ADVERTISEMENT

Next years lineup?

I love watching Jaden Ivey play. He is the best finisher from the guard position I've seen at Purdue, but.....

Do people on this board realize that around 40% of the shots in the NBA now come from 3 point range and most teams shooting percentage from the extended 3 point line is between 35% and 40%.. 49% of the Utah Jazz's shots are from 3 and they are making them at a 40% clip.

IMO Jaden will need to show he can hit 3 pointers consistently before he even gets drafted, let alone be a lottery pick. No one really knows if he will or won't, so I don't see how anyone can definitively say one way or another without some kind of caveat.

I'd put it this way; If Jaden can show he can be a consistent three point shooter, I believe he will get drafted.

Only time will tell.
I'm curious, what is the 3-pt % for the lottery picks out of college? I haven't looked, but I would be surprised if the many of them shot 40%. Romeo Langford shot around 27% at IU.

Reactions: buffboiler
I'm curious, what is the 3-pt % for the lottery picks out of college? I haven't looked, but I would be surprised if the many of them shot 40%. Romeo Langford shot around 27% at IU.
Don't think Langford is a great example, to date he has to be one of the biggest draft disappointments over the last several years. Look I'm don't want to disparage Ivey. He's great. Selfishly I hope he's here four years. But he's currently the worst three point shooter in the B10 by percentage, The NBA is a league of shooters. Its tough to make it as a shooting guard if you can't hit the three. To answer your question I don't believe Ivey needs to be an exceptional 3 point shooter given his other skills but I would guess he would need to shoot near 35% next year to be a lottery pick???? Just guessing.

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
I love watching Jaden Ivey play. He is the best finisher from the guard position I've seen at Purdue, but.....

Do people on this board realize that around 40% of the shots in the NBA now come from 3 point range and most teams shooting percentage from the extended 3 point line is between 35% and 40%.. 49% of the Utah Jazz's shots are from 3 and they are making them at a 40% clip.

IMO Jaden will need to show he can hit 3 pointers consistently before he even gets drafted, let alone be a lottery pick. No one really knows if he will or won't, so I don't see how anyone can definitively say one way or another without some kind of caveat.

I'd put it this way; If Jaden can show he can be a consistent three point shooter, I believe he will get drafted.

Only time will tell.

Getting drafted isn't the question. The question is, how high. Ivey's usually the best athlete on the floor.

Getting drafted isn't the question. The question is, how high. Ivey's usually the best athlete on the floor.

If he gets his shooting percentage up then he'll be NBA ready.

If you follow the NBA there are more guys from the B10 making it who play like Duncan Robinson than there are that play like Carsen Edwards. Click on this Real GM link below and look at the B10 players in the NBA. Nearly all of the guards who are having successful careers can shoot the three at a fairly good clip.

Don't think Langford is a great example, to date he has to be one of the biggest draft disappointments over the last several years. Look I'm don't want to disparage Ivey. He's great. Selfishly I hope he's here four years. But he's currently the worst three point shooter in the B10 by percentage, The NBA is a league of shooters. Its tough to make it as a shooting guard if you can't hit the three. To answer your question I don't believe Ivey needs to be an exceptional 3 point shooter given his other skills but I would guess he would need to shoot near 35% next year to be a lottery pick???? Just guessing.
Langford was my example. I was curious about your claim that players must shoot 40% from 3. Is this true? What is the shooting % from 3 for the past 3-4 years of lottery picks, who are obviously the most desired players?

Reactions: Purdue85
If he gets his shooting percentage up then he'll be NBA ready.

If you follow the NBA there are more guys from the B10 making it who play like Duncan Robinson than there are that play like Carsen Edwards. Click on this Real GM link below and look at the B10 players in the NBA. Nearly all of the guards who are having successful careers can shoot the three at a fairly good clip.

But as has been said before, the NBA drafts on potential, and Ivey is oozing with potential. Sure, he needs some polish, but he's got an NBA body, NBA athleticism.

When both Furst and Kaufman signed their LOIs, a dozen different line-ups probably flashed through Painter's head, even if it was while asleep and dreaming. And 13 other B1G coaches shared it as a nightmare.

Painter did not know that Edey was so ready to have an impact this year. If he had, he might have made a completely different pitch to Haarms about his future role.

12 players deep?

Oddly enough I believe Sasha may be our most or second most important player. We really missed him in the lineup.

There is no way that Tre is a PF in today’s game. He is really good as of late and he will be our 5. Edey plays 15 minutes and assumes a nice role for himself.

It will be interesting to see how Furst and Kaufman fit in next year. I think in 2 years Furst and Kaufman are starters. Furst at 5, although he and Edey probably split minutes. Kaufman and Gillis will fight it out at the 4. One of them may get more minutes at the 3. Kaufman is the highest recruit in some time.

If Edey is dedicated in the offseason and gains 15 pounds and lots of strength and develops as much in his fundamentals as he has in the last six months he will be impossible to limit to 15 minutes.

If Edey is dedicated in the offseason and gains 15 pounds and lots of strength and develops as much in his fundamentals as he has in the last six months he will be impossible to limit to 15 minutes.

ZACHEN II - The Sequel!

JvOs.gif

• Love
Reactions: TX4GB and Schnelk
If I really had to guess at this point, next year's starters:

Ivey (IT spelling)
Hunter (Newman)
Stefanovic (Kaufman)
Gillis (Wheeler)
Williams (Edey)

10 deep, with Morton and Furst RS'ing. Unless something weird happens like a player transfers because they want a lot more minutes–I don't know if I peg any of these guys as that though.

Reactions: SCBoiler1

Ivey (IT spelling)
Hunter (Newman)
Stefanovic (Kaufman)
Gillis (Wheeler)
Williams (Edey)

10 deep, with Morton and Furst RS'ing. Unless something weird happens like a player transfers because they want a lot more minutes–I don't know if I peg any of these guys as that though.
It’s hard to imagine Furst redshirting with his top 50 ranking.

Langford was my example. I was curious about your claim that players must shoot 40% from 3. Is this true? What is the shooting % from 3 for the past 3-4 years of lottery picks, who are obviously the most desired players?
The number 40% was included in that post but it wasn't related to Jaden's shooting %. I said 40% of the shots in the NBA come from 3 and I later said that 49% of the Utah Jazz's shots were from three and they make 40%.

Jaden, no doubt has special NBA type athleticism. He may even be more athletic than the average guy in the league, but he still needs to show he can hit an outside shot on a consistent basis IMO. That's why I threw out the number 35%. He could get drafted if it was marginally lower. That's just a guess.

By the way after watching Langford for a year at IU, I think we all wondered why he got drafted so high. Mainly because the guy couldn't shoot. Whoever was responsible for Langford being the 14th pick should be fired.

Ivey (IT spelling)
Hunter (Newman)
Stefanovic (Kaufman)
Gillis (Wheeler)
Williams (Edey)

Not bad, I see Wheeler leaving for starters minutes at a lower level somewhere, plug Furst in his spot, think Morton and Isiah battle for minutes, no way Morton shirts considering he could use this year as a extra season if he wants it. Who knows though, Wheeler could continue his nice run and have a great tourney, if that happens he probably stays and fights for starters minutes.

Ivey (IT spelling)
Hunter (Newman)
Stefanovic (Kaufman)
Gillis (Wheeler)
Williams (Edey)

Not bad but I don't think Furst redshirts.

I believe you need to find minutes for Williams, Edey, Ivey, Hunter and Kaufman. Next level would be Newman and Sasha, The rest of the minutes will primarily be split by two of the following four Gillis, Wheeler, Furst and IT. I'll get some slack here but I don't see minutes for Morton.
Rankings outside of the top 15 don't really matter, especially in a "making an impact freshman year" way.

A year in CMP's system will mean the vets will get more minutes down the stretch IMO. I think Kaufman though will break through.
Biggie would beg to differ and I believe he is the only top 50 recruit we've had since Eatwaan.

But as has been said before, the NBA drafts on potential, and Ivey is oozing with potential. Sure, he needs some polish, but he's got an NBA body, NBA athleticism.
No doubt he has crazy athleticism and finishing skills so I get what your saying. So maybe he will get drafted but he won't stick in the league as a shooting guard unless he can show he can shoot. I'm kind of digging myself into a whole because I'm not saying he won't, I hope he can, All I am saying is that's what it will take for him to be successful in the NBA.

This thread way back when was a hit, I'm bumping it damnit, I started the damn thing lol! Seriously, lots of good posts on here, thanks for the thoughts, can't wait for the season!

No doubt he has crazy athleticism and finishing skills so I get what your saying. So maybe he will get drafted but he won't stick in the league as a shooting guard unless he can show he can shoot. I'm kind of digging myself into a whole because I'm not saying he won't, I hope he can, All I am saying is that's what it will take for him to be successful in the NBA.
It would also really help if he ironed out his shooting form a bit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT