ADVERTISEMENT

Lance Jones

My only concern is I see all of the other top 10 teams going out and recruiting the best portal players available. Love signed with Michigan. Cryer signed with Houston. Dickinson has already named his new top 5 he is considering. I do not see any of the top portal players mentioning Purdue. And I don’t see Purdue even making offers to any of the top portal players. All I see is Purdue going after more role players and to improve their bench depth. I don’t see Purdue going after any players who might actually compete for or come to Purdue to be a starter. Purdue basketball is much different than Purdue football. Painter is looking for players to complement his existing team. Purdue football looks to the portal to acquire starters. Look at QB Card. He didn’t come to Purdue to back up Allen. He came to Purdue to start. Rather than looking for someone to back up Loyer and Smith, I believe Painter should be recruiting players who are better and can beat them out and make Smith and Loyer the back up players. Think of how awesome Purdue could be if Painter landed portal players who were actually better than the players we already have! Did Purdue even reach out to players like Dickinson, Cryer or Love, or did we just assume they would be a bad fit or not want to be backups? Admittedly we’d be a different team if any of those three came to Purdue. Changes would have to be made to accommodate their style and talents . Would that be a bad thing? I often wonder why Painter recruits so few top 50 players. I also wonder why so few top 50 players consider Purdue. As I look at the top 50 players, I see less than 10 players that even include Purdue as one of their top 5 choices. Just think what Painter could do if he recruited and signed the talent other teams signed. He was one of the first to recruit Gonzaga’s Holgram and Michigan’s Dickinson and several of IU’s players. And the player from Kokomo. And then he seems to back out of the recruitment when the big boys express interest.
I thought you were GONE? Better place without your inane comments. Purdue doesn't need a lot and has a pretty good group counting redshirts and freshmen. Most coaches can only dream of having Purdue's line up.

As others have mentioned I like that he can get down hill and score at the rim off the dribble and was his conferences DPOY.

People are focusing on the bad 3pt%, but if this team had another guard to help Smith attack pressure off the bounce AND have the ability to keep his man in front of him and out of the paint FDU would have never happened even with the 3-26 shooting. I also like his team went 24-10 last year and he only has 1 year of eligibility that won't hurt the '24 scholarship numbers.

Sure, add one more guard that can hopefully be a deep threat, but this team needed a vetran PG with a little dog in him to compliment Smith and hopefully this guy can be just that.
He was not the DPOY - was on the all-def 1st team. I just checked. Malevy from Bradley was DPOY

I think we did great to land him. People calling for a 5 star player should consider what we have. Braden Smith is locked in at the #1 to get a 5* to come in and set behind him is not realistic. Why would a 5* transfer? Someone on here wanted Caleb Love he was nothing but trouble at NC few wanted him same with Sky Clark at Illinois. We still have the National Player of the Year. And until he leaves, we will continue to throw him the ball. Jones is a PG not a combo. Myles Colvin was just on national TV throwing down insane dunks and is a top 50 recruit. Who would want to come here and compete with him for PT? Those clamoring for a shooter well we have Myles coming in kid can bury the ball from deep. For any player to come to a top 5 team and expect to unseat a returning starter come on now. The two freshmen starters played well enough to have us ranked #1 for 7 weeks who wants to challenge them as sophomores? There is a reason we won the B10 championship and tourney along with the #1 ranking and these players know it. Think about it #1 with two freshman guards who does that? What transfer would cause Painter to change and not throw the ball to Zach? It's not always good to be good and Purdue is great.
THIS!!!!

You do realize that Purdue has nothing to do with NIL right? It’s the boosters that make NIL deals. There is nothing stopping you from offering Cryer a million dollars to come to Purdue. Seems like you’d rather just do nothing and complain (wrongly) that this is somehow Painter’s fault for not using NIL. It’s not Purdue that’s not playing in the sandbox, it’s you that’s not playing in the sandbox.
I do believe that CMP has significant influence over how the alliance doles out NIL. And I don't think we're bidding for or paying up front for any high profile transfers. Once on the roster, the alliance will set current players up with NIL opportunities. Btw, this is exactly by the book for NIL. This is my belief. You are free to believe that the alliance is going to throw a bag of money to entice a top end transfer. Nothing wrong with looking under your pillow for money when you lose a tooth either.

Not meant to be an excuse for anything. We should be a top 4 seed again next year with or without Edey. We won't land a high profile transfer because we choose not to play in that sandbox. I believe that based on historical precedent and current activity.
"We won't land a high profile transfer because we choose not to play in that sandbox."

Then we will continue to not make a FF.

They have the secret to reaching a number one ranking, receiving a one seed in the tourney, winning the big ten by three games and winning the conference tournament.

To answer your question, making shots isn’t a secret.

I'll take that as a probably not

What good would donating do if we "aren't playing in that sandbox"?
DUH! we can't compete without funds. Damn, that's pretty simple. I don't see our choice based on desire as on funds. See Miami's funds ... and Houston's. Everyone wants to, few can. It's "Who wants to buy and own a college team?"

DUH! we can't compete without funds. Damn, that's pretty simple. I don't see our choice based on desire as on funds. See Miami's funds ... and Houston's. Everyone wants to, few can. It's "Who wants to buy and own a college team?"
Yes, and you too, can buy a championship basketball team. Just be a millionaire obsessed with your college’s sports.
:cool:

Not meant to be an excuse for anything. We should be a top 4 seed again next year with or without Edey. We won't land a high profile transfer because we choose not to play in that sandbox. I believe that based on historical precedent and current activity.
What Sandbox? NIL? So, is Painter’s philosophy that he won’t get upgraded talent in the portal because he doesn’t like NIL?
That’s as stubborn as sticking to man defense when your guards can’t stay in front of anyone.

Reactions: titaniumbolt
If you don't have the funds you aren't "choosing".

No, our defense was not fine. Come crunch time we could not stop anyone.
And for most of the season we had 1 of the most efficient offenses in the country.
Offensive Efficiency is a useless stat. Purdue is usually high in OE because we run the O through the post and have long half court possessions.

Reactions: titaniumbolt
Do you know how much is in the NIL fund?

From what I heard, Love was a bit of locker room poison at UNC. I don’t know it for a fact. Frankly, I see no reason an alpha guard wouldn’t fit at Purdue. I think we got one coming in next year.
Maybe he was, maybe he wasn’t, don’t know unless we know someone who was in the locker room. But, love is a stud, would have been the top scorer day 1 at Purdue.

Statistically
I honestly think that Purdue has good outside shooters and I believe that the numbers will be better this year, especially with Loyer. It will be a point of emphasis in the off-season and the guys will show up ready next year. The ability is there.

Purdue needed another point guard with quickness and some physicality more and I think Jones will provide that.,
Statistically, we don’t have good outside shooters.
It’s like a guy who can hit 300 yard drives on the range but can’t find the fairway when he’s actually playing a round.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Purdue has a lot more coming back than the teams you mentioned. Purdue is just fine with what they have and the new guys coming in.
Wow…settle much? Did you also think we were fine at the G position with IT and Hunter?

I don't think Matt brought him in for 3 point shooting, but more for ball handling and driving to the hoop. Also, for experience. Primarily, need a perimeter defender against quicker teams. My guess is Matt is very comfortable with the skill set for what team needs are. I think he is also comfortable with the guys coming in (Heide and Colvin) and getting anyone but a 5th year Sr. would probably be tinkering too much with what he is trying to build through recruiting. I think he is expecting Smith and Fletcher to make a jump...which I think they will. Fletcher just needs to get stronger as I think he had nothing in the tank after the brutal big ten season where he was knocked down constantly.

Where does the Idea that the Purdue alliance doesn't have any money come from? Anyone have facts about this? I really doubt that this is true. We at least have the $ 21,000 we were paying Brandon Newman.

Why would an alpha scoring guard with a similar skill set to Ivey and started on a Final Four team not fit at Purdue?
He just doesn’t, he was a major reason UNC wasn’t good last year. No doubt, he had an excellent NCAA tournament a few yrs ago. Guys like Cryer would have worked, not Love. Also, his skill set isn’t Ivey’s, if it were he wouldn’t be spending a 4th year on a college campus. I enjoy lots of your posts, on this one I think you miss the mark a bit.

Where does the Idea that the Purdue alliance doesn't have any money come from? Anyone have facts about this? I really doubt that this is true. We at least have the $ 21,000 we were paying Brandon Newman.
I saw where Edey got over $800,000 this year in NIL. That isn't chicken feed. He was listed as one of the top ten basketball players receiving NIL in the country.

I don't understand that either. Purdue MBB is apparently going to get 75-100k for each scholarship player from the Alliance.

Not a bad baseline

Edit: starting in the 23-24 season

Watched some video of Jones, 6 minute high light, games against Ok State and Drake. Jones is a shoot first, attempt to score first guard. He is not a PG. SIU ran a keep the paint open offense. Nearly all of his scores at the rim were due to having a large open area. He has little to no mid-range scoring or a jumper off the dribble. 95% of scoring is either a 3 or lay in. Outside shots are mostly spot up 3’s.

Saw one video clip where he was doubled on an inbound pass against the press and he promptly threw a turnover pass. Did not see any other against the press.

Ball handling on par with Jenkins. Did not see anything spectacular. Same with defense. Nothing outstanding.

Question how his game fits into Painters throw it into Edey or TKR offense. The paint won’t be open with either of them camping out. Jones only averaged about 2 assists per 35 minutes. Wonder how much patience Painter will have with missed 30 ft 3 pt shots.

Statistically

Statistically, we don’t have good outside shooters.
It’s like a guy who can hit 300 yard drives on the range but can’t find the fairway when he’s actually playing a round.
This is true. You are what your record says you are. Our record says we’re not a good 3 point shooting team.

Reactions: Bippus33
I'm an IU fan so I have little incentive to pump him up but I really like Jones. I saw him play in high school at Evanston (same school as Nojel) a number of times and always thought he was the toughest, most competitive kid on the floor. It's easy to talk about the things he can't do, but imo you're going to like him because he's a guy that impacts winning on both ends of the court. In that way he reminds me a bit of Ken Lowe.

I'm an IU fan so I have little incentive to pump him up but I really like Jones. I saw him play in high school at Evanston (same school as Nojel) a number of times and always thought he was the toughest, most competitive kid on the floor. It's easy to talk about the things he can't do, but imo you're going to like him because he's a guy that impacts winning on both ends of the court. In that way he reminds me a bit of Ken Lowe.
He does have an endorsement from Nojel, so we know he can shoot that thang.

Our “system” always produces against B10 team, but that seems to be the major problem; can’t produce when it matters in March.
Honestly, you could say that about every B1G team. This seems to be a conference issue and not just a Purdue problem.

Reactions: Dryfly88
I took some time this morning to watch some video of him:

1. He is very aggressive on D and looks to be able to stay in front of his man very well. Will that translate up a level? I think it will. Quick is quick.

2. He takes a lot of very long 3's, like logo 3's. Not just when the shot clock was running down but with plenty of time still on the clock. That will change for sure at PU. I'm hopeful that will bring his 3% back to a number that really could help us.

3. Seems to have pretty good handles and doesn't mind driving and taking contact at the rim. If we can have some better shooting and spread the floor he may be able to take advantage and get to the rim. I didn't see any video of him "breaking a press" but from what I saw with his quickness and ball handling I don't think he could do anything but help us there.

4. Plays with enthusiasm and fire. Mackey will love that and I'm sure he will love them back.

I've been pretty clear what I was hoping we would get. This wasn't the pick up I was hoping for. But I'm hopeful that our hold-overs will take a step up in their play and Jones can help in areas that we need him to. Someone else had mentioned his D in practice helping Braden. I agree with that for sure. He looks to really enjoy playing defense.

I'll take another Kenny Lowe, thank you.

Reactions: Bippus33
I'll take another Kenny Lowe, thank you.
Where is the Chris Booker (without fluking Porteguese) post player?

Where is the Brandon McKnight point guard or the David Teague

shooting gurad? That 2004 team started out hot before Booker

fluked that class. They beat Duke in the Great Alaska Shootout

handily. Had Booker taken Spanish, Keady would have his Final Four

in 2004. Painter may not be Purdue's coach today either.

One player fluking one class sure can take destiny in a whole different

direction. Oh well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT