ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue v. Rutgers Game Thread

I said it after Iowa and I'll say it again, vs press the passes have to be quick. When ball was inbounded to Ivey it has to go right back to Morton and operate from there.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and BSIT
Passing or dribbling out of the trap does seem to be an issue. Unfortunately, it was multiple things. We didn't block out on FT's late in the game, couldn't break the trap or allowed the trap to come.

Hopefully, we learn from this and come back hungry every possession.
Not blocking was very costly. Needed that cushion

Or Gillis for muscle, or put Ivey for extra speed/pressure on him. Morton tried, but once he got in rythym down the stretch it was over. They stayed with that matchup too long. It was frustrating to watch.
I wondered about Gillis, but it was one of those split seconds that Matt probably thought he needed Ethan's floor game.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Hopefully, these guys use tonight as a lesson of what happens when you do not come out and play with intensity. They were lucky to escape Iowa and sloppy play cost them again tonight. First, Hunter has got to learn to play like he wants to be there. The fact that he is a senior and it still does not seem to have registered with him that he cannot make lazy lackadaisical passes is mind boggling. Second, Ivey has all the physical skills but he has a looooooong way to go mentally. For a coach's kid, his lack of awareness at times on the court is mind boggling. Far too often he is out of control and clearly has zero plan regarding what he intends to do. Also, the lack of a killer instinct from him in the Iowa game and tonight is a bit disappointing. Lastly, Painter has got to become a better strategist. Both Iowa and Rutgers switched up the defense, brought full court pressure or trapped to push Purdue out of doing what it wanted. Purdue essentially has 9 Big Ten caliber starters this year. Painter has got to be smarter at using that depth to change up tempo or massively turn up the intensity in spurts to shake the game up. Painter is far too wedded to doing this his way. Case in point, Ivey is ridiculously explosive. Very few guys are going to be able to hang with Ivey if they have to guard him in isolation. Why Painter does not clear out one side at let Ivey go one-on-one in isolation is a head scratcher. He clearly knows how to do it because he ran isolation for Trevion twice tonight. I guess that is probably too much to expect from a guy whose teams other than during the Carsen years have consistently struggled against pressure defense. Going back to the baby boilers, many of Purdue's most frustrating losses have come in games where the other team played 3/4 court or full court defense for large portions of the game. Why teams don't use it until Purdue shows they can consistently beat it is beyond me, because the evidence is pretty clear that Painter either has no clue what to teach his guys or just does not practice enough on how to handle pressing or trapping defenses.

He may have been a half second late but there was still easily enough time to get it to him.
You knew they would foul with only 20 seconds in the game. You wanted the ball out of the corner and preferably in Isaiah, Brandon,sasha,Jaden and Eric's hands before the foul...but you stay out of the corner because you knew they would try to steal the inbounds or get a trap and if neither foul. They got the trap...in the corner

You knew they would foul with only 20 seconds in the game. You wanted the ball out of the corner and preferably in Isaiah, Brandon,sasha,Jaden and Eric's hands before the foul...but you stay out of the corner because you knew they would try to steal the inbounds or get a trap and if neither foul. They got the trap...in the corner
Definitely would've preferred Morton wait another second for Sasha to flash middle but if Ivey just makes the quick pass and starts sprinting you're guaranteed a bucket or foul.

Definitely would've preferred Morton wait another second for Sasha to flash middle but if Ivey just makes the quick pass and starts sprinting you're guaranteed a bucket or foul.
I need to watch it again. Not going to foul Ethan if he is out of bounds. I marked it up a win after Harper threw it away. Boy was I wrong

Because the context of his post wrong. We are still a top team with a great shot at a deep run

But let's step off the ledge right?
Stop with the step off the ledge nonsense. It is a fact that everything good that happens is always credited to Painter. Anytime something bad happens it's not his fault. Some of us are willing to be honest both ways. I saw what I saw. I'm not on a ledge about it, just called like it is. It's no coincidence that some of us watched the Iowa game and saw the weakness. I'm not going to ignore the elephant in the room. We're not a bad team, but we're not a #1 team either. We benefitted from a high ranking at the start and got there by attrition. It was nice for a few days, but there is work to do on Painters part. Work that he didn't do between the Iowa and Rutgers games.

Are you kidding?? Without Ivey we lose this game by 20.

Selfish? He handed Sasha and Isaiah beautiful looks off of his penetration and they missed because of course they did. He basically had to play 3 on 5 down the stretch because Hunter/Morton are zeroes on offense. You saw it when Trevion was swarmed by 3 guys too. That lineup us not functional on offense.
Been saying it for years! Painter recruits guards who can shoot open 3’s and feed the post. His only recruits who could create just happened to be his best recruits. Ivey is the only one who can do that. The rest just work the ball around the perimeter and hope they can throw it into the post or launch a 3. They’re small and not physical.

Been saying it for years! Painter recruits guards who can shoot open 3’s and feed the post. His only recruits who could create just happened to be his best recruits. Ivey is the only one who can do that. The rest just work the ball around the perimeter and hope they can throw it into the post or launch a 3. They’re small and not physical.
Painter recruits players that fit his system. How are you so dense to this? The rest of your post is such clueless nonsense that I'm starting to think you're a closet iu fan that has been trolling this site for years pretending to be a Purdue fan.

Or better yet, if you think you know better than Painter, call in to his show or email him and be sure to let us know how it responds. You think you have all the answers, sack up and put it to the test.

We made the run to go up 10. IT missed a 3 from the corner, in and out. If we go up 13 that changes things. Missed free throws a killer 68% and back to 26% from 3. Can’t wait for Sunday to put this behind us.

We made the run to go up 10. IT missed a 3 from the corner, in and out. If we go up 13 that changes things. Missed free throws a killer 68% and back to 26% from 3. Can’t wait for Sunday to put this behind us.
Sunday is going to be very telling.

What also I find hilarious is some on here say we need to recruit more like Duke yet they lost to OSU and those same few give Duke a 'pass' yet the world has ended and the season is over because we lost.

Painter recruits players that fit his system. How are you so dense to this? The rest of your post is such clueless nonsense that I'm starting to think you're a closet iu fan that has been trolling this site for years pretending to be a Purdue fan.

Or better yet, if you think you know better than Painter, call in to his show or email him and be sure to let us know how it responds. You think you have all the answers, sack up and put it to the test.

Well, we'll see if his "System" gets him a NC (but I know you don't care about that). He better decide the 5'11, 150 lb guards don't cut it in the B10.

Well, we'll see if his "System" gets him a NC (but I know you don't care about that).
Who says I don't care? Just because I don't let it define my life like you do, doesn't mean I don't 'care'. But why would I expect you to not twist things around. It's pretty much all you do I now realize.

Stop with the step off the ledge nonsense. It is a fact that everything good that happens is always credited to Painter. Anytime something bad happens it's not his fault. Some of us are willing to be honest both ways. I saw what I saw. I'm not on a ledge about it, just called like it is. It's no coincidence that some of us watched the Iowa game and saw the weakness. I'm not going to ignore the elephant in the room. We're not a bad team, but we're not a #1 team either. We benefitted from a high ranking at the start and got there by attrition. It was nice for a few days, but there is work to do on Painters part. Work that he didn't do between the Iowa and Rutgers games.
There were glaring issues during the Iowa game that were not corrected before last night. You are correct about our rise to the top. We can get back there, but only by earning it and not waiting for another team to drop.

Reactions: boiler-deuce
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT