ADVERTISEMENT

Need a new head coach!

I can’t believe the fan base postings. Walter’s was hired late in the recruiting season had to go to the portal to get what he could. He was left with a bare cupboard of players. It's his first year with new schemes on both sides of the ball. It’s more obvious that we lack talent overall than coaching. The good players that he was left with are playing well on both sides of the ball in the new schemes. We just don’t have enough of those players. The coaches are working hard to get the talent they need as evident with 80 players visiting the game. Both lines are struggling. They have only had one season of the new strength and conditioning coach. The old group was pathetic. It will take a couple more seasons to build strength throughout as it is not something that happens overnight. The fact that we are having so many offensive linemen getting rolled on is telling us that they as a unit are not keeping the opponents in front of them. These are things that take a few years to correct with depth.

My advice is to chill and give Walter’s time.

Now as for Harrell, I do believe he could help more with shorter quick passes this year and show more air raid style. RPO takes a little more time for the line to hold their blocks and makes Card stay in one spot for to long putting both at a disadvantage. Not saying I am ready to throw the towel in on him yet. The plays he calls are there but the talent (as in development) isn’t there to execute the calls to their entirety.
And it’s not going to be there!

In the timeframe that Walters was left with? LOL Card was acknowledged by many to be the best in the portal. Considering that Brohm never had a scholarship offered quarterback that excelled in his system, that is a bold claim. Brohm left a certifiable dumpster fire(class rank of 69 BEFORE defections) for Walters and went to his dream job. Then we could always look at the strength of schedule. My point is, I'm not happy with the results to date but I understand the situation and believe Walters needs time to work through things.
I’d like to agree with 100% of this but Walters is in way way over his head. His only chance at this point is to burn Harrell at the end of the season and make a phenomenal hire at OC. Unfortunately it’s more likely he sticks with Harrell and we deal with 2 more years of garbage until Walters is gone too. Even if he burns Harrell his options to hire will be severely limited and he’s taking a risk (albeit the risk he has to take). Just being honest here not stating what I want to have happen.

I’d like to agree with 100% of this but Walters is in way way over his head. His only chance at this point is to burn Harrell at the end of the season and make a phenomenal hire at OC. Unfortunately it’s more likely he sticks with Harrell and we deal with 2 more years of garbage until Walters is gone too. Even if he burns Harrell his options to hire will be severely limited and he’s taking a risk (albeit the risk he has to take). Just being honest here not stating what I want to have happen.
Yep. Walters is a first time head coach, and not an offensive mind, and we are paying the price.

Sorry you are so obsessed with wanting to get rid of a first year coach. Bye the way, how many times did Brohm beat Michigan ?
This has nothing to do with beating Michigan. It’s about a team that seems to be getting worse and worse offensively. Two weeks in a row where we can’t seem to complete a forward pass.

Sorry you are so obsessed with wanting to get rid of a first year coach. Bye the way, how many times did Brohm beat Michigan ?
We competed against Michigan. And beat teams like Fresno, Iowa, Nebraska, etc. Took over a 1-8 team and won a bowl game.

How long will you keep making excuses for Walters?

Until Oregon comes in to RA next October and beats us by 50 ?

Those who argue that this team lacks talent, I'll give you that for Michigan and Ohio State, but you can't tell me the talent level on this team is less than the other 7 teams we've played to this point. There's enough talent on this team to be better than 2-7 to this point. We've regularly come out looking unprepared and not ready to play in quarter one, digging a 14-21 point hole before finally settling in usually around the second quarter. That's a pattern that I put on coaching.

This has been the sentiment before the first snap of this game. Walters made a terrible OC hire and that’s going to seal his fate unfortunately. His window for saving his career as a head coach is on a razors edge right now and depends all on what he can do in the offseason with the offense.

Those who argue that this team lacks talent, I'll give you that for Michigan and Ohio State, but you can't tell me the talent level on this team is less than the other 7 teams we've played to this point. There's enough talent on this team to be better than 2-7 to this point. We've regularly come out looking unprepared and not ready to play in quarter one, digging a 14-21 point hole before finally settling in usually around the second quarter. That's a pattern that I put on coaching.
But these guys think this ragged ass staff are 2 classes away from beating the big boys….even though a poorly coached class in the low 30s won’t get these clowns to a bowl game

It’s why I said during the hiring process you have to hire an offensive guy, who’s a head coach bringing a staff with him.
Can’t argue with the logic. Purdue has always been an offense first school so the hire was definitely out of character. Then getting suckered in to a “air raid” coach that runs as much as he throws shows how bad the initial HC hire was. Our AD at this point looks like a total joke that’s asleep at the wheel.

Can’t argue with the logic. Purdue has always been an offense first school so the hire was definitely out of character. Then getting suckered in to a “air raid” coach that runs as much as he throws shows how bad the initial HC hire was. Our AD at this point looks like a total joke that’s asleep at the wheel.
Bare minimum, the offensive staff needs to get upgraded, if Walters is going to get one more season.

Bare minimum, the offensive staff needs to get upgraded, if Walters is going to get one more season.
Sadly, there’s no way Walters doesn’t get a round 2. For his own sake they need to figure out how to sharpen up both sides of the ball or he could be 2 and done.

Sadly, there’s no way Walters doesn’t get a round 2. For his own sake they need to figure out how to sharpen up both sides of the ball or he could be 2 and done.
He was left enough defensive talent to be solid, but the offense sucks so bad that they get left on the field way too long.

And I don’t want to hear about injuries. We weren’t any good in September either…

He was left enough defensive talent to be solid, but the offense sucks so bad that they get left on the field way too long.

And I don’t want to hear about injuries. We weren’t any good in September either…
The only significant D injury is Wilson…and he doesn’t stop us from losing 1v1s on almost every play elsewhere on the field.

A true pair of bookends and we continuously dropped them into space to do nothing tonight.

Gotta be frustrating for these players. Coaches who won’t call plays to your strengths.

Since starting watching Purdue in the mid 90’s, this is the worst offensive Purdue team I have watched.
The funny thing is they showed a lot of potential early on. Its like the more time they get with the current staff, the worse they get. Card and Burks are shells of themselves.

Reactions: pboiler18
The funny thing is they showed a lot of potential early on. Its like the more time they get with the current staff, the worse they get. Card and Burks are shells of themselves.
Unfortunately, Walters is a defensive coach who sucks at that!
What happened to the once vaunted Purdue
air attack.

Walters may learn eventually how to become a great head coach. Hazell never did! Tony Dungy was a defensive minded head coach. He became successful when he had Payton Manning who was basically an offensive coordinator on the field. I’m not sure any college Qb could do what manning did. Saban is not an offensive minded coach but he ensured he had a genius offensive coordinator. In order for Walters to succeed as a head coach he is going to have to find an offensive coordinator who can take the reins and run with it.

I had thought the coach he hired was a good offensive minded coach. But it’s not happening. Maybe the problem is Card. Maybe it’s our offensive line! I do know if it’s the players, the problem is not going to be solved any time soon if your recruiting is focused on adding 20 billion defensive backs! If the problem is the players, Walters needs to shift some of his recruiting priorities to add some players with offensive abilities.

A possibility is to build a team like Iowa! They have no offense but they win games! A question to ask the casual fan and not the ones here is would they be happy if Purdue was no longer a pass happy team. And became a boring team like Iowa that would go 9-3 every year?

Ask yourself what is more important? Winning or having a pass happy offense? I know a lot of fans that would prefer winning.

Look at last year’s bowl games. Purdue was blown away. Iowa won in what was called the boringest bowl game ever. Ask an Iowa fan if he cared what the score was and he’ll tell you they won and that’s all that matters.

My point? Looking at this team and Coach Walters, I believe he could achieve success easier and faster if he followed the iowa approach rather than trying to build another air raid Purdue team.

Reactions: indyogb
Walters may learn eventually how to become a great head coach. Hazell never did! Tony Dungy was a defensive minded head coach. He became successful when he had Payton Manning who was basically an offensive coordinator on the field. I’m not sure any college Qb could do what manning did. Saban is not an offensive minded coach but he ensured he had a genius offensive coordinator. In order for Walters to succeed as a head coach he is going to have to find an offensive coordinator who can take the reins and run with it.

I had thought the coach he hired was a good offensive minded coach. But it’s not happening. Maybe the problem is Card. Maybe it’s our offensive line! I do know if it’s the players, the problem is not going to be solved any time soon if your recruiting is focused on adding 20 billion defensive backs! If the problem is the players, Walters needs to shift some of his recruiting priorities to add some players with offensive abilities.

A possibility is to build a team like Iowa! They have no offense but they win games! A question to ask the casual fan and not the ones here is would they be happy if Purdue was no longer a pass happy team. And became a boring team like Iowa that would go 9-3 every year?

Ask yourself what is more important? Winning or having a pass happy offense? I know a lot of fans that would prefer winning.

Look at last year’s bowl games. Purdue was blown away. Iowa won in what was called the boringest bowl game ever. Ask an Iowa fan if he cared what the score was and he’ll tell you they won and that’s all that matters.

My point? Looking at this team and Coach Walters, I believe he could achieve success easier and faster if he followed the iowa approach rather than trying to build another air raid Purdue team.
I believe a huge part of losing right now is our QB. If we had an even decent QB I think we would have won at least 2 more games and maybe more. Our defense is playing pretty well. Minus the OSU game.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
I believe a huge part of losing right now is our QB. If we had an even decent QB I think we would have won at least 2 more games and maybe more. Our defense is playing pretty well. Minus the OSU game.
This.

Cardinals is horrid. Its a damn shame too because it looks like he has an area and can run, he's just not able to put it together. That may be on the coaches. He started off decently this year. I thought he'd improve. Guess not.

Reactions: Kocher101
I don't read alot into this game. We were going to lose, it was just by how much. I do think some people are bringing up some good points on which direction that we should go in the future. We have had many great quarterbacks and offenses. I would hate to lose that direction since everyone else is going for mobile quarterbacks that can also run. Did you see the LSU/Bama game? amazing offenses. So my vote is we should be an offensive minded team.

I'm willing to give him time the rest of the year and next year if he shows progress.Right now we have another Hazell in the making.
Have you looked at the 2024 schedule. 7 Guaranteed losses before the first game is played.

The Boilermakers lost the Cheez-It Citrus Bowl 63-7 to LSU, playing a game with an interim head coach, a depleted coaching staff and without five of their best players, who see NFL in their future and would rather not risk jeopardizing it by playing one more time for their school.

Reactions: pboiler18 and z_one
Another glaring issue is Mock can’t stop fumbling.

And the kickers are not it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT