ADVERTISEMENT

If I was the new coach

FLAG HUNTER

Junior
Oct 2, 2014
Ya know it’s pretty bad what is being said , by some people on this board, about a new head coach that hasn’t even had the first practice with his new team . Unbelievable what people are saying when they have no clue how the man will do as Purdue’s coach. If he or his family is reading any of the comments, he is probably wondering what kind of support he will have. I will definitely give Ryan my support, and give the guy time to show what he can do with the team! Just my thoughts after seeing what I saw today on the board.

I don't think the negativity has anything to do with him personally. Bobinski sold a bill of goods to the fans of a big name hire, and it did not materialize.

Yes, you have to keep an open mind absolutely. However, someone that has not been a head coach, no true way to judge how he is going to recruit, and we have always been known for our offense plays into the negativity. If we can pull in a great OC, and see some recruits sign on or transfer portal additions, then I think we start to see a change in attitude.

However, I will admit that I am initially underwhelmed, but trying to give him a chance.

Ya know it’s pretty bad what is being said , by some people on this board, about a new head coach that hasn’t even had the first practice with his new team . Unbelievable what people are saying when they have no clue how the man will do as Purdue’s coach. If he or his family is reading any of the comments, he is probably wondering what kind of support he will have. I will definitely give Ryan my support, and give the guy time to show what he can do with the team! Just my thoughts after seeing what I saw today on the board.
Lots and lots of "sleeper" trolls have popped up. Some of the regulars who are up in arms tend to get that way on a regular basis, so that isn't anything new. The vast majority of the fanbase (which doesn't post on this or any other board) will welcome Walters and give him the time he deserves.

How did Bobinski sell a bill of goods? Some of these negative posts are ridiculous. If you are in Bobinski's shoes, you can have a plan (no names) on how best to go about a process of getting a new coach and a timeline. These things happen very fluid like...These comments make it sound like all he had to do was pull a name of the hat and then hire Nick Saban. The reality in situations like this are, if there is a guy out there with head coaching experience at this time, it is probably bc he has been fired duh. OR....he is an up and coming guy from a smaller school who has not made a name for himself yet.
I know we got burned by Hazzel, but let's be a classy fan base and give this guy the benefit of the doubt. Reports I have read indicated he was ready to be promoted to HC and other schools were looking at him. Will he pan out...who knows, but let's hope for the best. Are we true fans or not? Looking at the list of candidates that have been shared over the last week, I think we probably got a good one, at least I'm going to root for him and the team and hope we did.

BOILERUP

Despite all my joke posts throughout the chaos today, I'm in the wait and see crowd. The sun will rise tomorrow.

I have changed my stance on Brian coaching the bowl, though. Pack your bags, please.
Agree, Brian needs to go now. Would be nice to have our new coach start working with the players and see what he can do against lsu.

Right-on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Garrett Riley has no head coaching experience, but half the people on this board were willing to hop in their car and drive to Ft Worth and pick him up personally.
We still have one poster wanting les miles. Nobody said the average IQ was very high on these forums.

I think for me it was Bobo saying we were making a splash and we are a destination program to lay a turd of a coach with zero HQ experience and a below average recruiting history.

I don't think the negativity has anything to do with him personally. Bobinski sold a bill of goods to the fans of a big name hire, and it did not materialize.

Yes, you have to keep an open mind absolutely. However, someone that has not been a head coach, no true way to judge how he is going to recruit, and we have always been known for our offense plays into the negativity. If we can pull in a great OC, and see some recruits sign on or transfer portal additions, then I think we start to see a change in attitude.

However, I will admit that I am initially underwhelmed, but trying to give him a chance.
I remember CJB just saying that 90% of his peers told him not to take the job back in’16. He said it motivated him all the more. Again, off the radio today they stated that Walters is expected to spend the month in WL with his new team vs. being in Champagne. Also that our new coach is very close to Eric Bienemy OC @ KC Chiefs. I’m hoping he can get some excellent advice on OC from that friendship.

We still have one poster wanting les miles. Nobody said the average IQ was very high on these forums.

I think for me it was Bobo saying we were making a splash and we are a destination program to lay a turd of a coach with zero HQ experience and a below average recruiting history.
I can understand some level of frustration, but I think people are getting too caught up in Bobinski promising a splash. None of us had any idea of where Walters ranked in Purdue's list of candidates, let alone where the industry views him as a candidate. He could very well be perceived as the next big thing among coaching circles. If it wasn't Purdue grabbing him this year, could have easily been another program next year.

Bobiniski also said this program is in a better place now than it was when we hired Brohm, but we also have no clue if a guy like Walters would have accepted this position 6 years ago or would have waited for a better job to come along since the program was in shambles at the time.

Garrett Riley has no head coaching experience, but half the people on this board were willing to hop in their car and drive to Ft Worth and pick him up personally.

Because he would bring the type of offense necessary for Purdue football to be successful. This hire has Hazel 2.0 written all over it.

Reactions: FiveWeight
Because he would bring the type of offense necessary for Purdue football to be successful. This hire has Hazel 2.0 written all over it.
Its delusional to think that a school must play a certain style of play in order to be competitive. Unless you think our grass is more conducive to running a go route than limiting an opposing defense to less than 200 yards of offense. I think what you meant to say is "I like offense, so we should have hired an offensive guy"

You can say he's Hazell 2.0 all you want but you have not factual basis for that argument other than as an irrational opinion.

give it a rest. You also are one of the posters. What's your IQ? that was 7 years go. and he wanted les miles over the other names being mentioned. Do you even recall who the other names being mentioned were? You have no idea what the context even was. Given a choice of all the projected candidates that were mentioned at that time, you probably would have wanted Les Miles too.

It gets tiring people keep bringing this up . and they weren't even posting on this board when the original comment was made. they just keep echoing other people's posts.

Well, grandma got run over by a reindeer too. I doubt anybody here remembers the sequel to that song which was on Elmo and Patty's next record, or that Elmo and Patty got a divorce. Basically, grandpa was going to sue the pants off of Santa.

My choice at that time was Bowden from Auburn who had just been fired and was at Akron or Tressell who was under NCAA investigation.

As i said, that was 7 years ago. it's not like he still wants Miles, or I want tressell.

Do some research before posting. By the way, you're quick to cut somebody down, who was your choice at the time?

Well the concept here is that the new HC will move the program forward and not regress. So did we do that? who knows. You mention IQ, well I am sure everyone here is smart but not necessarily in Football IQ. I know we all see what is going on around us in the rest of the Football world and we just want to keep up!

I hope the athletic department has packed the bags for both Brian and Mark.
I just listened to Brohm on ESPN Sirius XM this morning. He is very respectful of Purdue and yes this was a once in a lifetime deal for him. Apparently he and the Purdue AD made an agreement that he would leave a coaching crew behind for the bowl game. But apparently they are leaving after the game. Also mentioned that players he was recruiting to Purdue were not being targetted unless they contacted him. Eye roll.

• Haha
Reactions: purduepat1969

I think you're confusing the bashing of Walters with the bashing of the decision by our AD. I have nothing against Walters. I just think it was a big risk hire and highly questionable for a P5 team who's identity has always been on the offensive side of the ball...

Reactions: FiveWeight
I think you're confusing the bashing of Walters with the bashing of the decision by our AD. I have nothing against Walters. I just think it was a big risk hire and highly questionable for a P5 team who's identity has always been on the offensive side of the ball...
We’ll see how big of risk it is when we see the contract details.

give it a rest. You also are one of the posters. What's your IQ? that was 7 years go. and he wanted les miles over the other names being mentioned. Do you even recall who the other names being mentioned were? You have no idea what the context even was. Given a choice of all the projected candidates that were mentioned at that time, you probably would have wanted Les Miles too.

It gets tiring people keep bringing this up . and they weren't even posting on this board when the original comment was made. they just keep echoing other people's posts.

Well, grandma got run over by a reindeer too. I doubt anybody here remembers the sequel to that song which was on Elmo and Patty's next record, or that Elmo and Patty got a divorce. Basically, grandpa was going to sue the pants off of Santa.

My choice at that time was Bowden from Auburn who had just been fired and was at Akron or Tressell who was under NCAA investigation.

As i said, that was 7 years ago. it's not like he still wants Miles, or I want tressell.

Do some research before posting. By the way, you're quick to cut somebody down, who was your choice at the time?
Says the guy who thought Ryan's name was "Waters".

I mean it isn't a very convincing hire. No HC experience. That is below MAC level.
Mentioned it elsewhere, but Kirby Smart had no head coaching experience, and he's done OK at UGA. Walters has checked a lot of boxes early on--connecting with recruits and current players, including Mock and Allen--and has shown a lot of energy. Give it time.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Mentioned it elsewhere, but Kirby Smart had no head coaching experience, and he's done OK at UGA. Walters has checked a lot of boxes early on--connecting with recruits and current players, including Mock and Allen--and has shown a lot of energy. Give it time.

I'm in the wait n see camp. Like most, I was hoping for a big name splash hire, but what we got was a "Who?"
Obviously, i hope like hell is succeeds (read a story about Dabo Sweeney being in a similar situation when he was brought into Clemson 12 years ago, so there's hope....).
But...I think if we see either a decline or not growth in years 2 or 3, then we have the right to question MBobs decision.

I would love to know the list of who MBob reached out to and was told "thanks but no thanks".

I'm in the wait n see camp. Like most, I was hoping for a big name splash hire, but what we got was a "Who?"
Obviously, i hope like hell is succeeds (read a story about Dabo Sweeney being in a similar situation when he was brought into Clemson 12 years ago, so there's hope....).
But...I think if we see either a decline or not growth in years 2 or 3, then we have the right to question MBobs decision.

I would love to know the list of who MBob reached out to and was told "thanks but no thanks".
If it doesn’t work, I just pray that we don’t let it drag out for 4 years like we did with Hope and Haze.

Are you really gonna compare a guy that worked for Saban for years as his right hand man to Walters. No offense to Walters, but that's just not even close...

would also like to see the list, then we would get an idea how our program is perceived, although I probably know the perception.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT