ADVERTISEMENT

Open the schools or else.

You are misinformed. Sweden didn't go on total lockdown like we did for 6 weeks, but they absolutely implemented social distancing, canceled school, and visits to nursing homes was banned.

https://www.orfonline.org/research/swedens-soft-covid19-strategy-an-appraisal-69291/
Scroll down to the section entitled "The Swedish Strategy"
I never said they didn't try to social distance, etc. I said they didn't lock down and their nursing homes were unfortunately hit despite their attempts to keep them safe, which is a major reason why their death rate is as high as it is.

I wasn't sure if you were talking about deaths per number of cases or population so I pulled these up.

USA has 410 deaths per 1m population
Brazil has 326 deaths per 1m
Mexico has 260 deaths per 1m
Germany has 109 deaths per 1m
Canada has 232 deaths per 1m

Sweden has 545 deaths per 1m

Belgium has 844 deaths per 1m
France has 459 deaths per 1m
Italy has 578 deaths per 1m
Spain has 607
UK has 657

Many of the countries with extremely low numbers, you have to wonder about their reporting honesty or if their methodology differs from other countries(not referring to any of the above countries). Like China. Then there's Germany. Will be interesting to see how things go moving forward.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/a...ys-coronavirus-infections-rise-342-to-182-370

Will be interesting how these numbers play out the rest of the year since in Sweden the virus has for the most part run its course. Those other countries only slowed it down for now. If they show in the end that they can completely stop the spread of the virus, then good on them. Otherwise I think we could see similar numbers with most countries in the end.
Again, Sweden is 7th. You've listed the 4 major countries in the world that are worse, but the point is still the same. There are TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN countries that currently show coronavirus infections. Sweden is the 7th worst. You can question the reporting techniques for a few, but are you going to doubt the other two hundred?

Second, "since in Sweden the virus has for the most part run it's course". WHAT? Reported cases in Sweden ~74,000. Population of Sweden ~10,000,000. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that a virus that has infected less than 1% of the population has not "Run it's course". Even if you want to try to say that the unreported cases are 10x higher (a dubious claim already), that is nowhere near a level to the point where mass population immunity is going to be starting.

Go back and read pages 4 and 5 of the "Our nations Covid Response" thread where we compare Sweden to Arizona. Sweden is serious not the case study you want to base your defense on.

Reactions: BleedinGold
Yes, Sweden's numbers are higher than they should be because the virus was able to get into many of their nursing homes. However, considering that they didn't social distance at all, they are doing pretty good.

I never said they didn't try to social distance, etc. I said they didn't lock down and their nursing homes were unfortunately hit despite their attempts to keep them safe, which is a major reason why their death rate is as high as it is.
You should run for President. You are apparently qualified based upon current standards.

Reactions: Bill4411
Second, "since in Sweden the virus has for the most part run it's course". WHAT? Reported cases in Sweden ~74,000. Population of Sweden ~10,000,000. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that a virus that has infected less than 1% of the population has not "Run it's course". Even if you want to try to say that the unreported cases are 10x higher (a dubious claim already), that is nowhere near a level to the point where mass population immunity is going to be starting.
You can't base things off of reported cases because they are unable to test everyone. I'd be willing to be their total number of cases are at a minimum 10x higher than their reported. There are tons of people that get sick and never go to the Dr or hospital.

Most peoples symptoms are very mild. Everyone I have known to get the virus either had such mild symptoms that they didn't think twice about it, until they decided to get tested when those symptoms persisted longer than a week. OR, they thought they had a bad case of the flu and rode it out at home.

FFS Bob, the states and local school districts decide how they will deal with this. The federal government gives general guidelines. Your assertion that “one size fits all” is ridiculous on its face.

But keep spewing your daily TDS, Bob......
Then Trump should stfu. He can't give orders about schools reopening anymore than he could order states to reopen.

Just like everything else with this pandemic and the president. Do what I say or I'll cut your money off but it's the governor's job and I have no responsibility.

Do the schools follow the guidelines from the CDC or the WH? I thought one worked for the other?

Then Trump should stfu. He can't give orders about schools reopening anymore than he could order states to reopen.

Just like everything else with this pandemic and the president. Do what I say or I'll cut your money off but it's the governor's job and I have no responsibility.

Do the schools follow the guidelines from the CDC or the WH? I thought one worked for the other?
I don't disagree with much of what you said here. HOWEVER, many of you are using that same double standard to hate on the president. Saying his covid response was a disaster when in reality, he did what he could. Much of the response was up to the states, not the president.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
Did you read what I replied to you with? Spain has actually done a very broad based study (60,000) people. Herd immunity is not a thing. Which is why no one is actually talking about it as a sound strategy other than talking heads.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53315983
I was looking at the numbers and I don't see how they can come to any conclusive data for Spain. They had a pretty stringent lockdown and most of their population hasn't been exposed yet.

Also, that same article had this to say:

"Herd immunity can be reached either by widespread vaccination or if enough of the population is exposed to an infection and recovers. If enough people are immune to a disease, it is unlikely to keep spreading from person to person."

So basically, they are saying it's still possible to have herd immunity. Where I could see this being a problem is if the body gets rid of the antibody's relatively quickly like it does with the cold. Having a slow drawn out infection rate will make having any kind of herd immunity impossible if this is the case.

I don't disagree with much of what you said here. HOWEVER, many of you are using that same double standard to hate on the president. Saying his covid response was a disaster when in reality, he did what he could. Much of the response was up to the states, not the president.
In reality, this pandemic is exactly the kind of national disaster the federal government should be in charge of.

TRUMP said it was up to the states.....he decided that.......and then blames them claims no responsibility for himself. That was his plan all along.

Most Americans disagree. The latest poll says 67% disapprove of his handling of Covid.

I'm sure "He did what he could" will look good in the history books.

In reality, this pandemic is exactly the kind of national disaster the federal government should be in charge of.

TRUMP said it was up to the states.....he decided that.......and then blames them claims no responsibility for himself. That was his plan all along.

Most Americans disagree. The latest poll says 67% disapprove of his handling of Covid.

I would ask who the hell represents the 33% that think he’s doing a good job but there’s a good sample size of them on these message boards.

No, he didn't decide that. That's how our country works (as far as I understand it). Biden even admitted that there were things that he couldn't do if he was president.

Most people disapprove because they are not informed. The media does a good job with that.

I was looking at the numbers and I don't see how they can come to any conclusive data for Spain. They had a pretty stringent lockdown and most of their population hasn't been exposed yet.

Also, that same article had this to say:

"Herd immunity can be reached either by widespread vaccination or if enough of the population is exposed to an infection and recovers. If enough people are immune to a disease, it is unlikely to keep spreading from person to person."

So basically, they are saying it's still possible to have herd immunity. Where I could see this being a problem is if the body gets rid of the antibody's relatively quickly like it does with the cold. Having a slow drawn out infection rate will make having any kind of herd immunity impossible if this is the case.

I think you are reading it how you want to read it.

What you are quoting is simply defining the concept of herd immunity.

The reason it's not considered to be an option with COVID is that YES such a small percentage of Spain's population was exposed and yet it still had such a significant death toll. So if 70-80% of the population then was exposed, it would be a massive loss of life.

I think you are reading it how you want to read it.

What you are quoting is simply defining the concept of herd immunity.

The reason it's not considered to be an option with COVID is that YES such a small percentage of Spain's population was exposed and yet it still had such a significant death toll. So if 70-80% of the population then was exposed, it would be a massive loss of life.
Significant death toll? Only if you go off of confirmed cases. As cases continue to be found, the death rate is going down.

No, he didn't decide that. That's how our country works (as far as I understand it). Biden even admitted that there were things that he couldn't do if he was president.

Most people disapprove because they are not informed. The media does a good job with that.

Perhaps you should look in the mirror because you've been wrong on so many fronts with this just based on simple statistics.

Just because the general consensus is something that doesn't fit your agenda doesn't mean it's wrong. The nation's response hasn't been good -- just look at Texas which opened too early, actually pro-actively made sure cities wouldn't put mask mandates in place......and fast forward a few months the same governor who wouldn't allow cities to do mask mandates is now mandating it across the state.

We should be doing what health experts, including ones that work as part of the task force, are telling us to do. We haven't been.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan

Lol. He did decide that. He could just as easily have decided the national government was gonna take care of a NATIONAL problem.

Show me something that says it can't or doesn't work like that.

No need to throw out some BS general statement about what Biden said he would do. He's NOT THE PRESIDENT.

The federal government has no problem going in and coordinating responses to hurricanes in individual states.......as they should.

The virus invaded OUR COUNTRY, not just NY or California. Would trump leave it to Texas to defend itself if it was invaded by Mexico?

That's a dumbed down example but that's what it seems to take with some of you people.

The virus invaded OUR COUNTRY, not just NY or California. Would trump leave it to Texas to defend itself if it was invaded by Mexico?...
We don't need to guess...we can look at the Great and Beautiful Wall (or the few feet actually built) to protect the country against the invasion. Too bad that he didn't leave it to Texas, California, Arizona and New Mexico...

You can't base things off of reported cases because they are unable to test everyone. I'd be willing to be their total number of cases are at a minimum 10x higher than their reported. There are tons of people that get sick and never go to the Dr or hospital.

Most peoples symptoms are very mild. Everyone I have known to get the virus either had such mild symptoms that they didn't think twice about it, until they decided to get tested when those symptoms persisted longer than a week. OR, they thought they had a bad case of the flu and rode it out at home.
Ummmmm…..no.

A) Even if the reported cases are 10x more than what is reported (which again, is a GUESS based upon no actual knowledge), that still puts the total percentage of infected Sweds at a whopping 7.4%. Nowhere near the minimum 50 to 70% that would be required.

B) Need Further proof: How about this. Sweden has performed 600,000 tests and 74,000 have been positive. That puts the positivity level at about 12%. Most of those tests are for people who had a reason to be tested. But that's still 88% negative. So even if you were to assume that the 12% applied to the ENTIRE FREAKING COUNTRY......that still means that only 12% of the population has been infected. Again, nowhere near 50 to 70%.

I have met two people who have had it. They have described it as the worst week of their lives. One just recently got her sense of taste back last week when she was diagnosed two months ago.

Reactions: BuilderBob6
Ummmmm…..no.

A) Even if the reported cases are 10x more than what is reported (which again, is a GUESS based upon no actual knowledge), that still puts the total percentage of infected Sweds at a whopping 7.4%. Nowhere near the minimum 50 to 70% that would be required.

B) Need Further proof: How about this. Sweden has performed 600,000 tests and 74,000 have been positive. That puts the positivity level at about 12%. Most of those tests are for people who had a reason to be tested. But that's still 88% negative. So even if you were to assume that the 12% applied to the ENTIRE FREAKING COUNTRY......that still means that only 12% of the population has been infected. Again, nowhere near 50 to 70%.

I have met two people who have had it. They have described it as the worst week of their lives. One just recently got her sense of taste back last week when she was diagnosed two months ago.
I've known several people to have had it as well. One person said it was rough. All the others said they had no clue they had it until they decided to get tested. I know a lot more that as of now, believe that they had it, but have never been tested.

We don't need to guess...we can look at the Great and Beautiful Wall (or the few feet actually built) to protect the country against the invasion. Too bad that he didn't leave it to Texas, California, Arizona and New Mexico...
Over 220 miles is a few feet?

I've known several people to have had it as well. One person said it was rough. All the others said they had no clue they had it until they decided to get tested. I know a lot more that as of now, believe that they had it, but have never been tested.

I thought your whole family had it?

Over 220 miles is a few feet?
Whatev...
"The only problem is that the figure is a bit misleading. A report from Customs and Border Protection sent to reporters on Tuesday shows that 194 miles of wall have indeed been built — including primary walls and secondary walls that act as reinforcement systems. More to the point of Trump’s promise, only 16 miles of the 194 miles that have been constructed were built in places where fencing didn’t already exist. Of the 170 miles of primary wall that have been built, three miles are in places where no barrier existed before."

Whatev...
"The only problem is that the figure is a bit misleading. A report from Customs and Border Protection sent to reporters on Tuesday shows that 194 miles of wall have indeed been built — including primary walls and secondary walls that act as reinforcement systems. More to the point of Trump’s promise, only 16 miles of the 194 miles that have been constructed were built in places where fencing didn’t already exist. Of the 170 miles of primary wall that have been built, three miles are in places where no barrier existed before."
Whatevs is right. As of late June, it was 216 miles. More has been done since. The old dilapidated fence was largely replaced with a 30 ft bollard-style wall - that is, a real wall. I highly doubt Trump will have 450 miles done by the end of the year, but previously General Perna, who is from the Army Corps of Engineers. said they plan to have 350-400 miles done. "An additional 339 miles is under construction...." (I am not saying it will all be done by the end of the year. Even Trump isn't saying that..)

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/border-wall-progress-whats-been-built-so-far

Last edited:
Reactions: Boilermaker03
Nice deflection attempt.

It’s a legit question given that it was essentially the main premise of his campaign.

But speaking of deflection..,,,tens of thousands of new virus cases a day and threats of school funding being cut and you wanna keep yammering on about this stupid fukking wall like it’s some kind of bragging point. Gtfo of here, SD.

It’s a legit question given that it was essentially the main premise of his campaign.

But speaking of deflection..,,,tens of thousands of new virus cases a day and threats of school funding being cut and you wanna keep yammering on about this stupid fukking wall like it’s some kind of bragging point. Gtfo of here, SD.
People like you say that he hasn’t done anything - hasn’t kept any of his campaign promises - yet here is a good example of a promise he made and has kept and you want to deflect back to Covid-19. This isn’t a bragging point, you moron. You GTFOH.

By the way, many of these places showing new cases were relatively spared the bouts the East Coast, Michigan, and New Orleans had earlier. When you’re starting from a relatively low basis of cases, it should be no surprise some new hot spots might flare up. These states still have relatively low death rates vs. NY, NJ, CT, MA, LA, MI, etc. That is a fact.

People like you say that he hasn’t done anything - hasn’t kept any of his campaign promises - yet here is a good example of a promise he made and has kept and you want to deflect back to Covid-19. This isn’t a bragging point, you moron. You GTFOH.

By the way, many of these places showing new cases were relatively spared the bouts the East Coast, Michigan, and New Orleans had earlier. When you’re starting from a relatively low basis of cases, it should be no surprise some new hot spots might flare up. These states still have relatively low death rates vs. NY, NJ, CT, MA, LA, MI, etc. That is a fact.

He said Mexico would pay for It and it hasn’t been built. How is that fulfilling a promise?

Anyway, i know he could murder your entire family and you’d still defend him in court, so it’s pointless to talk to you. It’s just sad to see you and other folks like you continue to defend what will end up being one of the worst mistakes this country has ever made.

He said Mexico would pay for It and it hasn’t been built. How is that fulfilling a promise?

Anyway, i know he could murder your entire family and you’d still defend him in court, so it’s pointless to talk to you. It’s just sad to see you and other folks like you continue to defend what will end up being one of the worst mistakes this country has ever made.
This is bullshite. Trump would not murder my entire family, but if he somehow did I would make damn sure he was held to account. Regardless, it’s an utterly ridiculous thing to say, but coming from you I should not be surprised.

This is bullshite. Trump would not murder my entire family, but if he somehow did I would make damn sure he was held to account. Regardless, it’s an utterly ridiculous thing to say, but coming from you I should not be surprised.

Is it though? You excuse him for everything else. It’s not a stretch with minions like you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT