouldn’t be there if you weren’t killing each other.”

Giuliani pointed out that “93% of blacks are killed by other blacks.”

After the other talk-show guest, Georgetown University Professor Michael Eric Dyson, questioned that statistic, Giuliani responded by citing another figure from a 2010 Bureau of Justice Statistics report that did, indeed, conclude that 93% of black homicide victims from 1980 through 2008 were killed by black offenders.

This reporter took a look at the 2007 U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics report. In that study, the agency reported that blacks were victims of 7,999 homicides in 2005. It corroborated Giuliani’s claim that 93% of blacks were killed by other blacks, or about 7,440 murders in that year alone.

A six-year FBI study conducted between 2007 and 2012 found that, on average, local police forces kill 400 people every year in America. Of those, only 96, or 25%, involved blacks killed by white police officers.

It is worth noting that, according to the nonprofit New Century Foundation, of the nearly 1 million violent crimes committed every year involving blacks and whites in America, blacks commit 85% and whites commit 15%.

Faced with an overwhelming lack of evidence to support their claims, rather than concede the myth of white cops killing black males the liberal media went after the FBI, claiming the agency lacked transparency.

Eventually, a Wall Street Journal analysis uncovered that, “hundreds of homicides by law enforcement agencies in the U.S. between 2007 and 2012 are not included in FBI records.”

The Journal analyzed “the latest data from 105 of the country’s largest police agencies,” and “found more than 550 police killings during those years were missing from the national tally or, in a few dozen cases, not attributed to the agency involved. The result: It is nearly impossible to determine how many people are killed by the police each year.”

Assuming this discrepancy is correct, the adjusted yearly death tally would rise to 492 police killings per year, bringing the number of blacks killed by white police officers per year in the U.S. to 105.

Putting these figures in perspective then, for every black killed by a white police officer in the U.S. every year, there are about 71 blacks killed by other blacks.

Worse, if you take—on average—9,252 black-on-black murders every year for the past 35 years, you arrive at a staggering 323,820 blacks killed by other blacks on America’s mean streets in just three-and-a-half short decades.

By the way, last year 105 policemen were killed in the line of duty. This year 112 have been killed to date. That’s more than the number of blacks killed by white policemen.

Last edited:

That's fine and all, but it is anecdotal. One Marine does not speak for all Marines let alone all Americans. Military service does not lend more or less weight to one's opinion on patriotism or treatment of the flag. Kaepernick's opinion on the American flag and national anthem is just as valid as that Marine's and yours and mine. There is no need to wrap ourselves in the flag to show that we don't mind that others do not.

I know Purdue University alumni skew on the more conservative political spectrum (and Indiana should essentially be considered part of America's southern states). However, some of these comments regarding a lack of statistics about police killings/brutality against African Americans is just uninformed. I guess if you keep repeating these falsehoods, you will convince your like-minded friends that it is true. But any reasonable person who knows the history of this country around the issue of racism and state-sponsored bias isn't buying what some of you are selling on this thread.

To get back to the original topic of the thread. I agree with Drew. Kap is fine in protesting inequality. He had/has a platform and he can use it how he chooses. However with great privilege comes great responsibility and he chose to protest during a time that could and has been seen as very controversial. Wear eye black, talk about it in post game and pre game interviews, tweet about it, create a touchdown celebration that somehow promotes his cause, literally anything other than doing it during the national anthem that is probably, and this is an assumption, more revered by the people he is trying to get to understand his point of view. If I were trying to promote something I probably wouldn’t choose to do so in a manner that can easily be viewed as disrespectful by my target audience, but that’s just me.

This has gotten completely out of hand. People/left winged media are trying to make it seem like thousands of African Americans are killed by the police each year. It’s simply not the case.

In 2019 10 unarmed African Americans were killed by police.

- 5 of these incidents, the AA attacked the officer prior to being shot. They were not charged.
- in 1 incident, an officer and AA were struggling with each other and the gun was discharged in the struggle killing the AA. The officer was not charged.
- in 2 of the cases, the cops were charged with manslaughter.
- in the final two cases there is more of a gray area due to no witnesses where the cop claims he/she was attacked prior to shooting. Without any evidence one way or the other, the officers were not charged.

Again, that’s a total of 10 Unarmed AA deaths by police in 2019.

Go to hell

I know Purdue University alumni skew on the more conservative political spectrum (and Indiana should essentially be considered part of America's southern states). However, some of these comments regarding a lack of statistics about police killings/brutality against African Americans is just uninformed. I guess if you keep repeating these falsehoods, you will convince your like-minded friends that it is true. But any reasonable person who knows the history of this country around the issue of racism and state-sponsored bias isn't buying what some of you are selling on this thread.
You conflated two different topics - policing in America and America’s race history. I suggest you do some research into the recent statistics of police interactions with African Americans vs whites. Facts, stats, and data will lead you to your conclusion - not emotions or feelings.

Last edited:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,” Kaepernick said. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

And he said this quote before he started kneeling. He was sitting down when he was asked why. He started kneeling after talking with former Marine and NFL player Nate Boyer, who asked him to kneel instead of jus

How does anyone not find Kaepernick the most hypocritical POS there is? Won’t stand for the flag because this country oppresses black people, yet openly supports Fidel Castro who ran one of the most oppressive regimes in modern history. Won’t stand for the flag because this country oppresses black people, yet gets paid millions and millions of dollars by Nike whose products are made in international sweat shops with limited to no labor laws.

Colin Kaepernick didn’t kneel for oppression, he knelt to make a name for himself.

That's fine and all, but it is anecdotal. One Marine does not speak for all Marines let alone all Americans. Military service does not lend more or less weight to one's opinion on patriotism or treatment of the flag. Kaepernick's opinion on the American flag and national anthem is just as valid as that Marine's and yours and mine. There is no need to wrap ourselves in the flag to show that we don't mind that others do not.
How silly. This whole idea is anecdotal in nature. There is no "right" and "wrong" or ""true" and "false" but is inherently an opinion. You decry the marine for wrapping himself in the flag and yet that is precisely what Brees did.

My use of his quote was accurate, and sufficient to put to rest this idea it wasn't about the flag. It was ALL about the flag.

His handlers and apologists have tried to whitewash and polish his actions. His words betray their efforts.

Here is my problem with this, Kapperdick only started kneeling because he was going to get traded and his girlfriend talked him in to it. I will never believe his actions are genuine especially since he was raised by a rich family and now is just milking this whole thing.

Now, all that being said he has his right to his opinion just like Drew does. It's so hypocritical of all the people like lebron blasting Drew for having an opinion of his own just because it's different than what that moron lebron thinks. There was nothing racist, inflammatory or anything of that nature in what Drew said and in fact, he was trying to unite us as others have said. If you think what he said was inflammatory then you really need to re-evaluate your life choices.

The only time these athletes and celebrities seem to care about black violence is when it makes national news. What about all the black on black violence that goes on in Chicago daily?

Police brutality needs to stop and it isn't just one race that is impacted by it (whites are actually killed by cops on a ration of 2 to 1 compared to blacks) and the flag at one point was a beacon that used to unite us which is clearly what Drew was talking about.

It's sad to see how lost this country is and it isn't one political party that is part of the problem, it's ALL of them. None of them really give two craps about us as long as we vote for them. Until that is changed, none of this will change..... I mean Trump is using churches for photo ops and tweets that only fan the flames,.... while Biden is using every opportunity he can to milk what happened to Floyd for his benefit, even making money off of it.

We were created to all be equal and we have lost sight of that as a planet. Until we truly unite as a country and hold our government accountable, it will only continue.

How silly. This whole idea is anecdotal in nature. There is no "right" and "wrong" or ""true" and "false" but is inherently an opinion. You decry the marine for wrapping himself in the flag and yet that is precisely what Brees did.

I'm merely pointing out being a Marine does not add any weight to one's opinion on the flag, which is exactly what saying "I'm a Marine, and I don't mind" is attempting to do. Brees stated his opinion when asked, which is different. It is anecdotal to imply that if a Marine doesn't mind "disrespecting the flag" then it most be OK, when the Marine in question doesn't represent all Marines. Indeed, both of them have their opinion and neither is right or wrong. The difference is that Brees did not "wrap himself in the flag" while the Marine clearly did, by pointing out that he is a US Marine, as though that made him an authority on the topic.

Reactions: NG.q15
The difference is that Brees did not "wrap himself in the flag" while the Marine clearly did, by pointing out that he is a US Marine, as though that made him an authority on the topic.
Of course he did in speaking about his father and uncle's service. That's fine. However, it would appear that your attempt at differentiation is misplaced.

This thread is disgusting and shows that many of you have no understanding of systemic racism or what Kap was even protesting.

Regarding systemic racism, you say to stand up for the troops. That we should honor our vets. Then why not bring light to the issue of redlining. How black WW2 veterans were denied guaranteed mortgage loans from the GI bill, while white WW2 veterans were able to use that bill to widen the wealth gap. How in states like NY/NJ, of the 67,000 mortgages issued by the GI bill, only 100 went to those veterans that were non-white. How the statistics were even worse in the midwest and down south. How black WW2 veterans were denied the educational benefits of the GI bill and instead pushed to apply for vocational trading, widening the education and wealth gap.

Kap was expressing his 1st amendment right in a peaceful way to protest police brutality, which we have seen time and time again in these protests. You all want to focus on looting, but ignore Betsy DeVos looting our public school systems. I get it - she's white and wealthy, so the looting she is doing daily doesn't count. You ignore the looting best known as wage theft... probably because it disproportionately impacts our minority populations. You'd rather focus on the looting of $500 TVs from target.

Honor our vets, my ass. You want to honor our white vets. You could give two shits about our black and brown vets. Stop lying to yourselves. I love Drew Brees and think he's done a lot of great things, but he's wrong here, just as he was wrong when he pushed that pyramid scheme that got fined $150 million last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT