ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue v. Michigan State Game Thread

A lot of folks are posting about oour offensive production in the second half. The truth is that we played better defense than offense. MSU really struggled to score in the second half, and committed 14 turnovers (I think that was the count). Defense won that game for us. We scored less than 30 points in the second half, and that won't win many games without smothering defense to go with it.

I honestly think we have unexpectedly kicked MSU's ass more than any other opponents. More upsets and bigger upsets that any of the other BIG teams we play. Kind'a nice, I think.
I think it was 3 or 4 of the first possessions of the 2nd half that MSU turned the ball over

I agree with you about the defense, Mathboy - Purdue outscored Michigan State 39-23 in the second half. Getting back in the game with a really good defensive run at the start of the second half was certainly one of the keys....there was a 3-minute scoreless drought, and Purdue held them to 7 points through the first 9 minutes of the second half. Frankly, I think it got the Spartans off their game somewhat. That's where they really miss a player like Cassius Winston, IMO.

I think some of the Michigan State followers are thinking they may miss the NCAA tournament this year, but I would still expect them to be there....and potentially be a tough draw if they figure some things out....a similar position in which Purdue could be.....though I like the Boilers' trajectory right now....need to keep it going next week.

We shall see.
Purdue picked up the D intensity no doubt. That said when MSU shot, they were not good shots even with the increased D by Purdue. "PART" of the effectiveness was the human tendency to relax when you think the battle is over. I also have NO DOUBT IZZO was reminding his players that Purdue was going to make a run and to be ready for a 20 minute war, but like this is a problem that ALL coaches face even though they try to remind and get people ready to not have it occur...it does. The game IMO has a lot of mental parts...

Last edited:
wonder why? I posted the thread about the flex cut looking for the IU fans to give me an idea how often it is used since I don't watch them much. It has always been my understanding that IU fans know more about basketball than Purdue fans
Why wouldn't they know more. Elite, Blue Bloods, Banners, .......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT