ADVERTISEMENT

Nnaji Announcement

I’d say we were right there again. UNC swooping in at last minute and spending 1 day with the kid seals it......That’s not Painters fault; but frustrating as we needed a 4 for next year. Paint and crew need to figure out how to close a few of these out; no trophies for 2nd place in recruiting battles.

There is room for Zeke to start and help immediately. If Purdue doesn’t land him and Wheeler and Williams develop as expected, that’s a good thing to. Wheeler and Williams have very high ceilings and are completely different players at the same position.

I’d say we were right there again. UNC swooping in at last minute and spending 1 day with the kid seals it......That’s not Painters fault; but frustrating as we needed a 4 for next year. Paint and crew need to figure out how to close a few of these out; no trophies for 2nd place in recruiting battles.
How can it not be Painters fault? Losing a recruiting battle is 100% on the head coach. It all falls on the head coaches shoulders. That's why he's paid millions a year.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
How can it not be Painters fault? Losing a recruiting battle is 100% on the head coach.
Except that it isn't. The recruit makes the decision and there are a million different reasons as to why a recruit chooses where they want to go. Treed, who actually went through the process, has said as much.

Your line of thinking is very narrow-minded to be honest and couldn't be further from what people that go through it have said.

Edit: Here read this as it adds even more variables to a decision: https://www.myajc.com/sports/colleg...basketball-recruiting/yCKUbAr9LXMhFgfPDVBRzO/

Is the coach important? Of course! But he is not the sole reason and you can't cast a blanket theory for all recruits because every 17 year old is going to be different.

Last edited:
How can it not be Painters fault? Losing a recruiting battle is 100% on the head coach. It all falls on the head coaches shoulders. That's why he's paid millions a year.
Sure it’s the head coach. He is responsible for selling himself, the staff, the team, the university, and the program. Some of these things sell themselves in different programs. Unfortunately, Painter’s job is more difficult than Coach K’s. It’s sales 101. Are there many factors that go into a decision, sure. It is the head coach’s responsibility to identify those factors and address them. I just don’t think CMP is a good salesman, he’s a no nonsense guy that tells recruits how it is. The problem is, recruits don’t want to hear that at times.

I feel Painter's biggest weakness is not his ability as a salesman but rather the inability of his assistants as salesmen. In the glory days of FSU and PSU, jo pa and Bowden were the closers after their assistants did all the selling.
At Purdue in the past Kendricks and Zo built a reputation as great recruiters.

I'll ask bluntly, what recruit has Purdue signed that was recruited by Lutz? I keep seeing his name associated with recruits that signed elsewhere.

In the end, it's the head coach's responsibility. But the entire coaching staff is responsible for recruiting. My belief is they may be great at developing talent, but as sales representatives for Purdue University basketball, they su.. I mean su..re are not great fishers of men. Their nets are empty!

I feel Painter's biggest weakness is not his ability as a salesman but rather the inability of his assistants as salesmen. In the glory days of FSU and PSU, jo pa and Bowden were the closers after their assistants did all the selling.

I'll ask bluntly, what recruit has Purdue signed that was recruited by Lutz? I keep seeing his name associated with recruits that signed elsewhere.

In the end, it's the head coach's responsibility. But the entire coaching staff is responsible for recruiting. My belief is they may be great at developing talent, but as sales representatives for Purdue University basketball, they su.. I mean su..re are not great fishers of men. Their nets are empty!
I actually agree with this. I’m not sure Lutz has delivered on the expectations for him in his role. At least not mine...who knows about CMP.

Sure it’s the head coach. He is responsible for selling himself, the staff, the team, the university, and the program. Some of these things sell themselves in different programs. Unfortunately, Painter’s job is more difficult than Coach K’s. It’s sales 101. Are there many factors that go into a decision, sure. It is the head coach’s responsibility to identify those factors and address them. I just don’t think CMP is a good salesman, he’s a no nonsense guy that tells recruits how it is. The problem is, recruits don’t want to hear that at times.
Everyone keeps talking about being a good salesman. IMO that only goes so far. Maybe I'm a different that most. But for me the more someone tries to "sell" me on something the more I distance myself from that person. I can't stand being BS'd and I know it when I hear it. I'm guessing CMP wouldn't want the kind of player who needs to be BS'd and have their ego stroked.

Everyone keeps talking about being a good salesman. IMO that only goes so far. Maybe I'm a different that most. But for me the more someone tries to "sell" me on something the more I distance myself from that person. I can't stand being BS'd and I know it when I hear it. I'm guessing CMP wouldn't want the kind of player who needs to be BS'd and have their ego stroked.
They’re talking about good salesman. Not used car salesman.

With the salesman tactic that's been mentioned; your traditional blue bloods sell themselves. That's was my point earlier-UNC came in at the last minute because they were in panic mode due to losing other recruits for that position recently (he's like their 3rd or 4th choice). When word got around Purdue might be leading for this young man, Ol Roy made the call. I would imagine there wasn't much 1 on 1, the kid probably just walked around and met the staff and it locked him in.
What Painter needs to do, since he's not the salesman to close these out is get a guy (cough cough Cuonzo) on your staff that can seal the deal. We don't have that apparently. Look at the schools this year that landed multiple 4 and 5 star players, its not all blue bloods.

Salesmanship is important, but you would never sell me anything I didn't want...never...but that is not to say that some would buy whatever... ;)

I'll bet if they cast their nets on the other side...where the shoes are...they would catch more fish. ;)

This X1000

Reactions: rjmpu82
UNC is the school Nnaji grew up cheering for. That's the only reason they were allowed into the recruitment this late.

The general gist I'm getting from the various boards is that the Nnaji family has a checklist and they're being very detailed oriented this week as they make their decision.

No disrespect, but you’re not a Top 50 basketball player that every power 5 team In the country wants on their team. They’ve been told how great they are since 7th grade and now they can go to any college they want. They absolutely have to be sold, convinced, whatever you want to call it. It’s nit like you going to a car dealership.

Done, Thread over. Excellent comment.

Reactions: chaspark
Why is no one talking about the level of recruit Painter is now going after. It was not that long ago he was hit and miss with high 3 stars now he has moved up to high 4 star and 5 star players. It's a pyramid and its harder to land these kids unless you have a rep or are paying them in some way.

Why is no one talking about the level of recruit Painter is now going after. It was not that long ago he was hit and miss with high 3 stars now he has moved up to high 4 star and 5 star players. It's a pyramid and its harder to land these kids unless you have a rep or are paying them in some way.
Great point. When he wasn't going after these types of players, he was called out for it on here. Now he is since he has the AD backing and people are complaining.

I have little doubt that he could land 3 5* recruits and those whining would still whine because it wasn't 4. I mean he can't get any credit from those people and never will because they somehow think they know better and know how recruiting works. Thing is, other than Treed, not a one of them or any of us for that matter know.

It's enough to make your head hurt.

Most recent I’ve heard was Zona, Kansas, and UNC are neck and neck for the lead. Other schools weren’t even mentioned. This was on a podcast this morning by Evan Daniels and Brian Snow.

The UNC situation is simple. Ole Roy works in a state supported system. In such a system it is common to spend every remaining penny in the budget at year's end for fear of not being funded as well the next year. When options A and B fell through Roy had money he had to spend somewhere or he might not have as much money budgeted to buy recruits next year hence the quick recruitment of Nnaji.

Not true at all. Painter has always gone after 5 stars. And if you go by recruiting class rankings his recruiting has actually gotten worse over the years instead of trending up like it should be. The increased money hasn't helped and for whatever reason these top level recruits just don't seem to resonate with whatever painter is selling. Its gotten to the point where landing even one consensus top 100 player in a class is considered a major victory.

Not true at all. Painter has always gone after 5 stars. And if you go by recruiting class rankings his recruiting has actually gotten worse over the years instead of trending up like it should be.
Except that he hasn't. Rankings are subjective and the results matter. Like winning 30 games and sweet 16 runs.

We're sorry you hate Painter so much that there is literally nothing he can do to appease you, but the fact remains he is a great coach and is frequently mentioned as one of the top ones in the country by people that know more than you.

Another sad fact for you, he isn't going anywhere so either get on the train or go root for someone else. I didn't put you on ignore before, but am now.

Good luck to ya with what appears to be one joyless existence. I truly am sorry for whatever Painter did to you. I mean based on your username I fully expect you're a peegster anyway, but still.

Most recent I’ve heard was Zona, Kansas, and UNC are neck and neck for the lead. Other schools weren’t even mentioned. This was on a podcast this morning by Evan Daniels and Brian Snow.

That's the gist of what I've gathered from the various premium boards. Zeke wants to play for an elite program. Arizona and Kansas have developed a relationship with him over a lengthy recruitment, but the FBI/NCAA stuff is hanging over their heads. UNC is Zeke's dream school, but they got in on him very late.

No one seems to be giving Purdue, Baylor, or UCLA much of a shot.

That's the gist of what I've gathered from the various premium boards. Zeke wants to play for an elite program. Arizona and Kansas have developed a relationship with him over a lengthy recruitment, but the FBI/NCAA stuff is hanging over their heads. UNC is Zeke's dream school, but they got in on him very late.

No one seems to be giving Purdue, Baylor, or UCLA much of a shot.
Yeah, I don’t think it’s worth following really anymore.

Not true at all. Painter has always gone after 5 stars. And if you go by recruiting class rankings his recruiting has actually gotten worse over the years instead of trending up like it should be. The increased money hasn't helped and for whatever reason these top level recruits just don't seem to resonate with whatever painter is selling. Its gotten to the point where landing even one consensus top 100 player in a class is considered a major victory.
Huh? I actually think the 4 current recruiting classes are the four best consecutive classes he’s ever had. And if by some crazy chance we get Zeke, you’ll be able to say the same thing again next year.

Except that he hasn't. Rankings are subjective and the results matter. Like winning 30 games and sweet 16 runs.

We're sorry you hate Painter so much that there is literally nothing he can do to appease you, but the fact remains he is a great coach and is frequently mentioned as one of the top ones in the country by people that know more than you.

Another sad fact for you, he isn't going anywhere so either get on the train or go root for someone else. I didn't put you on ignore before, but am now.

Good luck to ya with what appears to be one joyless existence. I truly am sorry for whatever Painter did to you. I mean based on your username I fully expect you're a peegster anyway, but still.
What an awful post. No surprise coming from you.

Huh? I actually think the 4 current recruiting classes are the four best consecutive classes he’s ever had. And if by some crazy chance we get Zeke, you’ll be able to say the same thing again next year.
It could possibly be the 4 best consecutive. But that's only because he's had more than a few awful classes. For example our current frosh class features no consensus top 100 recruits. I like hunter and he May have been a little underrated. Dowauna and trevion are definitely projects tho. I have no problem with any player individually and they are solid building block pieces. But we need some elite talent to go with them. Painter hasn't shown he can do that on any sort of consistent basis and after 14 years i don't expect him to. Just gonna have to hope he can break through in the tournament with players in that 100-200 range.

Reactions: BoilerIron
It could possibly be the 4 best consecutive. But that's only because he's had more than a few awful classes. For example our current frosh class features no consensus top 100 recruits. I like hunter and he May have been a little underrated. Dowauna and trevion are definitely projects tho. I have no problem with any player individually and they are solid building block pieces. But we need some elite talent to go with them. Painter hasn't shown he can do that on any sort of consistent basis and after 14 years i don't expect him to. Just gonna have to hope he can break through in the tournament with players in that 100-200 range.

What range was Carsen in?

Since star power matters the most, I assume you would have passed on Carsen then?
Classic response. Carsen is the exception not the rule. We recruited (and missed) on other higher ranked guards before Carsen in that class.

You guys act like Painter isnt trying to get more talented guys. He definitely is. He just cant land them.

Classic response. Carsen is the exception not the rule. We recruited (and missed) on other higher ranked guards before Carsen in that class.

You guys act like Painter isnt trying to get more talented guys. He definitely is. He just cant land them.
Classic response to my response! Not arguing that CMP missed on some recruits, most coaches do. I'm just not sure star power is as important as some make it out to be. So...…..you would have passed on CE? Would you pass on Kramer?
BTW, knowing how dirty the game is, I'm surprised CMP even gets close. Actually, the day PU starts landing the talent you all want...…….I might get a bit worried. It's out of our hands anyway LOL.

Classic response to my response! Not arguing that CMP missed on some recruits, most coaches do. I'm just not sure star power is as important as some make it out to be. So...…..you would have passed on CE? Would you pass on Kramer?
BTW, knowing how dirty the game is, I'm surprised CMP even gets close. Actually, the day PU starts landing the talent you all want...…….I might get a bit worried. It's out of our hands anyway LOL.
Hindsight would I have passed on those guys? No.

Hindsight I would have rather had a great number of the high ranked players we recruited than some of the players we landed in the 100-200 range, though.

How do you define Elite? How many years has it been since we haven’t had at least one starter who eventually got drafted? 7 years maybe? Is that not consistent?

Reactions: Purdue85
I would have passed on Kramer, unless he wanted to play linebacker. He was not a B10 level guard. Great defender, hard worker, Johnny hustle, yes, but starting guard for a FF team? No.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
I would have passed on Kramer, unless he wanted to play linebacker. He was not a B10 level guard. Great defender, hard worker, Johnny hustle, yes, but starting guard for a FF team? No.

Maybe not, if your value of a B10 guard is based solely from his offensive output. But he would be a MAJOR component for a final four team IMO. His hustle, sheer will, and toughness on D would be/was unmatched by any 5 star. He would have a spot on my club.

Salesmanship is important, but you would never sell me anything I didn't want...never...but that is not to say that some would buy whatever... ;)
Without meaning to, I think you nailed a key concept. How many five-stars grow up wanting to come to Purdue? How many grow up wanting to go to NC/KY/KS/MSU/Dukewhomever. Sure, Vandy is an aberration, as are others,. Gonzaga is an interesting school, but there are some foreign aspects to some of their recruits too. You say you couldn't be sold anything you didn't want . . . the inverse is you'd gladly buy what you do want, and you are going to buy something. Therefore, when you get the opportunity to buy what you've always wanted, you are a damn easy sell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT