ADVERTISEMENT

Painter at Center Grove this morning

Oh please with the "integrity" mumbo jumbo. We all stand by the wayside while the NCAA generates billions from 18 - 22 year olds. Just please.

Wow. That's the first time I've seen "integrity" coupled with "mumbo jumbo." Well done you.

Also, you're addressing two different issues. I agree that athletes should be compensated. So you somehow conflate that problem with...a coach being intentionally deceptive to players? By your argument, because players are being exploited, coaches should exploit them even more. I find that pretty disturbing, but maybe it's that silly "integrity" issue I have getting in the way again.

Last edited:
Apologies, I was thinking of Brooks with the early interest in MSU.

As my edit stated, it's recruiting and anything can happen. However, I doubt he leaves the area and I feel pretty confident he'll end up at MSU or IU. I have heard the same about Brooks. Rumblings, "sources", "insiders", however you want to call him have this feeling. It could all change tomorrow and he could verbal to Purdue.

There is no way to know which way an 18 year old kid will go. KBJ could end up at Purdue. It may not be as likely as everybody seems to think it would be for MSU and IU, but Purdue has many pulls for him. Not to mention, Biggie is also from the Fort and the female basketball player from the Fort signed up too.

I will have no clue where Jackson-Davis or KBJ will be going until they announce. I just know Purdue is in the mix, and at this point that is all I can ask for.

hahahaha Okay that's all I needed to hear. Have a good day.
Creepy answer to what I thought was an honest answer. Do you want to start a significant disagreement with me and others here? Please control your postings just a bit. You are out of line here.

Creepy answer to what I thought was an honest answer. Do you want to start a significant disagreement with me and others here? Please control your postings just a bit. You are out of line here.
I said the post came off trollish and apologized. No need to circle the wagons.

Reactions: mathboy
Now I get it...and I mean this in the nicest possible way, Wole. For the parts of your posts that I read, it seems like you are just making things up, when in fact that is exactly what you are doing. ;)

Actually I don't make things up. I do sometimes make mistakes. And I'm terrible with names and dates. I've just lived a very extraordinary life that most people would never believe could possibly happen. I realize there are many people who doubt my words. My military record is most likely a matter of public record. PMO has a recording of me singing Sweet Little Jesus Boy at a PMO Christmas Show. you can find my son's bio at the SIU track page. You can sniff my Coach K autographed shoe. You can see me among the fans as part of Clifford Alexander's AAU highlight reel. My son was the Illinois Bear he dunked on. My wife is an optometrist and graduated from Eye U (the Indiana University posters probably know where Eye U is) and when not posting tonight, I was at a Church financial meeting, a sea scout committee meeting, and a Lions Club meeting. and there are 19 cases of Pepsi products in my car to be sold at an upcoming haunted hayride. There are two U.S,. flags that are prominently displayed in my house. One that flew over Iraq, and one that flew over Afghanistan. And in 8th grade I made 2 of 2 Ft attempts for a 100% Ft percentage. In high school, I played church league basketball with former Twins GM Terri Ryan, and was a friend to Sen Fiengold's sister who is now a female Jewish Rabbi. I made two federal budget proposals that were fully funded. it's in a freedom of information act file. and I live in the same community as SI Boiler, although he'd never admit on this board that he actually knows me.

I pale in comparison to my brother's accomplishments . He's a state of Wisconsin and US National Special Olympics coach for over 30+ years. He knows the meaning of champions.

and if you want to shorten my name, I prefer you use the other 3 letters and call me by what most people call me: BIGs !

Actually I don't make things up. I do sometimes make mistakes. And I'm terrible with names and dates. I've just lived a very extraordinary life that most people would never believe could possibly happen. I realize there are many people who doubt my words. My military record is most likely a matter of public record. PMO has a recording of me singing Sweet Little Jesus Boy at a PMO Christmas Show. you can find my son's bio at the SIU track page. You can sniff my Coach K autographed shoe. You can see me among the fans as part of Clifford Alexander's AAU highlight reel. My son was the Illinois Bear he dunked on. My wife is an optometrist and graduated from Eye U (the Indiana University posters probably know where Eye U is) and when not posting tonight, I was at a Church financial meeting, a sea scout committee meeting, and a Lions Club meeting. and there are 19 cases of Pepsi products in my car to be sold at an upcoming haunted hayride. There are two U.S,. flags that are prominently displayed in my house. One that flew over Iraq, and one that flew over Afghanistan. And in 8th grade I made 2 of 2 Ft attempts for a 100% Ft percentage. In high school, I played church league basketball with former Twins GM Terri Ryan, and was a friend to Sen Fiengold's sister who is now a female Jewish Rabbi. I made two federal budget proposals that were fully funded. it's in a freedom of information act file. and I live in the same community as SI Boiler, although he'd never admit on this board that he actually knows me.

I pale in comparison to my brother's accomplishments . He's a state of Wisconsin and US National Special Olympics coach for over 30+ years. He knows the meaning of champions.

and if you want to shorten my name, I prefer you use the other 3 letters and call me by what most people call me: BIGs !

You have sort of an ego, don't you?

Reactions: tynd10
You have sort of an ego, don't you?

Each of us has an EGO. otherwise we would not share our thoughts and opinions on the internet. the greater the number of posts, the greater the ego. Why do you post other than to let others know how much you know?

What I just posted are the things that didn't make my resume. I'm actually a very humble guy, until somebody calls me out as a liar. I'm proud I have a life outside this forum, unlike some. .

Wow. That's the first time I've seen "integrity" coupled with "mumbo jumbo." Well done you.

Also, you're addressing two different issues. I agree that athletes should be compensated. So you somehow conflate that problem with...a coach being intentionally deceptive to players? By your argument, because players are being exploited, coaches should exploit them even more. I find that pretty disturbing, but maybe it's that silly "integrity" issue I have getting in the way again.

I find that notion disturbing as well. That's not what I was saying at all. I respect the hell out of Painter for operating with integrity throughout the recruiting process, and I want him to keep doing so.

My point was, to whoever I was responding to: don't act like you're so morally high and mighty when a lot of these same people ripping on college coaches for slimy tactics are the same ones who think it's perfectly fine that they get paid millions and that the players shouldn't get anything.

I agree - those are two different issues, so probably a slight stretch by me to intertwine the two, but please don't go putting words in my mouth saying I think coaches should just exploit players even more. I don't think that AT ALL.

I was just trying to highlight that the system is immoral, at its core.

i think there may be a mix of different aspects that have led to the arguments here.
when looking at a broader picture, it reveals the importance of several things.

recruit rankings & individual success:

most of the highly recruited players have aspirations of being drafted and earning that pro paycheck.
recruit rankings have provided good indications at who will be drafted.
over nearly a decade period:
-5 stars: 63% drafted
-4 stars: 15%
-3 stars: 3%
-less than 3 star: 0.4%
(and even within the 3 star category... named in the top 150 = 7.5% drafted, outside the top 150 = 1.6%).

recruit rankings & team success:
a team's success can be enhanced by the higher rated players (who end up pros), but also by their experience level.
over nearly the same recent time frame (8years thru 2014), the info was:

-average recruit rankings of the starters on the championship team:
10, 21, 26, 29, 33, 38, 66, 70.

-class of the leading scorer of the championship team:
Fr - 1 team,
Jr - 4 teams,
Sr - 3 teams.

-only 6 of the final four teams had more than 1 one-and-done freshman (most of those calipari's)
Thank you for posting this. This is what I have been stating over several different threads. Where did you pull this information from?

So if a coach cheats and gets all those final fours you would trade it with Painter's record? Got it, you have zero integrity the if something so irrelevant to life means that much to you that you are willing to have a a coach cheat to get it and tarnish a university's name.

So, you're saying Izzo cheated? Do you have proof? If so, I'm sure the NCAA would be very interested in whatever evidence you have.
And to answer your question, no, I don't want Painter to cheat. But, am I OK with him doing/saying what needs to be said/done (within the rules) to land some 5 star talent? Hell yes.

He clearly stated: "Well, what ever he's doing, I'd trade Painters tourney record for Izzo's, no questions asked".

Which contradict what you are saying here.

Edit: But then again, maybe it was this you were referring to: https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/painter-at-center-grove-this-morning.126266/#post-1476430

Which is what YOU said almost verbatim to your comment above. You forget to switch ID's when replying?

As I said, as long as it's within the rules, I'm OK with it.
Am I OK with Painter promising a kid a starting position? Sure. Am I OK telling a kid he'll be the focus of the offense and he'll do whatever he can to get him to the NBA. Sure.

I don't know if Izzo "cheats" to get recruits or not, nor do I really care. But to suggest that you (not you) would trade records of some sports program and ask no questions is just mind boggling to me and shows just one big lack of integrity.

Here's the only questions that need to be asked:
"Did you do anything outside the rules?"
"Has the NCAA approved of whatever it is you're doing?"
"Have you done anything in your recruiting activities that the NCAA might question?"
My suspicion is the answer to all those questions is "No". In which case, I'm good with.

You are exactly right, and that's my issue. He shouldn't tell them they have to beat out the senior starters. If he weren't so honest we may have more than just Biggie and Moore as top 30 players. Is it a coincidence that the only time Painter has won the big ten, or been to the sweet 16 he has had a top 30 player?

Unless we have a son who is a 5* recruit who Painter is recruiting, none of us really knows what Painter says or doesn't tell these kids. Sure, we can speculate and used hearsay, but unless we've been in the office, we don't know.
If Painter is telling kids something that is causing them to choose another school when he could have said something else that would bring them to PU, then that's on Painter and in my opinion, a poor recruiting tactic.

So, you're saying Izzo cheated? Do you have proof? If so, I'm sure the NCAA would be very interested in whatever evidence you have.
And to answer your question, no, I don't want Painter to cheat. But, am I OK with him doing/saying what needs to be said/done (within the rules) to land some 5 star talent? Hell yes.
Yes, one game suspension. Izzo Cheeted.

Reactions: BBG
i think there may be a mix of different aspects that have led to the arguments here.
when looking at a broader picture, it reveals the importance of several things.

recruit rankings & individual success:

most of the highly recruited players have aspirations of being drafted and earning that pro paycheck.
recruit rankings have provided good indications at who will be drafted.
over nearly a decade period:
-5 stars: 63% drafted
-4 stars: 15%
-3 stars: 3%
-less than 3 star: 0.4%
(and even within the 3 star category... named in the top 150 = 7.5% drafted, outside the top 150 = 1.6%).

recruit rankings & team success:
a team's success can be enhanced by the higher rated players (who end up pros), but also by their experience level.
over nearly the same recent time frame (8years thru 2014), the info was:

-average recruit rankings of the starters on the championship team:
10, 21, 26, 29, 33, 38, 66, 70.

-class of the leading scorer of the championship team:
Fr - 1 team,
Jr - 4 teams,
Sr - 3 teams.

-only 6 of the final four teams had more than 1 one-and-done freshman (most of those calipari's)
well this is not statistically apples to apples because of how the players are binned in the star ratings. 5* are always going to be a select few. If the 4* group were as limited you would see similar numbers. But the 4* group is usually 3 to 4 times the size of the 5* group. I'm sure it would be hard to do this, but if you looked at top 50 4* star kids you'd get a closer representation. Also I'd bet if you look at the top 5 vs all 5* you'd get some major differences. Statistically you'd expect only about the top .03% to be special. Not coincidentally, the statistical breakdown is close to reality. Approximately three percent of male and female high school basketball players go on to play college basketball, and only about one percent of those players turn pro.

Last edited:
Unless we have a son who is a 5* recruit who Painter is recruiting, none of us really knows what Painter says or doesn't tell these kids. Sure, we can speculate and used hearsay, but unless we've been in the office, we don't know.
If Painter is telling kids something that is causing them to choose another school when he could have said something else that would bring them to PU, then that's on Painter and in my opinion, a poor recruiting tactic.
. I'm speaking as a parent who son went through the whole process with many many coaches in home visits , official visits , phone calls everything that coaches do to convince their program is for you. I sat in front of painter and his staff and yes he selling his program to the fullest. Remember this if a kid has a chance to be able to play at the next level most coaches will sell you on that as well as painter does. Can't sell that to every kid let's be real but many will encourage you to keep working and getting better you have just about as much a chance as any other prospect. He sold it on us too not that I needed to no that from him or any other coach I feel my son definitely has a chance to play at the next level with his skill level , high basketball IQ with size to match at 6"7 with PG skills that can play multiple positions in college and in the pros. Painter has a basketball mind his knowledge of the game is just as good as any coach out here as any of the big time coaches. Pay attention to how coaches are coaching especially the blue blood schools most just adapt to what their players can do whatever their level is they just happen to have a few more talented players at least what people say. Painter takes a so call lesser players bcuz of what some rankings people say and turn a diamond into a stone he gets the most out of his players find out their weakness work on them and build on their strengths. His basketball IQ is a perfect fit for my son basketball IQ and I no he gonna get the most out of my son and the rest of this team. His approach of recruiting is not far off of what other coaches do he just give it to you real but he sticks to his word if he say he gonna do something. So many coaches will sell you on a pipe dream and when you get there that dream don't become a reality than that kid is unhappy bcuz he was told he will b the man but that same coach said that to every recruit too. If you look at biggie and Carson they were sold on being themselves and that is how they played within reason and that is what you hope a coach do keep his word when he was 1st recruiting you and I'm telling you many don't he does. Now painter has the pieces to play with the big boys and this team is gonna be scary scary good.

Any five star player Purdue gets would not have a problem with playing time here. Five star players don't fall off trees. 95% of the time a five-star player would start anywhere he chooses to go

we have a parent of a 4 star recruit on the board - does that count? Treed1967 is Nojel Eastern's mom.

I find that notion disturbing as well. That's not what I was saying at all. I respect the hell out of Painter for operating with integrity throughout the recruiting process, and I want him to keep doing so.

My point was, to whoever I was responding to: don't act like you're so morally high and mighty when a lot of these same people ripping on college coaches for slimy tactics are the same ones who think it's perfectly fine that they get paid millions and that the players shouldn't get anything.

I agree - those are two different issues, so probably a slight stretch by me to intertwine the two, but please don't go putting words in my mouth saying I think coaches should just exploit players even more. I don't think that AT ALL.

I was just trying to highlight that the system is immoral, at its core.

You quoted me, so I assume you were responding to me. Reasonable, right? So the "don't act like you're so morally high and mighty" comment would also--I assume--be addressed to me.

What elicited that comment was my belief that coaches shouldn't knowingly mislead recruits. I hardly think that's "morally high and mighty"; I think that's basic human decency. One hardly needs to be Mahatma Gandhi to see that.

Last edited:
. I'm speaking as a parent who son went through the whole process with many many coaches in home visits , official visits , phone calls everything that coaches do to convince their program is for you. I sat in front of painter and his staff and yes he selling his program to the fullest. Remember this if a kid has a chance to be able to play at the next level most coaches will sell you on that as well as painter does. Can't sell that to every kid let's be real but many will encourage you to keep working and getting better you have just about as much a chance as any other prospect. He sold it on us too not that I needed to no that from him or any other coach I feel my son definitely has a chance to play at the next level with his skill level , high basketball IQ with size to match at 6"7 with PG skills that can play multiple positions in college and in the pros. Painter has a basketball mind his knowledge of the game is just as good as any coach out here as any of the big time coaches. Pay attention to how coaches are coaching especially the blue blood schools most just adapt to what their players can do whatever their level is they just happen to have a few more talented players at least what people say. Painter takes a so call lesser players bcuz of what some rankings people say and turn a diamond into a stone he gets the most out of his players find out their weakness work on them and build on their strengths. His basketball IQ is a perfect fit for my son basketball IQ and I no he gonna get the most out of my son and the rest of this team. His approach of recruiting is not far off of what other coaches do he just give it to you real but he sticks to his word if he say he gonna do something. So many coaches will sell you on a pipe dream and when you get there that dream don't become a reality than that kid is unhappy bcuz he was told he will b the man but that same coach said that to every recruit too. If you look at biggie and Carson they were sold on being themselves and that is how they played within reason and that is what you hope a coach do keep his word when he was 1st recruiting you and I'm telling you many don't he does. Now painter has the pieces to play with the big boys and this team is gonna be scary scary good.
Thanks for sharing your perspective. Great to hear from an actual parent. Look forward to great things from your son, and extremely happy he chose Purdue. Got a chance to catch a few parts of the WUG and Nojel can definitely take it to the rack. I'm not sure we've had anyone like him. I've been following Purdue since '88.

All the best, Ron

Reactions: tjreese
So being honest with a recruit is a poor recruiting tactic? You're right, that is on Painter and I am glad he is doing it myself. Misleading a recruit just so he picks your school is terrible recruiting IMO and winning a title just isn't that important (again IMO).

You're digging yourself in to a mighty big hole there lenny. Keep in mind, we do have one of the parents on here of a current player that showed where Painter's honesty paid off.

I think you're wrapping entirely too much up in to getting a recruit just to win a game and something that won't be remembered in a couple years.

You quoted me, so I assume you were responding to me. Reasonable, right? So the "don't act like you're so morally high and mighty" comment would also--I assume--be addressed to me.

What elicited that comment was my belief that coaches shouldn't knowingly mislead recruits. I hardly think that's "morally high and mighty"; I think that's basic human decency. One hardly needs to be Mahatma Gandhi to see that.

lol that's fair!

If you're NE mom, then thank you for coming on here and commenting and sharing your experience.
So, help us understand from the perspective of a parent who's son was highly recruited by high major programs and has a chance to play at the next level: In your opinion, why isn't Painter landing more of these top level recruits?
Does he not tell recruits what they want to hear?
Are recruits scared off by the academic requirements of Purdue?
What can he do differently that will get more of these 5* recruits to come to Purdue?
By the way, I'm looking forward to seeing Nojel play. He's going to be a difference-maker.

Stretching the truth is not cheating. See my last post to "Steel" where I outlined what I meant. I'm sure Archie is stretching truths, but I'm also sure what he is doing isn't illegal. I work in sales, so I stretch truths every day. You have to in order to win the deal.
Maybe it's not "cheating" but it certainly is lying.
I've bought items from salesmen like you and typically have badmouthed them for years to everyone when their name comes up... even when I wound up OK with the product itself.
I can only imagine what my comments would be to others if I became aware that a coach lied recruiting my grandchildren.

Any five star player Purdue gets would not have a problem with playing time here. Five star players don't fall off trees. 95% of the time a five-star player would start anywhere he chooses to go
You are and idiot sir a down right A hope of a man who thinks he knows everything that comes out of your mouth on this board. You are absolutely wrong if you think Matt painter would compromise his name to accommodate a 5 star player you out of you mind. Maybe other schools would do that which Is why some won't bother to come to purdue Because he isn't promising these so called star status players NOTHING. You a down right idiot if you believe that SIR. You need to find a life because it's one thing to come a message board and give your opinion or even have a debate but you hide behind a keyboard say things that makes you look more miserable as I thought you were. my son may not have a status behind his name bcuz I have never ever concerned myself with man made rankings neither has my son but only concerned myself as well as my son to him putting work in the gym to get better and he has since the 4th grade. He better player than many many so call 5 star players I no this I was in the gym when he played against many of those kids at Duke Kentucky Louisville Kansas etc all at the USA tryouts and on the EYBL circuit and he did his thang against many of them. He's being look at as we speak by pro scouts sir he is that good. Stop your negative rant you now look very silly with your negative remarks. get a life

Reactions: PurdueGator and BBG
Maybe it's not "cheating" but it certainly is lying.
I've bought items from salesmen like you and typically have badmouthed them for years to everyone when their name comes up... even when I wound up OK with the product itself.
I can only imagine what my comments would be to others if I became aware that a coach lied recruiting my grandchildren.
Maybe it comes down to Painter telling kids they will have a chance to compete for minutes and potentially start instead of telling them they will be the starter day 1.

I think what you see with all the transfers each year is kids are recruited over and told they will have a chance to be a starter day 1 when that might not be the case. Then you either the incumbent starter ticked off because he is losing playing time to a freshman or you tick off the freshman because he was never going to start over the incumbent.

If you're NE mom, then thank you for coming on here and commenting and sharing your experience.
So, help us understand from the perspective of a parent who's son was highly recruited by high major programs and has a chance to play at the next level: In your opinion, why isn't Painter landing more of these top level recruits?
Does he not tell recruits what they want to hear?
Are recruits scared off by the academic requirements of Purdue?
What can he do differently that will get more of these 5* recruits to come to Purdue?
By the way, I'm looking forward to seeing Nojel play. He's going to be a difference-maker.
I really am Nojel mother but to answer your question I kinda just touched on it responding to that idiot boiler 1973. Academics surely plays a role my son worked hard to get into purdue academically but other reasons painter don't make promises to any recruit and many of these so call 5 star players bcuz of there Statius many feel they will come in right away and start. Some cases it's a need some cases these kids are being lied to made promises too than they get there now they not being used like the coach said he wud. Many of these coaches sell the same story to every top tier recruit but many cant deliver on those promises bcuz so many situations can happen throughout a course of a season. Sir seriously do not get caught up in all this 5 star status mombo jumbo stuff it's one man or woman opinion and bcuz you have that label behind your name doesn't mean you better than a 3star player. I watched many kids who has that label chose a school bcuz of the name of a coach or name of a school got to the blue blood school and now sitting on the bench and has the same status as the 6 other all Americans harry giles ,marquess bolden, sacha Killy Jones to name a few and these guys don't and did not play much at all. Chase Jeter sat on the bench 2 years same status than he transferred you get were I'm going with this. Purdue is kinda of an acquired taste you either like what they have to offer or you don't and some kids just prefer to go to bigger well known school than come to a school that best fit who they are as player. My son chose purdue bcuz he felt it was the right fit for who he is as a player and Matt painter to me his knowledge of basketball is outstanding. Painter did well with this class he brought in athletes , size , length, skill players that all can play and defend multiple positions He got horses now to compete with the Kansas ,"Louisvilles of the world. I'm telling you purdue is on the rise may never in the eyes of most be an elite program but it's a program that can compete with many big time programs out here. Glad my son chose purdue you gonna love my son and this team and this team is gonna be scary scary good.

Reactions: Schnelk
You are and idiot sir a down right A hope of a man who thinks he knows everything that comes out of your mouth on this board. You are absolutely wrong if you think Matt painter would compromise his name to accommodate a 5 star player you out of you mind. Maybe other schools would do that which Is why some won't bother to come to purdue Because he isn't promising these so called star status players NOTHING. You a down right idiot if you believe that SIR. You need to find a life because it's one thing to come a message board and give your opinion or even have a debate but you hide behind a keyboard say things that makes you look more miserable as I thought you were. my son may not have a status behind his name bcuz I have never ever concerned myself with man made rankings neither has my son but only concerned myself as well as my son to him putting work in the gym to get better and he has since the 4th grade. He better player than many many so call 5 star players I no this I was in the gym when he played against many of those kids at Duke Kentucky Louisville Kansas etc all at the USA tryouts and on the EYBL circuit and he did his thang against many of them. He's being look at as we speak by pro scouts sir he is that good. Stop your negative rant you now look very silly with your negative remarks. get a life

Ms. Reed, we appreciate your contribution to this board as we normally don't get inside recruiting insights too often, but I think your response to the above post is way too harsh.

"Boilerman1973" may or may not be a troll but has not been out of line from what I could see. I may not agree with his posts a lot of the times but I also don't want this board to turn into some type of a cult where only one type of opinion can be expressed.

Reactions: tynd10
How did you and your son like Mike Ellis at Evanston? I coached track at his previous school and always got on well with him and was sorry to see him leave.
Great guy great coach glad my son got to be coached by him. He is what you called married to basketball but got my son prepared for college that is for sure. Truly the best 4 years my son had being coached by mike

I am young. FWIW my father is a very successful salesman, who taught me everything I know about sales. I will trust his judgement over just about anyone. Thanks for the advice though.
I knew a family whose mother taught her kids the fine art of shoplifting. She taught them to run if spotted, and lie if caught. They were proud of their momma, too.

Just because you learned it from your dad doesn't make it virtuous. In my long career, if I found that a salesman "stretched the truth" in dealing with me, trust was destroyed and my company was no longer a customer for him and the company he worked for. The same goes with my home life. If you are intentionally "stretching the truth", then your intent is to deceive. That is lying, plain and simple.

Well said and so glad you are here with your insight. 73 I highly doubt is really a Purdue fan or grad to begin with and has done nothing but post negativity from what I have seen of his time here.

Sadly, we have little to no moderation on this site so our only course is to ignore people like that. Thank you again for your insight and I am super excited that your son is a Boiler.

If the situation called for being precise I would obviously be precise. I work for a software company. When companies buy our software they need it heavily modded to fit their needs. The deadlines I was speaking of come from these mods. It costs the clients $0 to push Go-Live a week or two if necessary. As I have stated, my company has never had complaints with this as our sales plan. It works. My company is happy, the clients are happy, and I am happy. It's all good.

Ok, we are on the same page now. Please allow me to paraphrase your position, so correct me if I'm wrong: So if a topic is not of great consequence or importance (e.g. client doesn't care if a go-live is a week or two late) then stretching the truth is ok. For important aspects, then telling the truth is important. That makes sense.

Let me add this: A key presumption of my position is that ALL topics are pertinent (if a topic is not pertinent...who cares, why even discuss it other than shooting the breeze). This gets back to what coaches are selling the players. I would venture to guess that the overwhelming majoring of high level players (Like NE) place a high importance on how the coach will use them or how many minutes they expect to play. Based on your logic (and mine), these important topics are not ones to stretch the truth on.

Ms. Reed, we appreciate your contribution to this board as we normally don't get inside recruiting insights too often, but I think your response to the above post is way too harsh.

"Boilerman1973" may or may not be a troll but has not been out of line from what I could see. I may not agree with his posts a lot of the times but I also don't want this board to turn into some type of a cult where only one type of opinion can be expressed.

I couldn't disagree with you more. 1973 has offered nothing and has been ignored by a lot of posters. He doesn't have an opinion. He is literally spewing garbage to get a ride out of folks. This isn't about silencing valid differing opinions. I do think everybody should stop responding to him, because he will go away or change his name again and start over. I feel bad for his sad existence, but no he shouldn't be defended.

Reactions: Do Dah Day and BBG

I probably went a little over board but he thinks he knows it all and if he post such negative things that only he thinks is right. Opinions are opinions that's one thing but if he claims to be the fan he saids he is he surely don't act like it. I'm woman enough to admit when I'm wrong and I appreciate your response to what I said and I'm went to far with this one. A fan of 35 years so he say to me is not a fan and man so mad at Matt painter bcuz he hasn't given him a final 4 appearance. I accept ones opinion and facts if you present it I may not agree with it but I'll accept it. He's just saying things to say things to get up under people skin and today it got up under mine and for that I will actually apologize to this guy for some of the things I said but I still think he his way out remarks and comments are mean and so negative. Anyway I thank you for your response and I truly appreciate your honesty.

Maybe it comes down to Painter telling kids they will have a chance to compete for minutes and potentially start instead of telling them they will be the starter day 1.

I think what you see with all the transfers each year is kids are recruited over and told they will have a chance to be a starter day 1 when that might not be the case. Then you either the incumbent starter ticked off because he is losing playing time to a freshman or you tick off the freshman because he was never going to start over the incumbent.
You so dead on with that response bcuz in many cases that is absolutely true. I seen it over and over again.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
So being honest with a recruit is a poor recruiting tactic? You're right, that is on Painter and I am glad he is doing it myself. Misleading a recruit just so he picks your school is terrible recruiting IMO and winning a title just isn't that important (again IMO).

You're digging yourself in to a mighty big hole there lenny. Keep in mind, we do have one of the parents on here of a current player that showed where Painter's honesty paid off.

I think you're wrapping entirely too much up in to getting a recruit just to win a game and something that won't be remembered in a couple years.
lack of honesty is a short term success.

Reactions: Dakota Girl and BBG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT