ADVERTISEMENT

Octeous 's old team got screwed

PaBoiler78

All-American
Jan 18, 2002
finished 27-6 w/ a RPI of 30 and didn't make it while teams like ucla and iu did.

download

crazy huh? Heard so much about RPI, but then saw

others get in ahead of some. I wonder if money has anything to do with the selection, routes they want teams to take...who plays who...etc...etc...

According to CBS, Colorado State is the first top-30 RPI team to be left out of the field since Missouri State in 2006.

I don't know much about CSU, but the RPI is a blunt instrument the very limited predictive power compared to more sophisticated metrics.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by BoilerDaddy:
I don't know much about CSU, but the RPI is a blunt instrument the very limited predictive power compared to more sophisticated metrics.
It seems the only more sophisticated metric used this year is $$. How else do you explain powerhouses like
IU, UCLA and Texas being solidly in.

Originally posted by atmafola:

It seems the only more sophisticated metric used this year is $$. How else do you explain powerhouses like
Texas was really helped by SOS and the strength of the Big 12....I thought they would be left out, however. I'll get criticized for this, but I thought Indiana deserved a bid when you look at the entire season, partly because a lot of the other teams near the bottom of the field also lost late in the year. UCLA, I have barely a clue how they got a bid....that is the head-scratcher to me. Boise State might have been left out, too, but they got no break having to play Dayton in Dayton for the First Four.

Maybe Miami, Temple, Colorado State, and Murray State can make some arguments.....but when you're toward the bottom of the field, this can always happen. It looks like Temple was the odd team out from Wyoming's upset, and if UConn had won, I think Boise State would have been out.

Michigan State got a good draw I think, and I thought Ohio State would have been a #8 seed. Iowa/Davidson should be a good game.

Originally posted by Purdue Grad in Texas:

Texas was really helped by SOS and the strength of the Big 12....I thought they would be left out, however. I'll get criticized for this, but I thought Indiana deserved a bid when you look at the entire season, partly because a lot of the other teams near the bottom of the field also lost late in the year. UCLA, I have barely a clue how they got a bid....that is the head-scratcher to me. Boise State might have been left out, too, but they got no break having to play Dayton in Dayton for the First Four.

Maybe Miami, Temple, Colorado State, and Murray State can make some arguments.....but when you're toward the bottom of the field, this can always happen. It looks like Temple was the odd team out from Wyoming's upset, and if UConn had won, I think Boise State would have been out.

Michigan State got a good draw I think, and I thought Ohio State would have been a #8 seed. Iowa/Davidson should be a good game.
UCLA got in because of their entire book of work. They were 10-11 to finish the season, came from eighth in the conference to finish fourth. Personally, I would have loved to see a UCLA/IU play in game. Watch for MSU to get on a roll, and Davidson to defeat Iowa.

ding ding ding. half the games are rigged anyway.

Twin, we'll agree to disagree on UCLA. Actually, I think they won 9-13 with a few home games, and their only road win in that stretch was @ Stanford, who's not even in the field. Can they play, maybe even win? yes, but I just don't think they performed well enough to get in this year. I think they may have made it because they gave AZ a decent game in the Pac-12 tourney, but that's not supposed to be how it works. Or so we have been told.

Originally posted by Purdue Grad in Texas:

Twin, we'll agree to disagree on UCLA. Actually, I think they won 9-13 with a few home games, and their only road win in that stretch was @ Stanford, who's not even in the field. Can they play, maybe even win? yes, but I just don't think they performed well enough to get in this year. I think they may have made it because they gave AZ a decent game in the Pac-12 tourney, but that's not supposed to be how it works. Or so we have been told.
Okay, we'll agree to disagree but tell me this....

How did IU get in when they lost 9 of their last 13? That is not a team on the rise in anyone's mind except a few illogical Tom Crean supporting IU fanatics. When they won those alleged great games against Butler etc., they were playing really well. Since then, see my note about all those late season losses, most of which were collapses in the second half. While I can't stand watching WSU, I'm going to love watching Crean stand on the sidelines looking at Marshall asking if his mom or dad had an affair.

WSU, with basically a home crowd should end IU's run, and Tom Crean can head to Alabama.

Twin,

Comparing Indiana and UCLA is really getting into the weeds, but between the two teams, Indiana has the better argument, despite the late season swoon.

UCLA's best wins? Utah and Oregon, home games......that's all I could find
on the road? Stanford

Now, they did play some ranked teams.....but no wins (Kentucky, UNC, Gonzaga, Arizona (x2), Oklahoma)

Indiana beat Ohio State, Maryland, Butler, SMU (one neutral game)
on the road? Illinois

I can see the argument that Indiana could have slipped out of the field, but the other teams toward the bottom of the field had weaker resumes. On top of that, even with the Big Ten being a little weaker this year, it was still more competitive than the Pac-12.

On to Thursday in Louisville for the Boilers. It will be a tough game with the Bearcats......it's a toss-up to me.

Personally, I think Colorado State got screwed. People say the Rams didn't play anybody that mattered, but all UCLA really did was lose to a lot of people who mattered.

CSU (rpi ~29) went 5-5 vs. the RPI top-100 (0-0 vs. 1-25, 2-3 vs. 26-50, 3-2 vs. 51-100)
UCLA (rpi ~48) went 5-10 vs. the RPI top-100 (1-7 vs. 1-25, 1-1 vs. 26-50, 3-2 vs. 51-100)

Texas I can see. It's now common knowledge that the Longhorns went only 3-12 vs. teams that made the NCAA tournament, but they did beat Baylor and West Virginia and, thanks to the rigor of the B12) played 2/3 of their games against top-100 teams.

Indiana, I thought, should be i-more because what the Hoosiers did before February and because other bubble teams lost early in their conference tournaments - than because of anything Indiana has done lately.

In some ways, Indiana got a much more favorable draw than Purdue. If (IF) the Hoosiers can get by Wichita State (I wouldn't bet on it), Kansas looks to be ripe for the picking in the Round of 32.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT