ADVERTISEMENT

Ruth Bader Ginsburg has passed

I understand your point but wait until you know some young girl who is pregnant. You apparently believe life starts at conception? I'm not so sure and I have no one in my family I have to worry, married or beyond their child bearing days. People who are rich enough will head to the Carribbean, Mexico or Canada like they did in the good old days.
Maybe I’ll pitch in for that one way ticket.

Fortunately a large portion of Americans don't agree with you that the president calling the granddaughter of a respected, recently deceased SCJ a liar and making the alleged statement a political issue.
Maybe RBG or her granddaughter shouldn't have made the choice of her replacement political.

For anyone still thinking the Senate should delay:
29 times there has been a SCOTUS vacancy in an election year. The President has made a nomination all 29 times. 19 of those 29 times has the Senate been ruled by the same party as the President. 17 of those 19 times the nominee was confirmed. 10 times the Senate has been ruled by a different party than the President. Of those 10, the Senate has confirmed the nominee only twice.

If the Supreme Court overturns Roe v Wade it will be kicked back to the states which will produce a patchwork of different abortion laws. I personally think that might produce some unexpected consequences. 1. It would remove this “hot button” issue from Republicans. 2. It would allow Planned Parenthood to operate more clinics that provide services other than abortion in conservative states. 3. States would have the burden of dealing with the consequences of not permitting abortion. 4. It would stop these endless law suits trying to work their way to the SC to overturn Roe v Wade. 5. It could spur the development of a male contraceptive.

It would hurt those who can not afford to go to another state to get an abortion. There may be a move to pass laws to prevent pregnancy but I think that ship has sailed. Contraception was used in Egypt 4,000 years ago so it seems unlikely that contraceptives would be made illegal.

Reactions: Bill4411
I have a feeling Mitch is about to be awarded the hypocrite of the year award.

Um. Both sides have done a complete 180 on their stance from four years ago which means there are hypocrites on both sides of the aisle. The only difference is that one side currently has the power and the other side does not. But both sides are only as sincere as it is politically convenient for them to be so.

Reactions: Sophie1970
According to Pew research in 2019, 56% of American Catholics support abortion in all or most cases. (Pew Forum .org/public opinion on abortion)
I've always said the first time an abortion is shown in its entirety in prime time, it would be outlawed the very next day.

There was an article in the Purdue Alumnus magazine several years ago where a woman chose to continue a pregnancy that doctors told her and her husband would be fatal. She died but the baby survived leaving the husband, a 2 year old and a newborn without wife and mother. I can’t remember if both or only one were Purdue graduates. Maybe someone can find that article as it and the letters after the article appeared were most interesting.

Last edited:
There was a case in Ohio in 2019 of a pregnancy from rape of an 11 year old and a case of a pregnancy again from rape, in a 10 year old in Brazil. The average age of the beginning of puberty in the U.S. is now 11.

Beth cracks me up. She's blocked every conservative on here. #ICanOnlyLiveInAnEchoChamber

Last edited:
Reactions: PurduePete98
If the Supreme Court overturns Roe v Wade it will be kicked back to the states which will produce a patchwork of different abortion laws. I personally think that might produce some unexpected consequences. 1. It would remove this “hot button” issue from Republicans. 2. It would allow Planned Parenthood to operate more clinics that provide services other than abortion in conservative states. 3. States would have the burden of dealing with the consequences of not permitting abortion. 4. It would stop these endless law suits trying to work their way to the SC to overturn Roe v Wade. 5. It could spur the development of a male contraceptive.

It would hurt those who can not afford to go to another state to get an abortion. There may be a move to pass laws to prevent pregnancy but I think that ship has sailed. Contraception was used in Egypt 4,000 years ago so it seems unlikely that contraceptives would be made illegal.
Do you think you will still be able to get an abortion in any state? A lot of red states needing to come up with a lot more money for all the children or perhaps they will hope the mother's will simply move to blue states? Will the Affordable Health Care bill bite the dust as it barely survived a few years ago but for John Roberts making a surprise decision?

Do you think you will still be able to get an abortion in any state? A lot of red states needing to come up with a lot more money for all the children or perhaps they will hope the mother's will simply move to blue states? Will the Affordable Health Care bill bite the dust as it barely survived a few years ago but for John Roberts making a surprise decision?

No, I think that some states will have abortion on demand, others will have laws for abortion in extreme cases (rape, survival of mother, etc,) and some states have laws preventing abortion regardless of circumstances. ( “Patchwork”) Women who know and understand pregnancy and childbirth in a way that men cannot overwhelmingly support abortion. Greater percent of women support abortion under any circumstances than men.

Yes, I think the Affordable Care will be gone. Amy Coney Barrett is extremely conservative, more than any justice now on the SC and that will make a huge difference. She certainly will not be an advocate for women to the degree that RBG was. I suspect that a lot of changes will occur in laws protecting women, gays blacks.

By your logic, yes.

For the record though, they can't. You need both the House and the Senate to do it.

It's all about the escalation.
Republicans have a chance to step back and keep things from getting crazy. So far, indications are that they are not.
So you’re admitting the Dems will initiate doing the “crazy” things?

No, I think that some states will have abortion on demand, others will have laws for abortion in extreme cases (rape, survival of mother, etc,) and some states have laws preventing abortion regardless of circumstances. ( “Patchwork”) Women who know and understand pregnancy and childbirth in a way that men cannot overwhelmingly support abortion. Greater percent of women support abortion under any circumstances than men.

Yes, I think the Affordable Care will be gone. Amy Coney Barrett is extremely conservative, more than any justice now on the SC and that will make a huge difference. She certainly will not be an advocate for women to the degree that RBG was. I suspect that a lot of changes will occur in laws protecting women, gays blacks.
The ACA will be around in some form.
To many conservative, blue collar small businesses depend on it.

The ACA will be around in some form.
To many conservative, blue collar small businesses depend on it.

“Amy Coney Barrett meets Donald Trump’s two main litmus tests: She has made clear she would invalidate the A.C.A. and take health care away from millions of people and undermine a woman’s reproductive freedom,” See article from NYT

Interesting that she supports Trump's policies on immigration but has adopted two immigrants. Of course, Trump is anti-immigration except for two of his wives.

Reactions: Bill4411
“Amy Coney Barrett meets Donald Trump’s two main litmus tests: She has made clear she would invalidate the A.C.A. and take health care away from millions of people and undermine a woman’s reproductive freedom,” See article from NYT

Interesting that she supports Trump's policies on immigration but has adopted two immigrants. Of course, Trump is anti-immigration except for two of his wives.
Against illegal immigration you echo chamber fool.

I stick to my statement that the ACA will survive in some modified form.
To many small businesses and Farmers now get subsidized health care.
It would be political suicide to change that.
The problem with social programs is once given it is impossible to take it away.

Reactions: SKYDOG

“Elections have consequences.” - Barack Obama

Whooooooooos ready for some senate judiciary hearings?

I'm sure they will be civil and even handed. I wonder if Harris is going to go with Catholics can't be on the court like she did with BK now that her VP pick is Catholic?

For anyone still thinking the Senate should delay:
29 times there has been a SCOTUS vacancy in an election year. The President has made a nomination all 29 times. 19 of those 29 times has the Senate been ruled by the same party as the President. 17 of those 19 times the nominee was confirmed. 10 times the Senate has been ruled by a different party than the President. Of those 10, the Senate has confirmed the nominee only twice.
For the record, there's a difference between "confirmed" and "considered". Most of those 10 times, the nomination was considered and rejected by vote, but (if my research is correct) there were indeed 2 other times (besides Obama / Garland) where the Senate were just dicks and refused to even consider the nomination.
Rutherford B. Hayes nominated Thomas Stanley Matthews (who was "tabled" by the Senate, but then James Garfield renominated Matthews the following year and he was approved)
and Millard Filmore attempted to nominate four different people but one withdrew and the Senate just completely ignored the other three (Filmore was not particularly liked as he was both A. a vice-president that assumed the role of president when Zachary Taylor died and B. someone who was trying to make everybody happy in the years leading up to the civil war and just ended up making things worse).

Well then he’s a backwards, old fashioned, intolerant Fuddy Duddy, with a stupid hat.
Don't disagree, especially about the hat, but in that hierarchy can't the Pope decide who is a real Catholic and who isn't? If he says that people who are ok with abortions are not Catholic and will dwell with Beezlebub, isn't that the final word as far as the Catholic faith goes?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT