ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State v. Purdue Game Thread (BTT Quarterfinal)

All we can do now is recognize that free throws win games. They were far to much to overcome. Unacceptable performance from the line. Wouldn't have needed that epic comeback.

Reactions: purduepat1969
No question....but a helluva effort in the second half.....Boilers need that for 40 minutes, or their season will end sooner than later. Mixed bag, today.....Ohio State is good, and you usually can't spot them a lead like that and expect to have a shot.

Big Cat Williams got back to impact level....that's a really good sign.

We shall see where Purdue gets bracketed.....looks like it might be a #4 in Baylor/Gonzaga half. Shock the World, Boilers!
We will be in Indiana! No heading out West.

Was there much of a Purdue crowd at the game as I could only get the score update.

The is no way the Big Ten doesnt have their eyes on Bo. He is straight up changing games at the end with his calls. To me, it seems pretty goddamn obvious there is something about him where he has to blow that whistle at the end of games.
wasn't he in trouble for his piss poor officiating b4? there were more than one hooking call missed when he was under the bsasket

No question....but a helluva effort in the second half.....Boilers need that for 40 minutes, or their season will end sooner than later. Mixed bag, today.....Ohio State is good, and you usually can't spot them a lead like that and expect to have a shot.

Big Cat Williams got back to impact level....that's a really good sign.

We shall see where Purdue gets bracketed.....looks like it might be a #4 in Baylor/Gonzaga half. Shock the World, Boilers!
Hate to agree with len and John since they are announcers,, but there are major teaching points from this game. I kept telling Kim that if Purdue can get to OT, Purdue would win.

It will be good to play some teams that don't know the freshmen as well, since the freshmen are trying to figure out how to adjust now that their go to is defended.

The first couple of games probably won't defend inside as well as the big and still recover on Purdue's shooters . It is a chance for Brandon who Purdue needs to get going. Tre showed life in the 2nd half, but playing good teams require focus and total effort from the start.

The next game can always be the last...and so do your work early.

I really didn't expect young to have the game he did

Hate to agree with len and John since they are announcers,, but there are major teaching points from this game. I kept telling Kim that if Purdue can get to OT, Purdue would win.

It will be good to play some teams that don't know the freshmen as well, since the freshmen are trying to figure out how to adjust now that their go to is defended.

The first couple of games probably won't defend inside as well as the big and still recover on Purdue's shooters . It is a chance for Brandon who Purdue needs to get going. Tre showed life in the 2nd half, but playing good teams require focus and total effort from the start.

The next game can always be the last...and so do your work early.

I really didn't expect young to have the game he did
There's a lot that can be said, as you just did about the freshmen. Hopefully this will give them reason to go back and watch their play on game film. And the next four days would be spent shooting free throws.

There's a lot that can be said, as you just did about the freshmen. Hopefully this will give them reason to go back and watch their play on game film. And the next four days would be spent shooting free throws.
Missed FTs, lack of boards, late on all the loose balls first half imply lack of focus and understanding of the moment. Purdue didn't turn it over much and so that did show focus in that area, but other areas not so much.

I posted elsewhere that I thought Holtmann's approach to Purdue bigs would be an attempt sometime in the game to not play young as much and thought it would be Musa with his athletic ability to get some minutes. I didn't think OSU could flip it with young out there, but did he have a great game.

New teams to play I think will be good for Purdue. I doubt the first two games assuming Purdue wins will probably not have seen low post play as a main part of the game and none know how they can do against the size of Zach. Purdue just needs to understand NOW that the next game could be the last and be a MACHINE in efficiency not ride the emotional high and lows

Missed the game and don't want to rewatch a loss, but what was up with Sasha's 0 in 36 mins? It looks like Newman maybe should have been out there a little more in hindsight?

Ivey is playing at All-B1G level now which is great, but he is going to need at least one of those other guards to step it up consistently if this team makes a run in next week.

As others are saying, a loss really isn't a bad thing. Team should be on edge next week against an overmatched team in round one.

Reactions: TX4GB
Does this team need a better start defensively or offensively? If defensively, which is always my lean, I start Newman and bring SS off the bench.
I do the same thing, Newman needs to start, Sasha along with Zach attack needs to be the first two off the bench.

Reactions: Schnelk
Does this team need a better start defensively or offensively? If defensively, which is always my lean, I start Newman and bring SS off the bench.
I was disappointed with Sasha's performance yesterday, and I'm sure he was as well. But the threat of his 3 ball is just hard to not to take into account. He had a defender on him at all times yesterday, which kept double and triple teams off of Tre and Zach. I'm not sure Newman garners that much respect from the opposing coaches just yet.

I would like to see Sasha’s home vs. away/neutral shooting splits. Also depending on where we get placed, he might do better at Hinkle or Farmers than at Lucas Oil with the spacious backdrop.

Watching the game, Sasha was never left open. Often his man was in position to quickly double Big Cat, but refused to leave Sasha. He was hounded the entire game. I guess OSU decided they were not going to get beaten by an avalanche of threes from Sasha.

Reactions: Schnelk and DrEss
I was disappointed with Sasha's performance yesterday, and I'm sure he was as well. But the threat of his 3 ball is just hard to not to take into account. He had a defender on him at all times yesterday, which kept double and triple teams off of Tre and Zach. I'm not sure Newman garners that much respect from the opposing coaches just yet.
I agree with SS being a greater threat from 3, but then with that, we are basing our decision on wanting more offense to start the game. To me, BN offers a decent enough offensive threat but adds a better defensive result. When we have so many interchangeable options I would be a mad scientist as a Head Coach, changing things up based on our most recent performances. I guess that is why I wouldn’t be successful. Ha!

Reactions: Schnelk
I agree with SS being a greater threat from 3, but then with that, we are basing our decision on wanting more offense to start the game. To me, BN offers a decent enough offensive threat but adds a better defensive result. When we have so many interchangeable options I would be a mad scientist as a Head Coach, changing things up based on our most recent performances. I guess that is why I wouldn’t be successful. Ha!
That is how the government works...mad scientist experimenting and immune from the consequences of those decisions...inherent in all 3rd part decisions. ;)

I really like Brandon...like the whole team and don't have an informed side. This year has had Purdue a better team in the second half than the first half more often than not. Much of Purdue's offense lies in how well Tre is playing. Tre is on record stating in his opinion (right or wrong) that it takes him a while to figure out how or if he is getting doubled. If all are true (don't know) it brings to mind that perhaps neither Brandon or Sasha are much different in starting a game on the offensive side as far as the scoring effect? Basketball is very tied to offense and defense in that one really has an effect on the other...more so than football which is also affected, but not to the same degree and so one is NOT totally independant from the other in basketball. Sasha was out for a while and not that the confounded results allow true isolation and separation as to the effectiveness of Brandon, but there was no huge uptake I recall to form a hypothesis that Brandon started the offense better.

Perhaps, and I don't know...Matt just wants to not have a bad start...knowing the youth and how well Purdue has done in the second half and he sees Sasha as more reliable in not making the mistakes that puts the team in a hole to start? AGain, I have no idea, but perhaps Matt aligns around some of that?

FWIW, you are not more of a mad scientist than many takes in all forums...it's just what happens...

I agree. Sasha's man was in his jersey the entire game. Newman needs to get his confidence back. Maybe spend more time in the weihjt room.

I agree. Sasha's man was in his jersey the entire game. Newman needs to get his confidence back. Maybe spend more time in the weihjt room.
The OSU goal and the way Holtmann plays D is to be very physical inside as well as pressure the perimeter. No problem with that approach at all. It seems at times that Tre does not embrace the physicality all the time. In the first half it was more apparent as Tre didn't work enough to get deep and tended to step towards the baseline rather than the basket on his jump hook...none to suggest the L goes to Tre...just what seems to happen when he struggles. Brandon needs a bit more time to shoot and now that teams know he is deadly, they cover him tight. He dribbled into traffic once of twice yesterday...not sure. I think Brandon needs some new defenders that don't know him as he is a bit shaken now it seems..and then work like hell on his ball handing for further improvement, which can buy him more time on his shot as well. I think...and HOPE Brandon finds his confidence in the early games of the tourney, because he can help Purdue

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT