ADVERTISEMENT

Rivals 150 out

Boiler Buck

All-American
Mar 11, 2010
The Rivals 150 is out. On that list currently 23 players are headed to the B1G. Every school but Iowa I believe lists a top 150 recruit coming, some have two or even three listed beginning with MD @ #6, before you find Purdue's guy Cline down @ #141.

Happy we are getting Cline, but to be nationally competitive Painter needs to do better next year getting 1 or even 2 in the top 100. I sure Painter would agree with that.

So bbg how many times have you seen cline play? What are your qualifications to state so assuredly that he's highly underrated? Buck, I agree with you. I am sure cline will be a nice 4 year player but we all know to do any damage you need at least a couple future nba players on your team. These types of classes(filled with marginal 4 year role players) are fine as long as it's not more than once every 4 years. Recruiting is so improtant to college bball if Painter can't consistently bring in top talent we're going to keep going through cycles where we're good for a couple years then terrible for the next couple. This class has 08-11 recruiting years written all over it where Painter and his players proceed to lead us to back to back losing years with a last place finish, hope I am wrong and history is not repeating itself.

Pretty sure we have 3 or 4 future NBA players on our team now.
Hammons and maybe Haas. Definitely not 3 or 4. That's besides the point anyway, if we want to be consistently competitive these classes need to be exception not the norm.

The Rivals 150 is out. On that list currently 23 players are headed to the B1G. Every school but Iowa I believe lists a top 150 recruit coming, some have two or even three listed beginning with MD @ #6, before you find Purdue's guy Cline down @ #141.

Happy we are getting Cline, but to be nationally competitive Painter needs to do better next year getting 1 or even 2 in the top 100. I sure Painter would agree with that.
Buck, here's my question....and it's an honest one. How do you propose that Painter do that? Winning breeds better recruits and if PU wins big next year, competes for, or wins the B10, and reaches the Elite 8 or FF, that might be the way. But has anyone ever thought that Matt might be more comfortable with the under-rated 3 or under-recruited 4?

Buck, here's my question....and it's an honest one. How do you propose that Painter do that? Winning breeds better recruits and if PU wins big next year, competes for, or wins the B10, and reaches the Elite 8 or FF, that might be the way. But has anyone ever thought that Matt might be more comfortable with the under-rated 3 or under-recruited 4?
No. Only people with limited basketball knowledge would assume Painter is more comfortable working with less talent. Is it really a coincidence that Painter rose to prominence with the number 5 rated class then fell from grace when he took recruiting off for a few years?The only top 50 kids Painter has ever landed(JJ and Etwaun) now have their jerseys hanging from the rafter and rob was still a top 70. Recruit ranking aren't en exact science but they're pretty damn reliable.

Painter is trying to do that by recruiting Ohio, IL and other out of state areas hard. He is on 3-4 guys minimum and recruiting them very hard from OH & IL next year that are top 100 from out of state. Plus he does what he can in state but is hampered by negative recruiting.....however, in any case I am not sure why he does not recruit La Lumiere extremely hard with who they have up there for 2016-7....that is a big ????

Pretty sure we have 3 or 4 future NBA players on our team now.
Uh....Who would those players be? Hammons probably. Maybe Haas. Who else? Edwards is a long shot and I don't think anyone else on your team could even sniff an NBA roster. Now, that doesn't mean they're bad players or you guys will have a bad team. Making an NBA roster is tough.

Uh....Who would those players be? Hammons probably. Maybe Haas. Who else? Edwards is a long shot and I don't think anyone else on your team could even sniff an NBA roster. Now, that doesn't mean they're bad players or you guys will have a bad team. Making an NBA roster is tough.
Thanks for the input snu..... When's the last time your squad beat Purdue? That Octeus dunk sure was sweet wasn't it?

This class has 08-11 recruiting years written all over it where Painter and his players proceed to lead us to back to back losing years with a last place finish, hope I am wrong and history is not repeating itself.
Don't worry, you are. Cline has been called one of the best shooters in the country by many who evaluate talent for a living and aren't spouting random opinions on a message forum. While he may not make an instant impact, he stands an exceptional chance to do so before he is done.

As far as having nba talent on the team, as someone else mentioned we have that already. Stop being such a downer and get on board with this team. Painter is getting the pieces he needs for the entire team to be successful.

Don't worry, you are. Cline has been called one of the best shooters in the country by many who evaluate talent for a living and aren't spouting random opinions on a message forum. While he may not make an instant impact, he stands an exceptional chance to do so before he is done.

As far as having nba talent on the team, as someone else mentioned we have that already. Stop being such a downer and get on board with this team. Painter is getting the pieces he needs for the entire team to be successful.
Actually according to history, you are wrong, not me. And who says I'm not on board with the team? Nice strawman.

If you think Edwards is a "long shot" after the way he played in just his freshmen year, then I suggest you go seek some help for your drug addiction. And Haas won't sniff a NBA roster? His first two years he will be playing against a future NBA player so is already honing his skills for the league.

Seriously, just go back to peegs.

Actually according to history, you are wrong, not me. And who says I'm not on board with the team? Nice strawman.
According to what "history"? Since Cline hasn't set foot on campus yet he has no history at Purdue. I'm sorry you're so down on Cline, but whatever. I'll enjoy being right and you can continue to doubt the team. I don't really care. Sure not the best player in the land but IMO he is certainly top 100 and I truly think he will prove that before his time is done.

Here is just a sample of what this kid can do:

Of course lets not forget this:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...t-contest-carmel-purdue-high-school/70825096/

Last edited:
If you think Edwards is a "long shot" after the way he played in just his freshmen year, then I suggest you go seek some help for your drug addiction. And Haas won't sniff a NBA roster? His first two years he will be playing against a future NBA player so is already honing his skills for the league.

Actually he said AJH, maybe Haas, no one else will sniff an NBA roster. Hard to argue with what he said even if he is a loosier. VE is a nice college player but a 6'6 small forward who isn't known as a shooter or being exceptional with his handle will have a hard time making it as a SG (his most likely position in the NBA). Could/should be a really good college player though and I am looking forward to seeing him develop over the next few years.

I do think Edwards is a long shot at the NBA. He had a good freshman year, but it wasn't overly special. Look at how he did versus some of the others nationally. He's going to need to get a lot better if he actually wants to make a roster. Do you not think he's going to be a four year player? At least three. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'm saying it's a long shot for him. He's not on any mock drafts for 2016 or 2017. That to me is telling.

And I said Haas has a chance as I said "maybe." He's not on any mock drafts, either. I think he's got a higher chance of getting drafted than Edwards.

No need for your type of response. I was simply challenging a poster with his post who said you had "3 or 4 NBA players" on your roster which simply isn't correct. You can be civil with your responses.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
According to what "history"? Since Cline hasn't set foot on campus yet he has no history at Purdue. I'm sorry you're so down on Cline, but whatever. I'll enjoy being right and you can continue to doubt the team. I don't really care. Sure not the best player in the land but IMO he is certainly top 100 and I truly think he will prove that before his time is done.

Here is just a sample of what this kid can do:

Of course lets not forget this:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...t-contest-carmel-purdue-high-school/70825096/
Once again you can't argue my point so you create a strawman. Nice job, i guess? Never said I was down on Cline, I'm just not goinng to act like a lowly rated 3 star is going to be a stud in college. History being Matt Painter with lowly ranked 3 star prospects, he's had some solid players but nobody that wows you. Lew jack would be the closest. So I guess I'll enjoy being right while you're wrong.

Actually he said AJH, maybe Haas, no one else will sniff an NBA roster. Hard to argue with what he said even if he is a loosier. VE is a nice college player but a 6'6 small forward who isn't known as a shooter or being exceptional with his handle will have a hard time making it as a SG (his most likely position in the NBA). Could/should be a really good college player though and I am looking forward to seeing him develop over the next few years.
Thank you. This is exactly how I see it except I'm NOT looking forward to him developing! DWS. He's gonna be a very tough college player and a thorn in our side for a few years.

And to clarify, Edwards could absolutely develop into an NBA player. But to consider him an NBA player RIGHT NOW or that it's a sure thing, I don't think is correct.

Once again you can't argue my point so you create a strawman. Nice job, i guess? Never said I was down on Cline, I'm just not goinng to act like a lowly rated 3 star is going to be a stud in college. History being Matt Painter with lowly ranked 3 star prospects, he's had some solid players but nobody that wows you. Lew jack would be the closest. So I guess I'll enjoy being right while you're wrong.
Lol, whatever dude its clear you aren't right. Not my fault you aren't capable of seeing it. I've proven it, now I'll move on. Good luck.

I do think Edwards is a long shot at the NBA. He had a good freshman year, but it wasn't overly special. Look at how he did versus some of the others nationally. He's going to need to get a lot better if he actually wants to make a roster. Do you not think he's going to be a four year player? At least three. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'm saying it's a long shot for him. He's not on any mock drafts for 2016 or 2017. That to me is telling.

And I said Haas has a chance as I said "maybe." He's not on any mock drafts, either. I think he's got a higher chance of getting drafted than Edwards.

No need for your type of response. I was simply challenging a poster with his post who said you had "3 or 4 NBA players" on your roster which simply isn't correct. You can be civil with your responses.

Troy Williams freshman year. 7.3 ppg and 4.4 rbg
Vince Edwards freshman year 8.8 ppg and 4.8 rbg with a much better handle.

I just let you consider that for awhile. The fourth possibility would be Stephens.

Troy Williams freshman year. 7.3 ppg and 4.4 rbg
Vince Edwards freshman year 8.8 ppg and 4.8 rbg with a much better handle.

I just let you consider that for awhile. The fourth possibility would be Stephens.
They are different players in terms of NBA prospects. Edwards is a much better shooter and Williams is a significantly better athlete. I'm not sold on Williams making a roster, either. I don't really know what I'm supposed to consider. Again, Edwards isn't on ANY mock draft boards.

Stephens is an even longer shot than Edwards.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
They are different players in terms of NBA prospects. Edwards is a much better shooter and Williams is a significantly better athlete. I'm not sold on Williams making a roster, either. I don't really know what I'm supposed to consider. Stephens is an even longer shot than Edwards.
You probably missed the "future" part of my text that you actually quoted, in your haste to make a statement about the lack of talent on our roster.

Lol, whatever dude its clear you aren't right. Not my fault you aren't capable of seeing it. I've proven it, now I'll move on. Good luck.
Actually I've used facts and history, not my fault the only thing you have is your so called basketball knowledge, or lack thereof. Pretty clear you're wrong but just too stubborn to admit it.

Fair enough I misread it. This site on a phone kinda sucks.

You probably missed the "future" part of my text that you actually quoted, in your haste to make a statement about the lack of talent on our roster.
Nope. Didn't miss it and I actually complemented your talent. I just don't think it's likely you have even three NBA players on your roster. And I say that just because of how hard it is to get drafted and make a roster. AGAIN, that doesn't mean they won't be very good college players which I think Haas and Edwards will be.

Nope. Didn't miss it and I actually complemented your talent. I just don't think it's likely you have even three NBA players on your roster. And I say that just because of how hard it is to get drafted and make a roster. AGAIN, that doesn't mean they won't be very good college players which I think Haas and Edwards will be.

Maybe it will be Cline. Heck every incoming Freshman on a Div. 1 roster could be an NBA player when the dream is there...then they become Sophomores and we see the truth and reality of the situation.

Reactions: SNU0821
Actually I've used facts and history, not my fault the only thing you have is your so called basketball knowledge, or lack thereof. Pretty clear you're wrong but just too stubborn to admit it.
Lol yeah using hypothetical "evidence" about a player that hasn't played a game yet for Purdue sure put me in my place! What are you 12? Never mind.. Not going to waste time on you and your limited vision.

[QUOTE="

I'm sorry, not trying to trash up a rival board. But Stephens in the NBA?!?! GTFO[/QUOTE]
Yeah, the NBA is bereft of 6'5"-6'7" players who can play defense and hit from long range. What was I thinking? You IU fans act as if our players who have 2-3 years left can't continue to progress. The skill set is there. Improvement will give both legit shots at a roster if they can stay healthy.

I'm sorry, not trying to trash up a rival board. But Stephens in the NBA?!?! GTFO
Yeah, the NBA is bereft of 6'5"-6'7" players who can play defense and hit from long range. What was I thinking? You IU fans act as if our players who have 2-3 years left can't continue to progress. The skill set is there. Improvement will give both legit shots at a roster if they can stay healthy.[/QUOTE]

Stephens has a long way to go. He may play overseas, but at this point he is a very long shot to play in the nba.

He shoots well, but that is it.

Stephens has a long way to go. He may play overseas, but at this point he is a very long shot to play in the nba.

He shoots well, but that is it.
This. He didn't progressed nearly as much as I thought he would last year. I expected more of an overall offensive game from him. He still looked like a pure shooter and that's it. He has a LONG way to go to be an NBA draft pick. Edwards, Haas and Hammons all have much better shots at making it than Stephens.

Edwards is definitely a legit 6'7, if not 6'8. His handle was solid as a freshman and he shot better than expected, especially if you go by some of his evaluations as a prep player (i.e. Rivals listed his shooting as "developing", which is their nice way of saying "not good"). He can get bigger and stronger so, if things work out in the long run, playing the 3 at the NBA level could end up being a realistic possibility for him.

Lol yeah using hypothetical "evidence" about a player that hasn't played a game yet for Purdue sure put me in my place! What are you 12? Never mind.. Not going to waste time on you and your limited vision.

Actually I'm Old enough to argue the point someone makes. How old are you? You seem halfway senile already. But hey, just leave the argument and throw out an insult since you have no actual basketball knowledge to argue with. No point wasting my time on you and your limited knowledge anyway.

Last edited:
Old enough to argue the point someone makes. How old are you? You seem halfway senile already. But hey, just leave the argument and throw out an insult since you have no actual basketball knowledge to argue with anyway.
And again you are wrong. You're the one that started in with the insults, I refuted your comment and all you've come back with is more insults. I'm exiting talking to you because I know when I am dealing with a mental midget bent with nothing of substance to add and I don't waste my time with people like you that can't grasp the simple concept of opinion. But that's okay, from here out we'll test out the new ignore feature and you can be the first on my list. Congrats.

Edwards is definitely a legit 6'7, if not 6'8. His handle was solid as a freshman and he shot better than expected, especially if you go by some of his evaluations as a prep player (i.e. Rivals listed his shooting as "developing", which is their nice way of saying "not good"). He can get bigger and stronger so, if things work out in the long run, playing the 3 at the NBA level could end up being a realistic possibility for him.

Thank you Nag. KId is not just a "nice college player". He has NBA aspirations and I see no reason to think he can't get there, especially after such a good freshman campaign. He is about as versatile as you can be. Hell, didn't he become one of a few select freshmen to have the stats he had in a NCAA tourney game?

And again you are wrong. You're the one that started in with the insults, I refuted your comment and all you've come back with is more insults. I'm exiting talking to you because I know when I am dealing with a mental midget bent with nothing of substance to add and I don't waste my time with people like you that can't grasp the simple concept of opinion. But that's okay, from here out we'll test out the new ignore feature and you can be the first on my list. Congrats.

hahaha That's right, put me on ignore. It's better than embarrassing yourself and your complete lack of basketball knowledge. Mental midgets like you are easy to prove wrong. What's really funny is that you seem to fancy yourself as some sort of expert when in reality my toilet seat has more insight about purdue bball then you. Oh by the way I thought you were going to stop replying a couple comments ago?

Last edited:
th

"it is a staggering 17 percent for someone 7 feet or taller." -Boston Globe quoting a 2011 SI article.

Haas is going to the NBA on that merit alone.

Except for the fact that all of Matt's really good teams had 2 or 3 top 60 players on them.

I think Stephens has a legit shot if he improves. He was injured one way or another most of last season. He also has come quite a ways on defense since he arrived. He has two more seasons and if he gets his confidence back and improves on being able to make his own shot, Penn State Game, he could find himself having a chance to prove himself on a team with a need. I did say possibility and I don't think that is a huge stretch knowing his skillset thusfar.

Edwards is well on his way. Anyone who doesn't see that is just being a homer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT