ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Just go away.
What I say is true whether you want to hear it or not. I'm amazed at how well Painter does with the talent he gets but after this past season he should have been able to land a couple guys in the top 120. Not getting Phinisee is a bad sign.

What I say is true whether you want to hear it or not. I'm amazed at how well Painter does with the talent he gets but after this past season he should have been able to land a couple guys in the top 120. Not getting Phinisee is a bad sign.
While I agree with you, you're a douche. No one here cares what you think, so why are you still here?

Go back to the IU free boards where you belong.

While I agree with you, you're a douche. No one here cares what you think, so why are you still here?

Go back to the IU free boards where you belong.
Says the guy that lives on this board. I recently got back into these boards due to Romeo which got me really excited for next season. That will die soon and you won't see me again until basketball season. Also, I call it the way I see it. If I'm wrong I'll still come back and take what everyone will throw in my face. I respect Painter and think he's a good coach but well....I've said what I think the future holds for him. On the bright side you have a great football coach

giphy.gif
save some for me.

in reading the above posts, I believe we can all agree that Painter gets maximum production from the players he signs. and if you look at previous years offers, Painter is a keen judge of talent long before other coaches recognize it. but based on his success, is it too much to ask/wonder why he is not able to sign more elite players? is it because he'd rather coach unselfish 3 stars who are more interested in playing team ball for 4 years? or is it that the elite players realize they won't become instant stars in Painter's system?

I remember both Dan Palombizio and Kyle Macy. Why did they leave? the y wanted to be a star, and neither player was going to be a featured star at Purdue. Could this be the mentality of today's elite athletes? they know coming in, they won't be an immediate featured player. Looking at our current roster, I was obvious Tyger was going to be a back-up for probably two years. Okoro probably saw the same big picture. He wasn't going to start over Haarms or Evan. and he would have competition for playing time from Dow and Williams. I don't blame him for picking Oregon.

I'm not bad mouthing Painter, but don't most elite players currently want immediate playing time if not also being a starter? And if that path is blocked, if yo u were an elite player, wouldn't you sign with a school that would promise you would be a starter? isn't that what Zo did to land Porter?

I'll end with a question. if Porter or JJJ signed with Purdue, do you believe either player would have been our featured player? Would either player even start? What type of production do you believe they would have had in our team oriented motion offense? how many minutes would they have played? Would they have shared minutes with Vince and Haas? or would Vince have moved down to SF? with Dakota coming off the bench?

We complain about Painter not being able to sign JJJ. But in reality, if you were JJJ, would you have wanted to play for Purdue in its current no-star system? if JJJ had come to Purdue, would he have been fully utilized?

in reading the above posts, I believe we can all agree that Painter gets maximum production from the players he signs. and if you look at previous years offers, Painter is a keen judge of talent long before other coaches recognize it. but based on his success, is it too much to ask/wonder why he is not able to sign more elite players? is it because he'd rather coach unselfish 3 stars who are more interested in playing team ball for 4 years? or is it that the elite players realize they won't become instant stars in Painter's system?

I remember both Dan Palombizio and Kyle Macy. Why did they leave? the y wanted to be a star, and neither player was going to be a featured star at Purdue. Could this be the mentality of today's elite athletes? they know coming in, they won't be an immediate featured player. Looking at our current roster, I was obvious Tyger was going to be a back-up for probably two years. Okoro probably saw the same big picture. He wasn't going to start over Haarms or Evan. and he would have competition for playing time from Dow and Williams. I don't blame him for picking Oregon.

I'm not bad mouthing Painter, but don't most elite players currently want immediate playing time if not also being a starter? And if that path is blocked, if yo u were an elite player, wouldn't you sign with a school that would promise you would be a starter? isn't that what Zo did to land Porter?

I'll end with a question. if Porter or JJJ signed with Purdue, do you believe either player would have been our featured player? Would either player even start? What type of production do you believe they would have had in our team oriented motion offense? how many minutes would they have played? Would they have shared minutes with Vince and Haas? or would Vince have moved down to SF? with Dakota coming off the bench?

We complain about Painter not being able to sign JJJ. But in reality, if you were JJJ, would you have wanted to play for Purdue in its current no-star system? if JJJ had come to Purdue, would he have been fully utilized?
Doesn't Oregon have quite a bit of talent too that he'll have to compete with for pt? There's no reason he shouldn't be landing some solid 4 star guys every year. I don't know what he's doing wrong but he definitely is. Unless, there is just way more cheating going on than we could ever imagine and Painter truly won't have any of that. I doubt that's it but it could be, who knows?

Doesn't Oregon have quite a bit of talent too that he'll have to compete with for pt? There's no reason he shouldn't be landing some solid 4 star guys every year. I don't know what he's doing wrong but he definitely is. Unless, there is just way more cheating going on than we could ever imagine and Painter truly won't have any of that. I doubt that's it but it could be, who knows?

one poster claimed painter's good point and bad point is the same - he's too dam honest and doesn't lie or make promises. he also runs a clean program. While not being reported to the FBI, I have to believe a lo of other programs are dirty or finding loopholes and are not ethical. Zo landed Porter by giving his dad a job. Many other coaches have used similar strategies in hiring AAU coaches as assistants. While legal, to me that's not really ethical. To me ethics are very important.

I like to believe Izzo is legal. I'm not so sure about his ethics. It's the same with Calipari.

Reactions: Inspector100
one poster claimed painter's good point and bad point is the same - he's too dam honest and doesn't lie or make promises. he also runs a clean program. While not being reported to the FBI, I have to believe a lo of other programs are dirty or finding loopholes and are not ethical. Zo landed Porter by giving his dad a job. Many other coaches have used similar strategies in hiring AAU coaches as assistants. While legal, to me that's not really ethical. To me ethics are very important.

I like to believe Izzo is legal. I'm not so sure about his ethics. It's the same with Calipari.
Cal has definitely cheated in the past but I don't know if he has at UK but I would say he has, I guarantee Izzo has too. I really don't think Romeo's family would take money, that's just not how they seem to be and he's definitely a one and done so there's really no reason to. He's basically an 18 year old Kobe Bryant. He has millions just waiting for him but if he wanted paid to go to college I'm sure he got it. Anyways, it just doesn't make any sense to me that he can't consistently recruit better since he's proven to be a good coach and PU has a pretty big and passionate fan base.

Cal has definitely cheated in the past but I don't know if he has at UK but I would say he has, I guarantee Izzo has too. I really don't think Romeo's family would take money, that's just not how they seem to be and he's definitely a one and done so there's really no reason to. He's basically an 18 year old Kobe Bryant. He has millions just waiting for him but if he wanted paid to go to college I'm sure he got it. Anyways, it just doesn't make any sense to me that he can't consistently recruit better since he's proven to be a good coach and PU has a pretty big and passionate fan base.
Do you not remember the “experts” saying that Purdue was the best team in the country during parts of last season? Must have some good players from time to time.

I'm not buying any of this stuff. The competition for front line play is even stiffer at Oregon. Okoro went there because he could play the center... just like he did in High School. Same position, same play. Nice and comfortable, and the path of least resistance.

If JJJ had come to Purdue, last year's team would have looked very different. I will bet he would have started next to Vince and Haas, if he proved himself in practice. Painter always plays the 5 best players. Odds are he couldn't have beat out Dakota or Vince.

Do you not remember the “experts” saying that Purdue was the best team in the country during parts of last season? Must have some good players from time to time.
Of course you do. I have respect for Painter and his program. I just say shitty things when people are shitty to me

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT