ADVERTISEMENT

Lance Jones

I do believe that CMP has significant influence over how the alliance doles out NIL. And I don't think we're bidding for or paying up front for any high profile transfers. Once on the roster, the alliance will set current players up with NIL opportunities. Btw, this is exactly by the book for NIL. This is my belief. You are free to believe that the alliance is going to throw a bag of money to entice a top end transfer. Nothing wrong with looking under your pillow for money when you lose a tooth either.
Can you imagine the problems "IF" a coach didn't have control or significant influence...who would be coaching and determining playing time...

I think we did great to land him. People calling for a 5 star player should consider what we have. Braden Smith is locked in at the #1 to get a 5* to come in and set behind him is not realistic. Why would a 5* transfer? Someone on here wanted Caleb Love he was nothing but trouble at NC few wanted him same with Sky Clark at Illinois. We still have the National Player of the Year. And until he leaves, we will continue to throw him the ball. Jones is a PG not a combo. Myles Colvin was just on national TV throwing down insane dunks and is a top 50 recruit. Who would want to come here and compete with him for PT? Those clamoring for a shooter well we have Myles coming in kid can bury the ball from deep. For any player to come to a top 5 team and expect to unseat a returning starter come on now. The two freshmen starters played well enough to have us ranked #1 for 7 weeks who wants to challenge them as sophomores? There is a reason we won the B10 championship and tourney along with the #1 ranking and these players know it. Think about it #1 with two freshman guards who does that? What transfer would cause Painter to change and not throw the ball to Zach? It's not always good to be good and Purdue is great.
Max Abmas, Jameer Nelson and Khalif Battle were all available options that could have made a significant difference

l guess I'm skeptical. Seems athletic, which is good. But I see some red flags:

1. Pedestrian shooting percentage.
2. Below average at the foul line.
3. More turnovers than assists three years in a row.

I guess we'll see. I don't necessarily see a game changer here. But maybe some quality depth at a position where Purdue is thin.
Do you see now?
LAMO

Fair enough! I accept my crow.

In my defense my post is at least a year old--before Lance played a single game at Purdue

He's the man now, and will always be remembered as a Final Four great.
All in good fun!

I think I even questioned his pick up.

Reactions: rgarlitz
I'm an IU fan so I have little incentive to pump him up but I really like Jones. I saw him play in high school at Evanston (same school as Nojel) a number of times and always thought he was the toughest, most competitive kid on the floor. It's easy to talk about the things he can't do, but imo you're going to like him because he's a guy that impacts winning on both ends of the court. In that way he reminds me a bit of Ken Lowe.
Hmmm… the most accurate comment was from an IU fan…

To be fair, typeviic's first paragraph was correct as Jones was not a high profile transfer. I would also add that no one here knew how dynamic and good he would when he committed. A few hoped he was be a defensive gem. I don't think anyone saw him leading our guards in scoring in a FF game.

It is fun to tease bad takes though, so I get it. All in fun.

What’s odd to me is how much fans focus solely on stats and ignore things like fit and culture. Paint has known Jones’ previous coach for a long time so he knew what he was getting from a locker room presence.

We lost to FDU in large part because the team was tight and couldn’t enjoy being in the moment. Jones has been transformative in this regard and his teammates have mentioned it countless times.

The shots he hits are huge. As is the D he plays. But the joy he plays with is infectious and that’s been his biggest contribution to this team.

All in good fun!!
Man, you’re a better sport than me. I want posters who pounded the points of ‘Painter will never’ and ‘a team built around a traditional post can’t’ to admit that either 1) they don’t know WTF they are talking about and couldn’t see that because something hasn’t happened doesn’t mean it can’t or 2) they were just trolling to make themselves feel better.

I am all for different viewpoints and healthy discussion, there’s some real hyperbolic bullshit that’s gone on here though.

The dude who helped us get to the title game.
His box score in the title game, against athletic wings:

23 mins/5 points/3 boards/0 assists/1 turnover

Love Jones after having him a year, but we have needed (and clearly still need) guards who can bang against the UConn-type wings for 3+ years now.

Reactions: seminolesboilers

Love Jones after having him a year, but we have needed (and clearly still need) guards who can bang against the UConn-type wings for 3+ years now.
Lol and without him we don’t make the final four.

If we don’t have him, we lose to UT because he doesn’t hit that huge 3 to give us a cushion.

In the F4, he hit big 3s and we probably lose that game or it’s a lot closer.

He was our best in ball defender and not afraid to shoot (whether it was good or bad)

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Lol and without him we don’t make the final four.

If we don’t have him, we lose to UT because he doesn’t hit that huge 3 to give us a cushion.

In the F4, he hit big 3s and we probably lose that game or it’s a lot closer.

He was our best in ball defender and not afraid to shoot (whether it was good or bad)
Don't get me wrong, he was my favorite of our wings by far - but that is really grading on a curve. Obviously he is a huge fan favorite for a good reason as well, one of my favorite personalities for us since Cardinal.

Don't get me wrong, he was my favorite of our wings by far - but that is really grading on a curve. Obviously he is a huge fan favorite for a good reason as well, one of my favorite personalities for us since Cardinal.
Who were the last guards/wings that could have competed? The 2008-09 team with Etwaun, Keaton, Kramer, LewJack and of course Hummel?

Or maybe (I’m not sure on this) the 2017-18 with Vince, Mathias, Eastern, Cline and Carsen?

Reactions: Schnelk

Note that I posted this after the semi final game where he had 14 pts. You seemingly skipped over that one.

Lance faded badly late in the season. Dont' know if he was hurt or worn down but he just wasnt the same player the last 10? games or so.
I still love him for coming here and doing what he did to make this team the best it could be.
he did that.

Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT