ADVERTISEMENT

Morton's Shooting

Wasn't he a big time shooter/scorer in HS? I don't understand why his wide open 3s are not falling. - It would make a huge difference in games like today and others.
A lot of it is likely mental/psychological. As a shooter, when you're "hoping" it goes in, you're doomed.

That seems to be where Ethan's at right now. Hope he gets through it in time for the NCAA tournament.

Wasn't he a big time shooter/scorer in HS? I don't understand why his wide open 3s are not falling. - It would make a huge difference in games like today and others.
Like I said in the other thread....

Morton's D gives us a chance to win.
Morton's O gives the opponet a chance to win.

And not sure where his 8 A, 1 TO games went to???? His 3 assists today -- combined with his shooting makes him virtually useless on offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldboiler52
If I recall correctly, he was actually pretty abysmal shooting the ball during aau and has never really been known as a scorer.
Think you're correct on his final year of aau for 3pt
but thought was always regarded as a decent scorer albeit never a plus shooter from deep?

He's obviously struggling and does look uncomfortable when shooting this season but some ultra hot takes going around...makes you think back to some comments about Eifert, even Ray Davis (Ray Davis!!) or half dozen other players or Painter (e.g. "wouldn't even be a bench player for ANY other B1G teams" etc) so yeah, lolz on those extremes - regarding some of Painter's best "glue guys"

Cannot have a black whole offensively at that spot but do think he'll get it ironed out. Just needs a few back to back games with seeing a couple go through

Currently seem to have only 3 consistent scorers: Zach obviously; Loyer and Braden. Just about everyone else, you're just not sure of what exactly they're going to get offensively. Furst contributes regularly but he does not take many shots, so do agree w the takes that they need at least a semi-consistent scoring threat from a 4th spot if hopes for a very deep post season run are to happen

That said, and Newman has been in a bit of a funk at times lately too but maybe give him a few starts even if you lose some D and maybe even let Brandon get a bit of volume?

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
Gillis and Newman are both shooting around 40% overall and 30% from three compared to Morton’s 30% and 25%. I think some of Morton’s minutes need to shift to those two. I don’t see how we can continue being successful if he’s getting big minutes while his shooting numbers look like that. Having said that, Matt Painter knows way better than I do and the most important stat is W/L.

Last game Newman came in the second half, lost his man for a three, turnover, foul,lost his man for another three yanked the rest of the game. Today... Nothing. Who put pressure on Walker on that last airball...

Last edited:
I really like Newman, but he makes me nervous when he's dribbling.

Too bad we don't have Colvin on the roster now.

Morton is better than he is showing. Not saying he could be great offensively. He has zero confidence on offense.

Reactions: Bill4411
I think it is truly weird how every year we go through this process of attempting to find the worst starter, the guy we just have to put on the bench. I see it every year. The “Eifert Effect”. Some amateur coach decides that he knows more than coach Painter and starts this stuff. Can we let Morton alone? He must be effective in practice and be contributing exactly what Painter wants from him. Not everybody has to score for us to win.

I think it is truly weird how every year we go through this process of attempting to find the worst starter, the guy we just have to put on the bench. I see it every year. The “Eifert Effect”. Some amateur coach decides that he knows more than coach Painter and starts this stuff. Can we let Morton alone? He must be effective in practice and be contributing exactly what Painter wants from him. Not everybody has to score for us to win.
I don't want to question CMP, because he's great. We'll need Morton to score though or it may limit our deep run in the tourney. If not, we may have another bad exit.

I don't want to question CMP, because he's great. We'll need Morton to score though or it may limit our deep run in the tourney. If not, we may have another bad exit.
His defense is key to this team’s success. Right now I am willing to be patient with his shooting because he does many other things to contribute to winning.

His defense is key to this team’s success. Right now I am willing to be patient with his shooting because he does many other things to contribute to winning.
Oh, I don't disagree with his contributions. I also think he can limit our run in the tourney if he can't contribute on the offensive end as well

Reactions: DannyGranger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT