ADVERTISEMENT

Lance Jones

Absolutely terrible.
Only 6-1 190 with no experience at PG
Bad 3 point % below 30%

Only positive I'd say is that he can go to the basket and looks good defensively.

But there were so many better options.

Probably the best thing about him is that he'll accept a small role on the bench meekly

Absolutely terrible.
Only 6-1 190 with no experience at PG
Bad 3 point % below 30%

Only positive I'd say is that he can go to the basket and looks good defensively.

But there were so many better options.

Probably the best thing about him is that he'll accept a small role on the bench meekly
If he was a 40% 3 pt FG shooter he would have been out of our price range.

• Haha
Reactions: BoilerDeac
Not meant to be an excuse for anything. We should be a top 4 seed again next year with or without Edey. We won't land a high profile transfer because we choose not to play in that sandbox. I believe that based on historical precedent and current activity.
You do realize that Purdue has nothing to do with NIL right? It’s the boosters that make NIL deals. There is nothing stopping you from offering Cryer a million dollars to come to Purdue. Seems like you’d rather just do nothing and complain (wrongly) that this is somehow Painter’s fault for not using NIL. It’s not Purdue that’s not playing in the sandbox, it’s you that’s not playing in the sandbox.

Am I the only one on this board who thinks that what we really need is help from a three point shooter to make this team a title contender again if Zach stays?

The narrative is that we are loosing in the tournament because we can't keep in front of quicker guards, but if you look at the exits to lower seeds, we're not loosing because we can't stop the other team. In our last three tournament losses the opposing team has averaged 63.7 points in regulation. At the same time we've shot 24.7% from three in the 3 losses.

Over the course of the year Purdue gave up about 63 points per game. So is it our defense that's causing us to lose in the tourney? I really don't think so. Its hard to beat anyone when you shoot 19.2% from 3 on 26 shots.

I think we did great to land him. People calling for a 5 star player should consider what we have. Braden Smith is locked in at the #1 to get a 5* to come in and set behind him is not realistic. Why would a 5* transfer? Someone on here wanted Caleb Love he was nothing but trouble at NC few wanted him same with Sky Clark at Illinois. We still have the National Player of the Year. And until he leaves, we will continue to throw him the ball. Jones is a PG not a combo. Myles Colvin was just on national TV throwing down insane dunks and is a top 50 recruit. Who would want to come here and compete with him for PT? Those clamoring for a shooter well we have Myles coming in kid can bury the ball from deep. For any player to come to a top 5 team and expect to unseat a returning starter come on now. The two freshmen starters played well enough to have us ranked #1 for 7 weeks who wants to challenge them as sophomores? There is a reason we won the B10 championship and tourney along with the #1 ranking and these players know it. Think about it #1 with two freshman guards who does that? What transfer would cause Painter to change and not throw the ball to Zach? It's not always good to be good and Purdue is great.

Am I the only one on this board who thinks that what we really need is help from a three point shooter to make this team a title contender again if Zach stays?

The narrative is that we are loosing in the tournament because we can't keep in front of quicker guards, but if you look at the exits to lower seeds, we're not loosing because we can't stop the other team. In our last three tournament losses the opposing team has averaged 63.7 points in regulation. At the same time we've shot 24.7% from three in the 3 losses.

Over the course of the year Purdue gave up about 63 points per game. So is it our defense that's causing us to lose in the tourney? I really don't think so. Its hard to beat anyone when you shoot 19.2% from 3 on 26 shots.
I honestly think that Purdue has good outside shooters and I believe that the numbers will be better this year, especially with Loyer. It will be a point of emphasis in the off-season and the guys will show up ready next year. The ability is there.

Purdue needed another point guard with quickness and some physicality more and I think Jones will provide that.

I think we did great to land him. People calling for a 5 star player should consider what we have. Braden Smith is locked in at the #1 to get a 5* to come in and set behind him is not realistic. Why would a 5* transfer? Someone on here wanted Caleb Love he was nothing but trouble at NC few wanted him same with Sky Clark at Illinois. We still have the National Player of the Year. And until he leaves, we will continue to throw him the ball. Jones is a PG not a combo. Myles Colvin was just on national TV throwing down insane dunks and is a top 50 recruit. Who would want to come here and compete with him for PT? Those clamoring for a shooter well we have Myles coming in kid can bury the ball from deep. For any player to come to a top 5 team and expect to unseat a returning starter come on now. The two freshmen starters played well enough to have us ranked #1 for 7 weeks who wants to challenge them as sophomores? There is a reason we won the B10 championship and tourney along with the #1 ranking and these players know it. Think about it #1 with two freshman guards who does that? What transfer would cause Painter to change and not throw the ball to Zach? It's not always good to be good and Purdue is great.
Thank you! Thank you for this small paragraph of rational and knowledgeable thinking. Much appreciated. It off sets some of the other ignorant and misguided posts about this.

You do realize that Purdue has nothing to do with NIL right? It’s the boosters that make NIL deals. There is nothing stopping you from offering Cryer a million dollars to come to Purdue. Seems like you’d rather just do nothing and complain (wrongly) that this is somehow Painter’s fault for not using NIL. It’s not Purdue that’s not playing in the sandbox, it’s you that’s not playing in the sandbox.

The issue with what you're talking about is that Purdue still finances athletic scholarships from the John Purdue Club even after the massive influx of media cash, instead of freeing those JPC funds up toward NIL. So people here are giving, they're just giving to the wrong thing right now. So in a sense, NIL is Purdue's issue because they're really not stepping up to the plate.

I'm with you. I hope and will be happy to be completely wrong, but I just don't get this. 3rd team MVC and shot 28% from 3. I like the defensive player of the year but let's be honest, that isn't the biggest need we have at the guard position.

I really hope Smith makes a huge jump next year, because this signing basically says the job is his and may just mean a few less minutes.

I'm hopeful that we aren't done and maybe their will be a #2-#3 position guy that can really shoot that we land also.
I think you said it well. Unless Purdue lands a high profile guy as a second transfer their ability to improve next year lies primarily on the jumps made by Smith and Loyer and on whether Zach comes back.

Jones looks to me to be a nice piece who can add some quickness, athleticism and dribble containment on defense. If he can also serve as a primary ballhandler to let Smith go down to 25 to 28 mpg then this is a great fit. Anything beyond that like shooting a high percentage from three is gravy.

Myles Colvin will be a true freshman. Who knows if he'll be a difference maker in year 1. Same goes for Heide, other than the fact he was a RS freshman. Waddell looked lost earlier this past season. And if we are depending on Morton to play the 3 we're going to see more of the same in the tournament.

What Purdue needs is a proven combo guard who can either play the 3 or spell Loyer at the 2 and/or take his minutes. Lance Jones isn't that guy. He'll be fine to spell Braden for 10 or 15 minutes a game. But he's not going to be the difference maker as a combo guard.

Myles Colvin will be a true freshman. Who knows if he'll be a difference maker in year 1. Same goes for Heide, other than the fact he was a RS freshman. Waddell looked lost earlier this past season. And if we are depending on Morton to play the 3 we're going to see more of the same in the tournament.

What Purdue needs is a proven combo guard who can either play the 3 or spell Loyer at the 2 and/or take his minutes. Lance Jones isn't that guy. He'll be fine to spell Braden for 10 or 15 minutes a game. But he's not going to be the difference maker as a combo guard.
Disagree, Jones gets after it, I have no doubts he can fill in 5-10 minutes a night at the 2, no doubt he’s undersized but he’s very athletic and quick. Purdue picked up a 18-20 minute player in my opinion.

Disagree, Jones gets after it, I have no doubts he can fill in 5-10 minutes a night at the 2, no doubt he’s undersized but he’s very athletic and quick. Purdue picked up a 18-20 minute player in my opinion.
He may "get after it". But he played against MVC competition. IT moved down to a lower conference FGSU and he performed at nearly an all conference level (very similar stats to Jones). In a lot of cases that play as a undersized guard doesn't translate to P5 conference play.

He may "get after it". But he played against MVC competition. IT moved down to a lower conference FGSU and he performed at nearly an all conference level (very similar stats to Jones). In a lot of cases that play as a undersized guard doesn't translate to P5 conference play.
MVC had some good teams, he also played at Oklahoma State in a game last year and helped them win. No doubt the conference is a little lower level, however, we saw teams like Florida Atlantic and SD State in the final 4. Look, not saying he’ll be a world beater, however, trust me, the man’s got a good downhill game, hopefully, he’ll regain he 3 point form to his Jr season level, at least in the mid 30 range.

I took some time this morning to watch some video of him:

1. He is very aggressive on D and looks to be able to stay in front of his man very well. Will that translate up a level? I think it will. Quick is quick.

2. He takes a lot of very long 3's, like logo 3's. Not just when the shot clock was running down but with plenty of time still on the clock. That will change for sure at PU. I'm hopeful that will bring his 3% back to a number that really could help us.

3. Seems to have pretty good handles and doesn't mind driving and taking contact at the rim. If we can have some better shooting and spread the floor he may be able to take advantage and get to the rim. I didn't see any video of him "breaking a press" but from what I saw with his quickness and ball handling I don't think he could do anything but help us there.

4. Plays with enthusiasm and fire. Mackey will love that and I'm sure he will love them back.

I've been pretty clear what I was hoping we would get. This wasn't the pick up I was hoping for. But I'm hopeful that our hold-overs will take a step up in their play and Jones can help in areas that we need him to. Someone else had mentioned his D in practice helping Braden. I agree with that for sure. He looks to really enjoy playing defense.

I guess when you're accustomed to losing to this type of player in the tournament " if you can't beat them, join them"

I generally agree. If Painter was looking for a game changer, then Lance Jones looks underwhelming. If he was looking for back court depth, then Jones makes sense, especially if Lance can help the team handle pressure.

I'm sure Painter talked to Jones about how he'll fit into the team. Lance must have been amenable. Otherwise it's hard to see why Painter made the offer.

Who knows, maybe Painter is still shopping around for that special game changer. Maybe he thinks Colvin will be that guy. Maybe he believes Braden Smith and Fletcher Loyer have the potential to fill that roll.

Like you said, Painter's working with a really good foundation.

I trust the coach. But my initial reaction is that this is a downgrade from what Newman has proven he can do at this level. I look forward to being wrong.
Newman gave a few brief glimpes of what he could be. That was apparently always going to include really poor ballhandling and at least 1 total brain fart of a pass. And tease you with spells of good shooting that never last to the next game.
If this kid plays the D (all the time) he'll be just fine.
It ain't for his shooting. ;)

I took some time this morning to watch some video of him:

1. He is very aggressive on D and looks to be able to stay in front of his man very well. Will that translate up a level? I think it will. Quick is quick.

2. He takes a lot of very long 3's, like logo 3's. Not just when the shot clock was running down but with plenty of time still on the clock. That will change for sure at PU. I'm hopeful that will bring his 3% back to a number that really could help us.

3. Seems to have pretty good handles and doesn't mind driving and taking contact at the rim. If we can have some better shooting and spread the floor he may be able to take advantage and get to the rim. I didn't see any video of him "breaking a press" but from what I saw with his quickness and ball handling I don't think he could do anything but help us there.

4. Plays with enthusiasm and fire. Mackey will love that and I'm sure he will love them back.

I've been pretty clear what I was hoping we would get. This wasn't the pick up I was hoping for. But I'm hopeful that our hold-overs will take a step up in their play and Jones can help in areas that we need him to. Someone else had mentioned his D in practice helping Braden. I agree with that for sure. He looks to really enjoy playing defense.
replacemant for Jenkins, seems to have an all around better game

Thank you! Thank you for this small paragraph of rational and knowledgeable thinking. Much appreciated. It off sets some of the other ignorant and misguided posts about this.
it's a bit disturbing to see how many clueless fans are out there. our bandwagon DID GROW due to our time in the top 10.
Gonna get more obsession with 3's. ;)

he's replacing Jenkins essentially not Newman, another will be coming w/ shooting abilities to replace Newman
Not really replacing Newman. But it’s a wash with him.
I trust the coach. But my initial reaction is that this is a downgrade from what Newman has proven he can do at this level. I look forward to being wrong.
not replacing Newman, but an upgrade in ball handling and ability to get to the basket. Three point shooting a draw but if Zach returns he will get more open shots than at SIU. Lose size and rebounding but incoming frost will handle that.

I generally agree. If Painter was looking for a game changer, then Lance Jones looks underwhelming. If he was looking for back court depth, then Jones makes sense, especially if Lance can help the team handle pressure.

I'm sure Painter talked to Jones about how he'll fit into the team. Lance must have been amenable. Otherwise it's hard to see why Painter made the offer.

Who knows, maybe Painter is still shopping around for that special game changer. Maybe he thinks Colvin will be that guy. Maybe he believes Braden Smith and Fletcher Loyer have the potential to fill that roll.

Like you said, Painter's working with a really good foundation.

I agree. If this addition was about getting 10 minutes of relief for Smith per game, mission accomplished. If this is about adding a dynamic playmaker, Painter fell woefully short. Hopefully he's still after a difference maker for the 2/3 position...

Reactions: bonefish1
I think you said it well. Unless Purdue lands a high profile guy as a second transfer their ability to improve next year lies primarily on the jumps made by Smith and Loyer and on whether Zach comes back.

Jones looks to me to be a nice piece who can add some quickness, athleticism and dribble containment on defense. If he can also serve as a primary ballhandler to let Smith go down to 25 to 28 mpg then this is a great fit. Anything beyond that like shooting a high percentage from three is gravy.
If Smith and Loyer can just build on the promise that they showed this year before they each kind of hit the freshman wall, this Purdue backcourt is going to be very good. Jones provides needed depth.

Not really replacing Newman. But it’s a wash with him.

not replacing Newman, but an upgrade in ball handling and ability to get to the basket. Three point shooting a draw but if Zach returns he will get more open shots than at SIU. Lose size and rebounding but incoming frost will handle that.
Yes, the ball handling will be helpful. But a defensive player with an inconsistent 3 point shot sounds very familiar.

My only concern is I see all of the other top 10 teams going out and recruiting the best portal players available. Love signed with Michigan. Cryer signed with Houston. Dickinson has already named his new top 5 he is considering. I do not see any of the top portal players mentioning Purdue. And I don’t see Purdue even making offers to any of the top portal players. All I see is Purdue going after more role players and to improve their bench depth. I don’t see Purdue going after any players who might actually compete for or come to Purdue to be a starter. Purdue basketball is much different than Purdue football. Painter is looking for players to complement his existing team. Purdue football looks to the portal to acquire starters. Look at QB Card. He didn’t come to Purdue to back up Allen. He came to Purdue to start. Rather than looking for someone to back up Loyer and Smith, I believe Painter should be recruiting players who are better and can beat them out and make Smith and Loyer the back up players. Think of how awesome Purdue could be if Painter landed portal players who were actually better than the players we already have! Did Purdue even reach out to players like Dickinson, Cryer or Love, or did we just assume they would be a bad fit or not want to be backups? Admittedly we’d be a different team if any of those three came to Purdue. Changes would have to be made to accommodate their style and talents . Would that be a bad thing? I often wonder why Painter recruits so few top 50 players. I also wonder why so few top 50 players consider Purdue. As I look at the top 50 players, I see less than 10 players that even include Purdue as one of their top 5 choices. Just think what Painter could do if he recruited and signed the talent other teams signed. He was one of the first to recruit Gonzaga’s Holgram and Michigan’s Dickinson and several of IU’s players. And the player from Kokomo. And then he seems to back out of the recruitment when the big boys express interest.

The issue with what you're talking about is that Purdue still finances athletic scholarships from the John Purdue Club even after the massive influx of media cash, instead of freeing those JPC funds up toward NIL. So people here are giving, they're just giving to the wrong thing right now. So in a sense, NIL is Purdue's issue because they're really not stepping up to the plate.
We discussed this last year. The issue is that tickets are secured thru JPC points, not Alliance points. Not sure how you fix that.

My only concern is I see all of the other top 10 teams going out and recruiting the best portal players available. Love signed with Michigan. Cryer signed with Houston. Dickinson has already named his new top 5 he is considering. I do not see any of the top portal players mentioning Purdue. And I don’t see Purdue even making offers to any of the top portal players. All I see is Purdue going after more role players and to improve their bench depth. I don’t see Purdue going after any players who might actually compete for or come to Purdue to be a starter. Purdue basketball is much different than Purdue football. Painter is looking for players to complement his existing team. Purdue football looks to the portal to acquire starters. Look at QB Card. He didn’t come to Purdue to back up Allen. He came to Purdue to start. Rather than looking for someone to back up Loyer and Smith, I believe Painter should be recruiting players who are better and can beat them out and make Smith and Loyer the back up players. Think of how awesome Purdue could be if Painter landed portal players who were actually better than the players we already have! Did Purdue even reach out to players like Dickinson, Cryer or Love, or did we just assume they would be a bad fit or not want to be backups? Admittedly we’d be a different team if any of those three came to Purdue. Changes would have to be made to accommodate their style and talents . Would that be a bad thing? I often wonder why Painter recruits so few top 50 players. I also wonder why so few top 50 players consider Purdue. As I look at the top 50 players, I see less than 10 players that even include Purdue as one of their top 5 choices. Just think what Painter could do if he recruited and signed the talent other teams signed. He was one of the first to recruit Gonzaga’s Holgram and Michigan’s Dickinson and several of IU’s players. And the player from Kokomo. And then he seems to back out of the recruitment when the big boys express interest.
You do know we were ranked #1 for 7 weeks this year right? Oh yeah and last year as well. Purdue went hard at Cryer but he was locked into Huston and rumor has it Houston tampered with him prior to transferring. Nearly everyone was afraid of love and why would we want Dickinson while we still have Zach? Your post lacks facts and undervalues Purdue's success past two years. Your complaining that Painter can't recruit top 50 players after he just had THE #1 Player of the year. Do you not see the irony?

You do know we were ranked #1 for 7 weeks this year right? Oh yeah and last year as well. Purdue went hard at Cryer but he was locked into Huston and rumor has it Houston tampered with him prior to transferring. Nearly everyone was afraid of love and why would we want Dickinson while we still have Zach? Your post lacks facts and undervalues Purdue's success past two years. You’re complaining that Painter can't recruit top 50 players after he just had THE #1 Player of the year. Do you not see the irony?
Yeah, having a sleaze bag for a coach definitely gets you a leg up in the portal game.

Purdue has a lot more coming back than the teams you mentioned. Purdue is just fine with what they have and the new guys coming in.

You realize that Michigan is losing basically everyone right? Houston is likely losing at least a couple of their best players.

Agree with your overall sentiment that Purdue could really rock it if Painter started consistently getting his first choices in recruiting. He's been able to do so much more often in recent years.

Last edited:
I like the fact we have a transfer in April v August. How quick can he be on campus playing and practicing with the current roster? I forgot that Jenkins didn’t sign until August and missed an entire summer working with everyone.

Especially important this year with our summer trip for basketball. Don't recall where we are going but Europe maybe?

I honestly think that Purdue has good outside shooters and I believe that the numbers will be better this year, especially with Loyer. It will be a point of emphasis in the off-season and the guys will show up ready next year. The ability is there.

Purdue needed another point guard with quickness and some physicality more and I think Jones will provide that.
Whatever Purdue has...players can improve their shooting. THAT can happen...AND the ability for that improvement "IF" sought (hard work between now and next year) will have a great chance to be on display if Zach returns and those looks are not really threatened

The kick to the nuts is the $500 Walmart gift card in NIL compensation going to him eats into a third of Purdue's available NIL for the season.
I guess you didn't get the memo that stated that Zach was getting over $800,000 a year in NIL?

Reactions: oldboiler52
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT