ADVERTISEMENT

Open the schools or else.

BuilderBob6

All-American
Jan 27, 2007
North Carolina

Uh......because the Covid problem here and in those countries is exactly the same. Does this stupid shit fly with you trumpers here too?

And now the WH will issue their own guidelines for opening schools........different from those from the CDC. In what world does that make sense? Who are parents supposed to listen to? How long can this clusterF continue?

Uh......because the Covid problem here and in those countries is exactly the same. Does this stupid shit fly with you trumpers here too?

And now the WH will issue their own guidelines for opening schools........different from those from the CDC. In what world does that make sense? Who are parents supposed to listen to? How long can this clusterF continue?
Hopefully November will end this shit show but doubt it will be that easy.

You think he’s sending Barron off to school like he wants the rest of the country to do with their kids? Lollllll

Opening schools will cause a spike, probably a significant one. Teachers and kids with health issues will have problems.

Schools need to have models 3/4 different type from least to most restrictive. Lots of teachers will quit, have a leave of absence, or ask for accommodations to protect health. Could be nasty.

Our school system (Ohio) has been sending out surveys the past few weeks asking for opinions as to what they want to do. They are currently offering up about 4 options: 1) Half-days for all students at school and then half on-line (alternating for half the student body) 2) Full On-line 3) Grades 0-6 on M/W/F and Grades 7-12 on T/TH, with classes spread out over all schools (ie. you might get some high-schoolers sitting in middle school classrooms, etc) and the other days on-line. 4) Weekly alternating basis (1/2 of kids go to school for a week, then go on-line for a week).
Currently, no "Everybody comes back full time" option has been offered.

While we personally prefer option 4, I have the luxury that my kids are both old enough (7th grade +) that I feel comfortable leaving them home alone all day and trusting them to complete their schoolwork. That solution is not going to work out as well for someone with younger kids. You are absolutely not going to please everybody on this decision. At this point, I think they are hoping to just get a 40% majority on one of those options so as to limit the complaining to the lowest level possible.

The same day, Dr. Birx is saying they don't have enough information on transmission for under 20 year olds AND that a significant number of states should be rolling back to Phase 1 behavior, including no gatherings indoors.

Are you guys nuts? The flu is more deadly for 5 to 18 year olds and we don’t bat an eye to send them to school during flu season. Also, do any of you have high school aged kids? The last few months of this school year online was a complete joke and I’m afraid my son has fallen behind in rigorous class work (calculus and physics) and this will be something he’ll have to overcome on his own or else be behind when he hits college.

By all means find ways to protect the teachers, especially those in high risk categories but for gods sake we have to have kids actually learn something by going back to school this fall. Kids who don’t have supportive learning environments in their home are going to fall so far behind they’ll never catch up if we do online teaching.

Are you guys nuts? The flu is more deadly for 5 to 18 year olds and we don’t bat an eye to send them to school during flu season. Also, do any of you have high school aged kids? The last few months of this school year online was a complete joke and I’m afraid my son has fallen behind in rigorous class work (calculus and physics) and this will be something he’ll have to overcome on his own or else be behind when he hits college.

By all means find ways to protect the teachers, especially those in high risk categories but for gods sake we have to have kids actually learn something by going back to school this fall. Kids who don’t have supportive learning environments in their home are going to fall so far behind they’ll never catch up if we do online teaching.

Why does Trump weigh in on all this and throw gas on the fire here? Everyone wants to reopen. Everyone. If/when it’s safe. For everyone.

What happens when a teacher comes down with Covid? Can they take off for 3 weeks?
There is a lot is stress here. Parents are very intense about their children’s safety.

This won’t be fun....

I have a 17 year old who's going to be a senior. I want him to go full time, want him to be able to play baseball in the spring.

The school district has been taking surveys and in every one we have said the kids should go full time. Last spring's online classes were a joke, although I believe they would better this time.

What I want........and my reason for the thread.......is for our freakin elected officials to get their act together and make it as safe as possible for my and your kids. It's been 6 months and they still don't know what the hell they're doing. 6 months and we're getting different recommendations from this admin and their own CDC. Think about that.

I mean, why should I listen to EITHER of them? The CDC has screwed this up from the beginning and the Trump admin has CLEARLY shown it's more interested in getting Trump re-elected than solving the crisis and keeping people alive. Madness.

open or refund my money. im ok either way, but I'm not paying full price so lazy ass fairfax can sit on their thumbs at full salary.

Reactions: Purdue97

Why don't we put the energy into helping fix the problem?

Dr. Birx said today that in many states people shouldn't even be gathering with people indoors. How can you talk about opening schools when a leader of the US government's task force is saying people shouldn't be around others they don't live with!?

Let's focus on curtailing the issue...other places that were hard hit seem to have....

Getting really tired of seeing Trump apologists on TV telling us our kids should go to school while they broadcast from HOME or separate locations because of Covid.

As for his statement........if you're a parent on this board and are willing to RISK the health or life of YOUR child because Trump wants you to, please raise your hand.

I'll teach my kids about overcoming obstacles and taking risks without endangering them thank you very much.

And before I hear from one of the indoctrinated about death rates among children, may I remind you.......or educate you......that a child can also develop life-long health problems from Covid........it isn't just about dying. We still don't know enough about the virus to know much of anything for certain. The strain could be mutating right now for all we know.

Why does Trump weigh in on all this and throw gas on the fire here? Everyone wants to reopen. Everyone. If/when it’s safe. For everyone.

What happens when a teacher comes down with Covid? Can they take off for 3 weeks?
There is a lot is stress here. Parents are very intense about their children’s safety.

This won’t be fun....
As parents should be intense about their kids safety. From what I have heard what was said is correct. The Flu has been more deadly to children. The average age of death to covid is around 80 years old. Protect the most vulnerable, but if we keep putting things off, getting to herd immunity will never happen.

that a child can also develop life-long health problems from Covid........it isn't just about dying. We still don't know enough about the virus to know much of anything for certain. The strain could be mutating right now for all we know.

You're making a fairly strong statement here while also saying we don't know enough about the virus. I didn't realize we've been with Covid long enough to know that kids can develop life long health problems from it.

The only indoctrinated people I see are the morons on the news pulling down statues and pushing Marxist viewpoints. The rest of us aren't so much indoctrinated as we are being polarized against one another.

Getting really tired of seeing Trump apologists on TV telling us our kids should go to school while they broadcast from HOME or separate locations because of Covid.

As for his statement........if you're a parent on this board and are willing to RISK the health or life of YOUR child because Trump wants you to, please raise your hand.

I'll teach my kids about overcoming obstacles and taking risks without endangering them thank you very much.

And before I hear from one of the indoctrinated about death rates among children, may I remind you.......or educate you......that a child can also develop life-long health problems from Covid........it isn't just about dying. We still don't know enough about the virus to know much of anything for certain. The strain could be mutating right now for all we know.

I agree with your points 100% !

There is NO easy answer for kids going back. In the areas of the country where COVID is out of control, it will be extremely difficult. Many kids will NOT wear masks because their dads will tell that "They don't have to ! " Then you have to address the distancing issues - not only in class, but the hall ways and in the cafeteria. Then you have to address the cleanliness issues and the air quality.

You originally asked for a discussion on what could be done to enable more normal school conditions.

1.) I agree with the 1 week at school / 1 week away rotation for social distancing. More specifically, group kids willing to wear masks with like minded kids and those which won't in the 2nd week. That would also help with distancing on buses.
2.) The schools should add plexiglass around each desk, as they do in South Korea, with one for the teacher as well. (To minimize direct transmission.)
3.) The classrooms need better air filtration. The easiest way could be by adding good HEPA filter units in a variety of spots in each room.
4.) I would rotate teachers between the classrooms, versus rotating the kids to different rooms. (If that is possible, since it would mean less people in the hallways after each period)

Just these 4 points shows how messy this will be and . . .if we don't take it seriously, it won't take many kids in the hospitals to shut it all down again.

PS The wild card will be the little kids ! How do you safely manage pre-schoolers or 1st graders??

Reactions: Bill4411
As parents should be intense about their kids safety. From what I have heard what was said is correct. The Flu has been more deadly to children. The average age of death to covid is around 80 years old. Protect the most vulnerable, but if we keep putting things off, getting to herd immunity will never happen.

There is no stated goal anywhere of getting to herd immunity. Even Trump hasn't been dumb enough to state that (at least that I'm aware of). That's not considered a sound strategy: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53315983

The challenge with schools is two-fold: The staff that aren't under 25 that work in schools, and transmission between children then going home to adults.

It's not that going back to school can't be done -- it's pretty simple. If a state gets under control, then school is relatively ok. Most of New England schools are planning to be back - but as of right now those states are largely rather under control.

So if the US focuses on getting things under control, then there's not a big question on school....it's simple.

There is no stated goal anywhere of getting to herd immunity. Even Trump hasn't been dumb enough to state that (at least that I'm aware of). That's not considered a sound strategy: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53315983

The challenge with schools is two-fold: The staff that aren't under 25 that work in schools, and transmission between children then going home to adults.

It's not that going back to school can't be done -- it's pretty simple. If a state gets under control, then school is relatively ok. Most of New England schools are planning to be back - but as of right now those states are largely rather under control.

So if the US focuses on getting things under control, then there's not a big question on school....it's simple.

For some reason, this point is completely lost on lots of people right now. If we did a few more weeks in May/June, we would be in a much better position for sports, school, etc.

For some reason, this point is completely lost on lots of people right now. If we did a few more weeks in May/June, we would be in a much better position for sports, school, etc.

I don't even think it's more weeks were needed -- just more precautions should have been taken when they did and should still be taken. When Texas and Arizona re-opened, many municipalities wanted to have mask rules, but were barred from doing so by the governors. Utterly stupid.

There is zero proof that heard immunity is a thing with COVID. Sweden tried it and now look at them; terrible decision.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan

This is the first time we've (pretty much any country) treated any disease in this way. H1N1 was more deadly but not as transmissible. I'd still point to Sweden (though people will incorrectly say they are bad considering the virus hasn't run it's course yet in countries that shut down). Sweden has had a quite low death rate per 100,000. Even though they had an outbreak in their nursing homes.

This is the first time we've (pretty much any country) treated any disease in this way. H1N1 was more deadly but not as transmissible. I'd still point to Sweden (though people will incorrectly say they are bad considering the virus hasn't run it's course yet in countries that shut down). Sweden has had a quite low death rate per 100,000. Even though they had an outbreak in their nursing homes.
????
From a recent release by the University of Virginia Healthcare System -
Sweden’s per capita death rate was 35 per 100,000 as of May 15. Meanwhile, Denmark’s death rate was 9.3 per 100,000, Finland’s 5.2 and Norway’s 4.7. All three neighboring countries enacted stricter policies. For comparison, the United States had 24 COVID-19 deaths per 100,000 as of May 15. But Sweden has fared better than hard-hit countries such as the United Kingdom and Spain

Again with you people and the flipping flu. What school did you go to, or send your kids/grandkids to that didn't separate and send a kid home if he/she showed obvious symptoms of being sick? At least be honest, there is not one school in America in the past 90 years that has said, "we're not worried about the flu, we're working towards herd immunity."

HUH????????
SWEDEN is 7th IN THE WORLD IN DEATHS PER 100,000.
8 of the top 10 countries in the world with the highest case counts have a lower death rate per 100,000 than Sweden (the exceptions being Spain and the UK, which are 5th and 4th on deaths per 100k).
USA, Russia, India, Brazil, Mexico, Germany. Canada....all of them have lower rates.

Again with you people and the flipping flu. What school did you go to, or send your kids/grandkids to that didn't separate and send a kid home if he/she showed obvious symptoms of being sick? At least be honest, there is not one school in America in the past 90 years that has said, "we're not worried about the flu, we're working towards herd immunity."

As I have said before, I know zero people in 50 years that have died from the flu. I know 5 directly or indirectly that have died from this.

????
From a recent release by the University of Virginia Healthcare System -
Sweden’s per capita death rate was 35 per 100,000 as of May 15. Meanwhile, Denmark’s death rate was 9.3 per 100,000, Finland’s 5.2 and Norway’s 4.7. All three neighboring countries enacted stricter policies. For comparison, the United States had 24 COVID-19 deaths per 100,000 as of May 15. But Sweden has fared better than hard-hit countries such as the United Kingdom and Spain
Yes, Sweden's numbers are higher than they should be because the virus was able to get into many of their nursing homes. However, considering that they didn't social distance at all, they are doing pretty good.

You're conflating sending an individual kid home that is sick vs shutting down the entire school.

HUH????????
SWEDEN is 7th IN THE WORLD IN DEATHS PER 100,000.
8 of the top 10 countries in the world with the highest case counts have a lower death rate per 100,000 than Sweden (the exceptions being Spain and the UK, which are 5th and 4th on deaths per 100k).
USA, Russia, India, Brazil, Mexico, Germany. Canada....all of them have lower rates.
I wasn't sure if you were talking about deaths per number of cases or population so I pulled these up.

USA has 410 deaths per 1m population
Brazil has 326 deaths per 1m
Mexico has 260 deaths per 1m
Germany has 109 deaths per 1m
Canada has 232 deaths per 1m

Sweden has 545 deaths per 1m

Belgium has 844 deaths per 1m
France has 459 deaths per 1m
Italy has 578 deaths per 1m
Spain has 607
UK has 657

Many of the countries with extremely low numbers, you have to wonder about their reporting honesty or if their methodology differs from other countries(not referring to any of the above countries). Like China. Then there's Germany. Will be interesting to see how things go moving forward.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/a...ys-coronavirus-infections-rise-342-to-182-370

Will be interesting how these numbers play out the rest of the year since in Sweden the virus has for the most part run its course. Those other countries only slowed it down for now. If they show in the end that they can completely stop the spread of the virus, then good on them. Otherwise I think we could see similar numbers with most countries in the end.

Yes, Sweden's numbers are higher than they should be because the virus was able to get into many of their nursing homes. However, considering that they didn't social distance at all, they are doing pretty good.
So your policy would be for the US to increase its death rate approximately 45% from 24/100k to 35/100k to try to achieve a claimed herd immunity that there currently is no demonstrable evidence to be either achievable or ongoing?
Seems like an idea to take for a test drive...let's start sampling with your family.

So your policy would be for the US to increase its death rate approximately 45% from 24/100k to 35/100k to try to achieve a claimed herd immunity that there currently is no demonstrable evidence to be either achievable or ongoing?
Seems like an idea to take for a test drive...let's start sampling with your family.
My family has already had the virus, so I'm way ahead of you.

960x0.jpg

I have a 17 year old who's going to be a senior. I want him to go full time, want him to be able to play baseball in the spring.

The school district has been taking surveys and in every one we have said the kids should go full time. Last spring's online classes were a joke, although I believe they would better this time.

What I want........and my reason for the thread.......is for our freakin elected officials to get their act together and make it as safe as possible for my and your kids. It's been 6 months and they still don't know what the hell they're doing. 6 months and we're getting different recommendations from this admin and their own CDC. Think about that.

I mean, why should I listen to EITHER of them? The CDC has screwed this up from the beginning and the Trump admin has CLEARLY shown it's more interested in getting Trump re-elected than solving the crisis and keeping people alive. Madness.
FFS Bob, the states and local school districts decide how they will deal with this. The federal government gives general guidelines. Your assertion that “one size fits all” is ridiculous on its face.

But keep spewing your daily TDS, Bob......

Did you read what I replied to you with? Spain has actually done a very broad based study (60,000) people. Herd immunity is not a thing. Which is why no one is actually talking about it as a sound strategy other than talking heads.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53315983

You are misinformed. Sweden didn't go on total lockdown like we did for 6 weeks, but they absolutely implemented social distancing, canceled school, and visits to nursing homes was banned.

https://www.orfonline.org/research/swedens-soft-covid19-strategy-an-appraisal-69291/
Scroll down to the section entitled "The Swedish Strategy"

Reactions: 70boiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT