ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota at Purdue: MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

Hey Hey - Jason Garrett with a shout-out to Keena Turner!

Junk Defense.

10389189.jpg

Not that I'm a PSU fan, I was kind of hoping they'd knock off UM after the last week of drama.
I live in Pa., hate them esp during newscasts when it's time for the sports segment and they play excerpts from Franklin's post game and he talks like he's some professor

Reactions: z_one
DBs just can’t make any plays. 13 is a freshman and it shows. Brown has one thrown right to him and drops it which was a huge play that led to that nonsense at the end
In all fairness he completely stole that INT from Theineman, who had the better angle on it. Centerfielder calls it, right?

You stopped posting altogether my man. Called 8 wins a sure thing and then vanished. where you been?
On3.

I was wrong for sure. And that’s one more time that you’ll hear that from most.

Had I known Jalen Grant would be as bad as he was, The injuries would be so severe at positions we couldn’t afford any, and that brothers and the MLB position would have been what it was I would have picked 4-5 wins. With next years schedule and NIL being what it is, you won’t be getting many more big predictions from me. I still believe in Walters. I was guilty of overestimating what he was left with.

About 2 days before the season I got a pff sub and I was like “I really doubt I’m right”.. based on past performances it wasn’t the picture of a 8-4 team. Once I looked at the lack of players who Had gotten green grades in previous seasons I understood that. It was actually similar to 2017, but with the toughest schedule in the nation.

Reactions: z_one and HUD628
3-7. Go back to On3
They are 3-7, but when they play well, you don’t even cheer them on. You’re not even happy about it. I couldn’t stand Dale Williams. He’s a big part of why we are 3-7. When Holstege transferred out, there was no one to take his place. But i was still cheering Purdue on when we did well.

You were here to cry because you’re brohm first and Purdue second. When they did well nothing.

And nat would be the first one to tell you that this place was gonna be a dumpster fire had brohm stayed. Shame on me for not seeing why.

They are 3-7, but when they play well, you don’t even cheer them on. You’re not even happy about it. I couldn’t stand Dale Williams. He’s a big part of why we are 3-7. When Holstege transferred out, there was no one to take his place. But i was still cheering Purdue on when we did well.

You were here to cry because you’re brohm first and Purdue second. When they did well nothing.

And nat would be the first one to tell you that this place was gonna be a dumpster fire had brohm stayed. Shame on me for not seeing why.
This team has the talent to win. Not at a high level but a bowl was a given with a competent coach and scheme.

What will you say 2 years from now when we still run the same schemes that don’t work and still can’t get out of our own way?

I cheer for Purdue. At 2-7 it’s hard to get excited for a win that’s a month too late. It was good to see everything work finally but why 10 weeks in finally? Did we finally play a team worse than us?

Keep blaming old coaches…but with 5 OL contributors from a good team last year…this team shouldn’t have been as bad as it was…it was putrid before injuries had set in. Eventually, you’ll run out of excuses.

This team has the talent to win. Not at a high level but a bowl was a given with a competent coach and scheme.

What will you say 2 years from now when we still run the same schemes that don’t work and still can’t get out of our own way?

I cheer for Purdue. At 2-7 it’s hard to get excited for a win that’s a month too late. It was good to see everything work finally but why 10 weeks in finally? Did we finally play a team worse than us?

Keep blaming old coaches…but with 5 OL contributors from a good team last year…this team shouldn’t have been as bad as it was…it was putrid before injuries had set in. Eventually, you’ll run out of excuses.
Pff disagrees with you. Here are the returning players over 70.0 on more than marginal snaps both in 2022 and the year before brohm took over:

Mockobee 75.3
Downing 72.0
Hartwig 71.9
Mbow 71.0

Hunte 74.3
Barron 74.2
Bentley 73.2
Robinson 70.5
Bailey 70.2

Brohm won games because a once in lifetime player lived across the street. George karlaftis never comes here if he’s from cleveland. And then brohm had a NFL QB delivered to him by throw it deep inc and Jeff Christensen. You can say brohm developed him, but brohm thought he was worse than Jack plummer going into 2021.

And just so you know, because you might not know, brohm was 19-25 after four seasons. And it wasn’t looking much better when Aidan Oconnell took over in 2021. Aidan Oconnell.. who saved brohm from 2-10 in 2019.

The book is the book. Walters has until next year to show improvement. Halfway through the following year on the OL UNLESS we are buyers in the portal. But Purdue should be at best neutral in the portal. I’ll be thrilled if none of our top players get bought off. By year 3 he needs to be showing improvement relative to Purdue’s NIL program, which should be wimpy at best.

Am I concerned that his defense has failed at the second level? No! It’s oc brothers cam Allen and sanoussi Kane. Kane is a physical player but had one of the worst coverage grades in America last year. “But the scheme.” None of those guys were that good in the 4-2-5.

Am I concerned about the offense. If we had big ten guards to start the season and if it wasn’t painfully obvious that Garrick McGee was NOT shep, yeah I would be. We haven’t even had Mbow and Hartwig very much.

With the offensive line that returned, it needed a bail out guy at WR. Only Mbow and Hartwig were that good healthy. Moussa doesn’t have the strength to run block and is only marginally better pass blocking. His pff grades weren’t good last year. It’s just that Dale and Reno were so bad that he was something to be hopeful about.

Bail out WRs ON THE FIELD at their peak, since I have watched Purdue, have included the following:

Daniels
Sutherland
Standeford
Stubblefield
Bryant
Lymon
Orton
Smith
Yancey
Moore
Bell
Wright

No one on this years team fit that bill. It was a bunch of guys who are okay if you have Aidan Oconnell distributing the football or if you have defenders selling out to stop a David bell.

Here’s a fact. In the Junior and senior class, 11-12 players out of 36 have played more than marginal snaps for Purdue this year. Of the MANY who transferred out, only Maliq carr was welcomed onto a p5 roster. Many players who transferred to g5 from that group couldn’t even get run in g5! Like Bryce Austin. 1 tackle for his career at g5 level.

11-12 out of your true junior and senior class is remarkably shitty recruiting. 2019 was a dope class. The next 3 classes combined haven’t lived up to the 19 class. Combined!

Pff disagrees with you. Here are the returning players over 70.0 on more than marginal snaps both in 2022 and the year before brohm took over:

Mockobee 75.3
Downing 72.0
Hartwig 71.9
Mbow 71.0

Hunte 74.3
Barron 74.2
Bentley 73.2
Robinson 70.5
Bailey 70.2

Brohm won games because a once in lifetime player lived across the street. George karlaftis never comes here if he’s from cleveland. And then brohm had a NFL QB delivered to him by throw it deep inc and Jeff Christensen. You can say brohm developed him, but brohm thought he was worse than Jack plummer going into 2021.

And just so you know, because you might not know, brohm was 19-25 after four seasons. And it wasn’t looking much better when Aidan Oconnell took over in 2021. Aidan Oconnell.. who saved brohm from 2-10 in 2019.

The book is the book. Walters has until next year to show improvement. Halfway through the following year on the OL UNLESS we are buyers in the portal. But Purdue should be at best neutral in the portal. I’ll be thrilled if none of our top players get bought off. By year 3 he needs to be showing improvement relative to Purdue’s NIL program, which should be wimpy at best.

Am I concerned that his defense has failed at the second level? No! It’s oc brothers cam Allen and sanoussi Kane. Kane is a physical player but had one of the worst coverage grades in America last year. “But the scheme.” None of those guys were that good in the 4-2-5.

Am I concerned about the offense. If we had big ten guards to start the season and if it wasn’t painfully obvious that Garrick McGee was NOT shep, yeah I would be. We haven’t even had Mbow and Hartwig very much.

With the offensive line that returned, it needed a bail out guy at WR. Only Mbow and Hartwig were that good healthy. Moussa doesn’t have the strength to run block and is only marginally better pass blocking. His pff grades weren’t good last year. It’s just that Dale and Reno were so bad that he was something to be hopeful about.

Bail out WRs ON THE FIELD at their peak, since I have watched Purdue, have included the following:

Daniels
Sutherland
Standeford
Stubblefield
Bryant
Lymon
Orton
Smith
Yancey
Moore
Bell
Wright

No one on this years team fit that bill. It was a bunch of guys who are okay if you have Aidan Oconnell distributing the football or if you have defenders selling out to stop a David bell.

Here’s a fact. In the Junior and senior class, 11-12 players out of 36 have played more than marginal snaps for Purdue this year. Of the MANY who transferred out, only Maliq carr was welcomed onto a p5 roster. Many players who transferred to g5 from that group couldn’t even get run in g5! Like Bryce Austin. 1 tackle for his career at g5 level.

11-12 out of your true junior and senior class is remarkably shitty recruiting. 2019 was a dope class. The next 3 classes combined haven’t lived up to the 19 class. Combined!
Most of that was nonsense.

3-7

If you don’t think Scourton, Jenkins, Brevard, Thineman and others on this D are talented you’re absolutely fooling yourself. Scourton and Jenkins will be 1st team if not 2nd team in the conference. Our failure there has been on a coach asking players to do what they can’t…that’s on him. A defensive “savant” that can’t adjust and has the worst D in conference.

Brohm had 1 bad year in his first 4. 2019 was bad but we were also transitioning from Hazells players to his. He redeemed himself and we should have been 3-3 in the Covid year (Minnesota screw job) and that’s with missing a lot of our best D players due to Covid and having to sit out the last 3 games of the year. Brohm earned the down years by taking us to a bowl in years 1 and 2.

We shouldn’t wait more than 3 years for Walters to take us to a bowl. You discount 17 wins over 2 years but that’s far above our average before. In a 4 year cycle I expect a 5,6,7 and 9 win season. Walters will get his time. I’m a Brohm only fan for pointing out that this coaching staff has looked overmatched most of the time?

Flat out, this staff won’t be successful here because they didn’t adjust. I expect an ugly offensive day today at NW where we get out coached and lose 24-10 to a bad offense.

Most of that was nonsense.

3-7

If you don’t think Scourton, Jenkins, Brevard, Thineman and others on this D are talented you’re absolutely fooling yourself. Scourton and Jenkins will be 1st team if not 2nd team in the conference. Our failure there has been on a coach asking players to do what they can’t…that’s on him. A defensive “savant” that can’t adjust and has the worst D in conference.

Brohm had 1 bad year in his first 4. 2019 was bad but we were also transitioning from Hazells players to his. He redeemed himself and we should have been 3-3 in the Covid year (Minnesota screw job) and that’s with missing a lot of our best D players due to Covid and having to sit out the last 3 games of the year. Brohm earned the down years by taking us to a bowl in years 1 and 2.

We shouldn’t wait more than 3 years for Walters to take us to a bowl. You discount 17 wins over 2 years but that’s far above our average before. In a 4 year cycle I expect a 5,6,7 and 9 win season. Walters will get his time. I’m a Brohm only fan for pointing out that this coaching staff has looked overmatched most of the time?

Flat out, this staff won’t be successful here because they didn’t adjust. I expect an ugly offensive day today at NW where we get out coached and lose 24-10 to a bad offense.
No most of that was reality.

What? Are you saying that more than 11-12 players have played out of the 2020 and 2020 recruiting classes? Are you saying that the 20-22 classes have produced more good players than the 2019 class alone? Brohm stopped recruiting man. Could have been Hodges departure. Cause when he left, so did the impact recruits (on the level of 2019)

I posted the returning players that brohm had playing at a high level.

Jenkins is playing by far the best football of his career.

Scourton was a backup who had two sacks last year. This year he has more sacks than he and Sullivan combined in 2022. That’s Walters!

Is it enough when oc brothers can’t figure out which way to run and blows assignments leading to huge QB runs or wide open touchdowns. Let me guess. When Garret Shrader and lequint Allen went right on an option toss, you think Walters designed it so it was gonna be Scourton on both of them? No man! Brothers was supposed to be there. Pff had brothers in the 40s last year just like they do this year. Stanford Keglar 2.0. Looks the part, isn’t where he’s supposed to be.

Brevard was barely existent last year. This year he played like a guy who is 315+ for most of the year. It’s only been the last few games he’s actually beaten someone and gotten into the backfield much at all.

Thienemann is a true freshman. That’s Walters.

Stick to personal attacks. Your arguments really suck brohm fan boy. Aidan Oconnell saved your 19-25 Dalai Brohma’s ass

Reactions: krf3632 and z_one
You probably forgot how brohm was 19-25 after four years with schedules that were cake compared to this year, and he was then 2-1 with the guy HE PICKED to be starter in 2021 standing there staring at Illinois while he held the ball all day.

I don’t…

Here’s hoping when Walters bring his guys in, he doesn’t have guys like Kai Higgins and Geovanni freaking Reviere starting

Brohm was 21-26 entering this game. He picked plummer to start. Then, as plummer stares at Illinois and holds the ball too long tied 6-6, brohm turns to a guy who got private instruction from the same guy who worked with Patrick mahomes (Jeff Christensen). From there he does 15-7 to finish his Purdue career.

Tell me Aidan Oconnell didn’t save his ass

Brohm was 21-26 entering this game. He picked plummer to start. Then, as plummer stares at Illinois and holds the ball too long tied 6-6, brohm turns to a guy who got private instruction from the same guy who worked with Patrick mahomes (Jeff Christensen). From there he does 15-7 to finish his Purdue career.

Tell me Aidan Oconnell didn’t save his ass
Yes …a guy Brohm recruited and developed saved his ass.

I dont know what you’re trying to prove….its obvious Brohm is a good coach. A lot of the limitations he faced overall are Purdue based and not Brohm related. Walters has those same limitations. He’ll recruit well but he’s never going to recruit the talent to go head to head with the 6-7 teams in the conference. Really no coach here ever will.

So what does Purdue need to do to win? Make the best of the talent it DOES have. How have coaches won here? Outscheme and out coach their opponents. This staff has proved inept at best at doing that.

I don’t doubt Walters can upgrade the talent. Talent doesn’t matter when your schemes predicate that every single guy on your team win every single matchup every single play. Purdue will never have that kind of talent.

It’s great that you support Walters. He’ll get his 3-4 years…and if these schemes continue to be as flat and he continues to not adjust Purdue will fail and he will fail.

Who will you blame next year and the year after when most of the talent on the team are Walters recruits (and the most talented are Brohms) and we still suck?

Jenkins is playing by far the best football of his career.

Scourton was a backup who had two sacks last year. This year he has more sacks than he and Sullivan combined in 2022. That’s Walters!
This point is asinine. Scourton was a true Freshman…of course he wasn’t a starter.

Jenkins played well all last year too.

The offense has taken a big step back. The defense has taken a larger step back…and they weren’t even good last year. You want to peg good player development on Walters…but he’s not responsible for his defensive failures either?

Keep cherry picking data points. Brohm went to 4 bowls in 6 years. Walters won’t be here 6 years. But keep slamming and blaming the old guy!

This point is asinine. Scourton was a true Freshman…of course he wasn’t a starter.

Jenkins played well all last year too.

The offense has taken a big step back. The defense has taken a larger step back…and they weren’t even good last year. You want to peg good player development on Walters…but he’s not responsible for his defensive failures either?

Keep cherry picking data points. Brohm went to 4 bowls in 6 years. Walters won’t be here 6 years. But keep slamming and blaming the old guy!
So you want to credit brohm when a true freshman is just kinda there and then becomes all big ten under walters. But you also want to credit brohm when he recruited a guy, never coached him and he will be freshman all American?

And you want to do it when these guys are defensive players.. where brohm had 4 DCs in 6 years and only Brad lambert was worth a damn.

Jenkins was a good solid player graded in the mid 60s per pff. Now he’s all big ten. While this was true of gelen Robinson (good player under hazell who was all big ten in Brohm’s first year) this was not true of Bentley or Bailey.

The offense has taken a step back. Let’s examine why:

1) Aidan Oconnell was just far superior to card. Oconnell is a product of the elite training school throw it deep. He received constant instruction during his time at Purdue. That’s why none of brohms recruits could grasp his complicated offense and Oconnell could. Brohm showed over and over again that his recruits didn’t get it. A throw it deep inc walk-on did.

2) offensive line was a disaster under Williams. Someone on on3 posted that like 6 brohm recruits have started games. The hit rate is very low. at schools who get the results you want, if a Spencer Holstege leaves, the RECRUITED players IN THE PROGRAM would humiliate our guards in one on one drills.

3) no bail out receiver. Oconnell and brees don’t need to be bailed out. Card is not in that class. Guys who can bail you out that I’ve seen on the field include

Sutherland
Daniels
Standeford
Stubblefield
Bryant
Lymon
G. Orton
K. Smith
Yancey
Moore
Bell
Wright
Jones

Brohm didn’t have any of those guys on the roster when he departed.

4) horrific injuries

Defensively, Walters has been killed by the second level. Which one of those players was ANY GOOD BEFORE WALTERS GOT HERE?

Here are the second level players this year per pff

Kane 60.0
Washington 58.2
Allen 56.2
Karlaftis 51.9
Brothers 49.6

Here those players were last year

Allen 67.8
Kane 57.4
Washington 52.3
Brothers 40.7
Karlaftis DNP

They aren’t good now and they weren’t good under brohm.

Walters will be here in 6 years or somewhere better if he gets NIL support. I don’t think that will happen at Purdue. Brohm never had to deal with that.

Brohm went to two of those bowls at 6-6. He got absolutely annihilated in two of those bowls

You don’t know shit

Yes …a guy Brohm recruited and developed saved his ass.

I dont know what you’re trying to prove….its obvious Brohm is a good coach. A lot of the limitations he faced overall are Purdue based and not Brohm related. Walters has those same limitations. He’ll recruit well but he’s never going to recruit the talent to go head to head with the 6-7 teams in the conference. Really no coach here ever will.

So what does Purdue need to do to win? Make the best of the talent it DOES have. How have coaches won here? Outscheme and out coach their opponents. This staff has proved inept at best at doing that.

I don’t doubt Walters can upgrade the talent. Talent doesn’t matter when your schemes predicate that every single guy on your team win every single matchup every single play. Purdue will never have that kind of talent.

It’s great that you support Walters. He’ll get his 3-4 years…and if these schemes continue to be as flat and he continues to not adjust Purdue will fail and he will fail.

Who will you blame next year and the year after when most of the talent on the team are Walters recruits (and the most talented are Brohms) and we still suck?
You don’t know Oconnells background. More evidence that you don’t know what you think you know.

I’m not advocating walters has been good. I’m advocating we let him have one year with his own guys and then judge. Judge him and judge Purdue’s NIL support.

You don’t know Oconnells background. More evidence that you don’t know what you think you know.

I’m not advocating walters has been good. I’m advocating we let him have one year with his own guys and then judge. Judge him and judge Purdue’s NIL support.
I do know his background. You’re saying that Brohm had no part in making him the player he is? Brohm was the one who put him in the game…

Brohm is the guy who coached him every week. But sure…some HS QB guru is the only reason he’s good!

Purdue will NEVER have the NIL support of the big boys. Doesn’t matter the coach or the scheme. It’s your job as HC to work with that and put a winning product on the field. As NIL ramped up Brohm got better….

So you want to credit brohm when a true freshman is just kinda there and then becomes all big ten under walters. But you also want to credit brohm when he recruited a guy, never coached him and he will be freshman all American?

And you want to do it when these guys are defensive players.. where brohm had 4 DCs in 6 years and only Brad lambert was worth a damn.

Jenkins was a good solid player graded in the mid 60s per pff. Now he’s all big ten. While this was true of gelen Robinson (good player under hazell who was all big ten in Brohm’s first year) this was not true of Bentley or Bailey.

The offense has taken a step back. Let’s examine why:

1) Aidan Oconnell was just far superior to card. Oconnell is a product of the elite training school throw it deep. He received constant instruction during his time at Purdue. That’s why none of brohms recruits could grasp his complicated offense and Oconnell could. Brohm showed over and over again that his recruits didn’t get it. A throw it deep inc walk-on did.

2) offensive line was a disaster under Williams. Someone on on3 posted that like 6 brohm recruits have started games. The hit rate is very low. at schools who get the results you want, if a Spencer Holstege leaves, the RECRUITED players IN THE PROGRAM would humiliate our guards in one on one drills.

3) no bail out receiver. Oconnell and brees don’t need to be bailed out. Card is not in that class. Guys who can bail you out that I’ve seen on the field include

Sutherland
Daniels
Standeford
Stubblefield
Bryant
Lymon
G. Orton
K. Smith
Yancey
Moore
Bell
Wright
Jones

Brohm didn’t have any of those guys on the roster when he departed.

4) horrific injuries

Defensively, Walters has been killed by the second level. Which one of those players was ANY GOOD BEFORE WALTERS GOT HERE?

Here are the second level players this year per pff

Kane 60.0
Washington 58.2
Allen 56.2
Karlaftis 51.9
Brothers 49.6

Here those players were last year

Allen 67.8
Kane 57.4
Washington 52.3
Brothers 40.7
Karlaftis DNP

They aren’t good now and they weren’t good under brohm.

Walters will be here in 6 years or somewhere better if he gets NIL support. I don’t think that will happen at Purdue. Brohm never had to deal with that.

Brohm went to two of those bowls at 6-6. He got absolutely annihilated in two of those bowls

You don’t know shit
Our LBs are bad. We don’t do anything to fix that AND ran Whalberg off.

Our starting secondary has been bad and Wilson, Brown and Thineman weren’t here last year. I don’t quite understand your point. The coach brought in what people would feel like talented guys…and then still has a bad defense.

I know bad football when I see it. I know good players when I see them. We certainly have some.

What I see is a poorly coached defense that can’t get lined up correctly half the time. The other half, we are easily outschemed because we dont adjust ever.

You’re making excuses. 3-7. Looking like 3-8 is all I need to know!

Remember…YOuRe the guy who thought Brohm was no good until we started winning. Looks like you’ll think this guy is good until it’s painfully obvious Walters isn’t.

Remember, I’m 1/1 with this. You’re Ofer

I do know his background. You’re saying that Brohm had no part in making him the player he is? Brohm was the one who put him in the game…

Brohm is the guy who coached him every week. But sure…some HS QB guru is the only reason he’s good!

Purdue will NEVER have the NIL support of the big boys. Doesn’t matter the coach or the scheme. It’s your job as HC to work with that and put a winning product on the field. As NIL ramped up Brohm got better….
When a walk on comes in and generates two come back wins in his first appearances, for a team that was 2-8 in their other games, and brohm can’t get his scholarship QBs to do shit, you think that’s brohm? You just like you some Jeff brohm.

If Purdue doesn’t get some middle of the road NIL spending, Walters will fail. People like you who say “just win” will be super hurt when you realize who DOESNT want the job at that point.

Our LBs are bad. We don’t do anything to fix that AND ran Whalberg off.

Our starting secondary has been bad and Wilson, Brown and Thineman weren’t here last year. I don’t quite understand your point. The coach brought in what people would feel like talented guys…and then still has a bad defense.

I know bad football when I see it. I know good players when I see them. We certainly have some.

What I see is a poorly coached defense that can’t get lined up correctly half the time. The other half, we are easily outschemed because we dont adjust ever.

You’re making excuses. 3-7. Looking like 3-8 is all I need to know!

Remember…YOuRe the guy who thought Brohm was no good until we started winning. Looks like you’ll think this guy is good until it’s painfully obvious Walters isn’t.

Remember, I’m 1/1 with this. You’re Ofer
Fix it? They were bad last year. They just aren’t good players man. Jacob Wahlberg was at 54.4 last year per pff. So you don’t know shit about solutions.

Wilson was doing really well and he’s out for the year.

Think fast, who was the second best corner brohm recruited and developed in 6 years!?

Fix it? They were bad last year. They just aren’t good players man. Jacob Wahlberg was at 54.4 last year per pff. So you don’t know shit about solutions.

Wilson was doing really well and he’s out for the year.

Think fast, who was the second best corner brohm recruited and developed in 6 years!?
You’re a literal psychopath

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT