ADVERTISEMENT

Painter at Center Grove this morning

indyrocket

Gold Member
Sep 25, 2008
Coach Painter was at CG this morning to watch Trayce Jackson-Davis at their 6 am workouts. Unfortunately, so was Michigan, Virginia, and Clemson. Also Izzo and 2 assistants, Miller and assistant, Iowa, Ohio State have also been to CG this week to see him. His recruiting is off the charts.

MSU, IU, and Purdue are the favorites in that bunch. He is a top 50 right now with a very high ceiling. My guess is that Louisville and Xavier will get in the mix shortly. I think Purdue, IU, and MSU are all relatively close in odds of landing him. I think what all three teams do this year matters. MSU is overloaded with big men, but they will have a need in the '19 class for at least 1. Jackson-Davis said he wanted to commit early, but he blew up over the summer. Now, he has a decision to make.

Logically, based on use and development, Purdue is the best fit. However, many other things factor in. Family/friends/lady friends attending the different schools, campus, academics (sometimes wanting higher academics, and sometimes needing lower), coaches, proximity to home, program success, and program history.

I think it will take more than being the obvious fit. The bottom line is, Purdue needs to win. They need to make atleast a final four. Until that happens, teams won't be worried when they get involved in recruiting. This year has to be a statement year. Can you imagine a class of KBJ, Jackson-Davis, and Thompson? That would be a national top 5 class that is well rounded and would fit perfectly together and make them a favorite for a banner. Conversely, if IU lands KBJ and Jackson-Davis even Crean couldn't screw that up. We got some time between now and then. Purdue needs to focus on the now and handle their business. That will help the future more than anything.

Painter is wasting his time with this kid not going to happen either IU or Michigan State will get him. We will not out recruit either school anymore we will play Third fiddle to them. I know I'm a troll but proof will be in the pudding these next 3 or 4 years it's already in the pudding for Michigan State.

Reactions: Iuzach04
Painter is wasting his time with this kid not going to happen either IU or Michigan State will get him. We will not out recruit either school anymore we will play Third fiddle to them. I know I'm a troll but proof will be in the pudding these next 3 or 4 years it's already in the pudding for Michigan State.
Caleb Swanigan says "hi", troll.

Reactions: SnowLeopard
a question I have.

the vast majority of positive and negative posters here seem to agree on one thing - this year's team is a Sweet 16 team. and if we get lucky, maybe more.

my question is in multiple parts. What if that's as high as we go? Most would say great season, blah, blah, and blah. Some would be disappointed.

the above post by Stick says IF we make the final 4, we'd have a good chance of signing Trayce Jackson Davis. Does that mean if we're only a sweet 16, we have no chance of signing him? must we be a final 4 team?

the second part, is what if Purdue , MSU and IU are all sweet 16 and nothing more? Would IU and MSU still have a good chance of signing him? or would they also be out of the picture as well?

Am I interpreting what you said as MSU and IU would be in the running to sign him, but Purdue would only be in the running if we made the final 4?

is it sort of like Langford? IU did nothing last year, but is still in the running to sign him? but since Purdue had the better season , but didn't make the final 4, we're not in the running?

So in order to land the top recruits, Purdue needs to make the final 4 to compete with I U and MSU. and until we do, we will almost always lose out?

if Purdue had made the final 4, would Embery, Anderson and Phinisee and the guy who went to MSU choose Purdue instead ?

is making the final 4 become that big of a factor between Purdue and IU and MSU ? I can see why somebody would want to play for Izzo over Painter. I'm sorry, I'm not sure what the draw is at IU and why elite players still want to go there.

a question I have.

the vast majority of positive and negative posters here seem to agree on one thing - this year's team is a Sweet 16 team. and if we get lucky, maybe more.

my question is in multiple parts. What if that's as high as we go? Most would say great season, blah, blah, and blah. Some would be disappointed.

the above post by Stick says IF we make the final 4, we'd have a good chance of signing Trayce Jackson Davis. Does that mean if we're only a sweet 16, we have no chance of signing him? must we be a final 4 team?

the second part, is what if Purdue , MSU and IU are all sweet 16 and nothing more? Would IU and MSU still have a good chance of signing him? or would they also be out of the picture as well?

Am I interpreting what you said as MSU and IU would be in the running to sign him, but Purdue would only be in the running if we made the final 4?

is it sort of like Langford? IU did nothing last year, but is still in the running to sign him? but since Purdue had the better season , but didn't make the final 4, we're not in the running?

So in order to land the top recruits, Purdue needs to make the final 4 to compete with I U and MSU. and until we do, we will almost always lose out?

if Purdue had made the final 4, would Embery, Anderson and Phinisee and the guy who went to MSU choose Purdue instead ?

is making the final 4 become that big of a factor between Purdue and IU and MSU ? I can see why somebody would want to play for Izzo over Painter. I'm sorry, I'm not sure what the draw is at IU and why elite players still want to go there.
I can break it down to the simplest terms possible. I want PU to win every game they play no mater when that game is taking place. The only reason I pay any attention to the recruiting is my way of trying to figure out if we are getting closer to acheaving my personal goal. If you are a true PU fan you want the same thing.

My wife of 23 year has told me countless times that a PU win or loss cannot dectate my mood for the rest of the day. That's how mad I get with a loss to Nebraska or Kansas. It does not matter to me.

Assembling a good team of recruited players plays a part in getting to the end goal, but so much more goes into it.

I have watched so many basketball games in my life it is almost sicking. I have seen it all. Teams that could not miss. Better teams that could not buy a basket (think the Stanford game in St. Louis) (PU shot something like 29% in that game).

Recruiting good players increases probability but it does not garrentee anything. We have the talent to win it all this year. We just need everything to go right for the whole year. This is true for every champion of any league.

I have been a life long Cubs fan and one of my dreams came true last year. It took talent (85%) good fourtune (15%) to make it all work out.

I am rambling, but my point is our players are plenty good enough to win but if they have a bad night at the right time it's all over. I don't look at it as if they were not good enough, they just did not get it done.

Recruiting is a mystery to me. I wish better players wanted to come to PU but I am never disappointed with the players we get. I trust MP because he has a he$$ of reasons to make this and every team as good as he can. I am a passenger in this thing, like everyone else.

And you wonder why people call you a troll.

it's funny and kind of strange how people say Painter is wasting his time recruiting a certain player. Painter and his staff have about 1000 times more knowledge than the rest of us, of what they are looking for in a player and what players they have a good chance of getting a commit. Talk all you want about recruiting but lets not bad mouth Painter on this please.

Just a gauge here of my fellow posters....how many of you have blocked 1973 at this point? I mean, I try to keep him unblocked because it's never a bad thing to see the opposing view of arguments but it generally just seems he is either totally depressed (complains about it being sunny and then complains that it is cloudy kind of thing) or just a total troll to fill his time from missing sliding in to the Clapper's tanning booth after Tommy left for the evening.

Caleb Swanigan says "hi", troll.
I don't know much about this recruitment, but the angle that Painter has here is his 4 NBA big man millionaires: Landry, JJ, Hammons, and Swanigan. It's always tough to land players with so many high profile suitors, but there are parallels to Swanigan and I am glad to see Painter competing.

I have found out that there are some, mostly older Purdue people,out there that don't believe that MP can get the job done. I, myself,am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. So 73 is not saying anything different than what I hear out here. I am a glass half full kinda person and obviously 73 is not. The answer to your question is that, no I have not b

Just a gauge here of my fellow posters....how many of you have blocked 1973 at this point? I mean, I try to keep him unblocked because it's never a bad thing to see the opposing view of arguments but it generally just seems he is either totally depressed (complains about it being sunny and then complains that it is cloudy kind of thing) or just a total troll to fill his time from missing sliding in to the Clapper's tanning booth after Tommy left for the evening.
I have never blocked anyone. I take the approach that a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while and everyone "could" end up saying something to think about adn so I try to read everyones posts in any threads of interest

Reactions: Dakota Girl
Here u go again trying to find a way to sell your points on what purdue will or won't get. Does it matter if pieces don't fit. I'll say it again whether you a 5 star all Americans doesn't mean these new wave of kids gonna come into college and make the impact you happen to think they would only time will tell. I don't care what 2018 prospect it is too 10 in the country until they step foot on that college court his or her rankings mean absolutely nothing. You sir get a life your dislike for purdue is obvious and quite sad in my opinion. Hope to see you at Mackey come up and introduce yourself so I can make sure every single player on that team no who you are and to give you a hug bcuz you absolutely need one. You my friend have no life as it seems probably no friends but yet come on a board and offer such criticism of painter recruiting. I say again if you can do better and convince kids to come to purdue man offer your services you seem to no everything else. Do us all a favor sir find a team you like bcuz this team or this university can do better than you being a fan. Keep the criticisms coming bcuz you reallly are even more ignorant than what I thought. Blessing to you

You better keep that final four out of your mouth bro or they're going to call you a troll
i-dont-always-ban-idiots-but-when-i-do-i-laugh-at-them.jpg

I know exactly where 1973 is coming from. I'm a lifetime Mil bucks fan. and they've had a lot of good seasons, but only 1 championship (we were robbed twice - different story) . I'm also a lifetime Brewers fan. I was a fan on both of those franchise's first day. I'm also a lifetime Packers fan. I'm a very loyal fan.

Each of those teams has message forums much like this one. Each of those forums have a lot of positive fans much like this one. And if you say anything negative, all those positive fans get all over your case. And each year those positive fans praise the front office and say this is going to be our year. And each year, there is a negative guy who says no way are the brewers ever going to be better than the Cubs or Cards or Dodgers. Each year there is a Bucks fan who says no way will the Bucks ever beat Cleveland as long as LeBron is there. And while that person is hated all year, at the end of each year for the past 40 years, their comments were proven spot on. And everyone hates them even more for telling the truth and ruining their dreams.

About 3-4 years ago, a bunch of Bucks fans started a local protest and collected some money and built a billboard saying it takes balls to build a championship. They created a movement which essentially was telling ownership, we're tired of mediocrity, and we want the team to tank so we can draft an actual player. They ended up with the second pick in the draft and drafted Jabari parker. Admittedly he's been a bust and injured two of his 3 seasons. As part of that movement, the owner sold his team, and a new owner and coach were brought in. and most fans are happy and positive again. But the facts remain, the Bucks are still a mediocre team and will never beat Cleveland as long as LeBron is there. and much like Purdue, Milwaukee is not a great recruiting town. The only way an all star goes to Milwaukee is if he's drafted. No marquee FA goes to Milwaukee. and players that are traded their leave their first opportunity. Like Purdue, the bucks are never a really bad team. they've made the play-offs / tourney plenty of times. But they never make the "Finals" . and their fans keep saying al l we need is some luck and a good match-up and a break and we'll win that championship. The last championship the Bucks on was 1970. The last finals they appeared in was the early 80's. Much like Purdue, they're competitive. but it sure would be nice to win a championship.

and here's the problem. After being a fan for over 40 years, I'm not so sure the coaches or ownership are any smarter than most of the fans. I would never have made 75% of their moves. and a couple were made solely to sell tickets. but yo u have fans who believe because they are ownership, they must know what they are doing. The problem is "THEY DON'T" much like the NY Knicks.

I was once banned fro m the Gridiron forum because I was so negative against hope, Hazell and the players they both recruited. but then other fans started to say the same things I had said 2-3 years prior. and everybody became negative. and everybody stopped going to the games.

the problem as I see it, is you have one person speaking his mind and you hate him because his disagrees with you. And yo u hate him more because your fear he is right. And you will hate him even more after the season is over. but for the most part , he is saying the same thing you all are. the cup is half full. We al l expect Purdue to be a sweet 16 team, even Boilermaker 1973 has said that. And for many, a BIG 10 championship, 25 wins and a sweet 16 is a great season. but he is saying, he believes Purdue will achieve all those things, but he doubts they will ever advance any further. What he's saying is Purdue will never be one of the blue bloods that's always hyped to be a Final 4 team. Each year as the season starts, teams like Duke, Kansas, UNC, and UK are always hyped to be a Final 4 team. Even MSU and IU sometimes get hyped as a potential Final 4 team. however, outside of this forum, nobody ever sees Purdue as anything more than a top 15-20 team.

What will it take for the perception to go away? What will it take for people outside of Purdue to think of Purdue as an elite basketball program? To be thought of as an elite team, Purdue needs to become an elite team, and actually make the elite 8 or Final 4. Do we have the talent? yes. Do we have the coaching? yes. What do we need ? basically some luck and a win. I will never believe those UW, Butler or South Carolina teams were better than Purdue. but the ball went in the hoop.

Boilermaker 1973 is an I told you so type of guy. And we all hate that type of guy. but the facts are, what he has been saying is true. We haven't bee n to a final 4 since the days of Joe Barry Carrol. We haven't been to an elite 8 since BIG Dog. and people get tired of hearing about if only Robby Hummel wasn't injured. Other teams have suffered injuries to key players and still found a way to win. I remember the Knicks without Willis Reed. and the finals the Lakers played without Kareem and Magic Johnson played center. Championship teams find a way to win even when their key players are injured. Losers use injuries as excuses as to why they lost.

the cup is half full and half empty. We all see the same thing. it all depends on perception which half we see, and if we're thirsty.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerDeac
a question I have.

You make some good points and since I went through the recruitment process maybe I can offer up a reason. Purdue is that kinda school that are very well known for there academics something I did not no of 2/3 years ago. At 1st I'll be honest purdue wasn't even a choice of school we were looking at even evert Stevens went there had no relevance in our decision. Stevens graduated from same school my son graduated from Evanston HS. We were high on Mich st why bcuz it was Izzo his name was what was a selling point not necessarily a good fit for my son. As time went on painter and his coaches as well as many other coaches started to give their pitch why Nojel will be a good fit for there program and the more I did my homework on each school and there academics somethings became very clear many coaches lie and will tell many of these kids what they wanna hear and many say the same to other recruits and that can feed your ego real quick. I'm telling you that many of them do it i caught many of them lying to me till I called them on it. In this recruiting game it's so much politics that none of you no unless you go through the process and if you only new what really goes on probably will not surprise you. I say all this to say painter kept it real with us and I kept it real not only with painter and his staff I did with all the coaches that recruited my son. Painter made the biggest impression bcuz he never pressured us like so many tried for a commitment but instead he laid out his vision for my son and kept his word on how he would use my son. Never made promises just told us the truth and told us both if you come in and work you will play. My son has played the PG since the 6th grade even though he had already learned how to play other positions he than was told he will be a PG and this trainer who is his trainer to this day start preparing him to play that position bcuz he did not no how tall he was gonna b so he got him ready in case he did not grow anymore. Now he is a 6"7 PG that can play 4 positions and defend 4 positions. What sold us on purdue was a team that plays together about winning together and a staff that helps develop there players and a coach who did not look at my son size and say he will play only the 3/4 spot but saw my son enough for 2 years and said he is a PG who makes the team around them better , leader , winner , elite passer that just happen to be 6"7 but realize what and who he is and what he can help at that position. Many would have struck my son at the 3/4 position bcuz of his size even though he is a legit PG. he kept his word and that meant a lot to me and my son. Purdue getting to a final 4 won't make a difference in some of these kids mind bcu purdue in some of there eyes not an elite program with a HOF coach but yet purdue wins 20 something games every year and beat the very teams that many are going to. So much behind the scenes that many of you don't no what's going on and so many of these kids are being lied to bcuz so many wud rather play for the name of the school and not play for a school that fit who they are as a player. purdue is on the rise this class he brought in is gonna be really really good. I can see a final 4 this season they got all the pieces and athletes to defend their title and make a serious NCAA tournament run.

You make some good points and since I went through the recruitment process maybe I can offer up a reason. Purdue is that kinda school that are very well known for there academics something I did not no of 2/3 years ago. At 1st I'll be honest purdue wasn't even a choice of school we were looking at even evert Stevens went there had no relevance in our decision. Stevens graduated from same school my son graduated from Evanston HS. We were high on Mich st why bcuz it was Izzo his name was what was a selling point not necessarily a good fit for my son. As time went on painter and his coaches as well as many other coaches started to give their pitch why Nojel will be a good fit for there program and the more I did my homework on each school and there academics somethings became very clear many coaches lie and will tell many of these kids what they wanna hear and many say the same to other recruits and that can feed your ego real quick. I'm telling you that many of them do it i caught many of them lying to me till I called them on it. In this recruiting game it's so much politics that none of you no unless you go through the process and if you only new what really goes on probably will not surprise you. I say all this to say painter kept it real with us and I kept it real not only with painter and his staff I did with all the coaches that recruited my son. Painter made the biggest impression bcuz he never pressured us like so many tried for a commitment but instead he laid out his vision for my son and kept his word on how he would use my son. Never made promises just told us the truth and told us both if you come in and work you will play. My son has played the PG since the 6th grade even though he had already learned how to play other positions he than was told he will be a PG and this trainer who is his trainer to this day start preparing him to play that position bcuz he did not no how tall he was gonna b so he got him ready in case he did not grow anymore. Now he is a 6"7 PG that can play 4 positions and defend 4 positions. What sold us on purdue was a team that plays together about winning together and a staff that helps develop there players and a coach who did not look at my son size and say he will play only the 3/4 spot but saw my son enough for 2 years and said he is a PG who makes the team around them better , leader , winner , elite passer that just happen to be 6"7 but realize what and who he is and what he can help at that position. Many would have struck my son at the 3/4 position bcuz of his size even though he is a legit PG. he kept his word and that meant a lot to me and my son. Purdue getting to a final 4 won't make a difference in some of these kids mind bcu purdue in some of there eyes not an elite program with a HOF coach but yet purdue wins 20 something games every year and beat the very teams that many are going to. So much behind the scenes that many of you don't no what's going on and so many of these kids are being lied to bcuz so many wud rather play for the name of the school and not play for a school that fit who they are as a player. purdue is on the rise this class he brought in is gonna be really really good. I can see a final 4 this season they got all the pieces and athletes to defend their title and make a serious NCAA tournament run.

thanks. I've often thought of Painter as an honest coach. And I've often believed many coaches are slimeballs who just haven't been caught . Some recruits and families do their research, but many don't. We have a local boy who is 6'6 and is a 4* TE and has received offers from over 50+ major schools. he first committed to Arkansas because their coach promised him if he were injured in high school, he would still have a scholarship. it sounded great, so he committed. he then received an offer from Alabama. All of his friends told him he's a fool if he doesn't go to Alabama. but he wants to go to a college where he believes he'll have a chance to start as a sophomore. he decommited from Arkansas, and is finally doing some additional research before deciding. I'm confident he and his family will make the right decision. but so many others don't and just go to a school because of the name or the coach's name. Many players loved playing for Bobby Knight. but many others realized it was a huge mistake. they didn't do their research. they just signed.

You bring up a very good point, and I know it needs changing, and I'm not sure how to change it. When high school athletes talk about their dream team, they very seldom dream of playing for Purdue. My son's dream was to play for Michigan, and then become a Boston Celtic . Very few players think of Purdue until they meet Painter and look and see that Purdue has had an outstanding track record. Purdue was the BIG 10 champion last year, yet people still talk about MSU. Purdue made the sweet 16 last year, before playing Kansas at Kansas City. it's very hard to beat a #1 seed on their home turf. I fully believe Purdue could have made the Elite 8 and maybe Final 4 last year if we were in a different regional.

most of the people here know how great a team Purdue is! But we need to do a better job of selling that success. Winning 25+ games every year just isn't creating the press we need. We need to show people who we are on the national scene. maybe that will create the attention and open some eyes.

Thank you for sharing. Can't tell you how excited we were to get your son. I am really excited to watch him play live this fall.

...Purdue getting to a final 4 won't make a difference in some of these kids mind bcuz purdue in some of there eyes not an elite program with a HOF coach...

As usual, thanks for your perspective, I bet you could put together a great book for sports fans and/or to help the families of other recruits navigate these hard decisions.

I would hope a final four 4 would do a lot to open some eyes. In your opinion what could get Purdue into those elite ranks? Realistically, the HOF coach sentiment makes me think how nice it could be for us when he retires.

It's nice that you are willing to talk openly about what most of us on here thought Painter's approach to recruiting is. I remember when your son announced his choice in schools. You said something to Coach in the video clip that I saw. Looked like you were saying "he is in your hands now" It must be hard to ensure yourself that you are making the right decision. I believe you did make the correct decision. MP knows a thing or two about being a bigger than average PG.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I have never blocked anyone. I take the approach that a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while and everyone "could" end up saying something to think about adn so I try to read everyones posts in any threads of interest
This has also been my stance. I used to try and get him to see why he offends most people but I have given up on that.
I won't officially "ignore" him though.

Reactions: tjreese
I know exactly where 1973 is coming from. I'm a lifetime Mil bucks fan. and they've had a lot of good seasons, but only 1 championship (we were robbed twice - different story) . I'm also a lifetime Brewers fan. I was a fan on both of those franchise's first day. I'm also a lifetime Packers fan. I'm a very loyal fan.

Each of those teams has message forums much like this one. Each of those forums have a lot of positive fans much like this one. And if you say anything negative, all those positive fans get all over your case. And each year those positive fans praise the front office and say this is going to be our year. And each year, there is a negative guy who says no way are the brewers ever going to be better than the Cubs or Cards or Dodgers. Each year there is a Bucks fan who says no way will the Bucks ever beat Cleveland as long as LeBron is there. And while that person is hated all year, at the end of each year for the past 40 years, their comments were proven spot on. And everyone hates them even more for telling the truth and ruining their dreams.

About 3-4 years ago, a bunch of Bucks fans started a local protest and collected some money and built a billboard saying it takes balls to build a championship. They created a movement which essentially was telling ownership, we're tired of mediocrity, and we want the team to tank so we can draft an actual player. They ended up with the second pick in the draft and drafted Jabari parker. Admittedly he's been a bust and injured two of his 3 seasons. As part of that movement, the owner sold his team, and a new owner and coach were brought in. and most fans are happy and positive again. But the facts remain, the Bucks are still a mediocre team and will never beat Cleveland as long as LeBron is there. and much like Purdue, Milwaukee is not a great recruiting town. The only way an all star goes to Milwaukee is if he's drafted. No marquee FA goes to Milwaukee. and players that are traded their leave their first opportunity. Like Purdue, the bucks are never a really bad team. they've made the play-offs / tourney plenty of times. But they never make the "Finals" . and their fans keep saying al l we need is some luck and a good match-up and a break and we'll win that championship. The last championship the Bucks on was 1970. The last finals they appeared in was the early 80's. Much like Purdue, they're competitive. but it sure would be nice to win a championship.

and here's the problem. After being a fan for over 40 years, I'm not so sure the coaches or ownership are any smarter than most of the fans. I would never have made 75% of their moves. and a couple were made solely to sell tickets. but yo u have fans who believe because they are ownership, they must know what they are doing. The problem is "THEY DON'T" much like the NY Knicks.

I was once banned fro m the Gridiron forum because I was so negative against hope, Hazell and the players they both recruited. but then other fans started to say the same things I had said 2-3 years prior. and everybody became negative. and everybody stopped going to the games.

the problem as I see it, is you have one person speaking his mind and you hate him because his disagrees with you. And yo u hate him more because your fear he is right. And you will hate him even more after the season is over. but for the most part , he is saying the same thing you all are. the cup is half full. We al l expect Purdue to be a sweet 16 team, even Boilermaker 1973 has said that. And for many, a BIG 10 championship, 25 wins and a sweet 16 is a great season. but he is saying, he believes Purdue will achieve all those things, but he doubts they will ever advance any further. What he's saying is Purdue will never be one of the blue bloods that's always hyped to be a Final 4 team. Each year as the season starts, teams like Duke, Kansas, UNC, and UK are always hyped to be a Final 4 team. Even MSU and IU sometimes get hyped as a potential Final 4 team. however, outside of this forum, nobody ever sees Purdue as anything more than a top 15-20 team.

What will it take for the perception to go away? What will it take for people outside of Purdue to think of Purdue as an elite basketball program? To be thought of as an elite team, Purdue needs to become an elite team, and actually make the elite 8 or Final 4. Do we have the talent? yes. Do we have the coaching? yes. What do we need ? basically some luck and a win. I will never believe those UW, Butler or South Carolina teams were better than Purdue. but the ball went in the hoop.

Boilermaker 1973 is an I told you so type of guy. And we all hate that type of guy. but the facts are, what he has been saying is true. We haven't bee n to a final 4 since the days of Joe Barry Carrol. We haven't been to an elite 8 since BIG Dog. and people get tired of hearing about if only Robby Hummel wasn't injured. Other teams have suffered injuries to key players and still found a way to win. I remember the Knicks without Willis Reed. and the finals the Lakers played without Kareem and Magic Johnson played center. Championship teams find a way to win even when their key players are injured. Losers use injuries as excuses as to why they lost.

the cup is half full and half empty. We all see the same thing. it all depends on perception which half we see, and if we're thirsty.
Let me be very clear how many other teams have not even made it to a ncaa tournament let alone a final 4 and these coaches still have there jobs why bcuz they get the 5 star players with the name and status behind there names which it what keeps them from focusing on the fact the schools have not been to a final 4 in years or sweet 16 to that fact and Arizona comes to mind with 5star all American talent every single year and hasn't come close to and elite 8. Kansas 2012 since its reached final 4. Kentucky 2014 I believe Duke 2014 Louisville 2013, to name a few who has not been to a final 4 since and yet always get all the high ranking players and top seeds in the tournament and yet hasn't been there in awhile. Mich state is predicted to be a top 3 team and a final 4 contender bcuz of what they got coming back with 3 all Americans and some 4 star players and a bench to match. Well the problem predicting who gonna do what I'm September bcuz what you have on paper always never end up happening when season begins. We all shall see when season gets going and how it ends. Painter just getting the raw end of the stick bcuz he hasn't gotten there in 12 seasons under his leadership. Fair enough but he has made some major changes in what he has recruited and he seems to be adjusting to his personal and finding what fits and the needs at positions. He now I feel got pieces in place athletes, size, skill players that will be able to compete with any of these schools mentioned above and beat them to. Don't be fooled by rankings ppl it's a number and a number don't play basketball in the court but the player does. Painter has a basketball mind and his understanding of the game is impeccable and now he has players to make some ppl who doubt this team bcuz they don't have all Americans on there roster not be relevant in scouts eyes. I say this this team will be very dangerous by time conference play begin. Also remember they got a 11 game head start than most teams have and the freshman did too

it's all about the perception. And the media only assists in sustaining and enhancing the perception of a program. That is why an M$U and IU are revered even in down years.

Once you win at an elite level consistently, the perception begins to change.

I was a huge fan of the Bucks back in the Larry Costello days, which for a short period also included a younger up-and-coming assistant coach named Hubie Brown. I thought '71 was when they won. Also, '74 was a great series with the dreaded Celtics, including a back-and-forth double OT thriller in Game 6.....CBS did the game, and if you can believe it, Rick Barry on color with Pat Summerall. Barry would play in the '75 Finals the next year.

I've always thought Milwaukee would have taken the series if not for Lucious Allen's injury. The Bucks had no answer for Havlicek, and Boston made the Big O work until exhaustion. Still, they almost pulled it off riding Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. IIRC, the '74 Finals was the last one for the Bucks....they had some good playoff runs in late 70's and early 80's, but always seemed to run into Seattle (when still in the West) or Philadelphia (in the East).

Also, BIG mistake moving from the MECCA. They could never seem to recapture the same home-court magic and crowd factor in the more spacious Bradley Center......i know....$$$$$.

Last edited:
As usual, thanks for your perspective, I bet you could put together a great book for sports fans and/or to help the families of other recruits navigate these hard decisions.

I would hope a final four 4 would do a lot to open some eyes. In your opinion what could get Purdue into those elite ranks? Realistically, the HOF coach sentiment makes me think how nice it could be for us when he retires.
I plan on doing just that writing a book to help those who simply don't what and how to go about this recruiting business. Hopefully my experience will help them alone this journey.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
I only say this about the Center Grove kid because I live in that area and I already know he's not going to Purdue. He will end up at Michigan State most likely with IU being a possibility. This recruitment right here we'll see if Archie Miller can recruit is going to be a head-to-head battle between him and Tom Izzo

You are right Wole. But what 73 and a few others don't see is that how you say something is as important as the message. He could have made all of those points in a manner that does not illicit backlash from this group. It's probably to late now.
I actively try to word things in a way that is clear and not overly aggressive, usually:oops:. Even then I will occasionally write things that are more harsh than I intended. It takes effort that he is not willing to make.

I only say this about the Center Grove kid because I live in that area and I already know he's not going to Purdue. He will end up at Michigan State most likely with IU being a possibility. This recruitment right here we'll see if Archie Miller can recruit is going to be a head-to-head battle between him and Tom Izzo
So if he doesn't go to Mich St or IU, then your info is no good for future reference? I can see saying they are his favorites but never rule out another school

Stars aren't the only thing that matters, but for the most part they are pretty accurate. Painter realizes this as well based off the offers he makes. In 2017 he offered a lot of 5* and high 4* players (JJJ, Malik Williams, Paul Scruggs, Wilkes, Tillman), he just didn't land them. That's where many of us have frustration with CMP's recruiting tactics. We believe he could land more of these players. I for one would be fine with him stretching truths in order to get a recruit as long as it isn't illegal. Obviously others do it and are still highly regarded. I want to win, and high ranked players are what gets you there. Since 1977 (McDonald's All- American game first game) there has only been 2 national champions that didn't have at least one MAA on their team.

Stars aren't the only thing that matters, but for the most part they are pretty accurate. Painter realizes this as well based off the offers he makes. In 2017 he offered a lot of 5* and high 4* players (JJJ, Malik Williams, Paul Scruggs, Wilkes, Tillman), he just didn't land them. That's where many of us have frustration with CMP's recruiting tactics. We believe he could land more of these players. I for one would be fine with him stretching truths in order to get a recruit as long as it isn't illegal. Obviously others do it and are still highly regarded. I want to win, and high ranked players are what gets you there. Since 1977 (McDonald's All- American game first game) there has only been 2 national champions that didn't have at least one MAA on their team.

Well, at least you admit the bolded part above. There are many coaches and fans who agree with you.

I, however, don't. I think complete honesty and transparency matters in basketball, life, and relationships.

Coach Painter seems to agree that it matters in recruiting. If that means we win twenty-seven games rather than thirty-two, I'm absolutely good with that. Frankly, I'd rather we lose every game rather than compromising our integrity.

I plan on doing just that writing a book to help those who simply don't what and how to go about this recruiting business. Hopefully my experience will help them alone this journey.
My daughter plays bball and we are navigating through the recruiting process as well. I will take any advice given!! Lol

Well, at least you admit the bolded part above. There are many coaches and fans who agree with you.

I, however, don't. I think complete honesty and transparency matters in basketball, life, and relationships.

Coach Painter seems to agree that it matters in recruiting. If that means we win twenty-seven games rather than thirty-two, I'm absolutely good with that. Frankly, I'd rather we lose every game rather than compromising our integrity.
I'd rather stretch truths and get to the championship than lose in the round of 32.

You could have said that in the first place. Try "I live in the area and would be really surprised if he considers Purdue. My understanding is that it is between MSU and IU." That's interesting information.
Instead you have to be a d*ck and not only toss out the glib "Painter is wasting his time" as if he has no idea where he stands, but also "he'll never out recruit MSU or IU again". THATS what makes you a douchy troll.
Then you try to backtrack "I only say this about the Center Grove kid because..." Bullsh*t you said across the board he'll never win a recruiting battle with those 2 again. Stand by your words, big man. You want to post like an ass, you will be treated as such.

You r so miss guided. All those names u named let's see how many of them play this season. If you think that's all it takes to win is have all Americans 5 star players on your team why Arizona don't go further than 1st round in the tour every single year. Duke lost 2nd round didn't they. Louisville 2nd round loss in tournament with all American 5 star talent what happen. Scruggs , Jackson ,Tillman William chose a school that fit what they think they will get. Mark my words all the kids you name won't see much time in the floor this season so how will they help their team win. All from Indiana all left the state cuz some just wanna leave there state and go to school out of their state my son did. Didn't go to an in state school bcuz he wanted to feel like he was away at school even tho it's only 2 hour ride. Painter can lie to kids but what good will that do if the kid gets hear and might not fit what's going on and not better than what's there. These coaches lie get theses kids in campus than change everything they told you they wud do and than a year later that kid is transferring. 865 transfers as of right now is a result of lying coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT