ADVERTISEMENT

"Secret Scrimmage"

nagemj02

All-American
Mar 16, 2010
Is that today or tomorrow? I think I've seen both today and Sunday listed as the date vs. West Virginia.

I heard(only heard) it got ugly and Purdue lost by 23 yikes. Keep in mind only have 7 scholarship players playing.

I heard(only heard) it got ugly and Purdue lost by 23 yikes. Keep in mind only have 7 scholarship players playing.

Where did you get that info.? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious.

That's true but I don't how much of a positive difference Smotherman and Cline would have made vs. West Virginia, at least in terms of breaking traps and presses. I would agree that they probably struggled because if they had done well, there would probably already be a short blurb on the front page about it (from their secondhand information).

Last edited:
Where did you get that info.? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious.

I would agree that they probably struggled because if they had done well, there would probably already be a short blurb on the front page about it (from their secondhand information).

Wv scout board

There was a story for paid subscribers on here that I saw tweeted earlier. Also a thread about it on knucklehead central. Other than that I've seen nothing.

There was a story for paid subscribers on here that I saw tweeted earlier. Also a thread about it on knucklehead central. Other than that I've seen nothing.

Can I at least ask you whether it was considered an underwhelming performance by the team or a good one against a better defensive team in West Virginia?

Reactions: cprh9u
I would not read much into this because Painter may very well have wanted to put his team under stress at this scrimmage just to get their attention. Now is the time to lose these types of games, right? This is the strategy that Izzo uses when scheduling some tough teams early in the year. In the long run, it toughen your team and can give then a strong killer instinct.

I would not read much into this because Painter may very well have wanted to put his team under stress at this scrimmage just to get their attention. Now is the time to lose these types of games, right? This is the strategy that Izzo uses when scheduling some tough teams early in the year. In the long run, it toughen your team and can give then a strong killer instinct.
You bet. That was the plan. No doubt.

Haha, that's exactly what I just did. Short-handed or not, this team has much to learn and improve. I understand losing and that it's supposed to be instructional as well, but losing by 23?
I have absolutely no idea what losing by 23 means as an indicator of Purdue. It said Purdue led by 1 in the second half. It said WV shot 48 Ft's. It doesn't appear that Purdue was behind 23 most of the second half since they led at one time. I also wonder if the 48 FT's were attempts to get back into the game and what number did it start with to balloon out to 23? I

What I do know even though I'm in the dark about the game like everyone else is that Purdue stuggled with on and off presses last year, which is different than pressing all the time like West Virginia. What I also know is that presses are more effective at the start of the year than later in the year. I suspect that the game got a little quick for Haas and his endurance. Biggie and Vince never had Taylor or Smotherman to give them a break and Purdue was very short handed and unathletic part of the game. How long does it take to take a lead to 23 with a pressing team against a team short handed in the areas that leave them very small. Were part of the 48 FT's due to fouling on WV offensive boards due to a thin front line?

Without seeing the game I'm just not near as good as some at dissecting what went wrong...if much of anything...

Purdue has things to work on, but nothing changed whether they won or loss by 23 against WV. I can't imagine anyone thinking Purdue was outstanding if they won, nor pitiful if they loss...I mean I did see their exhibition game and there are a lot of things to address, but nothing unexpected. BTW is the full game mode or do coaches and the refs work together to make this "secret scrimmage" beneficial to both coaches or does it play out just like a real game?

One guys for them scored 12 straight points in a matter or couple minutes. That will put you in a bind quickly.

WVU has been Top 10 in FTA ever we started pressing. Opposing teams can't handle the frantic pace and they start getting sloppy.
I think that is exactly why Huggins and Painter put this together. Painter wanted his team to experience one of the best pressing teams around. It was our Achilles Heal last year. Time we got past that.

By the way, thanks to WVA for helping our team. Hopefully you guys got something out of it too.

:cool:

WVU has been Top 10 in FTA ever we started pressing. Opposing teams can't handle the frantic pace and they start getting sloppy.
Are you suggesting Purdue threw the ball away and fouled to stop breaks? I'm trying to tie sloppiness with fouls. does anyone at WV know the turnovers, rebounds and fg attempts...93 points is a lot...

Reactions: nagemj02
Are you suggesting Purdue threw the ball away and fouled to stop breaks? I'm trying to tie sloppiness with fouls. does anyone at WV know the turnovers, rebounds and fg attempts...93 points is a lot...
Without seeing the game myself I'm not going to try and analyze anything about it other than to say when the opponent shoots 48 FT's 2 things are likely to happen:

1. You're likely to lose.
2. You're going to give up a fair number of points.

Hopefully something productive was taken from the scrimmage and we are ready for the season to open Friday. Yes, I said the season opens Friday!!! Finally!

Without seeing the game myself I'm not going to try and analyze anything about it other than to say when the opponent shoots 48 FT's 2 things are likely to happen:

1. You're likely to lose.
2. You're going to give up a fair number of points.

Hopefully something productive was taken from the scrimmage and we are ready for the season to open Friday. Yes, I said the season opens Friday!!! Finally!
True I'm just wondering how they came about

Reactions: nagemj02

What I'm saying is that the press wears on teams mentally as well as physically. They get tired and frustrated and start making mistakes they normally won't make, and those mistakes often lead to fouls. Player doesn't move his feet quick enough because he's tired, hand-checks to make up for it, commits a foul. Player gets trapped and stripped, gets frustrated because he thinks he got fouled, tries to strip the ball back and reaches. Mid-court trap gets broken, player sees daylight and attacks the rim, but gets himself outta control and commits a charge. I've seen this shit happen to good teams who are coached better and who know better, we took 47 FTA against Kansas who normally gets babied by the league.

Did players actually foul out? If so, we might have been reduced to a lineup full of walkons by the end of it since we only had 7 scholarship players to start with and apparently fouled enough to give them 48 free throws.

Wouldn't put much stock into it either way. Game at 10 am. Probably not approached as a real game as much as a chance to try things against legitimate competition. I am not surprised that we would have problems defensively though. Many people seemed to want to dismiss the loss of Hammons and Davis but that is really going to hurt us defensively. Hopefully this is an early wake-up call and we can make some big improvements there without having to take an L as a lesson.

Reactions: punaj
What I'm saying is that the press wears on teams mentally as well as physically. They get tired and frustrated and start making mistakes they normally won't make, and those mistakes often lead to fouls. Player doesn't move his feet quick enough because he's tired, hand-checks to make up for it, commits a foul. Player gets trapped and stripped, gets frustrated because he thinks he got fouled, tries to strip the ball back and reaches. Mid-court trap gets broken, player sees daylight and attacks the rim, but gets himself outta control and commits a charge. I've seen this shit happen to good teams who are coached better and who know better, we took 47 FTA against Kansas who normally gets babied by the league.

Did not really pose much of a problem for us in the 3 (I think) regular season matchups we've had with Huggins WVU teams since he's been there. That's why we scrimmaged you this season though. The press has been a problem for this roster and this gives us an opportunity to work on it without worrying about the things we're trying to do costing us a game.

Good luck this season.

Did not really pose much of a problem for us in the 3 (I think) regular season matchups we've had with Huggins WVU teams since he's been there. That's why we scrimmaged you this season though. The press has been a problem for this roster and this gives us an opportunity to work on it without worrying about the things we're trying to do costing us a game.

Good luck this season.

Well, we didn't start pressing until the 2014/2015 season, and last time we played y'all what was what? 2011? It was whenever JuJaun Johnson and E'Twaun Moore were there.

From what I have read it was close in the first half with a WV lead at the half.

Purdue went on a run in the second half and went up by 1 and then foul trouble and one of their guards hitting 3 3pointers back to back to back pushed the game out.

I think it exposed a few things....

1) Depth at the 4 and 5. If Biggie and Haas and V. Edwards get in foul trouble, Taylor will need to heal up and become durable and need to be ready at the 5 and Smotherman and Eifert will need to be ready at the 4.
*Note: I know Taylor and Smotherman were not available for the scrimmage and that would have helped as far as depth and resting guys in foul trouble.

2) Defense on the 3 pointer. Sounds like we were either tired on defense or not rotating over to defend the open guy behind the arc.

3) Aggressive on both ends.....Purdue has to rebound, has to make free throws and hast to not turnover the ball.

I am glad we played this game and glad we have the rough pre-season and know that it may hurt when we lose a few of these, but will help us in the long run come BTT and NCAAT.

I am just hopeful we had no injuries and it was beneficial for both teams.

Boiler Up!

Did players actually foul out? If so, we might have been reduced to a lineup full of walkons by the end of it since we only had 7 scholarship players to start with and apparently fouled enough to give them 48 free throws.

Wouldn't put much stock into it either way. Game at 10 am. Probably not approached as a real game as much as a chance to try things against legitimate competition. I am not surprised that we would have problems defensively though. Many people seemed to want to dismiss the loss of Hammons and Davis but that is really going to hurt us defensively. Hopefully this is an early wake-up call and we can make some big improvements there without having to take an L as a lesson.
If in fact the fouls were directly linked to errors against their press, which is not a surprising notion, then the impact of Davis and Hammons would not be all that significant. In other words you get fouls on you when pressed because your poor ball handling decisions leave you out of position and as a result you commit fouls or give up layups or both. Not saying their D was insignificant, just not so much in those circumstances.

Delusion knows no boundaries.

From what I have read it was close in the first half with a WV lead at the half.

Purdue went on a run in the second half and went up by 1 and then foul trouble and one of their guards hitting 3 3pointers back to back to back pushed the game out.

I think it exposed a few things....

1) Depth at the 4 and 5. If Biggie and Haas and V. Edwards get in foul trouble, Taylor will need to heal up and become durable and need to be ready at the 5 and Smotherman and Eifert will need to be ready at the 4.
*Note: I know Taylor and Smotherman were not available for the scrimmage and that would have helped as far as depth and resting guys in foul trouble.

2) Defense on the 3 pointer. Sounds like we were either tired on defense or not rotating over to defend the open guy behind the arc.

3) Aggressive on both ends.....Purdue has to rebound, has to make free throws and hast to not turnover the ball.

I am glad we played this game and glad we have the rough pre-season and know that it may hurt when we lose a few of these, but will help us in the long run come BTT and NCAAT.

I am just hopeful we had no injuries and it was beneficial for both teams.

Boiler Up!
All three issues are fixable. Having Nova and Louisville will be two more great learning opportunities against highest level defenses and in the Ville's case, pressing.
Hopefully we see the benefits when we play teams in the Big who want to attack us with intermittent presses.
I bet the basketball gods put us in a rematch game with WVU in the tournament.

If in fact the fouls were directly linked to errors against their press, which is not a surprising notion, then the impact of Davis and Hammons would not be all that significant. In other words you get fouls on you when pressed because your poor ball handling decisions leave you out of position and as a result you commit fouls or give up layups or both. Not saying their D was insignificant, just not so much in those circumstances.

Would love to see our turnover #'s for the scrimmage. Probably all going to be speculation that we'll never be able to verify.

Would love to see our turnover #'s for the scrimmage. Probably all going to be speculation that we'll never be able to verify.
It's worth listening to Brian Newbert's take on Gold and Black Radio. It sounds like Painter only played 7 and the team wore down late. It sounds like Purdue had quite a few turnovers, but not against the press.

It's worth listening to Brian Newbert's take on Gold and Black Radio. It sounds like Painter only played 7 and the team wore down late. It sounds like Purdue had quite a few turnovers, but not against the press.

Interesting. I never listened to that even when I was a premium member. Didn't even figure it was available without a premium subscription. This would be one of the few instances where I would find such information valuable because I can't see it to judge for myself.

As for the turnovers, we typically have way too many in the halfcourt. Many trying to force a pass into the post.

I think this is where Basil and Taylor would have helped, Basil would have been an additional ball handler and slasher and Taylor can obviously run and spread the floor. Will need both of them against smaller or teams that press

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
'Cause it's a secret.
Now that I think about I'm glad it's a secret since it does not count against us but teaches some lessons...whatever they may be.

Last edited:
11236326_514863745328965_1100092494_n.jpg

WV shot 56%. Tough to win when you let a team shoot that well. Defense will be a work in progress this year and will cost us some games early.

Reactions: cprh9u
Purdue is going to struggle to defend, and I think teams getting to the FT line going to be fairly common.

Yep. The losses of AJH and RD are going to be huge on the defensive end and from a leadership standpoint.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT