ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pandemic response team eliminated in 2018

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-fire-pandemic-team/

Apparently we had a pandemic response team, but it was eliminated in 2018. Heard this a few days ago and thought it could’ve been fake, but it is 100% true according to snopes.

For those of you that don’t know Snopes, it is a non-political fact checking site.
I don't believe a few more executive branch beaurocrats would make any difference in the response to this. It's also interesting that people think somehow the last administration would have been able to ramp up testing for a previously unknown virus any faster. The legendary Dr. Fauci indicated that the previous system for testing, which could have been improved during the SARS, MERS, Swine Flu or other previous outbreaks, never was streamlined and was not designed for this situation. Trump says and tweets stupid shit, no doubt. But he also got an entirely new test assay approved by the FDA in 72 hours and created an alliance with the private sector in a week to handle the testing. Do you really think a traditional government insider as President would have done that as quickly? As someone who worked more than a decade in Pharma, the FDA approval timeline for the test approval was unprecedented. Another note for the people who are hysterical that everyone needs to be tested; in South Korea, of those displaying symptoms that were tested, only 3 to 4% tested positive. That means 96 to 97% had the flu, the common cold or other seasonal viruses. In addition, if I understood the statement correctly, the new test developed here found that samples used to validate the new test showed only a 1 to 2% positive rate. That means that the tests used elsewhere in the world may have had double the false-positive rate as this test. This is a big deal if we test 100 million people ... i.e. 1 to 2 million unnecessary people quarantined. Look, I understand people have political hot-buttons that cause hatred for this guy; the same went for the last guy. I think you have to take what politicians say with a huge lump of salt. As with all people, actions matter more than talk. That's especially important now. Even if you hate his policies, the fact is that Trump has a bias for action and he is not a career politician. That means he takes a business approach to solving problems. Even those who embrace big government need to consider that this may be an advantage for the country in this instance.

But he also got an entirely new test assay approved by the FDA in 72 hours
Okay, but the U.S. could have had a test that actually works in 2 seconds if the chief executive would have said yes to WHO when they offered it.

In your 72 hours, South Korea tested 30,000 people. That’s right, 30,000.

If there is any success in this, it belongs to the people of the United States who have voluntarily shut down their lives without any guidance from the chief executive.

Last edited:
I don't believe a few more executive branch beaurocrats would make any difference in the response to this. It's also interesting that people think somehow the last administration would have been able to ramp up testing for a previously unknown virus any faster. The legendary Dr. Fauci indicated that the previous system for testing, which could have been improved during the SARS, MERS, Swine Flu or other previous outbreaks, never was streamlined and was not designed for this situation. Trump says and tweets stupid shit, no doubt. But he also got an entirely new test assay approved by the FDA in 72 hours and created an alliance with the private sector in a week to handle the testing. Do you really think a traditional government insider as President would have done that as quickly? As someone who worked more than a decade in Pharma, the FDA approval timeline for the test approval was unprecedented. Another note for the people who are hysterical that everyone needs to be tested; in South Korea, of those displaying symptoms that were tested, only 3 to 4% tested positive. That means 96 to 97% had the flu, the common cold or other seasonal viruses. In addition, if I understood the statement correctly, the new test developed here found that samples used to validate the new test showed only a 1 to 2% positive rate. That means that the tests used elsewhere in the world may have had double the false-positive rate as this test. This is a big deal if we test 100 million people ... i.e. 1 to 2 million unnecessary people quarantined. Look, I understand people have political hot-buttons that cause hatred for this guy; the same went for the last guy. I think you have to take what politicians say with a huge lump of salt. As with all people, actions matter more than talk. That's especially important now. Even if you hate his policies, the fact is that Trump has a bias for action and he is not a career politician. That means he takes a business approach to solving problems. Even those who embrace big government need to consider that this may be an advantage for the country in this instance.
Absurd, he called it a hoax two weeks ago.

Snopes, it is a non-political fact checking site.
Need to do some research about Snopes. They are political biased and known to skew how they answer a claim when it comes to politically sensitive topics. I’m not disputing the Pandemic team question, just your comment that Snopes is non-political. I still use it however for most other issues.

Last edited:

If you listened to the rose garden address they acted like everything was good. Like they hit a joke run.. I think that’s very premature.

I do know that anyone for 100 miles of WL can’t even get tested right now. So, we aren’t really sure how many people have it.

I’m sure a team of Dr’s that have one job of preparing for pandemics wouldn’t have done anything to help the cause...... lol.

Certain People bend over backwards to kiss Trumps ass and they will one day look like the biggest fools in US history.

Apparently we had a pandemic response team, but it was eliminated in 2018. Heard this a few days ago and thought it could’ve been fake, but it is 100% true according to snopes.

For those of you that don’t know Snopes, it is a non-political fact checking site.

Why would a pandemic response team need to be on the NSC? That's what the CDC is for. I talked to my congressman and found out that this was part of the administration's elimination of duplicate functions within the Federal Government. Ask yourself this. Who is better equipped to handle a pandemic, the National Security Agency, or the Center for Disease Control?????

Sorry, we've known about the vulnerability of our country to a pandemic for far too long. The lack of preparation and response falls squarely on the administration.

Delayed intelligence report

Sorry, we've known about the vulnerability of our country to a pandemic for far too long. The lack of preparation and response falls squarely on the administration.

Delayed intelligence report

just this administration? How could we have known about the vulnerability for “far too long” but the blame falls “squarely” on the current administration?

or did we only find out about the vulnerability within the last 3 years?

From my original.post. "I think you have to take what politicians say with a huge lump of salt. As with all people, actions matter more than talk." I am not trying to make this political, just to point out my opinion that the elimination of a few executive level people would have had little impact on the response, regardless of who the president was. People can point out multiple dubious claims by every politician, and simply dismiss everything associated with them as "absurd". To me that is the very definition of political partisanship.

I have recently heard this as well and it is apparently true, but Snopes is certainly not apolitical.

Reactions: atlboiler2156
From my original.post. "I think you have to take what politicians say with a huge lump of salt. As with all people, actions matter more than talk." I am not trying to make this political, just to point out my opinion that the elimination of a few executive level people would have had little impact on the response, regardless of who the president was. People can point out multiple dubious claims by every politician, and simply dismiss everything associated with them as "absurd". To me that is the very definition of political partisanship.

I agree. It was eliminating something that could quickly be started again if the need arose. To say disbanding this in any way worsened this issue that has come up is ridiculous.

Why would a pandemic response team need to be on the NSC? That's what the CDC is for. I talked to my congressman and found out that this was part of the administration's elimination of duplicate functions within the Federal Government. Ask yourself this. Who is better equipped to handle a pandemic, the National Security Agency, or the Center for Disease Control?????
You and your logic.

Okay, but the U.S. could have had a test that actually works in 2 seconds if the chief executive would have said yes to WHO when they offered it.

In your 72 hours, South Korea tested 30,000 people. That’s right, 30,000.

If there is any success in this, it belongs to the people of the United States who have voluntarily shut down their lives without any guidance from the chief executive.
Not likely that the WHO had 30,000 test kits that could have been shipped to and distributed to every corner of the country in 72 hours. But let's say they did. It's important to understand that taking a swab from a suspected case and getting it shipped to a lab, the sample analyzed and the results communicated is the entire process. That process, under the existing system, which has existed for a long time, is not capable of processing the 30,000 samples in a timely manner. It was stated that the existing process bottleneck was the RNA extraction, not the collection of samples. If we proceeded as you say, people would be blaming the government for having to wait weeks for a result after being swabbed. Regardless of being able to get swabbed, when a person has symptoms, they should self-quarantine. With higher throughput analysis now, the actual test result, which is what matters, will come faster. As far as the credit, I think whoever is in office would take credit and not blame. But I do think a quick public-private coalition was unlikely in the case of any previous administration.

I have recently heard this as well and it is apparently true, but Snopes is certainly not apolitical.
Yep to both. This is true and it’s easy to find video of trump talking about the decision, but I wouldn’t get in a habit of relying on snopes.

You and your logic.
Zap likes to spread subtle anti-vax and anti-pharma stuff to impress people.

A few posts into his history you see him describe a “study” where some kids who got a flu vaccine still got the flu, but the ones who got a bunch of Vitamin D all avoided the flu.

I asked him for the name or link to the study. Still waiting.

I agree. It was eliminating something that could quickly be started again if the need arose. To say disbanding this in any way worsened this issue that has come up is ridiculous.
The unfortunate part here, and I'm a Trump policy supporter, was his inability to address the question in his presser yesterday. He actually said he wasn't aware be did it and punted to Pence I believe. Had he answered the question the way a few of you have addressed it, it would looked 1000 times better when he was challenged.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
A popular political tactic these days, and both sides do it, is to blame the other party for mishandling a crisis at its start. By doing that, it then becomes viable to blame to entire crisis and all of its consequences on the other party. No matter what, or how well, it is managed during the crisis. Lots of this going on today.

He should have done all this in early February, not March and only after the market tanked and some republicans turned on him, whether it was publicly or privately. He believed his travel ban would prevent it getting here. It minimized and slowed it early, but that meant we had plenty of time for experts...not bureaucrats...to put in place plans for scenarios and to get ready to flip a switch. Turns out even the testing plan he announced Friday can’t be rolled out quickly because they just got started on it. The Chinese shared the viral material to make tests in January! some countries were relatively prepared. Some like US stuck their head in the sand.

He should have done all this in early February, not March and only after the market tanked and some republicans turned on him, whether it was publicly or privately. He believed his travel ban would prevent it getting here. It minimized and slowed it early, but that meant we had plenty of time for experts...not bureaucrats...to put in place plans for scenarios and to get ready to flip a switch. Turns out even the testing plan he announced Friday can’t be rolled out quickly because they just got started on it. The Chinese shared the viral material to make tests in January! some countries were relatively prepared. Some like US stuck their head in the sand.
Are you suggesting China has handled it better than the U.S.?

Snopes cannot be called non-political: it fact-checks political elements.
But it can be deemed- predominantly - non-partisan. And has credibility.

Reactions: Monkey Pox
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT