ADVERTISEMENT

"Secret Scrimmage"

Well, we didn't start pressing until the 2014/2015 season, and last time we played y'all what was what? 2011? It was whenever JuJaun Johnson and E'Twaun Moore were there.

No, the last regular season game played between both teams was in 2013-2014 at West Virginia. Purdue won that game.

Huggins' teams used to press like that at Cincinnati, implementing it in his third season there (1991-1992 season).

Purdue is going to struggle to defend, and I think teams getting to the FT line going to be fairly common.

If that's the case (not a strong personnel defensively), why wouldn't Painter and staff be willing to try different schemes? I know the "Shell" defense is being emphasized now, but they can do things besides that. If it helps, why not try it? Why does Painter believe man-to-man concepts are the end-all, be-all to playing defense when they are clearly not?

If that's the case (not a strong personnel defensively), why wouldn't Painter and staff be willing to try different schemes? I know the "Shell" defense is being emphasized now, but they can do things besides that. If it helps, why not try it? Why does Painter believe man-to-man concepts are the end-all, be-all to playing defense when they are clearly not?

Because it's Painter haha. "Defense lives here" aka "we only play man to man" remember?

Why does it seem like I've responded to this exact question many times before. The short answer is that Painter can make significant adjustments without abandoning man defense. I thought after watching the Southern Indiana game that he may have to back off a bit with the off the ball defense and I am sure he will if he needs to, much like he did in 2012.

Btw, "shell" is a drill, not a defense.

Reactions: tjreese
Oh for gods sake would someone Nag likes explain to him that "shell" is in reference to a practice drill and is in and of itself not a type of defense...also ask him how many D1 teams play zone.

Reactions: tjreese
Oh for gods sake would someone Nag likes explain to him that "shell" is in reference to a practice drill and is in and of itself not a type of defense...also ask him how many D1 teams play zone.
Well, I think Painter is being very inflexible, always playing that "Shell Defense". If only he had tried something different... and maybe he should have played Haas and AJ together more last year, we might be winning more games now...

I guess Painter is forced to play "Shell" since he can't get a Point Guard to play at Purdue...

Anyway, it has been a slow day, and I am feeling a bit cruel. Sorry 'bout that. We are all Boilers at heart.

:cool:

Shut up. Seriously. You have no clue what was going on.

If you lie to people about being in the military enough, you can be the biggest ass on the internet and never get questioned. You've become the joke here and the national board, without ever actually posting on the national board. Very impressive.

Reactions: nagemj02
If you lie to people about being in the military enough, you can be the biggest ass on the internet and never get questioned. You've become the joke here and the national board, without ever actually posting on the national board. Very impressive.
Lie? Ha, I can back it up any time buddy. Seriously this is a pretty weak post you got going on there Esmeralda.

Lie? Ha, I can back it up any time buddy. Seriously this is a pretty weak post you got going on there Esmeralda.

I served in the military too. I don't need to be an uneducated, ignorant, name-calling, know it all to get my point across. You've become the rivals joke. Are you proud?

Reactions: nagemj02
I served in the military too.
No you didn't. See I can make those kinds of statements too.

I don't need to be an uneducated, ignorant
Too bad you are exactly that. You interjected in to something you clearly know nothing about.

Only joke is you shirley... first a lie about being in the military then this other crap. How sad and pathetic your life must be.

So here is what I don't get. If you don't like how he posts them why stir the pot to begin with?

I'm not remotely defending him, I just don't understand things like your post when people go and poke the Kessel to begin with. Use the ignore function or don't acknowledge his posts and he loses his fuel. When you stir the pot, well, you kind of deserve what you get.

Not trying to start anything, just saying....

Last edited:
Why does it seem like I've responded to this exact question many times before. The short answer is that Painter can make significant adjustments without abandoning man defense. I thought after watching the Southern Indiana game that he may have to back off a bit with the off the ball defense and I am sure he will if he needs to, much like he did in 2012.

Btw, "shell" is a drill, not a defense.

My point is why shouldn't he work with this team on other defenses? I think it's fair to say that with this current personnel and/or experience level, this team will probably be pretty average defensively if they're playing man all the time. I don't think it's particularly smart to have Haas, Swanigan, or Taylor out on the perimeter defending high ball-screeners but that's something that they will be doing if they play man nearly every possession of every game. Why not mix things up and try to find ways to keep opponents off-balance and more effective on that side of the ball?

Reactions: klmLB
So here is what I don't get. If you don't like how he posts them why stir the pot to begin with?

I'm not remotely defending him, I just don't understand things like your post when people go and poke the Kessel to begin with. Use the ignore function or don't acknowledge his posts and he loses his fuel. When you stir the pot, we'll, you kind of deserve what you get.

Not trying to start anything, just saying....

I agree...and on top of it to be a site paying member as well and come out here to the free board and try to attack someone who just tries to keep the IU troIls away.

I find it sad when the silver and gold members come out here and spout off like we non paying members don't know anything.

Ahh well same old same old....not every Boilermaker is true, which is a lesson I learned about 6 years ago. I used to trust them all, now they have to earn my trust or and if they are too negative the don't exist to me.

Shame but I cant be around the negative one's anymore.....even if they claim to be a Boilermaker.

Support positive or move on.....thank goodness for the ignore button.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT