ADVERTISEMENT

Last crack at Dickinson?

I remember the Tyger recruitment. Weren’t we in it and then he committed to DePaul and we said bye. But then he decommitted and we were in it again? And it looked good and then along came UCLA? What’s the possibility if he says Purdue is out that one of the other two Kalpbrenner or Carlson may change their minds?

I can’t see Kalkbrenner or Carlson changing their minds. They seem pretty level headed. We are moving on to 2021. Maybe a grad transfer after the season to add depth up front for a year.

Stranger things have happened. it always seems like the sure things and logical choices always go elsewhere, and the unexpected comes to Purdue. and lately those unexpected signees have been awesome.

what is more likely?

a transfer - or grad transfer for 1 year ? we've had mixed results

a juco ? we had bad results recently with ewing.

a bigman who is a mediocre/project?

recruiting another position? I'd love to add a really tall small forward

an obvious one and done so we can still recruit our planned 2021 recruits like Zaire Williams

waiting for a deccommit ?

or saying f it and give the scholarship to luce and essentially bank it for 2021 ?

what is more likely?

a transfer - or grad transfer for 1 year ? we've had mixed results

a juco ? we had bad results recently with ewing.

a bigman who is a mediocre/project?

recruiting another position? I'd love to add a really tall small forward

an obvious one and done so we can still recruit our planned 2021 recruits like Zaire Williams

waiting for a deccommit ?

or saying f it and give the scholarship to luce and essentially bank it for 2021 ?
1. Grad transfer seems like the best option right now if we want to fill the spot for next year.
2. No to a Juco.
3. No to a project big man as we already have Dow.
4. We aren't recruiting any small forwards for 2020.
5. We definitely aren't getting a one and done.
6. Could happen but unlikely.
7. This seems like the most likely scenario. 2021 is loaded in Indiana, and we need as many available scholarships as possible. Right now we project to have 3 (Proctor, EB, and the open scholarship).

Reactions: TX4GB
there was a thread a couple of months ago that listed the potential transfers and grad transfers. At this stage all the decent ones that could actually make a contribution are gone.

I saw some top 50 players still undecided and not really leaning to any school. I am reminded of Bowen. I kept asking why is a player so talented waiting so long and why hasn't painter made an offer. We received the answer to that question shortly there after.

I am led to wonder, are athletes still expecting to be paid illegally?

A really bizarre idea ??? Can we give the scholarship to Carr, and allow brohm to use that scholarship on a lineman or linebacker? while allowing Carr to still play football and basketball? . Painter has already said he'd welcome him to play basketball.

there was a thread a couple of months ago that listed the potential transfers and grad transfers. At this stage all the decent ones that could actually make a contribution are gone.

I saw some top 50 players still undecided and not really leaning to any school. I am reminded of Bowen. I kept asking why is a player so talented waiting so long and why hasn't painter made an offer. We received the answer to that question shortly there after.

I am led to wonder, are athletes still expecting to be paid illegally?

A really bizarre idea ??? Can we give the scholarship to Carr, and allow brohm to use that scholarship on a lineman or linebacker? while allowing Carr to still play football and basketball? . Painter has already said he'd welcome him to play basketball.
Why would you tie up a basketball scholarship for a player that is going to be primarily a football player?

The transfers and grad transfers list will look completely different come April. It's possible we look to one of those for next season, but I don't think it's guaranteed. Painter has shown a willingness not to fill up all 13 scholarships, and I think that's fine. You can't play 13 players.

As has been covered before, the scholarship is always going to count against the football program in such a situation

why would it count against the football program ?

Now bear with me. Painter always seems to have an extra scholarship almost every year that he banks. and brohm always seems to give out more scholarships than he has to offer. brohm gave out two 2020 scholarships to those two linebackers of the 2019 class. So why not have painter give out his basketball scholarship to Carr and then allow Carr to be a walk-on with the football team? Didn't we have a PF who was a bust at basketball join the football team several years ago?

As crazy as it seems, with Brohm's knowledge of how to find loopholes in the scholarship system, and Painter's reluctance to ever use all 13 of his scholarships, I believe it could work. So what if he doesn't play a minute of basketball. I'm sure Purdue basketball plays in enough blow out games, we could find a couple of minutes for him to justify the scholarship. We've had a lot of football players doing track as a walk on. Why not have the opposite ?

Just because the idea sounds crazy, doesn't mean it's bad or violates any NCAA rules. to me it's better than the usual - banking the scholarship.

why would it count against the football program ?

Now bear with me. Painter always seems to have an extra scholarship almost every year that he banks. and brohm always seems to give out more scholarships than he has to offer. brohm gave out two 2020 scholarships to those two linebackers of the 2019 class. So why not have painter give out his basketball scholarship to Carr and then allow Carr to be a walk-on with the football team? Didn't we have a PF who was a bust at basketball join the football team several years ago?

As crazy as it seems, with Brohm's knowledge of how to find loopholes in the scholarship system, and Painter's reluctance to ever use all 13 of his scholarships, I believe it could work. So what if he doesn't play a minute of basketball. I'm sure Purdue basketball plays in enough blow out games, we could find a couple of minutes for him to justify the scholarship. We've had a lot of football players doing track as a walk on. Why not have the opposite ?

Just because the idea sounds crazy, doesn't mean it's bad or violates any NCAA rules. to me it's better than the usual - banking the scholarship.

Because the NCAA revised its financial aid rules, Wole, to create a hierarchy, thus eliminating the very practice you're suggesting. In the past schools took advantage of this and used scholarships from other sports where a multi-sport athlete competed, primarily to save football/basketball scholarships.

So, if a male athlete competes in football and any other sport, the scholarship counts toward football......if its basketball and any other sport (other than football), the scholarship counts against the basketball limit.

In women's sports I believe the hierarchy is basketball, then volleyball, and I think field hockey....but that may not be accurate.

Because the NCAA revised its financial aid rules, Wole, to create a hierarchy, thus eliminating the very practice you're suggesting. In the past schools took advantage of this and used scholarships from other sports where a multi-sport athlete competed, primarily to save football/basketball scholarships.

So, if a male athlete competes in football and any other sport, the scholarship counts toward football......if its basketball and any other sport (other than football), the scholarship counts against the basketball limit.

In women's sports I believe the hierarchy is basketball, then volleyball, and I think field hockey....but that may not be accurate.

ok, it seemed like a great idea.

I really hope he chooses Duke. So I can watch him get recruited over. I hope the kid has a great life I wish nothing but the best for him in life. But I don't have to wish him a good basketball career. It's just Crazy going from being the favorites To Totally Out of it. Matt painter's Is still one of the best coaches With Out a doubt. A lot of good players right here in Indiana for next year's recruiting class.

I really hope he chooses Duke. So I can watch him get recruited over. I hope the kid has a great life I wish nothing but the best for him in life. But I don't have to wish him a good basketball career. It's just Crazy going from being the favorites To Totally Out of it. Matt painter's Is still one of the best coaches With Out a doubt. A lot of good players right here in Indiana for next year's recruiting class.
I actually hope he attends Notre Dame because they were his early lean. He would fit Brey very well and I don't wish him any harm because CMP will be just fine

Streak of 7 footers may end after Haarms but we will adjust. It might be better to move to a quicker style of play (Dow) and get more rebounder types like Biggie and Tre. Haarms is pretty unique to be mobile at his height.

I don't wish him any harm I just Don't care If he has a good basketball career. I wish him the best life possible

Doesn’t Michigan have a new coach? I could see him selling him that he would be the centerpiece of his new team and that we will build the team around him!

giphy.gif

Reactions: SKYDOG and Schnelk
You know it's people like you that start these 10 page arguments when you do stuff like this. I just asked a simple question. And yes I joined yesterday. Like I said before I've been working 7 days a week through the summer I have not Ben onthis board in quite some time so I forgot Everything and had to make a new profile. I'm a grown adult I'm not going to get on this board just To start trouble. Again it was just a question
Try not to get too upset with this...I believe he and mathboy start this crap with all newcomers to the board!

any rumors that Chet , Furst or somebody else may decide to reclassify from the class of 2021 to the class of 2020 and be a late signee?

Reactions: PU52Chevy
Other then etwaun and jujaun we've landed a grand total of 1 top 50 recruits(biggie). I usually just assume we're not going to land any of those guys, though I do support painter still going after them. It is what it is i guess. Painter has improved quite a bit as a coach over the years and has figured out how to maximize less talented players to create teams that can compete with anyone.

I been saying he should just offer a top 50 guy a scholarship and then move on Don't spend any time recruiting him. Top 50 guys and purdue does not Go together. I'm fine with the players From 60 on up. We should have put all Of our chips In the other 7 footer Not this one. He was better anyway

Dickinson wanted to play right away...that wasn't going to happen with Haarms and Dow in the mix...…

Only way I see it hurting us is if Haarms goes pro after this year....

I think Eastern is going pro after this year, so that will open up spot but we are loaded at guard with Ivey and Morton coming into the mix and Thompson, Hunter and Sasha already on board with experience.

Go after the big men studs in next class and awesome talent in Indiana next year with 5/6 scholarships (Luce, Proctor, Boudreux and carry over scholarship, possibly 5/6 if Eastern and/or Haarms leave early).

IMO I do not think both Haarms Eastern leave early but I do think one of them goes and IMO I think it is Eastern.

I think Painter signs K. Walton and adds to the mix Maliq Carr from the football team and that will leave 3 scholarships open for next year (Luce, Boudreux and Proctor...with another coming open if Haarms or Eastern leave early).

2021 class should be focused on the 4 and 5 spot.

Boiler Up!

Al good stuff.....Boiler Up!

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerAndy
Dickinson wanted to play right away...that wasn't going to happen with Harms and Dow in the mix...…

Go after the studs in next class and in Indiana next year......
I don't think he would have had a problem playing anywhere but Duke

DOW Is a project HD Definitely woulda played ahead of him. Playing time Was a issue Duke would not be In his final 4. I seriously think if he chooses Duke it will be a mistake for this kid. His style of play is eighties and nineties basketball Duke style is not that.

Dickinson wanted to play right away...that wasn't going to happen with Haarms and Dow in the mix...…

Only way I see it hurting us is if Haarms goes pro after this year....

I think Eastern is going pro after this year, so that will open up spot but we are loaded at guard with Ivey and Morton coming into the mix and Thompson, Hunter and Sasha already on board with experience.

Go after the big men studs in next class and awesome talent in Indiana next year with 4 scholarships (Eastern, Proctor, Boudreux and carry over scholarship).

Al good stuff.....Boiler Up!

I think that’s exactly right on HD, if he’s a 2021 prospect we have a much better chance.

On Nojel leaving early, I just hope that if it happens it’s because he’s had a breakout year and is a top 15 type pick. If not he’s still young and improving, no need to stretch if he’s a borderline first round pick.

DOW Is a project HD Definitely woulda played ahead of him. Playing time Was a issue Duke would not be In his final 4. I seriously think if he chooses Duke it will be a mistake for this kid. His style of play is eighties and nineties basketball Duke style is not that.

Playing time was THE issue for HD with Purdue. Duke is in a different league than his other finalists, he’d start from day one at UM or ND.

I think that’s exactly right on HD, if he’s a 2021 prospect we have a much better chance.

On Nojel leaving early, I just hope that if it happens it’s because he’s had a breakout year and is a top 15 type pick. If not he’s still young and improving, no need to stretch if he’s a borderline first round pick.
Break out year or not Nojel will make the best decision for him even tho I believe he is gonna be a force and a problem to deal with this season. All that’s on his mind is Big Ten championship and national championship that’s been his focus since he got back on campus in June. Physically he looks great his confidence is we’re it needs to be and he’s knocking down open shots so he ready to take this team and program to a place it’s not been in a long time and I can assure you he gonna do whatever it takes to get there he said he has unfinished business to take care off and he’s locked in mentally ready to lead his troops to that finish line.

I still wish we had gone harder after Carlson instead of Hunter. I believe we likely lost out on Carlson because he wasn’t our number one priority. I could be wrong, who knows. With the two great recruits we did get; it’s just a shame we didn’t get a third one. I think Hunter will pick Duke. He seems so thrilled with a blue blood offer. Notre Dame is probably his best fit. FSU would be a disaster. Michigan is too much of an unknown I think to go there. I don’t wish any ill will towards the kid but I am not a fan of his and knew things were going to turn out like they did just reading one of his interviews about 6 months ago.

I still wish we had gone harder after Carlson instead of Hunter. I believe we likely lost out on Carlson because he wasn’t our number one priority. I could be wrong, who knows. With the two great recruits we did get; it’s just a shame we didn’t get a third one. I think Hunter will pick Duke. He seems so thrilled with a blue blood offer. Notre Dame is probably his best fit. FSU would be a disaster. Michigan is too much of an unknown I think to go there. I don’t wish any ill will towards the kid but I am not a fan of his and knew things were going to turn out like they did just reading one of his interviews about 6 months ago.
Sometimes in recruiting it’s hit or miss. Many times kids get caught in the name of the school and status of the coach rather than the school that best suits his actual needs and opportunity. I’ve seen it time and time again and you look up that kid the school the picked bcuz of those reasons often time end up not playing but being a statue on the bench than a year or 2 later he transferred. Marquees bolden Derrick Thornton and a guard all left duke all was 5star All American but they chose duke for all the things I named 2 are at different schools now the other left bcuz he was being recruited over every year so he decided I’m going PRO. Kentucky Kansas North Carolina all do it too maybe those players will soon learn it’s not were u go it’s what u do when u get there if your chasing the NBA. If you can play I no for a FACT the NBA will find you. Wish the kid all the best I just hope he makes the right decision based on opportunity and not based on fame and name

I think Painter signs K. Walton

Kerwin Walton from Minnesota? He is visiting UNC in late October and Arizona is in the mix. I know we heard his name last year but that was before we signed Ivey and Morton.

Reactions: Schnelk
Sometimes in recruiting it’s hit or miss. Many times kids get caught in the name of the school and status of the coach rather than the school that best suits his actual needs and opportunity. I’ve seen it time and time again and you look up that kid the school the picked bcuz of those reasons often time end up not playing but being a statue on the bench than a year or 2 later he transferred. Marquees bolden Derrick Thornton and a guard all left duke all was 5star All American but they chose duke for all the things I named 2 are at different schools now the other left bcuz he was being recruited over every year so he decided I’m going PRO. Kentucky Kansas North Carolina all do it too maybe those players will soon learn it’s not were u go it’s what u do when u get there if your chasing the NBA. If you can play I no for a FACT the NBA will find you. Wish the kid all the best I just hope he makes the right decision based on opportunity and not based on fame and name

Treed - just curious to the background of Nojel's recruitment (I apologize if you have shared it before). With 10+ offers, how did Jelly narrow down his list? What made him ultimately pick Painter/Purdue? Thanks in advance!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT