ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue is in CBS Very Early Top 25+1 Ranking

arcb102000

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
I am not surprised that Purdue made it based upon recent developments. In fact, it is noteworthy only for the publicity as opposed to having any meaningful significance - that will be determined on the court.

What surprises me is the presence of a number of teams higher in the ranking. I cannot see some of them at all.

Of course, as a famous movie mogul once pointed out: some publicity is better than no publicity.

That is surprising only 26th, imo about 10 spots to low. I'm thinking early season in the 15-18 range, by end of big ten season 10ish, after NCAA tourney #1!

Reactions: rasrar
I thought we were in the 30-35 or so range prior to Swanigan, so 20-25 seems about right to me. This team still needs to prove something in the backcourt, but if they can (especially Hill going Octeus on us and Stephens hitting his potential) we could be higher than that.

But we aren't 20-25, we are 26th and on the cusp.

I know, "pre-season ranking are stupid, etc etc etc, but..."

I posted Jon Rothstein's CBS Sports preseason rankings the other day, and he had us at #22 BEFORE Biggie committed. I figured we'd be closer to 15, and looking at that ranking I think we should be ~18th'ish, right with the Wiscobiscuits.

Overall it doesn't matter AT ALL, except to nerds like us.

This is just the classic case of underrating Purdue. Wisky, Michigan, IU, MSU all ahead of Purdue? There is NO WAY that will happen. Purdue will finish above two of those teams at the very least.

I mean, I know Wisconsin was just in the Nat'l 'ship, but come on! They just lost Kaminsky, Dekker and Jackson. I love Koenig and Hayes, and think they are both studs, but I would be shocked if Purdue doesn't finish ahead of them this year.

This is just the classic case of underrating Purdue. Wisky, Michigan, IU, MSU all ahead of Purdue? There is NO WAY that will happen. Purdue will finish above two of those teams at the very least.

I mean, I know Wisconsin was just in the Nat'l 'ship, but come on! They just lost Kaminsky, Dekker and Jackson. I love Koenig and Hayes, and think they are both studs, but I would be shocked if Purdue doesn't finish ahead of them this year.

Unlike football. It doesn't mean anything. You play well you will move up the rankings.

We lose one piece that isn't exactly essential for our style offense. PG in motion just needs not to screw up. That's why Ronnie failed he didn't understand his role, your role as PG here is to assist not score a bunch of points. The issue with Purdue PG situation since lew jack was they just don't get it. The PG we have signed in as freshmen are the type of people that play domination in Call of Duty and just run and gun instead trying to steal or maintain bases.

Reactions: woggy718
We lose one piece that isn't exactly essential for our style offense. PG in motion just needs not to screw up. That's why Ronnie failed he didn't understand his role, your role as PG here is to assist not score a bunch of points. The issue with Purdue PG situation since lew jack was they just don't get it. The PG we have signed in as freshmen are the type of people that play domination in Call of Duty and just run and gun instead trying to steal or maintain bases.
Ronnie just thought he was better than he was, if he was an elite guard I don't think Painter would have had any problems at all with him or any other PG scoring a bunch of points.

I am not surprised that Purdue made it based upon recent developments. In fact, it is noteworthy only for the publicity as opposed to having any meaningful significance - that will be determined on the court.

What surprises me is the presence of a number of teams higher in the ranking. I cannot see some of them at all.

I suspect the reluctance to rank Purdue any higher at this point is the generally accepted (at least I think it is) idea that PG is probably the single most important position on the floor at the college level and Purdue has a big question mark there.

If they had a great PG they'd be a lot higher in people's minds. Adding Swanigan, though he is an elite talent, is merely adding to what was already a strength of low post play on the team.

I suspect the reluctance to rank Purdue any higher at this point is the generally accepted (at least I think it is) idea that PG is probably the single most important position on the floor at the college level and Purdue has a big question mark there.

If they had a great PG they'd be a lot higher in people's minds. Adding Swanigan, though he is an elite talent, is merely adding to what was already a strength of low post play on the team.
Adding Swanigan has opened up a depth issue at all positions with multiple guys being able to play multiple positions and drawing mismatches. In some cases we may be forced to give up a shooter for PJ or Hill, but most teams we should be fine against moving guys down a position and create multiple mismatches on both ends of the floor. I think that is what excited most people. Our defensive switching and funneling quicker guards into double teams or AJ will only get better once Swanigan has some experience with it. We shall see however. I am not ready to put Hill ahead of PJ let alone as starters/25 minute guy, until I see how he defends and his ability to provide an offensive threat such if only by driving and drawing fouls and making free throws. If he can do that, then our issue at point won't be an issue at all and everything else should be rosy as can be. I can't wait.

This is all about readership...i dont know what IU was ranked in this poll, but other polls have the in top 20. WTF....They have 1 frosh big man and that is going to correct all their problems. I dont think so.

Reactions: Schnelk

I posted Jon Rothstein's CBS Sports preseason rankings the other day, and he had us at #22 BEFORE Biggie committed. I figured we'd be closer to 15, and looking at that ranking I think we should be ~18th'ish, right with the Wiscobiscuits.

Relax guys, 26th is the perfect place to be. I love the under-rated Purdue teams. This team is not just under-rated, but should breeze to the Sweet 16 and beyond. Biggie is the missing component to bring us that evasive NCAA championship. On a side note, Purdue underdog teams are great teams to bet on. I was 19-7 betting on Purdue bb last season and increased my account by 500%.

Reactions: KGBoilerfan
This is all about readership...i dont know what IU was ranked in this poll, but other polls have the in top 20. WTF....They have 1 frosh big man and that is going to correct all their problems. I dont think so.
Lucky for us that the polls that count will be determined by the games played.

AJ Hammons and Isaac Haas will eat the freshman big man's lunch. IU is in deep shit when these BOILERMAKERS come to town. I can't wait for that game.

This team is not just under-rated, but should breeze to the Sweet 16 and beyond.

2 seeds in the NCAA tournament are barely better than 50/50 to reach the Sweet 16. There are probably 2 or 3 teams in the NCAA tournament any given year that can expect to "breeze to the Sweet 16". NCAA tournament success has a lot to do with luck. Luck in matchups, injuries, how the ball bounces, etc. Unless you can control the luck, no team can expect to breeze right through the first weekend.

Of course, as a famous movie mogul once pointed out: some publicity is better than no publicity.

2 seeds in the NCAA tournament are barely better than 50/50 to reach the Sweet 16. There are probably 2 or 3 teams in the NCAA tournament any given year that can expect to "breeze to the Sweet 16". NCAA tournament success has a lot to do with luck. Luck in matchups, injuries, how the ball bounces, etc. Unless you can control the luck, no team can expect to breeze right through the first weekend.
You make many valid points, and with that having been said, I believe that Purdue will breeze to the Sweet 16 and beyond. Our talent can go head to head, toe to toe with anybody. This is the year where it would be great if everybody saw the glass half full, and really got behind our team. Everybody should be super pumped for this season. We should fear nobody...this is gonna be a great year!

You make many valid points, and with that having been said, I believe that Purdue will breeze to the Sweet 16 and beyond. Our talent can go head to head, toe to toe with anybody. This is the year where it would be great if everybody saw the glass half full, and really got behind our team. Everybody should be super pumped for this season. We should fear nobody...this is gonna be a great year!

I love optimism. I just try to not let people get irrational exuberance over what to expect in a single elimination tournament. Tons of elite teams with talent that can go toe to toe with anybody have failed to reach the Sweet 16. You can have a phenomenal team and season and still get bounced in the first weekend. All it takes is one hot shooting opponent or cold shooting night from your own team and bye bye, season over.

Blockhead, please don't come over here and try to temper our enthusiasm. Don't you have something else better to do? It's a beautiful day here. Why don't you go outside to play?

I love optimism. I just try to not let people get irrational exuberance over what to expect in a single elimination tournament. Tons of elite teams with talent that can go toe to toe with anybody have failed to reach the Sweet 16. You can have a phenomenal team and season and still get bounced in the first weekend. All it takes is one hot shooting opponent or cold shooting night from your own team and bye bye, season over.
So do you have a PhD in dreariness? Nothing irrational with fans envisioning good things. Should teams not play just because they could lose? It's part of the deal and understood. There's risk in everything in life. I guess some like to dwell on the possibilities of bad instead of good. Duh!

So do you have a PhD in dreariness? Nothing irrational with fans envisioning good things. Should teams not play just because they could lose? It's part of the deal and understood. There's risk in everything in life. I guess some like to dwell on the possibilities of bad instead of good. Duh!

No. I'm an optimist. I'm just not into the sort of optimism that says a team is a failure when they romp through the regular season and have a great year and get upset in the tourney.

Too many fans think NCAA tournament success is the only measure of a successful season. They ignore the 30+ games before that which are far more indicative of how good a team is.

So I'm not dreary, I'm just into being realistically optimistic. If you need a deep tourney run to validate your team, you will often be disappointed because of all the luck required. I'm all about enjoying the entirety of the season.

Reactions: Frankie611
No. I'm an optimist. I'm just not into the sort of optimism that says a team is a failure when they romp through the regular season and have a great year and get upset in the tourney.

Too many fans think NCAA tournament success is the only measure of a successful season. They ignore the 30+ games before that which are far more indicative of how good a team is.

So I'm not dreary, I'm just into being realistically optimistic. If you need a deep tourney run to validate your team, you will often be disappointed because of all the luck required. I'm all about enjoying the entirety of the season.

I agree you can be successful without a deep run in the tournament but that is how success is measured any more in this sport. That's just the way it is. I may be selfish but I want that success also.

In response to dreary, the sender of the message rarely sees how they are perceived, it's the receivers who form those opinions, even if it wasn't intended. It's like body odor, the stinker rarely thinks they smell:)

Reactions: boiler800

That's nice.

I'd like to have some NCAA Tourney success.

As Purdue fans, we hang our hats on our Regular Season/B1G Conf success, and have always had to. That's bc we have no Tourney success, at least not as much as many others. Most B1G Championships?? Check. Head to Head winning record vs all others in the B1G (-osu)?? vs IU and MSU and WIS etc?? Check. 3rd most all-time wins in the B1G?? Check....etc etc etc.

NCAA Final Four - none in 35 yrs
NCAA Nattys - none besides a Helms.

We are known as one of the best programs NOT to have a Natty. Regular season success is nice, for sure, but I'd like some NCAAT success to go along with our great history and tradition. I'm not one to make predictions and declarations like "breezing", but I'm also sick and tired of hanging my PUR hat on our "regular season" and Conf prowess.

Trust me, UK fans would have rather ended last season being 30-10 WITH a Natty, than winning 38 games straight and losing in the FF. B1G & B1GT Championships and NCAAT success, that's what matters.

Reactions: B1Gboilermaker

Unfortunately it does matter more than it should. Football is the worst case of "where you start determines how you finish". Bball is better because there are more games. However, if you are on the outside looking in to start, you really have to tear it up against a very good out of conference schedule to get in. If we are at least "receiving votes" we should be ok as long as we do not crap the bed pre-season like last year. Make no mistake, if we do not have a good spot in the polls at the end of the year, we will not get a good seed in the tourney.

AJ Hammons and Isaac Haas will eat the freshman big man's lunch. IU is in deep shit when these BOILERMAKERS come to town. I can't wait for that game.
Well, that's if Thon Maker decides not to come mid-season to IU. Of course, the overall big difference though will be that Painter knows how to coach defense, whereas Crean has no concept of it. Crean's objective is to run you out of the gym in transition. With Maker, who is 7'1" and very athletic, IU will have UK/Duke type talent, but must live with a very mediocre coach. A good coach could make IU a top 5 team (with Maker)... sigh.

Well, that's if Thon Maker decides not to come mid-season to IU. Of course, the overall big difference though will be that Painter knows how to coach defense, whereas Crean has no concept of it. Crean's objective is to run you out of the gym in transition. With Maker, who is 7'1" and very athletic, IU will have UK/Duke type talent, but must live with a very mediocre coach. A good coach could make IU a top 5 team (with Maker)... sigh.
Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!! I needed a good laugh. I'll take the BOILERMAKERS and you can take the Hoosiers with or without Maker. They wouldn't be a top 5 team with Maker, or anybody else.

The addition of Maker (if he decides to come) will push the Hoosiers into the top 10 nationally, by the so-called experts. First, it will be a strong indicator that IU has really sold out to win. The kid is only playing college ball for half a year. Nice student athlete. Second, we will have endless asshats parading that ranking around here as though it really meant something. What it will do is give the Hoosiers further to fall this year. More dashed hopes, etc.

It is not that I wish ill to any IU fan. I actually like the school. I just like to see the arrogent taken down a noch. Anybody that using a preseason rating, based on incoming freshmen who haven't played a minute of college ball, is really reaching. Furthermore to use it as "proof" of superiority is rediculous, and makes that fan ready for the take down in my books. I may take the time to track any asshat coming on here and bragging about preseason rankings. It will be fun to call them on it later.

:cool:

That's nice.

I'd like to have some NCAA Tourney success.

Obviously. Nobody suggested otherwise. I'm just pointing out I wouldn't go "expecting" to make a deep run. It's always a pleasant surprise when it happens, but since it requires luck to do it, sometimes luck isn't on your side regardless of how good your team is.

All you can do is have a really good or great team and hope fortune bounces your way in March/April.

Did he just say UK/Duke talent?

I'd take Dukes bench over IUs starting 5 with Maker. Maybe that's what he was implying though.

The addition of Maker (if he decides to come) will push the Hoosiers into the top 10 nationally, by the so-called experts. First, it will be a strong indicator that IU has really sold out to win. The kid is only playing college ball for half a year. Nice student athlete. Second, we will have endless asshats parading that ranking around here as though it really meant something. What it will do is give the Hoosiers further to fall this year. More dashed hopes, etc.

It is not that I wish ill to any IU fan. I actually like the school. I just like to see the arrogent taken down a noch. Anybody that using a preseason rating, based on incoming freshmen who haven't played a minute of college ball, is really reaching. Furthermore to use it as "proof" of superiority is rediculous, and makes that fan ready for the take down in my books. I may take the time to track any asshat coming on here and bragging about preseason rankings. It will be fun to call them on it later.

We have already heard how the national rankings mean everything. Even preseason rankings. If the 'experts' rank them in the Top 10, watch for crean to immediately call a special event at ass hall so that the fans can rush the floor and the players can cut down the nets. There's no reason to play the games at that point. It can only lead to disappointment.

Dude GTFO with this non sense. The SAME could be said about Painter with Swanigan. Don't resort to that garbage when you have zero clue (I don't either, but nothing has pointed to any funny business going on).

Plus, if he comes out mid year, he'll be in college for a year and a half. His guardian has said as much.

Dude GTFO with this non sense. The SAME could be said about Painter with Swanigan. Don't resort to that garbage when you have zero clue (I don't either, but nothing has pointed to any funny business going on).

Plus, if he comes out mid year, he'll be in college for a year and a half. His guardian has said as much.

Snuuuuze, I did not interpret mathboy's post to mean that Maker's recruitment involved payola from IU. What (I believe) he meant was that it is quite possible that if Maker were to attend IU, it would only be a one-semester ternure. That sort of goes against the student-athlete meme that IU likes to promote for itself (as does the resrt of the B1G.) There is absolutely no guarantee what Maker would do even if he chooses to enroll at IU. He would be under no obligation to remain more than one semester, the comments of family members regardless. It might be possible that he stays longer, but there are no guarantees. NBA money is a powerful attraction, even if earned for a short time.He might well conclude that injury-risk or another factor would make an earlier jump wise for him even if the family disagrees. He would be of adult age.

To be clear: I hve no idea wat he will/will not do and make no pretense about that. However, to come here and state an 18 month tenure for him in Bloomington is certain, though without any real support at this time, is simply a statement that you cannot make with any accuracy.

Snuuuuze, I did not interpret mathboy's post to mean that Maker's recruitment involved payola from IU. What (I believe) he meant was that it is quite possible that if Maker were to attend IU, it would only be a one-semester ternure. That sort of goes against the student-athlete meme that IU likes to promote for itself (as does the resrt of the B1G.) There is absolutely no guarantee what Maker would do even if he chooses to enroll at IU. He would be under no obligation to remain more than one semester, the comments of family members regardless. It might be possible that he stays longer, but there are no guarantees. NBA money is a powerful attraction, even if earned for a short time.He might well conclude that injury-risk or another factor would make an earlier jump wise for him even if the family disagrees. He would be of adult age.

To be clear: I hve no idea wat he will/will not do and make no pretense about that. However, to come here and state an 18 month tenure for him in Bloomington is certain, though without any real support at this time, is simply a statement that you cannot make with any accuracy.
Fair enough. If that's what he meant, then I apologize for my reply. Typically when I read "win at all costs" I think of shady type stuff and I thought the student athlete stuff was a separate point. Although, regarding the student athlete comment, IIRC, IU has had a very good APR under Crean.

Yeah the comment about Maker staying a year and a half in school came from Maker's guardian. I believe he said Thon could come mid season, stay for a year and a half or come in 2016 and stay one year. That's all they said, I don't really have an opinion on how long he would stay but I would typically lean toward your comment that a player like himself who would be drafted really high based on potential alone is too much to pass up for most.

I don't know the rule well enough but I thought Heller stated it a while ago and it was something like they need to be a year removed from high school or something to that nature. Could be way off, but that's the way I remember it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT