ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue at Northwestern MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

You can’t be this dumb. It was clear from the jump that the deep and intermediate passes weren’t gonna be a thing from either QB.

Why the problems at the goal line? Well, NU knew neither QB was gonna pass. Kinda helps. Card is not Oconnell throwing the ball. These two guys were not card.
The first time we tried an outside pitch from the goaline, it worked and got us a TD. Just a shame it took us 57 minutes and like 10 attempts to figure that out!

We can get bigger, faster and stronger but if this coaching staff is still making dumbass moves, it won’t matter!

Also, I do t really care what Brohms recruiting rankings were…he delivered 2 top 10-12 seasons in program history the past 2 years. He got it done. Recruiting rankings only matter so much. If you play a bad defensive scheme and execute poorly on offense it doesn’t matter how many stars you have, you’re still gunna suck.

The first time we tried an outside pitch from the goaline, it worked and got us a TD. Just a shame it took us 57 minutes and like 10 attempts to figure that out!

We can get bigger, faster and stronger but if this coaching staff is still making dumbass moves, it won’t matter!

Also, I do t really care what Brohms recruiting rankings were…he delivered 2 top 10-12 seasons in program history the past 2 years. He got it done. Recruiting rankings only matter so much. If you play a bad defensive scheme and execute poorly on offense it doesn’t matter how many stars you have, you’re still gunna suck.
Completely agree with you on the short yardage stuff. At least try to mix it up. Do we not have a big package? How about a play action roll out with our mobile qbs? Fb or at least a TE lined up as a FB? We did see some wildcat type runs today but like you said, why has it taken this long to try to find other ways to run the ball in short yardage?

Reactions: pboiler18
Completely agree with you on the short yardage stuff. At least try to mix it up. Do we not have a big package? How about a play action roll out with our mobile qbs? Fb or at least a TE lined up as a FB? We did see some wildcat type runs today but like you said, why has it taken this long to try to find other ways to run the ball in short yardage?
11 games later and we still don’t have it figured out.

Spring ball, fall ball and 11 weeks of practices and 1 game later the staff still doesn’t see that Browne is the 2nd best QB on the team.

That says a lot too!

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
11 games later and we still don’t have it figured out.

Spring ball, fall ball and 11 weeks of practices and 1 game later the staff still doesn’t see that Browne is the 2nd best QB on the team.

That says a lot too!
I think you kind of summed up my disappointment for this game.

I do see some good to even great things, such as an aggressive front 7 that has produced a ton of sacks. The staff though overall has just too many head scratching moments for my liking, most of which go back to being ill-prepared.

Off the strength of the 2019 class and because of Aidan Oconnell. His 2020 and 2021 classes were a joke. This classes were true freshmen and true sophomores in 2021 genius. They are the reason for what you’re seeing today. They are the reason that when Spencer Holstege leaves, there’s no game ready linemen in the program to take his place.

Cory trice was a good corner. Who was the second best brohm recruit he ever developed at corner?

Who was the best offensive tackle? Second best linebacker?

Recruiting and developing was a joke. George karlaftis and Aidan Oconnell were dope though

Reactions: z_one
No,no…we only lost because we can’t out NIL Northwestern! Give this coach more money and he’ll be great!
Who just beat Wisconsin.

You’re just a sorry ass brohm fan dude. Your boy was sorry as **** his first four years. Lost to 4-8 Rutgers and 4-8 Nebraska his first year. Lost to eastern Michigan his second year and got clowned by Michigan state and Minnesota in the weeks after the Ohio state upset. Opened the 2019 season with a loss to nevada. Went 4-8.

But he did luck into having a guy who had a commitable offer to alabama and Clemson right across the street from Ross ade and to having a throw it deep kid walk on. Of course, he didn’t think said kid was better than Jack plummer. But when he was 21-26 and Jack plummer was standing there looking like a dope tied 6-6 with Illinois, brohm put Oconnell in and finished his tenure 15-7. 15-7 to finish a whopping two games over .500.

They played northwestern without their starting QB and turned to a true freshman seeing his first action. That’s why they lost to northwestern.

By the way, I’m not like you, so I don’t have to post to someone else to make a point to you.

Reactions: z_one
Who just beat Wisconsin.

You’re just a sorry ass brohm fan dude. Your boy was sorry as **** his first four years. Lost to 4-8 Rutgers and 4-8 Nebraska his first year. Lost to eastern Michigan his second year and got clowned by Michigan state and Minnesota in the weeks after the Ohio state upset. Opened the 2019 season with a loss to nevada. Went 4-8.

But he did luck into having a guy who had a commitable offer to alabama and Clemson right across the street from Ross ade and to having a throw it deep kid walk on. Of course, he didn’t think said kid was better than Jack plummer. But when he was 21-26 and Jack plummer was standing there looking like a dope tied 6-6 with Illinois, brohm put Oconnell in and finished his tenure 15-7. 15-7 to finish a whopping two games over .500.

They played northwestern without their starting QB and turned to a true freshman seeing his first action. That’s why they lost to northwestern.

By the way, I’m not like you, so I don’t have to post to someone else to make a point to you.
I still don’t understand how Brohm taking this team to a bowl in 2017 coming off of a 3 win 2016 has anything to do with the current coach.

You also forget that we lost our SR QB and All American WR on the same play 2 games into 2019 that led to that 4-8 record.

You’re cherry picking “facts” about a coach who was really good for us to try and make excuses for a coach and staff who have looked out coached and underprepared all year.

You’ll blame NIL, schedules, Brohm, etc 2 years from now when he still can’t get it done because after 11 games it’s there…HE is not a good coach. HE does not have a good staff. HE does not make in game adjustments or utilize the talent he has.

It’s that simple. He has 2 years to improve. I’m certainly not holding my breath…the dude is out of his depth…substantially. He had every opportunity to win that game yesterday and the same issues we’ve had all year reared their ugly heads over and over…and here’s a hint….the issues weren’t talent!

I still don’t understand how Brohm taking this team to a bowl in 2017 coming off of a 3 win 2016 has anything to do with the current coach.

You also forget that we lost our SR QB and All American WR on the same play 2 games into 2019 that led to that 4-8 record.

You’re cherry picking “facts” about a coach who was really good for us to try and make excuses for a coach and staff who have looked out coached and underprepared all year.

You’ll blame NIL, schedules, Brohm, etc 2 years from now when he still can’t get it done because after 11 games it’s there…HE is not a good coach. HE does not have a good staff. HE does not make in game adjustments or utilize the talent he has.

It’s that simple. He has 2 years to improve. I’m certainly not holding my breath…the dude is out of his depth…substantially. He had every opportunity to win that game yesterday and the same issues we’ve had all year reared their ugly heads over and over…and here’s a hint….the issues weren’t talent!
Far easier schedule. Left with similar talent returning.

See, in your love for brohm you jump right to sindelar and Moore. But Wilson, Mbow, card, Scourton, Hartwig at the beginning of the year.. it’s just win baby. You have two standards.

No I’m straight up giving you facts about that coach. He had horrific losses and was 19-25 after four seasons. His 15-7 finish brought him to a whopping 2 games over .500. You all will complain about Harrell but old boy hired Bob Diaco.

If it looks like it does now 11 games into next year, he will have dug himself a big hole and his seat will be scorching hot. However, I think we get to 5 wins with a significantly more difficult schedule and that the roster is looking to be complete by 2025. Brohm never completed his roster.

He was riding a true freshman QB seeing his first action. You just don’t know what you think you know.

Who did you want? I bet you a dollar they looked at our NIL situation and future schedules and laughed their ass off. “Mike, I’m a good coach. Everyone knows I’m a good coach. If all that’s coming for me right now is the Purdue job, I’ll wait.”

How do you think that pitch went. “Well, you see Todd. We are going to give you the opportunity to take the money every basketball player gets and go offer that money up front to ONE football player.” I bet they laughed in his face. He had to buy low and I respect Walters immensely for being up to the challenge and having to coach Jalen Grant because that’s all Purdue was going to get him. Jalen Grant got his ass kicked all year. Probably a great guy. Not a big ten caliber starting lineman

• Haha
Let’s try to give Meredith a break. It was one game with …lackluster… blocking and playcalling. If initial shaky qb play was cause to give up on someone, Card would have been done in the first game…

Spotted him …

Remember Austin Johnson? The guy who was getting his legs pushed out from under him on the goal line against Fresno state? Literally the least effective run blocker I’ve ever seen play for Purdue

Hadn’t seen him much in a LONG time. Yesterday injuries were so bad he was out there at guard. Wanna guess when I saw him? If you guessed when we were getting stuffed on 3rd and 4th down you guessed right

I find this "discussion" about coaching merits and players laughable. Brohm can be credited with bringing back enjoyable football to watch for Purdue fans and filling Ross Ade Stadium. He wasn't a genius coach and many of his players lacked discipline directly causing losses in otherwise won games. Walters is a first year head coach and first year at Purdue with a difficult schedule. Neither won as many games as they could have. Much of the problems with this team also existed in the past with Brohm, e.g. first and short or goal line situations.

If you want to see what a "real" coach should be like, look at Jerry Kill and his dominating win at New Mexico State against Auburn which curb-stomped us in that bowl game. There's a real coach with a team certainly much "less talented" than the present Purdue team that handily won against a respected opponent. It's too bad about his past medical issues. I believe he also beat Purdue when at that non-powerhouse program at Northern Illinois . With his return now to football, it's too bad that he's not the Purdue coach as he can accomplish much with little.

Reactions: drewjin and z_one
I find this "discussion" about coaching merits and players laughable. Brohm can be credited with bringing back enjoyable football to watch for Purdue fans and filling Ross Ade Stadium. He wasn't a genius coach and many of his players lacked discipline directly causing losses in otherwise won games. Walters is a first year head coach and first year at Purdue with a difficult schedule. Neither won as many games as they could have. Much of the problems with this team also existed in the past with Brohm, e.g. first and short or goal line situations.

If you want to see what a "real" coach should be like, look at Jerry Kill and his dominating win at New Mexico State against Auburn which curb-stomped us in that bowl game. There's a real coach with a team certainly much "less talented" than the present Purdue team that handily won against a respected opponent. It's too bad about his past medical issues. I believe he also beat Purdue when at that non-powerhouse program at Northern Illinois . With his return now to football, it's too bad that he's not the Purdue coach as he can accomplish much with little.
I think Walters is a real coach. He had Marquis Wilson at a 74 in pff and a 76 in coverage. But he’s out.

He has Thienemann ready to get national freshman of the year. He took two good players and got them to the top two edge players in the big ten. Cole Brevard is starting to be more than just a big body.

He’s now playing two freshman corners and the second level has killed us all year. Additionally, free (didn’t get money) transfers at DT and DE have done next to nothing and often been a liability,

Many of those players like cam Allen will be replaced by players who may be better them on day one. Koy Beasley is probably already better than cam Allen

Meredith was awful
At least he was completing passes at 5-7. It’s not his fault that the playcalling / receivers not being able to get open limited it to short yardage.

Again, there have been numerous games where Card was truly awful as well…

At least he was completing passes at 5-7. It’s not his fault that the playcalling / receivers not being able to get open limited it to short yardage.

Again, there have been numerous games where Card was truly awful as well…
The play calling likely accounted for his limitations as a passer. All his completions were short ones

Spotted him …

Remember Austin Johnson? The guy who was getting his legs pushed out from under him on the goal line against Fresno state? Literally the least effective run blocker I’ve ever seen play for Purdue

Hadn’t seen him much in a LONG time. Yesterday injuries were so bad he was out there at guard. Wanna guess when I saw him? If you guessed when we were getting stuffed on 3rd and 4th down you guessed right
You’re owning yourself here. This was a Walters portal guy and Walters made the choice to play him.

Remember when Walters moved Mbow to tackle and ran off Eric Miller?

You gotta stop cherry picking data points.

You should go on back over to your On3 echo chamber.

You’re owning yourself here. This was a Walters portal guy and Walters made the choice to play him.

Remember when Walters moved Mbow to tackle and ran off Eric Miller?

You gotta stop cherry picking data points.

You should go on back over to your On3 echo chamber.
Yes, Walters took this guy cause this is what you get when you don’t pay. Nebraska got Ben Scott.

Also, when Holstege left, where were the guards inside the program?

Yes, Walters took this guy cause this is what you get when you don’t pay. Nebraska got Ben Scott.

Also, when Holstege left, where were the guards inside the program?
Mbow was a guard. For whatever reason we slid him to tackle and ran off Miller.

Mbow was a guard. For whatever reason we slid him to tackle and ran off Miller.
You know that we ran off miller?

No dude. By year seven there should have been multiple tackles and guards who could play. You just named one guard? Okay. Who was the other guard when Holstege left? Guards 3 and 4 when Mbow and Holstege were starters. You mean to tell me chooch Williams didn’t have one backup guard who was the next man up?

Let me guess. This is where you blame it all on Dominic Reno

You know that we ran off miller?

No dude. By year seven there should have been multiple tackles and guards who could play. You just named one guard? Okay. Who was the other guard when Holstege left? Guards 3 and 4 when Mbow and Holstege were starters. You mean to tell me chooch Williams didn’t have one backup guard who was the next man up?

Let me guess. This is where you blame it all on Dominic Reno
I blame it on the current coach who ran off a starting tackle by shifting a guard there.

Then he didn’t fill the hole he created.

Outside of Tiller, nobody has ever gotten line talent here. That will
Likely continue with this coach. So what do you do? You adjust…not run the same shit over and over that doesn’t work.

You’re out here thinking the fan base wants Walters to be Saban. The fan base wants a bowl. That’s it. With all the very very average teams on the schedule winning 6 shouldn’t have been a feat. This staff, our schemes and all made it impossible.

You know im not a Purdue alum. You know the school I went to. You don’t think I know what good football looks like?

You think I have the same expectations for Purdue as I have for that program? I wasn’t expecting miracles this year but I did expect competency from the coaches and the schemes. We got neither. Kill at New Mexico State is getting a ton out of a roster of guys a school like Purdue would never offer.

What do you think changes if Walters got 3 top 30 classes? We still won’t have the guys to single cover most of the WRs we play and be successful. We still won’t have the DL to consistently win on the LOS. We’ll still likely not get good LBs.

What Brohm did was develop QBs, being in a good skill group and run an offense that made us competitive. He’s gone. He’s not coming back…but I don’t think it’s wrong to hold a guy to that standard. We are FAR from winning football and you can’t put scheme flaws and lack of adjustments at the feet of the old coach.

Next year when we’re 3-8 I’ll let you come back and tell me I was right, again.

Reactions: goodboiler
I blame it on the current coach who ran off a starting tackle by shifting a guard there.

Likely continue with this coach. So what do you do? You adjust…not run the same shit over and over that doesn’t work.

You’re out here thinking the fan base wants Walters to be Saban. The fan base wants a bowl. That’s it. With all the very very average teams on the schedule winning 6 shouldn’t have been a feat. This staff, our schemes and all made it impossible.

You know im not a Purdue alum. You know the school I went to. You don’t think I know what good football looks like?

You think I have the same expectations for Purdue as I have for that program? I wasn’t expecting miracles this year but I did expect competency from the coaches and the schemes. We got neither. Kill at New Mexico State is getting a ton out of a roster of guys a school like Purdue would never offer.

What do you think changes if Walters got 3 top 30 classes? We still won’t have the guys to single cover most of the WRs we play and be successful. We still won’t have the DL to consistently win on the LOS. We’ll still likely not get good LBs.

What Brohm did was develop QBs, being in a good skill group and run an offense that made us competitive. He’s gone. He’s not coming back…but I don’t think it’s wrong to hold a guy to that standard. We are FAR from winning football and you can’t put scheme flaws and lack of adjustments at the feet of the old coach.

In year 7, you should have guys in the program who can hold their own at the p5 level. Nobody is asking for Brandon Gorin. Im asking for a guy who is significantly better than Jalen Grant, who is a straight up mac player.

You do that by not retaining your friend Dale as a coach. And you know how I know brohm doesn’t think Dale is a p5 quality coach? Because when he went to Louisville Dale suddenly became an analyst

I think it’s cute that you look at the schedule for next year and see three wins right now…

If he can't operate a Chevy, why buy him a Cadillac?
Because, if word gets around that Purdue doesn’t support their coach with NIL, and you get your wish and Walters is gone.. the next time around candidates who wanted the job will laugh in Purdue’s faces. As they will to anyone else who isn’t going to give them the Jimmy’s and joes.

And I don’t mean on the level of the big boys. If Nebraska is paying for double digit players of a certain caliber, regardless of the coach, Purdue should be able to get 4-5.

I heard every basketball player got 150. I heard card got that as well. After Purdue gives money to thienemann, Scourton, Jenkins, Mbow and brevard, if they can’t make that same basketball player/card offer to 4-5 players, regardless of the coach, that’s a sad state of affairs.

why do you think Walters is here? Because we schedule with delusions of grandeur and our NIL is basement level. Todd monken or whoever you wanted who didn’t get a better job.. they didn’t interview here because there’s a good chance it kills your career.

Bobinski bought low on a gamble. If he’s wrong there’s no buyout. If he’s right we might have a coach who can build things up. Walters was just someone who fit that mold.

Les miles or whoever you wanted wasn’t coming here. I bet even Matt Rhule would have laughed his ass off if Bobinski called him.

Because, if word gets around that Purdue doesn’t support their coach with NIL, and you get your wish and Walters is gone.. the next time around candidates who wanted the job will laugh in Purdue’s faces. As they will to anyone else who isn’t going to give them the Jimmy’s and joes.

And I don’t mean on the level of the big boys. If Nebraska is paying for double digit players of a certain caliber, regardless of the coach, Purdue should be able to get 4-5.

I heard every basketball player got 150. I heard card got that as well. After Purdue gives money to thienemann, Scourton, Jenkins, Mbow and brevard, if they can’t make that same basketball player/card offer to 4-5 players, regardless of the coach, that’s a sad state of affairs.

why do you think Walters is here? Because we schedule with delusions of grandeur and our NIL is basement level. Todd monken or whoever you wanted who didn’t get a better job.. they didn’t interview here because there’s a good chance it kills your career.

Bobinski bought low on a gamble. If he’s wrong there’s no buyout. If he’s right we might have a coach who can build things up. Walters was just someone who fit that mold.

Les miles or whoever you wanted wasn’t coming here. I bet even Matt Rhule would have laughed his ass off if Bobinski called him.
If you’re a half decent coach, it’s not a career killer. If you’re not a good coach it’s likely your last stop. We don’t have high expectations as a fan base.

When you can’t take a P5 team to a bowl, you shouldn’t be there.

End of story.

I think coaches would be happy to come here, win 5-6-7-8 games consistently and make a boatload of money doing it with little to no pressure. No, I dont expect us to out NIL Nebraska. We never will. A coach taking this job should know that they are funded like an NFL team and are the only major sports program in a stats obsessed with CFB.

Again, we’re asking to show a pulse. Not get out coached and outplayed by G5 teams and staffs and lose to any team with a semblance of a pulse. Coaching adjustments would have helped this guy big time. Instead he’ll run his career into the ground by not adjusting to the talent he has.

If you’re a half decent coach, it’s not a career killer. If you’re not a good coach it’s likely your last stop. We don’t have high expectations as a fan base.

When you can’t take a P5 team to a bowl, you shouldn’t be there.

End of story.

I think coaches would be happy to come here, win 5-6-7-8 games consistently and make a boatload of money doing it with little to no pressure. No, I dont expect us to out NIL Nebraska. We never will. A coach taking this job should know that they are funded like an NFL team and are the only major sports program in a stats obsessed with CFB.

Again, we’re asking to show a pulse. Not get out coached and outplayed by G5 teams and staffs and lose to any team with a semblance of a pulse. Coaching adjustments would have helped this guy big time. Instead he’ll run his career into the ground by not adjusting to the talent he has.
It is a career killer if you’re a high end candidate and you come to Purdue to

1) coach a school traditionally at the bottom of a power 2 conference looking up
2) who schedules like they are Georgia in the ooc
3) with very little NIL support.

If you wanted luke fickell he probably didn’t even pick up the phone. Notice jim Leonard isn’t here? Who else

Reactions: drewjin
It is a career killer if you’re a high end candidate and you come to Purdue to

1) coach a school traditionally at the bottom of a power 2 conference looking up
2) who schedules like they are Georgia in the ooc
3) with very little NIL support.

If you wanted luke fickell he probably didn’t even pick up the phone. Notice jim Leonard isn’t here? Who else
Beamer, Colson, G. Riley

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT