ADVERTISEMENT

Opening Day Musings

🤔 Could Minnesota end up finishing in the top 5 of the conference 😳🧐? They looked pretty decent against Missouri last night drilling the 3’s from the little I watched. That’d be a big shocker.

Yes they shoot the 3 better this year. But that went away a bit in H2. There biggest problem was they couldn't stop M from getting inside and M got so many points in the paint that gave them the win.

But yes MN is much improved, but still behind PU, Mich, ILL and maybe MSU too assuming MSU gets their game together. MN possible ncaat though.

W is a team usually in top 4 that seems to be floundering too....can't figure out the problem there.

Yes they shoot the 3 better this year. But that went away a bit in H2. There biggest problem was they couldn't stop M from getting inside and M got so many points in the paint that gave them the win.

But yes MN is much improved, but still behind PU, Mich, ILL and maybe MSU too assuming MSU gets their game together. MN possible ncaat though.

W is a team usually in top 4 that seems to be floundering too....can't figure out the problem there.
Yah it’s way early but at this point I would not be surprised to find Michigan, Illinois and even Minnesota in the top 5 of the conference.

Missouri lost by 15 at home to Memphis and beat Minnesota at Minnesota so we're really setting a low bar on what it takes to be a top 5 B1G team.

What happened to the FAB 5, Big Dog, Flying Illini, Flintstones, Magic, Three Amigos, and yes all those great IU teams.

Now we have Purdue, Michigan and a team that almost beat Missouri in the Barn.

Missouri lost by 15 at home to Memphis and beat Minnesota at Minnesota so we're really setting a low bar on what it takes to be a top 5 B1G team.

What happened to the FAB 5, Big Dog, Flying Illini, Flintstones, Magic, Three Amigos, and yes all those great IU teams.

Now we have Purdue, Michigan and a team that almost beat Missouri in the Barn.

Yea looks like Purdue, Mich and ILL are the cream & will be 1,2,3. That assumes Purdue can handle McDaniel which might be questionable?

As to MN- 6th....borderline ncaat. Could be 7th if W recovers....not sure the problem there.

Conference hasn't been good in awhile though. But this year it's looking worse. Not a great start to the B10.

Even Purdue is over ranked to me. They likely are better later once CMP fixes the 4 and Heide & Colvin gain experience. But now 2? Imo..How much will people freak out when Purdue loses soon ....maybe to G?

Reactions: mathboy
Golden Gophers are definitely improved....with multiple guys who can knock down a triple......really let that game get away, though after having a huge lead. Wade was pissed off.......

OGeNAvV.gif

I thought only Purdue gave up big leads? Weird it seems to happen to almost every team ever

Agree with Minnesota looks improved- their problem is the starting point was Rutgers before Pikiell. Still likely the worst team in the conference, just not a 35 point road win bad like last year

Yea looks like Purdue, Mich and ILL are the cream & will be 1,2,3. That assumes Purdue can handle McDaniel which might be questionable?

As to MN- 6th....borderline ncaat. Could be 7th if W recovers....not sure the problem there.

Conference hasn't been good in awhile though. But this year it's looking worse. Not a great start to the B10.

Even Purdue is over ranked to me. They likely are better later once CMP fixes the 4 and Heide & Colvin gain experience. But now 2? Imo..How much will people freak out when Purdue loses soon ....maybe to G?
Can Michigan handle Edey??

Who would you put above Purdue right now?

TBH, I wouldn’t mind some losses, as long as we are competitive and the games are close. It would help take some pressure off…but if we are playing well, I hope that we are somehow able to continue to get better.

Can Michigan handle Edey??

Who would you put above Purdue right now?

TBH, I wouldn’t mind some losses, as long as we are competitive and the games are close. It would help take some pressure off…but if we are playing well, I hope that we are somehow able to continue to get better.

No.

Don't know. Have not seen enough. But have seen #2 teams in other years.

Agreed

whisky struggling against Robert Morris - up 2 at half. Doesn’t appear Essegian isn’t playing much again.

WTF is up with Essegian not playing? Grades of the court issues, injury? Seems odd after his response the other day.🤷🏼‍♂️
Apparently, he was injured bad vs ark state. His defense has been really bad and his shot has been off so he hasn’t been able to produce as well as last year ( heard from a Wisconsin fan)

Beating Purdue will be the B10 ticket to get in the tournament......in this trash bottom bucket of a conference this year.
It's sadly looking that way. Good thing they have a shot at 5 current Kenpom top 10 teams in the non conference if things break right in Maui (Gonzaga, Tenn, Marquette/Kansas, Alabama, Arizona).

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Remember wondering why we didn’t recruit Garwey Dual - yikes. Gonna be sitting out the next game.

Sad on both players.

Still the young Dual can learn from it. He has been good early 5/9 from 3 and 8+ ppg and a couple blocks in 20 min per game. His coach should give him 2-3 games to think about it and grow from it. Hope he learns.

I do think the BIG is looking like a down year, but I haven’t seen enough other teams to make that all. I also think Purdue is overrated right now at #2. I think we are a top 5 team, but not the second rated team.

:cool:

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I do think the BIG is looking like a down year, but I haven’t seen enough other teams to make that all. I also think Purdue is overrated right now at #2. I think we are a top 5 team, but not the second rated team.

:cool:
So who ya got in the top 5?!

It's PU and everybody else in the B1G. I thought MSU would be better than they are. Still time for whizzo to get it together, but they are just not good right now. Michigan has probably looked the next best so far. Dug McD is a really nice PG. Illinois hung with a very good Marquette, but if our conference is going to be taken seriously, that needed to be W at home. The rest of the conference so far, ouch! Still very early, but nothing I have seen has changed my mind that this conference is weak.
It would be nice if we didn’t have to play our starters big minutes during the B1G season this year.

You can’t tell me we weren’t worn down going into the NCAA last year, especially after the B1G tournament run. We look so much quicker now than we did in February and March.

Reactions: Dryfly88
It would be nice if we didn’t have to play our starters big minutes during the B1G season this year.

You can’t tell me we weren’t worn down going into the NCAA last year, especially after the B1G tournament run. We look so much quicker now than we did in February and March.
We were absolutely worn down. Braden playing 30+ and fletch playing all those mins made them fatigued and it showed from end of January on. I hope we don’t have to play guys 30+ mins either. Not to bring it up but IU has had to play 4 of their starters 30+ mins in their first 3 games and they are going to be worn down come mid Feb if that’s what they continue to do. We def saw that with TJD in mid Jan when he played 35+ for ROS and never really practiced due to an injury and also having to play so much.

Long winded answer just to agree with you haha.

• Haha
Reactions: New Pal Boiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT