ADVERTISEMENT

More examples of the peacefulness of the BLM.

hunkgolden

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2004
Perhaps black males would stop getting shot by police if they:
1. Stopped committing crimes
2. Stopped having an attitude with police
3. Started cooperating with police
4. Stopped resisting arrest
5. Stopped fighting with police

We all get pulled over. Those of us who cooperate with police and answer their questions are on our way within 10-15 minutes.

When do black males start taking responsibility for their actions that is leading to these altercations with police?

BLM will lead to the election of Trump.

More stories like the one linked = the silent majority on the verge of not being so silent.

http://www.wthr.com/story/32425658/...ers-house-car-apparently-targeted-in-shooting

Perhaps black males would stop getting shot by police if they:
1. Stopped committing crimes
2. Stopped having an attitude with police
3. Started cooperating with police
4. Stopped resisting arrest
5. Stopped fighting with police

We all get pulled over. Those of us who cooperate with police and answer their questions are on our way within 10-15 minutes.

When do black males start taking responsibility for their actions that is leading to these altercations with police?

BLM will lead to the election of Trump.

More stories like the one linked = the silent majority on the verge of not being so silent.

http://www.wthr.com/story/32425658/...ers-house-car-apparently-targeted-in-shooting
Interesting.

The guy in Minnesota wasn't committing a crime. No evidence he had an attitude with police. Was cooperating. Wasn't resisting. Wasn't fighting. He's dead.

The guy in South Carolina at the gas station. No crime committed, no attitude, cooperated, wasn't arrested, didn't fight with police. He's dead.

Last time I checked though, the maximum punishment for resisting arrest wasn't death. Apparently I'm wrong.

So in your book, every person who is pulled over is pulled over for the right reasons, with an innocent well-meaning, racially unbiased cop who exercise correct judgment every single time, and thus the only reason anyone gets shot is because of 1-5?

And you seriously believe that?

I mean, if you are least made the, these bad cops are a tiny percentage and thus this isn't a real problem argument, at least that would have some semblance of logical thought put into it. But you don't appear to be trying to muster up even that little bit of common sense and logic.

But you are right, the guy in Minnesota should have taken responsibility for his busted tail light and having a flat nose and legally carrying a registered weapon. Serves him right.

The usual suspects in this and other threads trying to lump every one of these shootings into one bin, simply refusing to look deeper and accept that maybe there's more to the story with some of these than "black criminal resisted arrest." Certainly, that fits some of these shootings. It does not fit all of them, nor does anyone continuing to run around decrying the deaths of "innocent people" when discussing all of these cases.

We'd all be a lot better off if we could look at them individually, THEN see the trends. There is clearly a trend of violent crime by black men (especially on other black men) in parts of this country which is a problem. There is also clearly a trend of overzealous policing of black men which leads to violence on unarmed, non-violent people, some of whom are at worst misdemeanor offenders.

It is possible - even preferable - to be upset about BOTH problems, rather than feeling like you have to pick a side and close your mind to everything else. People don't deserve to die because they're high, because they're resisting arrest, or because they're DWB and legally armed. People ARE going to die when they attack police, point weapons at police, etc., because the police also have a right to defend themselves.

The usual suspects in this and other threads trying to lump every one of these shootings into one bin, simply refusing to look deeper and accept that maybe there's more to the story with some of these than "black criminal resisted arrest." Certainly, that fits some of these shootings. It does not fit all of them, nor does anyone continuing to run around decrying the deaths of "innocent people" when discussing all of these cases.

We'd all be a lot better off if we could look at them individually, THEN see the trends. There is clearly a trend of violent crime by black men (especially on other black men) in parts of this country which is a problem. There is also clearly a trend of overzealous policing of black men which leads to violence on unarmed, non-violent people, some of whom are at worst misdemeanor offenders.

It is possible - even preferable - to be upset about BOTH problems, rather than feeling like you have to pick a side and close your mind to everything else. People don't deserve to die because they're high, because they're resisting arrest, or because they're DWB and legally armed. People ARE going to die when they attack police, point weapons at police, etc., because the police also have a right to defend themselves.
Depends on what you mean by trend.

As I showed in the other thread, the overall trend of crime and the specific trend of violent crime is on a steady two decades long downward slope both nationally and in Chicago.

Certainly, there is a higher than anyone would like pattern of crime committed by/against AAs regardless of the overall downward trend. I'm assuming you are talking about that, but I'm talking about the downward trend because other folks, like Trump and many folks on this forum, actually believe crime is up.

The trend of police being killed? Also down, at it's lowest point since the 1800s.

Now, what I don't know and haven't looked at is...is the trend of shooting AA by police also down and we are just reporting about it more, or is it rising (or is all police shootings regardless of race rising)?

Hard to know because there aren't reliable statistics in that area.

But to your final point. Yes, it's quite easy to be upset at both. To want crime rates in AA to not be higher than other communities (again, I point out that crime across the board is down over the least two decades...white, black, brown, what have you), and to want police to not do some of these shootings.

I personally think part of the problem was the broken windows theory which led to heavy-handed policing vice community policing which was more targeted at making police a part of the community.

I think part of the problem is yes inherent bias/prejudice...as reflected in the fact that AA's are no more likely to use or posses drugs than Whites statistically yet they get searched for them more. There's no reason for that logically.

Regardless, you can be "upset" at both, and you can think both are a problem, and want both solved.

Not agreeing with you that there is "clearly a trend of overzealous policing of black men" (because far more white men were killed by police last year than black)...but let's say that there is. Why do you think it exists - if it does? And if you go with institutional racism - how would this begin at EVERY police precinct in the country and why would it still exist - even among black policeman?

Not agreeing with you that there is "clearly a trend of overzealous policing of black men" (because far more white men were killed by police last year than black)...but let's say that there is. Why do you think it exists - if it does? And if you go with institutional racism - how would this begin at EVERY police precinct in the country and why would it still exist - even among black policeman?
1. Black people are just as susceptible to implied bias as anyone else.
2. Institutional racism/bias by its very nature is something that permeates underneath.
3. More white people are killed numerically because there are more white people, but when you account for population size the rate is much higher for AA, then Hispanic, then White. Studies have been done on this. You won't believe them likely, but even when you control for crime patterns/discrepancies, there is still a remaining leftover effect that isn't accounted for with "black people are more criminal." The rates don't even match up.

Why does it exist? There are SEVERAL reasons why it exists. Not one simple reason like Black people are the problem, nor is it simply all cops are racists.

It may well not exist at every precinct, in fact, I'd guess it doesn't. But the fact is, there's a reason a legally armed black man gets shot five times by a panicked Hispanic officer when he was likely not a threat. There's a reason a man in South Carolina gets shot in the back after already being teased and while running away from the police. There's a reason another black man in South Carolina gets shot at a gas station for no apparent reason by a cop who arrived on the scene about three seconds prior. And there's a reason that LA had a history of some of the most racially uneven enforcement and police brutality that ran for nearly three decades. It's because racism exists. Perhaps not at the institutional level, but certainly at the personal level, and it exists amongst peace officers who are armed and are equally subject to conscious and subconscious fears of people who look certain ways as you and I are. And that's a problem.

As I showed in the other thread, the overall trend of crime and the specific trend of violent crime is on a steady two decades long downward slope both nationally and in Chicago.

Certainly, there is a higher than anyone would like pattern of crime committed by/against AAs regardless of the overall downward trend. I'm assuming you are talking about that, but I'm talking about the downward trend because other folks, like Trump and many folks on this forum, actually believe crime is up.

The trend of police being killed? Also down, at it's lowest point since the 1800s.

Now, what I don't know and haven't looked at is...is the trend of shooting AA by police also down and we are just reporting about it more, or is it rising (or is all police shootings regardless of race rising)?

But to your final point. Yes, it's quite easy to be upset at both. To want crime rates in AA to not be higher than other communities (again, I point out that crime across the board is down over the least two decades...white, black, brown, what have you), and to want police to not do some of these shootings.

I personally think part of the problem was the broken windows theory which led to heavy-handed policing vice community policing which was more targeted at making police a part of the community.

I think part of the problem is yes inherent bias/prejudice...as reflected in the fact that AA's are no more likely to use or posses drugs than Whites statistically yet they get searched for them more. There's no reason for that logically.

Regardless, you can be "upset" at both, and you can think both are a problem, and want both solved.
I said nothing of overall crime, nor of cops being killed. I was pretty specific about what I was talking about. Trend implies neither growing nor declining, simply that there is a common occurrence with common linkage. Had I meant "growing" or "declining" trend, I would've said so, but I do not think the rate of change matters as much right now as the existence of the problems. Perhaps that is a misguided view.

1. Black people are just as susceptible to implied bias as anyone else.
2. Institutional racism/bias by its very nature is something that permeates underneath.
3. More white people are killed numerically because there are more white people, but when you account for population size the rate is much higher for AA, then Hispanic, then White. Studies have been done on this. You won't believe them likely, but even when you control for crime patterns/discrepancies, there is still a remaining leftover effect that isn't accounted for with "black people are more criminal." The rates don't even match up.

Why does it exist? There are SEVERAL reasons why it exists. Not one simple reason like Black people are the problem, nor is it simply all cops are racists.
What is the implied bias that is found in virtually every police precinct in the country? That blacks are more likely to commit crimes than any other race of people? Most large cities have mostly black police departments and black police chiefs and yet the "bias" is seemingly worse now than it ever was.
It may well not exist at every precinct, in fact, I'd guess it doesn't. But the fact is, there's a reason a legally armed black man gets shot five times by a panicked Hispanic officer when he was likely not a threat. There's a reason a man in South Carolina gets shot in the back after already being teased and while running away from the police. There's a reason another black man in South Carolina gets shot at a gas station for no apparent reason by a cop who arrived on the scene about three seconds prior. And there's a reason that LA had a history of some of the most racially uneven enforcement and police brutality that ran for nearly three decades. It's because racism exists. Perhaps not at the institutional level, but certainly at the personal level, and it exists amongst peace officers who are armed and are equally subject to conscious and subconscious fears of people who look certain ways as you and I are. And that's a problem.
How do you know all of those examples of blacks getting shot by police haven't happened to whites or any other race as well? Just because the media doesn't report it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Put yourself in the shoes of the police - black, white, Hispanic, Asian, or whatever race you want to choose. You know based on statistics that black males are more prone to violence than any other group of people. You also know based on your personal experience that they have less respect for your occupation than other group of people. You are often patrolling in areas where these same young black men are killing each other at an astronomical rate. I could go on and on with what you know and what you have experienced. I think certain segments of our country are asking our civil servants to throw out everything they know and forget all of the personal experiences with this group of people. You are asking people to be robots and not human. Again, as I said in my opening statement - when do black males start taking some responsibility for the vast majority of these shootings? Stop committing crimes; stop defying police officers; start cooperating; stop having an attitude with police; start filling out applications to be a policeman to help clean up their neighborhoods; stop having babies out of wedlock; start respecting people who have made their career into helping make their community a safe place and not get paid very much for their efforts.

Reactions: boilersmitty
I said nothing of overall crime, nor of cops being killed. I was pretty specific about what I was talking about. Trend implies neither growing nor declining, simply that there is a common occurrence with common linkage. Had I meant "growing" or "declining" trend, I would've said so, but I do not think the rate of change matters as much right now as the existence of the problems. Perhaps that is a misguided view.
"Trend (n): a general direction of change : a way of behaving, proceeding, etc., that is developing and becoming more common."

Full Definition of trend
  1. 1 : a line of general direction or movement <the trend of the coast turned toward the west>

2. 2a : a prevailing tendency or inclination : drift <current trends in education>b : a general movement : swing <the trend toward suburban living>c : a current style or preference : vogue <new fashion trends>d : a line of development : approach <new trends in cancer research>

3. 3 : the general movement over time of a statistically detectable change; also : a statistical curve reflecting such a change

By definition a trend is either growing or declining. So yes, it does imply one or the other.

What is the implied bias that is found in virtually every police precinct in the country? That blacks are more likely to commit crimes than any other race of people? Most large cities have mostly black police departments and black police chiefs and yet the "bias" is seemingly worse now than it ever was.

How do you know all of those examples of blacks getting shot by police haven't happened to whites or any other race as well? Just because the media doesn't report it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Put yourself in the shoes of the police - black, white, Hispanic, Asian, or whatever race you want to choose. You know based on statistics that black males are more prone to violence than any other group of people. You also know based on your personal experience that they have less respect for your occupation than other group of people. You are often patrolling in areas where these same young black men are killing each other at an astronomical rate. I could go on and on with what you know and what you have experienced. I think certain segments of our country are asking our civil servants to throw out everything they know and forget all of the personal experiences with this group of people. You are asking people to be robots and not human. Again, as I said in my opening statement - when do black males start taking some responsibility for the vast majority of these shootings? Stop committing crimes; stop defying police officers; start cooperating; stop having an attitude with police; start filling out applications to be a policeman to help clean up their neighborhoods; stop having babies out of wedlock; start respecting people who have made their career into helping make their community a safe place and not get paid very much for their efforts.
lol

So, if a cop stops me and pulls me over, and I comply in every way, act respectfully, have committed no crimes, but he still shoots me, it's ok because I should have taken responsibility for the tiny minority of AA men who commit crimes.

just to add..
- Nationally there's been a minor uptick in crimes this years after 2+ decades of straight decline accross the country. Too early to know if it's a trend or just an anomaly
- in absolute numbers, crime rates, police officers being killed, homicides etc have been falling consistently since the early 90's high.
- adjusted for population increase, crimes are actually at record lows. Unbelievable but true.
- Up until last year, there was no good data on police involved shootings. The FBI/DOJ data is very incomplete and not very much useful. Two newspapers (Washington Post, and UK Guardian) kept much better records of police shootings last year. Their data >>> FBI data
- everywhere it has been studied, compared to whites blacks are searched more during stops (traffic or walking) but contraband (illegal guns, drugs, etc) are always found in higher rates on whites. This results holds everywhere where it has been studied (Detroit, detroit suburbs, Minneapolis, lily white suburbs, small towns in the middle of nowhere, state level, county level NYC)

just to add..
- Nationally there's been a minor uptick in crimes this years after 2+ decades of straight decline accross the country. Too early to know if it's a trend or just an anomaly
- in absolute numbers, crime rates, police officers being killed, homicides etc have been falling consistently since the early 90's high.
- adjusted for population increase, crimes are actually at record lows. Unbelievable but true.
- Up until last year, there was no good data on police involved shootings. The FBI/DOJ data is very incomplete and not very much useful. Two newspapers (Washington Post, and UK Guardian) kept much better records of police shootings last year. Their data >>> FBI data
- everywhere it has been studied, compared to whites blacks are searched more during stops (traffic or walking) but contraband (illegal guns, drugs, etc) are always found in higher rates on whites. This results holds everywhere where it has been studied (Detroit, detroit suburbs, Minneapolis, lily white suburbs, small towns in the middle of nowhere, state level, county level NYC)
That last bit can't be right because Hunk says that the problem is that blacks commit more crime (except they only commit more crime in some select categories, and those aren't the areas that generally are resulting in these police shootings but instead are tied to confrontations that start off with much more minor offenses).

Yep all of that is true, but somehow no credit is given. That's why the trend is actually important here. Black crime is DOWN. All crime is DOWN.

One year is definitely not a trend ;)

That last bit can't be right because Hunk says that the problem is that blacks commit more crime (except they only commit more crime in some select categories, and those aren't the areas that generally are resulting in these police shootings but instead are tied to confrontations that start off with much more minor offenses).

Yep all of that is true, but somehow no credit is given. That's why the trend is actually important here. Black crime is DOWN. All crime is DOWN.

One year is definitely not a trend ;)
Black crime is UP. Arrests are down because cops are now "taking the fetal position" when investigating black-on-black crime.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...hurt-in-weekend-shootings-20160711-story.html

Black crime is UP. Arrests are down because cops are now "taking the fetal position" when investigating black-on-black crime.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...hurt-in-weekend-shootings-20160711-story.html
You realize that:

1. Chicago's per capita crime rate isn't actually at the top
2. The US actually has more places than Chicago, including places with a lot of Black people?

But facts aren't important, what's important to Trumpites is that it feels right to say "Black crime is up" and Cops are "taking the fetal position."
For people who complain so often about "the race card" you sure as f do play it an awful lot.

You realize that:

2. The US actually has more places than Chicago, including places with a lot of Black people?

But facts aren't important, what's important to Trumpites is that it feels right to say "Black crime is up" and Cops are "taking the fetal position."
For people who complain so often about "the race card" you sure as f do play it an awful lot.
You're pretty funny to be talking about facts. You couldn't even find the correct Chicago violent crime rate. Get a life.

EDIT: if you google "chicago violent crime rate" google even tells you what it is!!! hahaha omg...

Last edited:
Reactions: boilersmitty
Interesting.

The guy in Minnesota wasn't committing a crime. No evidence he had an attitude with police. Was cooperating. Wasn't resisting. Wasn't fighting. He's dead.

The guy in South Carolina at the gas station. No crime committed, no attitude, cooperated, wasn't arrested, didn't fight with police. He's dead.

Last time I checked though, the maximum punishment for resisting arrest wasn't death. Apparently I'm wrong.

So in your book, every person who is pulled over is pulled over for the right reasons, with an innocent well-meaning, racially unbiased cop who exercise correct judgment every single time, and thus the only reason anyone gets shot is because of 1-5?

And you seriously believe that?

I mean, if you are least made the, these bad cops are a tiny percentage and thus this isn't a real problem argument, at least that would have some semblance of logical thought put into it. But you don't appear to be trying to muster up even that little bit of common sense and logic.

But you are right, the guy in Minnesota should have taken responsibility for his busted tail light and having a flat nose and legally carrying a registered weapon. Serves him right.

From your post you already know that we have over 900,000 law enforcement officers in our country on the streets 24/7 encountering millions of incidents annually. Over 100 officers lose their lives each year protecting us. Those extremely few situations like these will be investigated and people charged and given a fair trial. I refuse to join those who want to condemn all police, chant kill the pigs, etc.

This is a funny video but there is a lot of truth to it also.

From your post you already know that we have over 900,000 law enforcement officers in our country on the streets 24/7 encountering millions of incidents annually. Over 100 officers lose their lives each year protecting us. Those extremely few situations like these will be investigated and people charged and given a fair trial. I refuse to join those who want to condemn all police, chant kill the pigs, etc.

This is a funny video but there is a lot of truth to it also.

Awesome, you and the 99.9% of the rest of us are not condemning all police or chanting kill the pigs.

Except cops aren't usually being charged, and the rare times when they are charged, they are even more rarely being convicted. If cops were being charged, and convicted more than once in a blue moon, folks wouldn't be nearly as upset about it.

You realize that:

1. I am not a Trump supporter.
2. The "fetal postion" analogy was made by Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, not myself.
3. My past comments have concerned "the Hate card" that liberals play, not the "race card".

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/opinion/4676920-180/pd-editorial-lets-not-take

Awesome, you and the 99.9% of the rest of us are not condemning all police or chanting kill the pigs.

Except cops aren't usually being charged, and the rare times when they are charged, they are even more rarely being convicted. If cops were being charged, and convicted more than once in a blue moon, folks wouldn't be nearly as upset about it.
Please list all of the shootings where a policeman should've been charged and wasn't and those who stood trial and were found not guilty but shouldn't have been convicted. The media is often very quick to cover a police shooting and frame it as an unjustified shooting - getting all of the blm'ers rioting. In the vast majority of police shootings we learn (several weeks after the media has worked everyone up in a frenzy) new details that indicate the perp had a gun, resisted arrest, refused to cooperate, was on drugs, was a known violent criminal, and etc. Then intelligent people are able to conclude the shooting was justified. Is that the case in all police shootings? No. Again, please list all of the police actions shootings where the cop was clearly in the wrong and wasn't charged or found not guilty by a jury of his/her peers. There may be a handful over the past decade where a cop panicked and pulled the trigger. Unfortunately, that is going to happen when you have armed police interacting with violent criminals on a daily basis. It happens with people of all colors.

Perhaps it was not the best word choice, but I think you get the point now anyway. I'm not going to argue about it.
I wasn't "arguing" about it either. But you can't get upset at me because I took the plain meaning of your word. I'm still somewhat unsure of your point, and I do think the trend being downward is an important part of the conversation.

Please list all of the shootings where a policeman should've been charged and wasn't and those who stood trial and were found not guilty but shouldn't have been convicted. The media is often very quick to cover a police shooting and frame it as an unjustified shooting - getting all of the blm'ers rioting. In the vast majority of police shootings we learn (several weeks after the media has worked everyone up in a frenzy) new details that indicate the perp had a gun, resisted arrest, refused to cooperate, was on drugs, was a known violent criminal, and etc. Then intelligent people are able to conclude the shooting was justified. Is that the case in all police shootings? No. Again, please list all of the police actions shootings where the cop was clearly in the wrong and wasn't charged or found not guilty by a jury of his/her peers. There may be a handful over the past decade where a cop panicked and pulled the trigger. Unfortunately, that is going to happen when you have armed police interacting with violent criminals on a daily basis. It happens with people of all colors.
Are you actually disputing the rarity of police shootings ending up at trial and the ones that are ending up usually as acquittals?

Seriously?

Wow.

Again, if your argument was, they get acquitted because they usually don't do anything wrong, I wouldn't agree with that, but that would at least make some level of sense.

Are you actually disputing the rarity of police shootings ending up at trial and the ones that are ending up usually as acquittals?

Seriously?

Wow.

Again, if your argument was, they get acquitted because they usually don't do anything wrong, I wouldn't agree with that, but that would at least make some level of sense.
Hmmm...you didn't name a single one. As worked up as you are about this I figured you'd have a long, long list of universally agreed upon police action shootings that were unjustified. Interesting.

Hmmm...you didn't name a single one. As worked up as you are about this I figured you'd have a long, long list of universally agreed upon police action shootings that were unjustified. Interesting.
so because I "didn't name a single one" that must mean there isn't "a single one" right?
Because that's how that works.

It's a bit of a waste of time to go look up something that is except apparently for you more or less universally agreed on.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/freddie-gray/bs-md-ci-goodson-20160711-story.html
Not sure how he avoided all charges. The judge and cop were both black before anyone starts blaming white people...It wasn't a shooting, but it's pretty sad. Not sure how the prosecution couldn't come up with some evidence here.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/freddie-gray/bs-md-ci-goodson-20160711-story.html
Not sure how the prosecution couldn't come up with some evidence here.
Certainly not for lack of trying. Curious - how is it you've decided without a doubt a case where the police did something wrong? All 3 of the 6 police who have had their day in court have been acquitted of any wrong doing.

You're not helping your case if this is the best you can come up with. Again, you'd think you end keyboard dude would have long list of stories since you both seem to be so worked up over so-called unjustified police action shootings. Give us all a few obvious cases of where the police unjustly shot someone and walked free.

Just like all of the white cops talked about killing some black dudes at the white copy only meeting.
#notallwhitecops

When you find someone who says all white cops do ___ on here, you let me know...until then, I'm going to consider posts like these the gibberish that they are.

I'm still somewhat unsure of your point...
This:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT