ADVERTISEMENT

Parler App

477e81d74638d904f01cb54d8ea0f4a5.gif

I will say an interesting part of Parler getting kicked off AWS (who hosts the site) is enabled by the fact that Trump’s FCC repealed Obama era Net Neutrality regulations that would have made it more difficult for AWS to kick them off.

Both Goggle and Apple have disallowed access. Frankly, this type of censorship would appear to me as an unconstitutional infringement of Parler’s rights. Norm
Norm ... respectfully, do some more reading on this. Apple and Google asked them to enforce moderation controls against violence and other dangerous activity and they have so far not taken enough action to meet their asks.

It has nothing to do with free speech.

I will say an interesting part of Parler getting kicked off AWS (who hosts the site) is enabled by the fact that Trump’s FCC repealed Obama era Net Neutrality regulations that would have made it more difficult for AWS to kick them off.

I just hope we get internet in our re education camps. Could be a good run for Purdue athletics in 1-3 years

Both Goggle and Apple have disallowed access. Frankly, this type of censorship would appear to me as an unconstitutional infringement of Parler’s rights. Norm
Apple and Google are private companies. They can do what they want as long as they do not discrimate on the basis of religion, sex, race or sexual orientation - right?

Last edited:
Norm ... respectfully, do some more reading on this. Apple and Google asked them to enforce moderation controls against violence and other dangerous activity and they have so far not taken enough action to meet their asks.

This does not concern you at all? What if Apple thinks I should not have, say, DraftKings on my phone? This should concern all of us. If I pay for my phone, pay for an app, etc. why is this any different than someone coming to my house and taking something I have because they don’t like it. I’m not wanting to argue. I’m earnestly interested in your and others’ thoughts on all this. You can argue it’s part of the service terms but good luck negotiating those terms!

Thank you for your comments. But, who decides how the moderation controls should be applied? It seems to be neither Goggle nor Apple should have the authority to make that decision. This should be a matter of open discourse and a open market to exchange opinions and views. It should not be the purview of an independent third party making that determination. Norm

Last edited:
Apple and Google are private companies. They can do what they want as long as they do not discrimate on the basis of religion, sex, race or sexual preference - right?

Thank you for your comments. But, who decides how the moderation controls should be applied? It seems to be neither Goggle not Apple should have the authority to make that decision. This should be a matter of open discourse and a open market to exchange opinions and views. It should not be the purview of an independent third party making that determination. Norm
So you want the government to make those calls? Again, the Trump admin killed existing regulations that to some effect governed that and said ... let the free market self regulate.

Go search the type of content that has been posted. In light of what happened on Wednesday they had to do something.

You think this is great because it fits your ideology, but you realize the worm can turn don’t you? If not you should. I’m not on Parler but this is quite disconcerting.
FTR, I’m a lifelong conservative. I’ve not seen anybody voicing conservative opinion and reasonable discussion shut down.

Ive seen anarchists and people plotting to overthrow the government shut down.

This does not concern you at all? What if Apple thinks I should not have, say, DraftKings on my phone? This should concern all of us. If I pay for my phone, pay for an app, etc. why is this any different than someone coming to my house and taking something I have because they don’t like it. I’m not wanting to argue. I’m earnestly interested in your and others’ thoughts on all this. You can argue it’s part of the service terms but good luck negotiating those terms!

Exactly!!!! This in my opinion is a very dangerous road

FTR, I’m a lifelong conservative. I’ve not seen anybody voicing conservative opinion and reasonable discussion shut down.

Ive seen anarchists and people plotting to overthrow the government shut down.
Ok. You worry a lot less than me. I really wish I could be more sanguine about this stuff. I’d be more mentally healthy.

So when Apple & Google can dictate what Parler can have on their site, how is that not an infringement on freedom of speech?

Twitter cancelled Trump's account, because they thought it was too provacative, yet they allow the Ayatollah to do "Death to America" rants with no problem. In their minds, Conservatives must be more dangerous than terrorists. Censorship is an act of cowards, who are afraid that their values can't withstand scrutiny.

What is happening with Social Media is setting a terrible precedent. George Orwell wasn't aware that Social Media would exist, but he was on the money about Big Brother.

So when Apple & Google can dictate what Parler can have on their site, how is that not an infringement on freedom of speech?

Twitter cancelled Trump's account, because they thought it was too provacative, yet they allow the Ayatollah to do "Death to America" rants with no problem. In their minds, Conservatives must be more dangerous than terrorists. Censorship is an act of cowards, who are afraid that their values can't withstand scrutiny.

What is happening with Social Media is setting a terrible precedent. George Orwell wasn't aware that Social Media would exist, but he was on the money about Big Brother.
They all have TOS that customers need to follow.

I won’t say conservatives, but Trumpians have become a more dangerous threat to the US than the Ayatollah. I just watched them invade our capital.

You need to go read Orwell again. It’s a lot closer to what Trump was trying to pull off.

And again — this is the system that Trump’s FCC wanted.

FYI, they have been watching the Ayatollah’s account lately too. Nice to see he’s treated like Trump.

For those stating that these are private companies and they can censor whoever they wish, there are Supreme Court rulings that disagree. The rulings relate back to the concept of a "company town" that existed in the early 20th century. The problem here is that the social media companies have created virtual town squares and shopping centers, and have opened these properties to the public at large for use. The jist of the Supreme Court rulings is that the more a private property owner opens up their property for public use, the more their rights as private property owners become subject to the Constitutional rights of those who use it. Essentially, social media platforms have now become the "town square", and as such serve a public function and are subject to the restrictions of the First Amendment. Now, there will have to be a case brought before the Court to decide if these 20th century rulings apply to these 21st century companies, but in my opinion there's little difference between physical and virtual properties.

For those who claim the tech titans can do what they want, why could not other private enterprises in other industries do same? For instance the 4 big health systems control about 91% of the market in central IN. What if they get together next weekend and immediately decide they are not going to treat certain people because they don’t like what they say or do? You can all go get your health care somewhere else right?

So allowing Antifa and the Ayatollah to continue to spew their freedom of speech of hate and violence to continue is fine by you.

Let me know if the assault on a federal building in Portland is still ok with you or the other nut saying death to America all day long is non violent.

Just so you know, I don’t agree with any form of speech promoting violence.

So allowing Antifa and the Ayatollah to continue to spew their freedom of speech of hate and violence to continue is fine by you.

Let me know if the assault on a federal building in Portland is still ok with you or the other nut saying death to America all day long is non violent.

Just so you know, I don’t agree with any form of speech promoting violence.
Is ANTIFA posting on Twitter their plots? If they are they absolutely should be shut down.

As i posted above ... they have been monitoring and censoring the Ayatollah’s account.

Reactions: BleedinGold
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT