ADVERTISEMENT

Morton's Shooting

I think Joe (or what it Jon) Crispin must have been reading this thread when he was talking about Morton's lack of confidence and not shooting when left wide open.
I think Newman is starting to make a statement hitting some 3s, taking the ball to the rim, rebounding, quick hands, etc.
Crispin did a really good job last night, a ton of spot on comments.

Morton shot 44% from three last year according to Painter.
Last year was a pretty small sample size, though.

The encouraging thing, I think, is that when Morton does make a 3, it's usually a swish and goes in pretty clean...a good indication of proper ball rotation.

It'd be great if Morton could shoot shoot 40% from three, but close to ~35% would be acceptable, in my opinion.

Newman could be a good option to take more minutes at 3.
He was putting in effort to take the ball to the rim against Minnesota which is great. He had some offensive fouls that resulted in turnovers but he seems to be improving

Newman could be a good option to take more minutes at 3.
He was putting in effort to take the ball to the rim against Minnesota which is great. He had some offensive fouls that resulted in turnovers but he seems to be improving
And with Newman on the floor, it's pick your poison on who to leave open if you double Edey. Right now, every team is happy to have Morton jacking up open 3s. And when he doesn't take the open 3, that feeds right into what the D is trying to accomplish.
With Newman, he's not afraid to shoot, and we've seen him get hot from 3 but also willing to put the ball on the floor if they D closes out too hard.

And with Newman on the floor, it's pick your poison on who to leave open if you double Edey. Right now, every team is happy to have Morton jacking up open 3s. And when he doesn't take the open 3, that feeds right into what the D is trying to accomplish.
With Newman, he's not afraid to shoot, and we've seen him get hot from 3 but also willing to put the ball on the floor if they D closes out too hard.
What worries me about Newman is he seems to be more prone to turnovers/bad passes, and he really doesn't have much of a handle.

Basically, Morton is the "safer" choice with the higher floor, and Newman is a bit "riskier" but has the higher ceiling

Reactions: Boiler8285
What worries me about Newman is he seems to be more prone to turnovers/bad passes, and he really doesn't have much of a handle.

Basically, Morton is the "safer" choice with the higher floor, and Newman is a bit "riskier" but has the higher ceiling
Morton clearly should be ahead of Newman at this point. He is a much better passer and defender.

Newman looks really smooth, but he is high usage and low efficiency which isn’t a great combination to compliment players like Zach and Fletch. Morton has slightly higher efficiency and much lower usage, making him a much better fit with the starters.

Morton simply sees the floor, Newman is a whirlwind when he handles the ball and does not see the floor well. As Painter has said,he is mostly a catch and shoot or one dribble off a pass and shoot player on offense. His handle is not good and has not improved. But, he can fulfill a role shooting, defending big guards and rebounding. Morton would be more valuable making shots both at distance and shooting when he is open for a 10 footer across the lane ( which seems to happen a few times a game). Morton should get the most minutes, but some games if Newman is hot and doing the right things, Matt will leave him in.

Raise your hand if you are saying that Player X should replace Morton, and you also thought Wheeler should replace Eifert.

No one who thinks Morton should be replaced watches practices. Who thinks Purdue would be 17-1 and ranked #3 if Painter let you decide who plays?

what I'm saying is just because he has spasdic body movements and goes flying out of the picture, doesn't mean he's working any harder than a guy who's a better athlete. Do you think he works any harder than Eastern did on shutting down the other teams top scorer?
I think Morton tries as hard as he can with his limited athleticism. But I think every player tries as hard as they can.
Fair enough. We'll just have to disagree.
I have NO trouble seeing that the kid is working harder than most anyone on the floor.

Reactions: Inspector100
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT