ADVERTISEMENT

Prediction... there will be more kneeling in the NFL today than in church

Good. I hope every last player kneels next week and you all can boycott the NFL.

Great, and that solves what? If half of America turns off the NFL, the league is in big trouble. The problem of racism doesn't get solved and no one discusses anything with openness and sincerity. Thus only the anarchists win, which is really what this is about. Useful idiots being used to divide us and weaken the country.

Reactions: ecouch
Great, and that solves what? If half of America turns off the NFL, the league is in big trouble. The problem of racism doesn't get solved and no one discusses anything with openness and sincerity. Thus only the anarchists win, which is really what this is about. Useful idiots being used to divide us and weaken the country.
Why are you so angry? What did they do to you?

Disagree. Soldiers died for the RIGHT to choose to kneel or stand. It is peaceful, silent protest in response to systemic racism in America.
But, disrespecting OUR flag is not the way to register ones views. There are other avenues to express oneself. There a lot of people, and some of my friends, who have lost their lives defending OUR country and flag. Norm

But, disrespecting OUR flag is not the way to register ones views. There are other avenues to express oneself. There a lot of people, and some of my friends, who have lost their lives defending OUR country and flag. Norm
Please stop using other people's service to defend your position. You don't speak for them, and you don't speak for servicemembers. Let whatever argument you make stand on its own merit, not the merit of what you surmise one who served and died might've thought.

Why are you so angry? What did they do to you?

I'm not angry. Passion is not necessarily anger. I'm disappointed they are alienating the very people we need to change the world. Do you win people over by pissing them off or by challenging them to live up to our common ideals? I think MLK was more effective than Nation of Islam or Black Panthers. Gandhi changed the world and John Brown just got himself killed.

I think the whole cop killer theme is being used by two types of people. One who want to distract us from the bigger problems in the black communities and those that want to weaken America. Police abuse is a problem, but I don't think it is the biggest problem. Most of these cities are run by Democrats who can't make things better, so they have to deflect the spotlight.

I want nothing but the best for ALL Americans. This is a forum that supports athletic teams that are heavily made up of black students. We are all rooting for them as athletes, students, and people. Why are we called racist just because we disagree. Am I calling you or anyone else something so vile?

I'm not angry. Passion is not necessarily anger. I'm disappointed they are alienating the very people we need to change the world. Do you win people over by pissing them off or by challenging them to live up to our common ideals? I think MLK was more effective than Nation of Islam or Black Panthers. Gandhi changed the world and John Brown just got himself killed.

I think the whole cop killer theme is being used by two types of people. One who want to distract us from the bigger problems in the black communities and those that want to weaken America. Police abuse is a problem, but most of these cities are run by Democrats who can't make things better, so they have to deflect the spotlight.

I want nothing but the best for ALL Americans. This is a forum that supports athletic teams that are heavily made up of black students. We are all rooting for them as athletes, students, and people. Why are we called racist just because we disagree. Am I calling you or anyone else something so vile?
I think you get their attention by pissing them off. If you don't invoke passion, you are easily ignored. Like it or not, their chosen means of protest has won the attention of most of the country and the President himself.

Kneeling for the anthem is far more in line with MLK... it harms literally no one.

Please point to where I called you a racist.

Reactions: snowsquirrel11
Let me guess elections and hurricanes? First step is admitting
NFL is boring, lacks parity, and has too many dumb rules that limit physicality. Further, a lot of the games are on cable and tons of people are dropping cable because it's too expensive. If you're not watching because a guy kneels for the anthem then you probably didn't really want to watch the game anyway.

Say it with me now: correlation != causation

What this thread is missing is Hope.

danny-hope-purdue.jpg

I was active in it as a proud American.
And as we know from the last election, polls are completely accurate. It's 2% higher than the other options listed, and at 26%, while still the largest, is far from a majority. Your post literally proves my point, so thank you. There are a myriad of issues plaguing the NFL right now.

Their biggest short term problem is the National Anthem. Diddle and daddle all you want but publicity for a business relying on discretionary income and good will iof the public is not healthy.

Reactions: BSIT
I think you get their attention by pissing them off. If you don't invoke passion, you are easily ignored. Like it or not, their chosen means of protest has won the attention of most of the country and the President himself.

Kneeling for the anthem is far more in line with MLK... it harms literally no one.

I know you have not called me racist and I didn't say you did. I have had others accuse me of it on here. I applaud you for you fair and honest dialogue without the name calling.

Their biggest short term problem is the National Anthem. Diddle and daddle all you want but publicity for a business relying on discretionary income and good will iof the public is not healthy.
At least one Steeler had enough guts and class to attend the NA. However it wasn't enough to handle the mighty Bears. IMO most of the players are gutless followers and many are just looking to protest for the sake of protesting.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ya...cipation-sitting-anthem-sunday-004953591.html

You can get our attention by pissing people off, but I don't think you can change anything. MLK's I have a dream speech is so well remembered because it appealed to our common ideals. It set the stage for major change by pointing out the very ideals we supposedly held dear and then pointed out America's hypocrisy.

This protest actually attacks the symbolism of those ideals. I don't expect you to agree, but do you at least understand my point of view and respect it as a valid and rational point of view? So many others will just cry racism because they are too weak minded to try and understand or engage in well thought out discussion.

At least one Steeler had enough guts and class to attend the NA. However it wasn't enough to handle the mighty Bears. IMO most of the players are gutless followers and many are just looking to protest for the sake of protesting.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ya...cipation-sitting-anthem-sunday-004953591.html
Subjecting yourself to public ridicule by the majority and possibly endangering your livelihood in the name of public protest strikes me as the exact opposite of "gutless."

Reactions: db
You can get our attention by pissing people off, but I don't think you can change anything. MLK's I have a dream speech is so well remembered because it appealed to our common ideals. It set the stage for major change by pointing out the very ideals we supposedly held dear and then pointed out America's hypocrisy.

This protest actually attacks the symbolism of those ideals. I don't expect you to agree, but do you at least understand my point of view and respect it as a valid and rational point of view? So many others will just cry racism because they are too weak minded to try and understand or engage in well thought out discussion.
People said the same things about Rosa Parks. MLK was not universally beloved. Sometimes you have to challenge people to effect change.

I think your POV is shallow and tied to weak belief in ideals in which you claim to be deeply invested, but in reality are not. (Not just you specifically, but this whole line of argument/offense). The number of people here espousing terms like "patriotism" and "sacrifice" is astonishing, considering most of those claims are hollow as not many have put their "money where their mouth is", to quote someone else in this thread.

Opposing their method doesn't make you racist, no. I wouldn't personally elect this method, but I respect the hell out of them for doing so.

Reactions: mk_peters
You posted a Johnathan Haidt video a while back. I am going to go out on a limb here and assume you know who Jordan Peterson is. If so, have seen his lectures on postmodernism and why we are now at a point where "privalege" is the new "businessman", or "the man" - achieving equity via attacks on a contrived power hierarchy?

ETA: I enjoy Haidt, very much. He is a very clear thinker. A good presenter.
Yes, I've been following Peterson since the University of Toronto video surfaced with regards to the pronoun issue.

I read a lot, I mean a lot, and I think Peterson to be one of the most brilliant voices in modern Western culture right now. He's absolutely fantastic. He has a podcast that I listen to, Jordan B Peterson Podcast, if you're up for it.

He gives me faith in the world. There's a few others like him out there that are really strong voices in a time that seems super turbulent. If you're looking for recommendations, I endorse anything that Dave Rubin, Johnathan Haidt, Ben Shapiro, Gad Saad, Christina Hoff-Sommers, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Maajid Nawaz, Sam Harris, etc. have done. They are all intellectually honest and really a shining beacon of hope in a time where it seems everything is getting dumber by the minute.

Reactions: ecouch
People said the same things about Rosa Parks. MLK was not universally beloved. Sometimes you have to challenge people to effect change.

I think your POV is shallow and tied to weak belief in ideals in which you claim to be deeply invested, but in reality are not. (Not just you specifically, but this whole line of argument/offense). The number of people here espousing terms like "patriotism" and "sacrifice" is astonishing, considering most of those claims are hollow as not many have put their "money where their mouth is", to quote someone else in this thread.

Opposing their method doesn't make you racist, no. I wouldn't personally elect this method, but I respect the hell out of them for doing so.

How do you know I have a weak belief in ideals from an internet conversation? Bravo. You are a true savant. I have risked my job to uphold my ideals and my father risked his life. But now that I know you have pronounced me shallow and weak, I guess I stand corrected.

It's amazing how much effort people will put in to "prove" they aren't racist, but they never do anything at all about the blatant racism in society. Like being called racist is worse than black people being affected by racism.

Subjecting yourself to public ridicule by the majority and possibly endangering your livelihood in the name of public protest strikes me as the exact opposite of "gutless."
I beg to differ. Doesn't take much guts to follow the crowd (Steelers) coupled with knowing the commissioner who is handcuffed by political correctness will institute no retribution seems rather gutless. Whereas the one linemen going against the team is courageous.

How do you know I have a weak belief in ideals from an internet conversation? Bravo. You are a true savant. I have risked my job to uphold my ideals and my father risked his life. But now that I know you have pronounced me shallow and weak, I guess I stand corrected.
You guys all run around spouting off about OTHER people's sacrifices and what your dads and uncles did and how these guys are dishonoring them. You want to talk about conviction for your ideals? Saddle up and find a recruiter. Otherwise, leave people's service -THEIR "sacrifice" - and such out of it. You guys are running around here talking about how important the flag is because of other people's sacrifices. That's shallow and weak. Your action and argument is. Didn't say you were. Again, you jump to offense when there should be none. I can call your arguments and actions weak all day without attacking you the person. I don't know you. But I find the argument used by the broad majority extremely weak and disingenuous.

You guys all run around spouting off about OTHER people's sacrifices and what your dads and uncles did and how these guys are dishonoring them. You want to talk about conviction for your ideals? Saddle up and find a recruiter. Otherwise, leave people's service -THEIR "sacrifice" - and such out of it. You guys are running around here talking about how important the flag is because of other people's sacrifices. That's shallow and weak. Your action and argument is. Didn't say you were. Again, you jump to offense when there should be none. I can call your arguments and actions weak all day without attacking you the person. I don't know you. But I find the argument used by the broad majority extremely weak and disingenuous.

So I get my dad on here and you will STFU? I highly doubt it. So your argument is worthless and weak. If I haven't sacrificed enough to meet your standard, then my opinion doesn't count? That isn't America either. We ALL have the right to an opinion. If you can't make a more compelling argument than that, then you are very weak indeed.

Ok, tomorrow's assignment is for KH's concerned about racial and social injustice ( and that should be all of us). If you are employed go to your office tomorrow and ask to meet with your superior. When you meet tell him or her you are passionately concerned about the National Anthem imbroglio and have decided to have a sign made to wear on your work apparel. The message will be simple. "I Stand with Colin on the National Anthem." Tell your Boss you are going to wear it to work and exercise your first amendment rights to freely express your feelings about controversial issues of significant interest. Report back to the board and we can get a sense of how many employers have no problem with work place campaigns by employees to redress grievances of social injustice. I think it could prove enlightening for all of us.

Did they teach you the Bill of Rights in school or did you skip first grade, snowflake?

BK12 ... it's way past your bedtime... mom is gonna get pissed since she already tucked you in
I'm returning to my professional workplace tomorrow morning. Middle school starts bright and early, buddy, maybe they'll teach you how to capitalize sentences and use correct grammar there.

Did they teach you the Bill of Rights in school or did you skip first grade, snowflake?

You have now attacked two people who are not anonymous on this forum. You profess to believe in fairness and equity so maybe it's time to take off your mask of anonymity?

Don't mess with Norm.

Reactions: Bully4OldPurdue

I disagree with my man Drew that standing for the anthem to show respect/that we're unified will "make things better." In fact I think the complete opposite. Protest is how you bring about change. Nothing will get accomplished if we (white people) just put our fingers in our ears and pretend like it doesn't exist. And yes I know he acknowledged that we have problems, but I don't understand how he gets to standing for the anthem will solve those problems.

I disagree with my man Drew that standing for the anthem to show respect/that we're unified will "make things better." In fact I think the complete opposite. Protest is how you bring about change. Nothing will get accomplished if we (white people) just put our fingers in our ears and pretend like it doesn't exist. And yes I know he acknowledged that we have problems, but I don't understand how he gets to standing for the anthem will solve those problems.
THIS! Wake up people!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT