ADVERTISEMENT

Online survey

GodFamilyCountryPurdue

All-American
Aug 5, 2014
Have any of you completed the online survey that is being emailed out? I filled it out, today. They have some pretty nice concepts lined up for the stadium. They are all very pricey, but they have some good ideas. If you guys filled it out, what are your favorite ideas?

it seemed like a lot of diff. seating - maybe too much variety for limited seats that may or may not even be sold though(?).
i dont know.
w/those prices, it still seems more corporate driven than to most of the casual fans/alumni.

for the pics, first thing i noticed - it seemed even more enclosed than the fan rendering w/the train tunnels. and burke reminded(sarcastically noted) to us that those tunnels may not be possible due to disaster code/exiting the stadium, etc. this design looked even more restrictive!

would definitely like more train/boilermaker/purdue theme structure or design to show up though. even a little in the north end zone too.
overall it seemed really nice, but it just doesn't scream anything uniquely 'purdue' yet.

it seemed like a lot of diff. seating - maybe too much variety for limited seats that may or may not even be sold though(?).
i dont know.
w/those prices, it still seems more corporate driven than to most of the casual fans/alumni.

for the pics, first thing i noticed - it seemed even more enclosed than the fan rendering w/the train tunnels. and burke reminded(sarcastically noted) to us that those tunnels may not be possible due to disaster code/exiting the stadium, etc. this design looked even more restrictive!

would definitely like more train/boilermaker/purdue theme structure or design to show up though. even a little in the north end zone too.
overall it seemed really nice, but it just doesn't scream anything uniquely 'purdue' yet.
I agree with pretty much everything you said. I'd like to see something that said "Purdue" more. It seemed very upscale without any options for the average fan. The designs looked fantastic, but it wouldn't be anything I'd be able to see in person ($$$).

I agree with pretty much everything you said. I'd like to see something that said "Purdue" more. It seemed very upscale without any options for the average fan. The designs looked fantastic, but it wouldn't be anything I'd be able to see in person ($$$).
Seems the athletic dept wants to find a magic formula to get fans and $$ in the stands without providing the key ingredient, a competitive football team. Maybe they should consider setting up Ross Ade for rock concerts????

i dont know.

I agree. Needs to be more uniquely Purdue. Hoping it is accessible for the common fan. No reason the common fan couldn't at least enjoy a standing room only patio area at least without having to pay a ton of money for a seat.
Obviously it looked like the design is trying to look similar to the press box design. I just don't see how they can sell the high dollar seats in both the press box area and the south end zone. Is there really that much demand?

I don't see anything for younger kids/families other than the Hall of Innovation...which isn't something that would probably be a return attraction for typical Purdue fans. It would be cool to see once, but not something you visit every weekend. I think there definitely needs to be something that attracts the younger fans.

I almost feel like all of the surveying and fancy designs being tossed at us is just a way for Burke to prove there won't be a way for anything nice and extravagant (because there isn't enough demand/money from fans) and they will end up settling for something cheap and inexpensive.

Regardless, whatever they end up doing will be better than what we have...I just hope it isn't too corporate and hope the only common fan access is to the big "hall of innovation".

Have any of you completed the online survey that is being emailed out? I filled it out, today. They have some pretty nice concepts lined up for the stadium. They are all very pricey, but they have some good ideas. If you guys filled it out, what are your favorite ideas?

My only thing I'll say is that they need to build something they can sell. The reason they are down in revenue so much is that demand is down.

Right now, the club seats aren't sold out - but they want to add more premium seats. I'm guessing that not all of the suites are remotely sold out either - but they want to add more premium seats.

If they want smaller "loge box" types of seating, split an existing suite into 2 and create a smaller, more affordable premium seat.

I'd rather them build the bones of what they need and then worry about add-ons when there's demand. Even in the Tiller era, Purdue never sold out every home game. We've trimmed our stadium nearly 20,000 and we aren't close to selling out every home game. Building premium seating is not going to spark interest in a family coming to a game at an empty stadium.

They need to focus on the basics and filling Ross-Ade as a whole - and that comes with investing in the football program with the right staff, the right facilities, the right student-athletes, etc. Right now, I don't think they're doing the basics right. I'd rather that money go there than some fancily-named seating area built for "well to do" fans as the advertising states.

Reactions: ghostoffatjack
Looks like a Japanese bullet train station, minus the train, minus the track and certainly minus the boilers.

And with those prices, minus the fans.

Reactions: O.H. Lee
Sweet idea if they can put a winning team on the field and pull it off! IMO, you can't wait to get this done to field a better team with top recruits! Also if the pricing is what they indicate, you better put a much larger video screen in the NORTH end zone for those folks paying the BIG bucks to sit in the SOUTH end zone! If Purdue waits as is indicated when they finally get it done it will be outdated! Time to drop the ultra-conservative mode that Purdue is and not catch up but proceed full speed ahead and get it done asap in one or two years or like I said when it is finished it will probably be outdated! FYI, Hammer & Rails has all the mock ups for those of you who were not sent the survey!

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Seems the athletic dept wants to find a magic formula to get fans and $$ in the stands without providing the key ingredient, a competitive football team. Maybe they should consider setting up Ross Ade for rock concerts????
This can't be stated enough. Until the football team is competitive and wins games, all of this is just a waste of money.

I dont really care what they do with it cause I wont be going down there. However, I do wish that whatever it was would have outside fans that can make noise.

This can't be stated enough. Until the football team is competitive and wins games, all of this is just a waste of money.

Spot on. My closing free form comment was along the lines of "fix the product on the field and improve the 'average fan" game day experience before trying to extract more revenue from the fans and attendees". I'm sure they are going to immediately hire me as a consultant on future improvements :)

Spot on. My closing free form comment was along the lines of "fix the product on the field and improve the 'average fan" game day experience before trying to extract more revenue from the fans and attendees". I'm sure they are going to immediately hire me as a consultant on future improvements :)

Personally, I think Purdue's game day atmosphere was fine until they started jacking around with it. Again, it comes down to the product on the field. If people are into the game, they don't need a lot of pizzazz. Since the later 2000s, Purdue's been messing around trying to create new tradition, upheaving longstanding traditions, etc. - to no avail.

Look at Purdue Basketball - there's not much to the game day experience that's not organic. It's the game action, the Paint Crew that's into the game and a few songs that the band plays. But it's considered one of the best places to watch a game.

If this was baseball - sure, entertainment/experience away from the game is important. But this isn't baseball.

For college football, it's the product that makes it special.

I dont disagree that the product on the field comes first. I dont think anyone is debating that. However, you cant guarantee a winning product on the field. You can guarantee improvements to everything else. Its much better to get a running start on this so its already there, or at least in the pipeline, whenever the program finally goes on the upswing. Some things are subject to approval from the masses, but there is plenty of work to do. For example, WIFI, improved player amenties for recruiting, and a new stadium sound system are all no risk projects that just need the check written.

Im glad they are trying something, especially openly acknowledging improvements to player amenties are 'sorely needed'. Hopefully that debate is put to rest on here.

Reactions: ghostoffatjack
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT