ADVERTISEMENT

Opening Day Musings

ChoiceBeef

All-American
Feb 19, 2017
1. Is Izzo done or finished? Pretty tough loss against JMU. Out rebounded and out hustled. Didn’t get their high ranking since they brought the same team as last year plus Carr and Fears and suddenly they are elite?

2. Louisville - buzzer beater to win. They are just an awful program.

3. UNC - had all sorts of problems against Redford. Davis has his work cut out for him.

4. Rutgers - losing to Princeton. They miss Cam Spencer and Mulcahy a lot. Watch them be a middling team who gives us our first L as they squeak into the tourney.

5. Northwestern - wasn’t until the second half before they took control to win.

6. Illinois - struggled in the first half but pulled away. Sincere Harris, who played a ton last year, opted for a red shirt year.

Will try to watch FGCU tonight but IT is game time decision.

1. Is Izzo done or finished? Pretty tough loss against JMU. Out rebounded and out hustled. Didn’t get their high ranking since they brought the same team as last year plus Carr and Fears and suddenly they are elite?

2. Louisville - buzzer beater to win. They are just an awful program.

3. UNC - had all sorts of problems against Redford. Davis has his work cut out for him.

4. Rutgers - losing to Princeton. They miss Cam Spencer and Mulcahy a lot. Watch them be a middling team who gives us our first L as they squeak into the tourney.

5. Northwestern - wasn’t until the second half before they took control to win.

6. Illinois - struggled in the first half but pulled away. Sincere Harris, who played a ton last year, opted for a red shirt year.

Will try to watch FGCU tonight but IT is game time decision.

DGL played well for Illinois after nothing vs. KS. But last night looked like a player.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I think MSU will still be really good. Carr and Fears are solid. What they need to do is bench Hall.

Weird about Harris from Illinois, but maybe there's a roster crunch with DGL, who looked like he had a solid first game.

Rutgers stinks.

Robert Redford played Carolina tight?

I believe IT is not playing tonight. Line seems small at 11.5.

I think MSU will still be really good. Carr and Fears are solid. What they need to do is bench Hall.

Weird about Harris from Illinois, but maybe there's a roster crunch with DGL, who looked like he had a solid first game.

Rutgers stinks.

Robert Redford played Carolina tight?

I believe IT is not playing tonight. Line seems small at 11.5.
I know Carr and Fears are solid but good enough to start and lead the team? Guess we will wait and see. If I’m Izzo, Hall and Hoggard see about 0 minutes for a few weeks. Both looked like they would rather be selling insurance than playing last night.

I haven’t read much on DGL and Illinois but assuming Harris knows there won’t be minutes and wants to develop.

Got a few more.

DePaul starts 0-2 with loses to Purdue Ft Wayne and Long Beach. They should disband their program at this point.

Georgetown - spent a lot of money on Ed Cooley only to lose to Holy Cross last night. Yikes.

Norte Dame - the Shrews era off to a bumpy start with a loss to Western Carolina. Figured it will be an up and down year.

I know Carr and Fears are solid but good enough to start and lead the team? Guess we will wait and see. If I’m Izzo, Hall and Hoggard see about 0 minutes for a few weeks. Both looked like they would rather be selling insurance than playing last night.

I haven’t read much on DGL and Illinois but assuming Harris knows there won’t be minutes and wants to develop.
I think Illinois might be able to hold it together better this year. DGL evidently looked really good their second game.
MSU I expect the same type year they had last year. Good players that can’t seem to put it together as a group, unlike typical Izzo teams.
I’m surprised by Marylands poor start.
Our record against Xavier is not good but hopefully we come out firing on all cylinders and control the game tomorrow! 🖤💛🏀

Maryland lost to Davidson and UAB. Yikes. Time to fire Turgeon

Even though he is long gone, he must be "smiling" at the attention......

usp-ncaa-basketball_-north-carolina-state-at-maryl-1024x614.jpg

Add another one - IU was in a struggle fest last night against Army who Kenpom has in the 300s. They look lost and are not passing the body language test.

That was rough to watch. IU on offense has no movement and no plan and on defense leaves so many shooters open.

Both Army and FGCU shot a ton of 3s but they were open looks so why wouldn't they shoot them?

Their 5* Taco Bell hero should be a bench player at this point. Not good defensively and doesn't do anything offensively that has an impact.

Their next game is Wright St then they get to play UCONN - am definitely watching that one lol

That was rough to watch. IU on offense has no movement and no plan and on defense leaves so many shooters open.

Both Army and FGCU shot a ton of 3s but they were open looks so why wouldn't they shoot them?

Their 5* Taco Bell hero should be a bench player at this point. Not good defensively and doesn't do anything offensively that has an impact.

Their next game is Wright St then they get to play UCONN - am definitely watching that one lol
Thanks for the clarification on their schedule. Woody needs to go with 3 guard lineup and not 3 guys at the 4/5. Xavier is probably questioning coming back at this point.

Thanks for the clarification on their schedule. Woody needs to go with 3 guard lineup and not 3 guys at the 4/5. Xavier is probably questioning coming back at this point.

Problem is IU only has 3 guard worth playing on the roster and 1 of them is a freshman who looks promising but isn't all that good at the moment.

Definitely wishing him the best. Always liked him, but he was going to get squeezed with all the talent we have.
Wish he had panned out. Just seemed like painter never let him just play and whenever a mistake was made, he was benched…at least early in his career.

Reactions: RDUBoiler
Add another one - IU was in a struggle fest last night against Army who Kenpom has in the 300s. They look lost and are not passing the body language test.
I said the same during the first half. Players on the bench looked like the Taco Bell drive-thru would be more exciting. They weren't even watching the game.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Big slate of games tonight - can MSU wake up and learn to shoot? If not, gonna be a beat down from Duke.

Illinois has been sleep walking so far - Marquette could break them.

Kentucky v Kansas should be a good one.

I was surprised that MSU is only a 4 point dog tonight.
Illinois is -2

One of the biggest spreads you will see all year: UConn is -46 against Miss Valley State

I was surprised that MSU is only a 4 point dog tonight.
Illinois is -2

One of the biggest spreads you will see all year: UConn is -46 against Miss Valley State
Maybe one reason on the line is the game is at United Center so closer to home for MSU? Not a gambler so no idea how they set lines etc.

It's PU and everybody else in the B1G. I thought MSU would be better than they are. Still time for whizzo to get it together, but they are just not good right now. Michigan has probably looked the next best so far. Dug McD is a really nice PG. Illinois hung with a very good Marquette, but if our conference is going to be taken seriously, that needed to be W at home. The rest of the conference so far, ouch! Still very early, but nothing I have seen has changed my mind that this conference is weak.

🤔 Could Minnesota end up finishing in the top 5 of the conference 😳🧐? They looked pretty decent against Missouri last night drilling the 3’s from the little I watched. That’d be a big shocker.

🤔 Could Minnesota end up finishing in the top 5 of the conference 😳🧐? They looked pretty decent against Missouri last night drilling the 3’s from the little I watched. That’d be a big shocker.

Golden Gophers are definitely improved....with multiple guys who can knock down a triple......really let that game get away, though after having a huge lead. Wade was pissed off.......

OGeNAvV.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT